General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 01:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by jjs

OK, some items here...'intent to kill families'...maybe not exactly, but they certainly don't drive safely so as to keep them alive.

'I race on the freeway and the streets because there is no other place to go.' Oh that's a good one! Do you explode pipe bombs (another illegal activity) on the freeway and streets 'cuz you have nowhere else to go?

'If I were rich I would be open road racing legally in Nevada but I'm not. Mabey if the there were sanctioned places where we could street and freeway race we would, but that's just not happening.' Maybe true, but that doesn't mean you can do whatever you want whereever you want simply because you can't afford to do it where it is accepted.

'Young kids with fast cars will ALWAYS race, so why do parents and polititions stick their heads up their a$ses and pretend like it can just be stopped with some stupid adds and slogans. It's just like the "war on drugs." Did the war on drugs work? NO, because because people are going to do drugs regardless of the laws...JUST LIKE STREET RACING!' This makes a whole lot of sense...why don't we just chuck all ethics and social structure down the toilet? Drugs are illegal for a reason. Racing is illegal for a reason. Just because some people defy those laws does not make them any less valid. Addicts die and sometimes kill to make a score, racers die in accidents and sometimes kill in doing so pursuing 'a kill story'...

I would like to see which side of the fence you would be on if later tonight one of your family was scraped off the street or sponged out of a car due to morons racing around 'cuz they didn't have anywhere else to do it'.
1) No street racer wants, tries, or expects to kill people. I don't think anyone will disagree here.

2) No, when I was younger I exploded bombs in my backyard and on the beach. If I wasn't so illegal I would have had parent supervision, but....

3) Why can't I afford it? -- because it is a private run organization with insanely high fees. If the state put together a progam, they could make it affordable to all, but they wont.

4) "Drugs are illegal for a reason" -- YES! Because the government make more money that way. If drugs were decriminalized, dealers would go out of buisness and drug use would go down. Look at the Netherlands!!! The child drug you rate is incredibly lower than the united states. Kid are told that drugs are bad and that they shouldn't do them, so of course they are going to do them. I did/do. The Shafter Commission (government-funded study of pot) concluded in the 70's that the laws agains marijuana were far more damaging the marijuana itself could ever be. Yet marijuana is still illegal and kids still smoke more in the US than in holland. If we stop making such a fuss about this racing sh*t and give people a safer way to do it then it will benifit society. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

5) I will be on the exact same side of the fence. People will race no matter what. The only thing we can do is make a safer place to do it in hopes of saving lives.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

reminds me the lady who got killed by a car from the side show in Oakland....she wasnt even watching the side show....just walked by.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:21 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by Dan4614
Look at the Netherlands!!!
ya been there? I have.. it was nasty.. I *loved* heroin addicts harrassing me.. 'No thanks, I'm saving my money for all the strung out prostitutes..' :/

but I digress, we are getting alittle OT...
Old 06-11-2002, 01:25 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by Dan4614

1) No street racer wants, tries, or expects to kill people. I don't think anyone will disagree here.

2) No, when I was younger I exploded bombs in my backyard and on the beach. If I wasn't so illegal I would have had parent supervision, but....

3) Why can't I afford it? -- because it is a private run organization with insanely high fees. If the state put together a progam, they could make it affordable to all, but they wont.

4) "Drugs are illegal for a reason" -- YES! Because the government make more money that way. If drugs were decriminalized, dealers would go out of buisness and drug use would go down. Look at the Netherlands!!! The child drug you rate is incredibly lower than the united states. Kid are told that drugs are bad and that they shouldn't do them, so of course they are going to do them. I did/do. The Shafter Commission (government-funded study of pot) concluded in the 70's that the laws agains marijuana were far more damaging the marijuana itself could ever be. Yet marijuana is still illegal and kids still smoke more in the US than in holland. If we stop making such a fuss about this racing sh*t and give people a safer way to do it then it will benifit society. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

5) I will be on the exact same side of the fence. People will race no matter what. The only thing we can do is make a safer place to do it in hopes of saving lives.

OK, bubba:

1. Agreed.

2. Not sure what you are trying to say in this 'sentence'.

3. Not an excuse, as I indicated.

4. Partially true, but I really don't have that much concern of a 3000 lb roach clip coming at me at 90+ mph with no warning. Unless the roach clip is in the mouth of the street racing ricer.

