General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question about tire bubbles--

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 06:15 PM

I was cleaning my car this afternoon and I noticed that two of my tires (with less than 3k on all 4), two are developing a bulge--bubble on the sidewall. These two tires are both on the passenger side, and I know for sure that I have not hit anything since purchasing these tires.

To make a long story short, I bought these firestone sh30's two months ago and they have been pretty decent in the performance category, however I am scared of the craftmanship of the tires. I noticed these two bulges on the outter sidewall...
I was wondering if anyone can shed some thoughts on what causes these bulges if it is not from road hazards. I do drive fast (once a week for about two hrs to see my gf) and on the NJ turnpike, I usually am between 80-90mph...and I was wondering if it could be from the heat generated? And, yes, I check my tire pressure twice a week to maintain that they are 30psi (cold) at all times.

I guess I have to bring it back to the firestone dealership where I bought them and hope they will replace these? is that reasonable? I even bought their roadside road hazard warranty--and that better be covered...damn...I am pissed--the last three times I took the car to them in three consecutive weeks, the broke a stud each time--and scratch the cr*P out of my rims...and they never balanced the wheels right so when I am going past 65--the steering would vibrate like there is no tomorrow. Then, I took it to another shop and viola--they took care of it in no time...

I am venting? yes--and yes, their tires perform alright---but it sure as heck give me headaches like a big pain in the buttocks...should have bought the dunlop sp5000--but nooo, I had to go save a few dollars--let this be a lesson to be learned...

Old 12-03-2000, 06:24 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by humaras
I was cleaning my car this afternoon and I noticed that two of my tires (with less than 3k on all 4), two are developing a bulge--bubble on the sidewall. These two tires are both on the passenger side, and I know for sure that I have not hit anything since purchasing these tires.

To make a long story short, I bought these firestone sh30's two months ago and they have been pretty decent in the performance category, however I am scared of the craftmanship of the tires. I noticed these two bulges on the outter sidewall...
I was wondering if anyone can shed some thoughts on what causes these bulges if it is not from road hazards. I do drive fast (once a week for about two hrs to see my gf) and on the NJ turnpike, I usually am between 80-90mph...and I was wondering if it could be from the heat generated? And, yes, I check my tire pressure twice a week to maintain that they are 30psi (cold) at all times.

I guess I have to bring it back to the firestone dealership where I bought them and hope they will replace these? is that reasonable? I even bought their roadside road hazard warranty--and that better be covered...damn...I am pissed--the last three times I took the car to them in three consecutive weeks, the broke a stud each time--and scratch the cr*P out of my rims...and they never balanced the wheels right so when I am going past 65--the steering would vibrate like there is no tomorrow. Then, I took it to another shop and viola--they took care of it in no time...

I am venting? yes--and yes, their tires perform alright---but it sure as heck give me headaches like a big pain in the buttocks...should have bought the dunlop sp5000--but nooo, I had to go save a few dollars--let this be a lesson to be learned...

Get away from Firestone PERIOD. Alot of there tires are having alot of problems thats why I got rid of mine. Do not drive with your tires like that especially anything about 45mph. Your tires could blow out at any time. I would suggest get new tires if you can.

Old 12-03-2000, 06:33 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

The cables inside the tire are screwed....

I guess the tire is f-cked as well, I doubt they can repair that, at least thats what they told me. I rode over a huge pothole at like 40mph. The thing is, they might not want to repair or replace the tire under warranty and say it is your fault the cable popped because usually this stuff happens on impact of the tire hitting the edge of something.
Don't drive on high speeds, you don't want it to pop. But go see what Firestone says.. I think u gonna need new tires though

Old 12-03-2000, 07:35 PM
STFU n00b!

yup.. as has been said, that's almost always caused by one (some) of the belts snapping inside the tire. I've had my share of them too.. I had one of my pirelli's replaced as Maxus when it looked like that.. I asked them to see if it was repairable or anything.. they showed me the inside of the tire and it had a 2" slit on the rubber on the inside, across several radial belts. the slit went about halfway through the rubber.

pretty scary stuff, considering the few days, before I was hauling **** down a mountain and drove 1000 miles to get there, much of it at >110mph.
Old 12-03-2000, 10:49 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

whats wrong with all Firestone tires? i havent seen any probs other then that on the Explorer. I get tons of tires from all different brands with all kinds of probs. One tire has probs and the media blows it up like crazy and all of a sudden everyone claims to have recall tires from Civics to Grand Caravans.

Continential has a recall on tires from the Expedition and GoodYear tires are under investagation for tread seperations also. I dont like Firestone tires personally but i dont think anything is wrong with all Firestone tires.

Humaras, where excatly are the buldges? hopefully Firestone will take care of it for you. They should, considering it could be a defect, if not road hazard covers everything besides vandalism. Report them to the coporate office if they refuse. If you were in Bay Area, you could come to my shop and we'd take care of it for you....good luck
Old 12-04-2000, 02:12 AM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

Re: The cables inside the tire are screwed....

