General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wow, I didn't know Jetta's, sentra's, and GT celica's could go 155mph &could whoop me

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 05:00 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Wow, I didn't know Jetta's, sentra's, and GT celica's could go 155mph &could whoop me

I was washing my car today and a neighborhood kid came over and was like "I really like your duals, damn your car looks nice". Well I said thanks and thought he was pretty cool, but then he said some really dumb things.

He were talking about his job and stuff, and then he changed the subject to cars. First, he brought up his friends Celica GT 5spd (140HP) with the "action package". He started talking about how he and the kid got on the freeway and took it up to 120 in 8 seconds. Then he said it can top out between 150-160mph. I was just like O really? Cool. Good to know.
I started talking numbers and how I would take it but he still thinks it would whoop me on the highway. I can't race the kid cause he's in Virginia right now.

Second, he started talking about his brothers Sentra. No, not a Spec V, not even an SE-R. Just a regular '97 sentra automatic. He said it pulls and with an air filter and exhaust it could take me on the highway.

Now here comes the dumbest part. He says he is getting a '97 Jetta 5spd. He says they are very overlooked performance wise and that it could be in the 13's with a good air filter and exhaust. And of course he said it would whoop me hard.

Does anyone actually know the real top speed of that celica so I can bring him off cloud 9? There is no way a puny little 4 banger can reach 150-160mph. Secondly, about the Sentra, all the info on that is appriciated as well. And about the Jetta...someone please give me the real facts about it so I can say more to him than "it's a chick car"
Old 06-10-2002, 05:09 PM

smoke him. 120mph prolly for the celica, but then he'll use the speedometer excuse "the speedometer goes up to 160mph so that means it'll go that far"

sentra will stop around 105mph like auto civics.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
smoke him.
I can't race the kid cause he's in Virginia right now.
And I think he's up there perminatally b/c his parents got divorced and he's with his mom. I just found out all the trash talk today too, pretty convienent huh.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

I found it too funny so I just said smoke him didn't read the whole thing
Old 06-10-2002, 05:13 PM

I found it too funny so I just said smoke him didn't read the whole thing
It's all good.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:15 PM

It's all good.
a auto sunfire said that to me last week I gave him the launch/head start, he couldn't even spin tires then I take off slowly then floor it & by 4k rpm first gear I was already a car length ahead then switched into his lane & kept putting distance on it. Then I said after the race" want me to launch this time?" the guy said "if I had my mom's grand am, u'll be dead"
Old 06-10-2002, 05:15 PM

Re: Wow, I didn't know Jetta's, sentra's, and GT celica's could go 155mph &could whoop me

Craig

Guy's smoking crack, tell him to stop staring at the km/h numbers. In the US, we use mph
Old 06-10-2002, 05:19 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Wow, I didn't know Jetta's, sentra's, and GT celica's could go 155mph &could whoop me

no older SE-R's came in automatic, and don't underestimate them...Nismo87 ran mid 15's in his with just intake and advanced timing.....I've heard of Wolfsberg Jettas running good number with intake and exahust mods, not sure of 13's though, but still intake and exahust mods on turbo engines usually show better gains than on N/A cars. Autoauthority over here in DC has a custom intake/ECU package for turbo Audi/VWs that advertises 30-40hp gain if I'm not mistaken and only $5-600 I think!
Old 06-10-2002, 05:27 PM

Re: Wow, I didn't know Jetta's, sentra's, and GT celica's could go 155mph &could whoo

And about the Jetta...someone please give me the real facts about it so I can say more to him than "it's a chick car"
Don't knock the Jetta. The 1.8T is a very mod friendly car. The engine is basically the same as in the Audi A4. With a chip the Jetta will make 180 hp (actually the 2002 GLS already comes this way). Add an exhaust and tweak the turbo and you can hit 200+ hp which for a car just a tad over 3000 lbs is plenty.

As for the Sentra and Celica, you would blow them away.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Celica speedo gets up to 160...doesn't mean the car will go that fast...i haven't had the GTS over 125 so i'm not sure if there is a limiter or not. I doubt the GT will get up that high. And why does he mention the action package? All it is, is a bodykit and spoiler
Old 06-10-2002, 05:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Wow, I didn't know Jetta's, sentra's, and GT celica's could go 155mph &could whoop me

Originally posted by DA-MAX
no older SE-R's came in automatic, and don't underestimate them...Nismo87 ran mid 15's in his with just intake and advanced timing.....I've heard of Wolfsberg Jettas running good number with intake and exahust mods, not sure of 13's though, but still intake and exahust mods on turbo engines usually show better gains than on N/A cars. Autoauthority over here in DC has a custom intake/ECU package for turbo Audi/VWs that advertises 30-40hp gain if I'm not mistaken and only $5-600 I think!
He said it wasn't a SE-R...
Old 06-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Wow, I didn't know Jetta's, sentra's, and GT celica's could go 155mph &could whoo

Originally posted by Myrv

Don't knock the Jetta. The 1.8T is a very mod friendly car. The engine is basically the same as in the Audi A4. With a chip the Jetta will make 180 hp (actually the 2002 GLS already comes this way). Add an exhaust and tweak the turbo and you can hit 200+ hp which for a car just a tad over 3000 lbs is plenty.