5. This statement makes even less sense. Yes they will, apparently yes you will too...just for fun and to see your convictions on your issue...next time you race, pick a family member with small kids, around 4:00 in the afternoon on a sunny day, and race like hell down the street right in front of their house. Like you say, you gotta do it somewhere, and you certainly won't have intent, and on and on and on....
Old 06-11-2002, 01:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by jjs

2. Not sure what you are trying to say in this 'sentence'.
Look, what I'm saying is that when I was a kid, I was a pyro. My parents would have supervised my bombmaking and explosions, but they wouldn't because it was illegal and they didn't like it. What they didn't realize was that I would do it wether or not they were okay with it. If they had realized this fact, and given me a place to do it with their supervision, it would have made it 100 times safer and if there was an accident, they would be on the scene to help.

The same goes for racing. I felt that the implications of my statement were obvious, but...I guess not.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:02 PM

AND

What about all those dangerous Senior Citizens on the road out there? Should we retest them? J/k Mag
Old 06-11-2002, 02:05 PM
jjs

Re: AND

Originally posted by noflash
What about all those dangerous Senior Citizens on the road out there? Should we retest them? J/k Mag
Actually, YES!!
Old 06-11-2002, 02:06 PM

Re: Re: AND

Originally posted by jjs

Actually, YES!!
It'll never happen - seniors vote too much!
Old 06-11-2002, 02:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How about doing something about it?

Originally posted by TimW

Yeah.. but this isnt a cell phone enthusiast board... and we dont post stories about how 'my Nokia killed this Sprint PCS phone last night'
Yeah, but at the same time we shouldn't be yippin about how BAD we should feel because some punks killed some people and how we should all feel crappy because we have fast cars and some of us are guilty of messing around a little. It's food for thought, but think about killing people the next time your eating your big mac while driving. I'll bet a lot more of us eat and drive or phone and drive than actually street race.
Should we start harping on all that??

I just hope we can all realize the difference between accelerating fast from stop light to stop light and racing 150 in a 35 zone. Be smart...
Old 06-11-2002, 02:11 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: AND

No ****!
Old 06-11-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: AND

Can you say the power of the AARP

DW

Old 06-11-2002, 02:16 PM

Magellan, you've got a good idea here, but...

based on some of the other responses "defending" drag racing outside the track or even defending the culture, it's sad that your suggestion will fall on mostly deaf ears.

It would be so genuine to think the Maxima.org forum members rise to the top and take a stand on senseless injury and death due to drag racing. But as some of these posts clearly indicate, even IDIOTS buy Maximas.

Originally posted by Magellan
We all inherently know that drag racing is a moronic, juvenile and a mindless thing to do. But I have to agree that there will always be drag racing, including some participation from our less-gifted org members, who often make unsupportive excuses for it ("I only race late at night when I'm sure there's no one else around.").

But that doesn't mean we can't do something about it. I've suggested before that we ban all kill stories on this forum or any other post that boasts of street racing, including those brainless responses, e.g., "nice kill" or "congrats". Perhaps, just perhaps in a few cases, it will discourage some of our more impulsive members from racing solely because they wanted to brag and post the results here. It's a matter of setting a standard; something to set us apart from the other automotive forums; a statement that we have values related to safe and responsible driving.

And don't tell me it won't work. We only have to save one life someday to declare success.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: correct...

the kids probably have zero net worth.. but their parents will probably lose alot, the case will probably easily exceed the insurance coverage and defending them from manslaughter charges.
This is exactly why I never want to have kids. In my opinion this tragedy should mostly be blamed on the parents of those 2 kids. What in the hell are two high-school aged kids doing driving $50,000 cars with tons of horsepower??? The parents probably had no idea where the kids were even at when the accident happened. To me this is the same as if you own a pit bull and it kills someone. You know going in to it that pit bulls are dangerous and are bred to kill. If you still decide to own one, you should be held responsible for its actions as if they were your own.

just my $.02 worth...
Old 06-11-2002, 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Ohh the arguments on symantics. I do the occasional street race. The closest drag strip is about 1 1/2 hours from me. You think im gonna grab the guy next to me and say, "Hey meet me there on sat. at 3!" Where do you think drag racing got started? On the streets! Punk kids in the 20's souped up model T's and were drag racing in the dirt. And no im not joking. Granted the NHRA took things off the streets. People also don't want drag-strips around here because of the noise. Im pretty sure my state legislature isn't going to fund a "drag racing" program. I don't even like to drag race that much. I like road racing. Do you know how expensive that is? Auto-x ing is kinda booring cause they are so short. Your left with choices, and the american way! To drag or not to drag, dress in drag, or whatever! Its like the signatures of people on the .org that have their max "maxxed" out at 140. I think i've seen 10 of those on here. I'm more worried about the cops when i race than people running out into the street. I have to be extremely careful when i so also because of the extreme amount of unattentive drivers that probably don't even know they are driving! back to what i said about more education. Education is key.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Magellan, you've got a good idea here, but...