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I guess the tire is f-cked as well, I doubt they can repair that, at least thats what they told me. I rode over a huge pothole at like 40mph. The thing is, they might not want to repair or replace the tire under warranty and say it is your fault the cable popped because usually this stuff happens on impact of the tire hitting the edge of something.
Don't drive on high speeds, you don't want it to pop. But go see what Firestone says.. I think u gonna need new tires though

get rid of those quick. my uncle was in a pretty bad accident and it was caused because of the tire being that way. the bubble usually comes from trauma to the wheel, like a big *** BQE pothole, (NYCe MaXiMa knows what i am talking about.) so if you haven't hit anything and teh bubbles appear on the sidewall get them off because it is most likely a manufacturing defect. As far as i know weren't the problems with the firestone tires limited to just SUV's? i think their tires for cars aren't supposed to be messed up, but hey....if they fu*cked up once....

Jules
Old 12-04-2000, 04:18 AM

thanks for the advice

Turbo95Max.

In fact I think the tires handle very well--especially in the rain. I don't think they left out anything in the design of the tire, but perhaps in the production phase of it?
I drive on the BQE here in NY also, but I try to avoid all pothholes--and have been pretty successful--just go slow is my philosophy on the trenches of NY here.

The two tires with bulges are the front passenger and back passenger. The one (about the size of a quarter) in the front is right before the F(in firestone) and the back one is a bit smaller--maybe the size of a nickel...and that is in one of the letters of firestone.

I don't usually drive my car during the week--only on the weekends--but first thing next weekend, I will bring the tires back to the firestone dealership...*cross my fingers*

Thanks Turbo--I'd appreciate it...and yes, I wished I lived in the Bay area--where the air is cleaner and the middle of NYC doesn't look like a shopping havoc now.

Brian =)

QUOTE]Originally posted by Turbo95Max
whats wrong with all Firestone tires? i havent seen any probs other then that on the Explorer. I get tons of tires from all different brands with all kinds of probs. One tire has probs and the media blows it up like crazy and all of a sudden everyone claims to have recall tires from Civics to Grand Caravans.

Continential has a recall on tires from the Expedition and GoodYear tires are under investagation for tread seperations also. I dont like Firestone tires personally but i dont think anything is wrong with all Firestone tires.

Humaras, where excatly are the buldges? hopefully Firestone will take care of it for you. They should, considering it could be a defect, if not road hazard covers everything besides vandalism. Report them to the coporate office if they refuse. If you were in Bay Area, you could come to my shop and we'd take care of it for you....good luck
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-04-2000, 07:13 AM

Matt--

These tire bubbles--are they affected by the ambient (outside) temperature? I noticed these yesterday after the tires have been driven on, but this morning when I went outside to see where they are so I can put a little mark on it--I couldn't see it. But the temperature this morning is in the 20's and the tires have not been driven on...
does that and would that make the bubbles noticeable? I do notice them bulging yesterday--

I am just damn paranoid now--just don't want to be stranded on the side of the road...or have one of these suckers pop on me...

*ugh*

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
yup.. as has been said, that's almost always caused by one (some) of the belts snapping inside the tire. I've had my share of them too.. I had one of my pirelli's replaced as Maxus when it looked like that.. I asked them to see if it was repairable or anything.. they showed me the inside of the tire and it had a 2" slit on the rubber on the inside, across several radial belts. the slit went about halfway through the rubber.

pretty scary stuff, considering the few days, before I was hauling **** down a mountain and drove 1000 miles to get there, much of it at >110mph.
Old 12-04-2000, 07:42 AM

Brian, bulges in you tires >>

mean that the steel plys in the tire have let go. Get new tires...and get them quickly.

Firestone is ok...the problems that they had with the Explorers are due to differences in opinions with OE tire pressure recommendations. The same goes for Continental tires.

Try and stick with tires that are E-code specified...meaning that on the sidewall of the tire, there will be a E accompanied by a number ranging from 1 to 14, both within a circle.
Old 12-04-2000, 07:47 AM

Re: Brian, bulges in you tires >>

Hey man--what's going on there ALbert--how is work on a Monday morning--I am alittle bored here.

yeah, I noticed the little bulge yesterday after coming back from Jersey. I was going pretty fast on the turnpike--about 85ish and I think there is some heat buildup because I saw a bulge in the front passenger side immediately and one on the back passenger. This morning--I didn't seem them again and I think it has to do with the temperature (it is about 25' this morning when I went outside) but they were there yesterday. So it is hard to point out again without driving it. I gotta bring it back to firestone and see what they say--I think I need new ones which should be covered under my road hazard.

Another thing is that I sort of regreat buying the firestones--should have gone with the dunlops...but I will take this as a learning lesson...

Originally posted by Albertt
mean that the steel plys in the tire have let go. Get new tires...and get them quickly.

Firestone is ok...the problems that they had with the Explorers are due to differences in opinions with OE tire pressure recommendations. The same goes for Continental tires.

Try and stick with tires that are E-code specified...meaning that on the sidewall of the tire, there will be a E accompanied by a number ranging from 1 to 14, both within a circle.