As for the Sentra and Celica, you would blow them away.
He said it was a '97 Jetta, they were not available with a 1.8T...
Old 06-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Wow, I didn't know Jetta's, sentra's, and GT celica's could go 155mph &could whoop m

Originally posted by Jaws
He said it wasn't a SE-R...
yeah I just re-read that..
Old 06-10-2002, 05:42 PM

"if I had my mom's grand am, u'll be dead"

Originally posted by Chris91SE
the action package? All it is, is a bodykit and spoiler
Old 06-10-2002, 06:44 PM

Luckily when I went to sell my loaded 01 SE

the punk *ss kid talked so much unnecessary crap that I decided against selling my car to him, he wasn't worthy. Best decision I ever made instead of getting an 02 I love my 01 and I only have 10 grand left on the loan.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190

that guy got all american cars in his family, my other friend asked him to race in his 91 hp civic today & he said no japanese cars are faster
Old 06-10-2002, 07:41 PM

I wasn't talking about the SE-R, and I don't think the Jetta was that 1.8 turbo. It's just a plain jain jetta, non turbo..which I hear are sloths. And when he said 13's with JUST a filter and a catback, I about lost it on him.

I just took that kid for a ride. Opened up the throttle several times . First time I went WOT was from a 20mph roll, and I wasn't even in the sweet spot of the gear and it didn't pull like it does when I am. Even then his face was like And he goes "ok maybe you CAN beat him!"...he kept saying that after everytime I floored it. I LOVE the low end punch of the VQ. Even in my soft shifting, power robbing autotragic it still pulls violently.

If ever anyone doubts your modded maxima, just take them for a ride...i've changed alot of minds that way!
Old 06-10-2002, 08:41 PM

OMG now that kid

I wasn't talking about the SE-R, and I don't think the Jetta was that 1.8 turbo. It's just a plain jain jetta, non turbo..which I hear are sloths. And when he said 13's with JUST a filter and a catback, I about lost it on him.

I just took that kid for a ride. Opened up the throttle several times . First time I went WOT was from a 20mph roll, and I wasn't even in the sweet spot of the gear and it didn't pull like it does when I am. Even then his face was like And he goes "ok maybe you CAN beat him!"...he kept saying that after everytime I floored it. I LOVE the low end punch of the VQ. Even in my soft shifting, power robbing autotragic it still pulls violently.

If ever anyone doubts your modded maxima, just take them for a ride...i've changed alot of minds that way!

Will run around and talk shiet to Vette and Porsche owners about how his neighbors Max could beat them.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:44 PM

Re: OMG now that kid

Originally posted by Blackgums100

Will run around and talk shiet to Vette and Porsche owners about how his neighbors Max could beat them.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:39 PM

The only way a 97 jetta can hit 150-160 is if it is being pulled by a Lingenfelter Corvette
Old 06-10-2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Cutlr7
The only way a 97 jetta can hit 150-160 is if it is being pulled by a Lingenfelter Corvette

That picture of Isaac is great, I especially like the colors, very 70's..
Old 06-10-2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Blackgums100

That picture of Isaac is great, I especially like the colors, very 70's..
Thanks!!!!
Old 06-11-2002, 04:47 AM

He could be telling the truth.. It could have taken him 8 seconds to get to 120 FROM 115!!!!

I was washing my car today and a neighborhood kid came over and was like "I really like your duals, damn your car looks nice". Well I said thanks and thought he was pretty cool, but then he said some really dumb things.

He were talking about his job and stuff, and then he changed the subject to cars. First, he brought up his friends Celica GT 5spd (140HP) with the "action package". He started talking about how he and the kid got on the freeway and took it up to 120 in 8 seconds. Then he said it can top out between 150-160mph. I was just like O really? Cool. Good to know.
I started talking numbers and how I would take it but he still thinks it would whoop me on the highway. I can't race the kid cause he's in Virginia right now.

Second, he started talking about his brothers Sentra. No, not a Spec V, not even an SE-R. Just a regular '97 sentra automatic. He said it pulls and with an air filter and exhaust it could take me on the highway.

Now here comes the dumbest part. He says he is getting a '97 Jetta 5spd. He says they are very overlooked performance wise and that it could be in the 13's with a good air filter and exhaust. And of course he said it would whoop me hard.

Does anyone actually know the real top speed of that celica so I can bring him off cloud 9? There is no way a puny little 4 banger can reach 150-160mph. Secondly, about the Sentra, all the info on that is appriciated as well. And about the Jetta...someone please give me the real facts about it so I can say more to him than "it's a chick car"
Old 06-11-2002, 04:55 AM

I agree with everyone here, kid's a dumbas s but from the way your title sounded I was like WTF. Especially since turbo sentras, jettas, and yes even some turbo celicas could soundly woop on a max. I've seen quite a few 11 sec renditions of these cars