So I can get the proper frame of reference, do you frequent the track alot? And if not, what was your decesion for buying a maxima? It would seem that any speed exhibition on our part seems to constitute racing in your view. And if that's the case, why buy a maxima w/ either the 227 or 255hp engine when the Camry 4 clinder would do the same?? Especially when you apparently lump what these kids did to what alot of us do inbetween stop lights every once in awhile. So if a little challange makes me an idiot in your view so be it. But in the same view, there are complete and utter murdering morons using cell phones, eating, reading the paper, applying make-up, operating SUVs w/ huge blind spots/handle terrible while driving also.

Originally posted by dmarion
based on some of the other responses "defending" drag racing outside the track or even defending the culture, it's sad that your suggestion will fall on mostly deaf ears.

It would be so genuine to think the Maxima.org forum members rise to the top and take a stand on senseless injury and death due to drag racing. But as some of these posts clearly indicate, even IDIOTS buy Maximas.

Old 06-11-2002, 02:36 PM
My 4DSC

Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

What will it take?
A local Autobahn to get out my frustrations on you slow a-s-s drivers.

Old 06-11-2002, 02:46 PM

Re: Magellan, you've got a good idea here, but...

Oh, get off your high horse Jesus!
Old 06-11-2002, 02:51 PM
jjs

dmarion

Point just proven for you.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:00 PM

Re: Re: Magellan, you've got a good idea here, but...

haha, beats a high chair
Old 06-11-2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
So I can get the proper frame of reference, do you frequent the track alot? And if not, what was your decesion for buying a maxima? It would seem that any speed exhibition on our part seems to constitute racing in your view. And if that's the case, why buy a maxima w/ either the 227 or 255hp engine when the Camry 4 clinder would do the same?? Especially when you apparently lump what these kids did to what alot of us do inbetween stop lights every once in awhile. So if a little challange makes me an idiot in your view so be it. But in the same view, there are complete and utter murdering morons using cell phones, eating, reading the paper, applying make-up, operating SUVs w/ huge blind spots/handle terrible while driving also.

No, I never go to a track. I’ve driven Maximas for many years because I like the looks, luxury, and performance. I believe that a high performance car can actually be safer to drive. For example, entering a uphill freeway ramp or passing on a busy two lane road is certainly safer in a car with more guts. I could no more drive a four cylinder than I would go back to PC’s with a 6Mhz speed chip. I make good use of the power without the need to race.

You may have a misconception of senior citizens. Most of us are still good drivers who like nice cars and know how to drive them. And when the day arrives that I can no longer cope, I’ll turn in my license for a bus pass.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Magellan, you've got a good idea here, but...

Well I was asking the orginal poster but I found this part funny haha. In most cases, you have to pry the keys out of most dude's cold hands before they give up their driving priviledges(regardless of age!)

