General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

generic FSTB

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 10:54 PM

generic FSTB

I was wondering if there was any real difference between a generic FSTB that I can buy off of eBay opposed to a Courtesy FSTB or even maybe a Stillen.

I don't have much money to spend, but I don't want to spend any money on one at all if it's gonna be useless if I buy a generic FSTB. Anybody have any ideas about this that can enlighten me?
Old 06-10-2002, 11:03 PM

Re: generic FSTB

Originally posted by cheapo
I was wondering if there was any real difference between a generic FSTB that I can buy off of eBay opposed to a Courtesy FSTB or even maybe a Stillen.

I don't have much money to spend, but I don't want to spend any money on one at all if it's gonna be useless if I buy a generic FSTB. Anybody have any ideas about this that can enlighten me?

as long as its not hollow, theyre all the same except for how they look. also depends if you want to have a brand name part under the hood.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: generic FSTB

Originally posted by magnum

as long as its not hollow, theyre all the same except for how they look. also depends if you want to have a brand name part under the hood.
I assume you're not saying that there's anything wrong with a hollow FSTB, right magnum? We don't want to give anybody the wrong impression.

From the Maxfaqs:

"The Stillen bar is machined from solid aluminum, while Courtesy's is a hollow aluminum tube which has bends on each end. Stillen's bar being solid ultimately makes it a stronger bar, but in reality you won't notice any differences between the two."

The Maxfaqs are a bit dated, but the point about not noticing any differences between a solid FSTB and a hollow FSTB is still valid.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: Re: generic FSTB

Originally posted by y2kse

I assume you're not saying that there's anything wrong with a hollow FSTB, right magnum? We don't want to give anybody the wrong impression.

From the Maxfaqs:

"The Stillen bar is machined from solid aluminum, while Courtesy's is a hollow aluminum tube which has bends on each end. Stillen's bar being solid ultimately makes it a stronger bar, but in reality you won't notice any differences between the two."

The Maxfaqs are a bit dated, but the point about not noticing any differences between a solid FSTB and a hollow FSTB is still valid.
dont forget about the weight savings from using a hollow rather than a solid.