General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Speedo and temp guage problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 04:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Speedo and temp guage problems

i have an 89 SE with the following guage problems:

Speedo works off and on usually works when I first start off then drops to zero for a while then after getting either warmed up for a while or after hitting a few bumps starts to work. Once it's working it seems to stay working. When it's wet or raining it may not work at all until it's dry outside.

Temp guage is usually in normal range but runs up to the highest temp quickly then will drop back down into normal range. This like the speedo is intermittent, tapping on the temp guage sometimes makes it drop back to normal range also.

Any ideas, anyone else every have a problem like this? BTW, my speed sensor is new and everything else works fine, electrically speaking that is.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:54 AM

Re: Speedo and temp guage problems

Originally posted by khantman
i have an 89 SE with the following guage problems:

Speedo works off and on usually works when I first start off then drops to zero for a while then after getting either warmed up for a while or after hitting a few bumps starts to work. Once it's working it seems to stay working. When it's wet or raining it may not work at all until it's dry outside.

Temp guage is usually in normal range but runs up to the highest temp quickly then will drop back down into normal range. This like the speedo is intermittent, tapping on the temp guage sometimes makes it drop back to normal range also.

Any ideas, anyone else every have a problem like this? BTW, my speed sensor is new and everything else works fine, electrically speaking that is.
Sounds like my wife's '88 Nissan PU's speedo. Its problem is that the needle is slightly bent and sticks. I straightened it awhile ago, and it worked for a little while. But it is bent again. You may want to check your needle before doing anything that costs money.