Originally posted by Magellan

You may have a misconception of senior citizens. Most of us are still good drivers who like nice cars and know how to drive them. And when the day arrives that I can no longer cope, I’ll turn in my license for a bus pass.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by Foglght
Ohh the arguments on symantics. I do the occasional street race. The closest drag strip is about 1 1/2 hours from me. You think im gonna grab the guy next to me and say, "Hey meet me there on sat. at 3!" Where do you think drag racing got started? On the streets! Punk kids in the 20's souped up model T's and were drag racing in the dirt. And no im not joking. Granted the NHRA took things off the streets. People also don't want drag-strips around here because of the noise. Im pretty sure my state legislature isn't going to fund a "drag racing" program. I don't even like to drag race that much. I like road racing. Do you know how expensive that is? Auto-x ing is kinda booring cause they are so short. Your left with choices, and the american way! To drag or not to drag, dress in drag, or whatever! Its like the signatures of people on the .org that have their max "maxxed" out at 140. I think i've seen 10 of those on here. I'm more worried about the cops when i race than people running out into the street. I have to be extremely careful when i so also because of the extreme amount of unattentive drivers that probably don't even know they are driving! back to what i said about more education. Education is key.
Foglight,
I think you have given the most intelligent opinions that I have ever read in a thread about racing. You're right, we give kids cars at age 16 with pratically no real driving skills and then we have a bunch of uneducated teens racing down the freeway as fast as the car will go. I know this because I WAS one of these teens (and still am to an extent). When I got my max, I was on the freeway in no time bouncing of that 130 limiter. It was only later that I actually sat down and did some reading about racing, driving techniques, etc... I also reapetedly went to a wet parkinglot and used it as my own giant skid pad to see how my car skids around and how to regain control. I read about tires and upgraded to Bridgestone S-03s asap (BTW if everyone had S-03s the freeway would be a much safer place).

All of this preparation But it was after the fact. I had been racing for months before I was actually ready. These stories we read aren't usually about someone getting killed because someone was racing. They are about someone getting killed because someone was racing like an IDIOT. Education really is key. I think it would be good if everone had behind-the-wheel instruction on a skid pad and/or track. But like sanctioned road racing, it will never happen because it is too expensive.. If I ever have the extra cash, I'm going to one of those race-oriented instruction classes.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:54 PM

hmmm...

this is pretty interesting stuff...

i'm speechless...
Old 06-11-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Magellan, you've got a good idea here, but...

Well I was asking the orginal poster but I found this part funny haha. In most cases, you have to pry the keys out of most dude's cold hands before they give up their driving priviledges(regardless of age!)

That’s true. But I was thinking of my father, who will turn 92 in August. Around the age of 87 he found himself getting lost and banging up his fenders trying to park next to a post in his
apartment garage (He still lives by himself). So he called me and said “That’s it, sell my car before I hurt somebody.” He turned in his license for a photo ID. After 70 years of driving it hurt
him deeply, but it was the responsible thing to do.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Honestly I'm tired of hearing how street racing has become the scourge of the roads. People die every day because of other people's incompetence or lack of judgement. Where's their news story? Death is death. What's the difference between a teenager in a corvette slamming in the back of you or an elderly person in a crown vic that t-bones you at an intersection because they can't see the light?

Before "the fast and the furious" came out drivers using cell phones were the target. And before that aggressive driving was the hot topic. How many times has each and every one of us had our life put in jeopardy because of someone else's careless, reckless, or aggressive driving?

There's nothing we can do stop street racing, aggressive driving, or just plain bad driving. As a driver today you have to be aware of your surroundings all the time!! This includes when you are not in motion.

This past weekend I could have been street pizza on my motorcycle. I was on a two lane highway with a speed limit of 55mph stopped at a traffic light. The cavalier 50 yards behind me didn't notice that the light was red or me for that matter. I was in the left hand lane and there was a car already stopped in the right hand lane. I watched the cavalier approach very fast in my side view mirror and knew she wasn't paying attention. So I pulled ahead into the intersection and got infront of the stopped car on the right. Sure enough once she saw me move she drilled her brakes and skidded to halt 10' into the intersection.

I avoided that accident through the training I received at the motorcycle safety foundation course. The riding tactics they teach have made me a better rider and a better driver. The one lesson they teach that everyone should take to heart is that you are NEVER SAFE on the street.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

'No thanks, I'm saving my money for all the strung out prostitutes..' :/
Anyone have any idea of how much the airfare is right now to the Netherlands?
Old 06-11-2002, 05:48 PM
lcf

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by F23A4

Anyone have any idea of how much the airfare is right now to the Netherlands?
just go to vegas.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:01 PM

People die because they are not as experinced or savvy as the rest of us!

However they all feel racing is good and it is the rest of the fools who do not know what they are doing.
I see dead people....look at the posts
Old 06-11-2002, 06:08 PM

Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by speedtrip
Honestly I'm tired of hearing how street racing has become the scourge of the roads. People die every day because of other people's incompetence or lack of judgement. Where's their news story? Death is death. What's the difference between a teenager in a corvette slamming in the back of you or an elderly person in a crown vic that t-bones you at an intersection because they can't see the light?

Before "the fast and the furious" came out drivers using cell phones were the target. And before that aggressive driving was the hot topic. How many times has each and every one of us had our life put in jeopardy because of someone else's careless, reckless, or aggressive driving?

There's nothing we can do stop street racing, aggressive driving, or just plain bad driving. As a driver today you have to be aware of your surroundings all the time!! This includes when you are not in motion.

This past weekend I could have been street pizza on my motorcycle. I was on a two lane highway with a speed limit of 55mph stopped at a traffic light. The cavalier 50 yards behind me didn't notice that the light was red or me for that matter. I was in the left hand lane and there was a car already stopped in the right hand lane. I watched the cavalier approach very fast in my side view mirror and knew she wasn't paying attention. So I pulled ahead into the intersection and got infront of the stopped car on the right. Sure enough once she saw me move she drilled her brakes and skidded to halt 10' into the intersection.

I avoided that accident through the training I received at the motorcycle safety foundation course. The riding tactics they teach have made me a better rider and a better driver. The one lesson they teach that everyone should take to heart is that you are NEVER SAFE on the street.

Good you avoided an accident and should commended for it, the difference here is two perfectly innocent people died and most likely never had a chance to do anything to save themselves because of two foolish spoiled rich kids whose parents are now going to hire expensive lawyers to keep there little angels out of jail.
Have a little compassion for the innocent in this case. Oh yeah the big difference of the two accidents you mentioneed at the top is one is very negligent and other with the old lady was an accident and accidents do happen. Your comparision stinks.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:25 PM
Maxima06071

Two innocent people were killed last night on Long Island due to two apparent drag racers who slammed into them while drag racing. The news report this morning showed their car sliced in pieces. Meanwhile, all the occupants of both drag racing cars escaped with minor injuries.

Sometime today or perhaps tonight we'll find out more about the two victims: whether they had children, sisters, brothers, mothers, or fathers. We'll find out what they enjoyed doing the most and how they made an impact on other people's lives. Their family, friends, work collegues, and aquaintences will mourn their passing. Time will help to heal the hurt, but for some closer to these victims, the hurt will never go away.

But the illegal drag racing goes on. No Maximas were involved on this night. But on any given day or night, the next drag racing victim won't care which type of car ended their life 10-, 20-, maybe 30-years earlier than it should have.

What will it take for the DRAG RACING IDIOTS to stop the violence against innocent drivers? What will it take?
Free drag strips...pity though, it's always so horrible to hear that the only people who get killed are the innocents. But the Racers will have to live with the pain that irresponsibility ended the lives of others.

Old 06-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by hollywood7301

"Oh Dear God, won't someone think of the children?!?"

dmarion, you make a good point, but try not to sound like a farking reactionary/panicky den-mother when doing so.

Hell, I've read books (no joke here, NON-FICTION)where Amish kids drag-race their buggies! Since time began we've had people racing. How many Roman parents told their kids, "Don't chariot race on the streets or outside of Rome. Do it in the coliseum."

...And I'm sure they probably listened.

Fifty years from now, our descendents will shake their heads sadly as they sit on the moon and read about the moon-buggy drag racing gone horribly wrong:

"Three dead, two injured as illegal moon-buggy race ends in crash into side of the Tycho Brahe crater."

As long as people have any kind of control over any kind of personal transportation device, they will race.

I could say "Fark it! It's natural selection!" But it isn't, when something like this happens.

dmarion's right, though.

It is dangerous, and illegal as hell. A lot of us on this forum are guilty of it. Some spend their weeknends crusing and racing. Others will race when they see a good opportunity. I'm guilty of it, as well.

As for idiots, well...

I've noticed even really smart people do really stupid things occasionally. How else would you explain...oh...Battlefield Earth?
True, true, It's like people have been streetracing ever since they've had a mod of transportation to do so, I hate how the news paper proclaims that street racing is a problem today. Hell my grandparents street raced their Studebakers and Fords back in the 50's; if it wasn't for stupid movies like Grease that glorifies street racing. Man whats our world coming to. Blah

Old 06-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Maxima06071

Re: this is just like drunk driving..

back in the early 70's, no big deal.. what you killed somebody? hey, quit that.

Just like in some states, 20mph over will get you arrested. Soon enough, the penalties will be so stiff, you'd be crazy to street race. Another 5 years, you'll probably get attempted murder for cutting someone off. Just a matter of time.

Statistically, its only a matter of time til something tragic happens to someone we know. And the reprocusions and sense of loss will outweight the "but hey its a fact of life, whatya gonna do" attitude. After that, I'm sure 'Street Racing = Bad' post wont be so hotly debated.
Yeah I can see the Neadlines now...
"....today was a dark and tragic day in our nations history when our President George Walker Bush was killed in a traffic incidnet involving street racing. The Presidnet was crusing I-459 when a souped-up Honda Civic sped up and honked three times to The 1st Limo, and it's being reported that the President whispered into the limo driver's ear "Smoke him", obviously a line from the movie "The Fast and The Furious" and oh what a bad movie that was, the driver honked back and the race started, the Civic imediately blew an engine 5 seconds in to the race and swerved into a gasoline tanker, which sent all three vehicles into a blazing fireball. Sad sad indeed Cindy; but stress not America we'll have more at eleven!

Old 06-11-2002, 08:11 PM

Let's install riskometers

Street racing is risky not only to oneself but to other people also. There should be no argument over this. However, I am sure there is not a single person reading this thread who has never done something risky that jeopardized both themselves and innocent people around them to some degree. Most of the time, depending on the risk being taken, things turn out okay and we all go on with our lives. At what point should the risks we take become a criminal offence?

If we all had a gauge on our dashboards for the percentage chance of harming an innocent victim (harm to self or personal property are not a factor) in the next 5 seconds it would never read zero for any one of us. There are so many factors that could make that gauge increase that mentioning them all is impossible. If this imaginary gauge existed we could set a limit that should never be passed (let's say 0.0005%) and expect all drivers to adhere to this. Any harmful event that occurs while the gauge is greater than 0.0005 would automatically be the drivers fault with no argument. If multiple drivers are involved with levels >0.0005 they would share blame based on their numbers.

Would it be possible to street race and keep your gauge under 0.0005? I think that it would be entirely possible. Would it change street racing? I doubt it. There always going to be dumba$$es who brag about taking their gauge to the 50% mark. All you can do as an individual is try to keep your own risk gauge in an acceptable range. That does not necessarily mean that you have to keep your risk gauge as low as possible.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the prerequisite lesson, Jeff

I now know what intelligence it takes to become a Moderator of this board. And you've set the bar. Quick, use your admin. privledges to kill this post...

And to your post: I don't frequent "the track" alot. In fact, I stay away from tracks. Never attracted me, never will. There.

As to my decision(s) for buying a Maxima:

1) Reliability

2) Value

3) Style

4) Performance (responsibly getting onto freeways with confidence).

Can a Camry satisfy all of the above? Maybe. Maybe not. But it appears you feel the need for speed is your prerequisite for buying a Maxima. So I guess I should just trade mine in because I don't race... on the track or otherwise.

OMG, a Moderator defending street racing. Ever think of working for the cigarette industry? They can use a hired hand.

As for lumping teenagers and you into the same pot, you bet I do. What makes you any more responsible than those kids on LI? Because you only "do it" in between stop lights every once in a while? Oh, what a pathetic arguement. Doing it once a month at a stop light or 3 times a week makes no difference to me. It puts innocent people in harm's way. Period. Don't try to justify your behavior. That's moronic.

As for your assertions of morons using cell phones, eating, reading etc:

My original post was about street racing and to the point. Want to muddy the issue? Why don't you bring drug abuse, chicken-fighting, and armed robbery into the picture? All with their own problems, just like idiot street racers.

Jeff, if you have the need to be behind a wheel driving 140 mph, I have no problem with that. As long as it's done on the track where others can't get hurt or killed. Anybody or you trying to justify and support your position regarding drag racing on public streets is just so ridiculous.

Old 06-11-2002, 08:24 PM

Let me get this straight. I start this post early this morning after hearing initial reports of two people killed by drag racers on Long Island, respond to a suggestion offered by another poster, then I'm labeled for being on a high horse.

Interesting.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:25 PM
lcf

Re: Thanks for the prerequisite lesson, Jeff

you miss the whole point, sigh.

justification? no where in this entire thread are there justifications for street racing. however, there are many responses telling you to go cry somewhere else, about something else, because there are bigger fish to fry elsewhere... you even listed some of them yourself.

I now know what intelligence it takes to become a Moderator of this board. And you've set the bar. Quick, use your admin. privledges to kill this post...

And to your post: I don't frequent "the track" alot. In fact, I stay away from tracks. Never attracted me, never will. There.

1) Reliability

2) Value

3) Style

Can a Camry satisfy all of the above? Maybe. Maybe not. But it appears you feel the need for speed is your prerequisite for buying a Maxima. So I guess I should just trade mine in because I don't race... on the track or otherwise.

OMG, a Moderator defending street racing. Ever think of working for the cigarette industry? They can use a hired hand.

As for lumping teenagers and you into the same pot, you bet I do. What makes you any more responsible than those kids on LI? Because you only "do it" in between stop lights every once in a while? Oh, what a pathetic arguement. Doing it once a month at a stop light or 3 times a week makes no difference to me. It puts innocent people in harm's way. Period. Don't try to justify your behavior. That's moronic.

My original post was about street racing and to the point. Want to muddy the issue? Why don't you bring drug abuse, chicken-fighting, and armed robbery into the picture? All with their own problems, just like idiot street racers.

Jeff, if you have the need to be behind a wheel driving 140 mph, I have no problem with that. As long as it's done on the track where others can't get hurt or killed. Anybody or you trying to justify and support your position regarding drag racing on public streets is just so ridiculous.

Old 06-11-2002, 09:15 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I just have one remark. I race when it looks safe. Owned an SUV for 3 years, and I would never race anyone init, because it wasnt safe. But I think a lot of you guys are climbing on your High Horses too soon. Go back and do a search on every "KILL" thread here. Where were 99% of those made.. On a public Road !, Including myself ! Thats STREET RACING TOO ! , I was involved in Illegal Street Races on Francis Lewis Blvd in Queens many years in the early 90's. I know of many fatalities. It is unsafe. But dont pontificate on a board geared towards making your car FASTER ! Where do you think most of us display our speed.... I dont endorse street racing, but sadly, most of us participate in it , whether you want to admit it or not !
Old 06-11-2002, 09:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Thanks for the prerequisite lesson, Jeff

Well, I'm not the 140mph in a 20mph school zone driver you make me out to be. If you sensed some hate to you from my post you must be mistaken. I tried to write it as sanely as possible. But judging by your reply, I guess you cannot/will not be able to have a discussion on the subject w/o getting upset. I post just like you here. Trust me, if I wanted to screw w/ your post I would have already. But you see any of that? If you think that's the way a moderator must win arguments, then I guess that's one reason you're not one. But more getting to the point. If you want to lump ALL types of illegal driving behavior, so be it. But by your own statements "performance", that can also be seen as illegal driving behavior right? You mean you label everyone here a total moron driver but you can label yourself as responible in regards to handling your "performance automobile"?? Quite assuming there. I did by no means suggest you buy another car. I mearly asked why you chose to buy a sports oriented 4-door sedan when you quite obivously don't drive it in the style in which it was marketed. The only factor the 4 cylinder Camry doesn't match(if not surpass) is the performance one. And the only reason you list for using more hp than the Camry offers is for onramps. I don't know about you, but it seems the other many thousands of 4 cylinder Camry owners seem to get on the freeway just fine. I actually thought you were going to say you did actually go to the track on occasion.

As far as defending street racing in the manner of your original post, again more incorrect assumptions.

As far as justifing that behavior, again, I've already stated that defending that kind of driving behavior would be impossible, but I digress.

Exactly how does a spirited stop light move become "feeling the need to drive 140mph"?? I've already seperated my behavior from the those teens. But here is the key point, YOU DON'T SEPERATE IT. It's one type of driving right? So any type of driving, whether it's mildly illegal or not is being fiercly objected too correct? So my whole point is, if you ever used a cell phone, ate a donut, drank a cup of coffee while driving, you have just endanged yourself/and others in the same manner as you have accused me of. Not in the manner that the teens were driving in, but the manner you have lumped all drivers into. So IMHO, you have just called the kettle black sir.

1) Reliability

2) Value

3) Style

Old 06-11-2002, 10:28 PM

countdown...

I see no reason for this thread to be in our 5th gen searchable database... as such, it will be deleted pretty soon..
Old 06-11-2002, 10:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: countdown...

Move it to general. If you delete it, I will be accused of abusing my moderator powers
I see no reason for this thread to be in our 5th gen searchable database... as such, it will be deleted pretty soon..

Quick Reply: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!