General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 10:48 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

ok.. if you say so...

its all yours... complete with handy redirector..
Old 06-11-2002, 10:54 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Re: Re: Re: How about doing something about it?

Originally posted by Magellan
But we as forum members have no control over that. The point I was making is that we can, through our moderators and with Jambo's approval, decide to band any offensive and potentially destructive thread, including those that encourage street racing.
Which would delete any KILL we post on here. Go ahead and do that, and it's bye bye to the ORG members... You dont have to advocate it, but we are all "drag racing " at some point.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:07 PM

Dragging seem's to be an American tradtion that did not start yesterday.

Dragging will not stop anytime soon so in the mean time keep it safe and respect the law.

BTW racing at the track is not fun as you are limited to roughly 15 second's of fun.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:15 PM

Its human nature dude, nothing will stop it. People strive to be better than others, its what makes the world grow. Giving kids $100 cars will just make them try to race their friends $100 cars. Laws, well, obviously laws don't really matter do they? Death knows no limits of age, wealth, or anything like that. Its an endless battle.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:42 PM

I dont get it..

whats with that "you'll never stop it.." stuff? Nobody is asking for you to draft new legislation to the house committee on street racing... It should make YOU think and reconsider. You choose to make a difference. No matter how small/insignificant.

And that skill stuff doesnt cut it.. You arent in a controlled environment, there is NO way for you to control what happens. One small correction and physics takes over and the rest is fate.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:00 AM

Road rage, cellphone drivers, street racers....what do they all have in common. They're all people! We're not fighting street racing, we're fighting humans' complacency. The same goes with internet fraud, gun accidents, vandalism, the list goes on. People have to understand the real issue here. I am %100 for having tougher drivers license requirements, and I did read that article in Motor Trend about cereal box drivers license and it really hit home with me. The thing is, car companies continue to put out faster and faster vehicles. And the youths of this nation are not getting any wiser. We need more education and less instant gratification. Most priveldges in this country aren't earned, they're bought.

Jesse
Old 06-12-2002, 05:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just think how much higher your insurance rates will go for the younger drivers out there. This is why teenagers are high risk.

Chances are one of them tried a ricer flyby with not enough room to pass the Jeep and caused the accident.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:53 AM

Magellan, dmarion-

Both of you, knock it off. The self-martyrdom, the self-righteousness. Stop it. It's worse than reading a "New Pay Contract" thread on a pilot's forum.

If anything, you're both old enough to know better.

Magellan, every post I've read from you, I (at first) thought you were carping on anyone under the age of 40. Then I got the joke-you've got one heck of a wry sense of humor. But are you carping again now?

dmarion:

Again, chill out on those shrill knee-jerk cries about how the youth of america will be wiped out 'cause of street racing.

4) Performance (responsibly getting onto freeways with confidence).
I'm callin' BS on you there, bub. Buying a product that has marketed itself as a "Four-Door Sports Car" and saying "I got it so I can accelerate onto on-ramps easily."

Really? Well, in that case, I only buy condoms to make into balloon animals.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:54 AM

I live in S.C. This story can be verified through the state paper. A kid in his white mustang was racing and ran into the car in front of him. Turns out his mother was in the car. She though her kid was home studying. She died in the collision.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:59 AM

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
I live in S.C. This story can be verified through the state paper. A kid in his white mustang was racing and ran into the car in front of him. Turns out his mother was in the car. She though her kid was home studying. She died in the collision.
I remember that story and you would think some of these kids out there would learn.

I do race very far and few in between but I know when to say when.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by tfalcon

Good you avoided an accident and should commended for it, the difference here is two perfectly innocent people died and most likely never had a chance to do anything to save themselves because of two foolish spoiled rich kids whose parents are now going to hire expensive lawyers to keep there little angels out of jail.
Have a little compassion for the innocent in this case. Oh yeah the big difference of the two accidents you mentioneed at the top is one is very negligent and other with the old lady was an accident and accidents do happen. Your comparision stinks.
It's not that I have a lack of compasion for the people that lost thier lives because of street racing. It sucks, plain and simple. But how many times have other drivers killed and all you see, if you care to look, is a small paragraph in a local paper? Where's the TV story for those nameless victims? I hope that the spoiled rich kids go to jail for a long time and get their pipes cleaned daily while in jail.

What is negligence? Is it a racer with a heavy foot or a women on a cell phone, or a man aggresively driving in traffic or an elderly person who is not physically capable? To me each example above is just as negligent as the other.

I feel my comparision if valid because no street racer get's in his car with the intention of harming others or themselves. An elderly person doesn't drive down the road thinking how their poor vision could cause an accident. A person on a cell phone doesn't think it distracts them from their driving. A person cutting in and out of traffic thinks you are in the way, not that they are endangering your life. It's irrelevant whether stupidity, carelessness, or inability is the cause of death.

So tell me why is it that if another driver kills you because it's deemed an "accident" it's acceptable and if a street racer kills you it's negligence. There is no difference.

Please don't this post the wrong way. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited or combative. It's all good and
Old 06-12-2002, 07:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by speedtrip

So tell me why is it that if another driver kills you because it's deemed an "accident" it's acceptable and if a street racer kills you it's negligence. There is no difference.
Not true.. Killing someone while trying to answer your cellphone will get you manslaughter charges.. Equipment failure or too fast for conditions will not.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by TimW

Not true.. Killing someone while trying to answer your cellphone will get you manslaughter charges.. Equipment failure or too fast for conditions will not.
Yes, your right. I should have been more specific in mentioning there's no difference in the pain and suffering that is caused.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:09 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

8 pages. aw hell

Tragedy yes. It's an even greater tragedy that the two punk teens driving freakin muscle cars didn't get killed too.

I blame their parents. You should never give teenagers fast cars, they'll only get them into trouble. Just like the idiot that died with 4 people in his Integra Type-R a couple of months ago. Teenagers just don't have the responsibility and maturity to handle that much power and this is what happens.

When I was 17 I had an 84 Pontiac 6000.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by hollywood7301
Magellan, dmarion-

Both of you, knock it off. The self-martyrdom, the self-righteousness. Stop it. It's worse than reading a "New Pay Contract" thread on a pilot's forum.

Magellan, every post I've read from you, I (at first) thought you were carping on anyone under the age of 40. Then I got the joke-you've got one heck of a wry sense of humor. But are you carping again now?

dmarion:

Again, chill out on those shrill knee-jerk cries about how the youth of america will be wiped out 'cause of street racing.

I'm callin' BS on you there, bub. Buying a product that has marketed itself as a "Four-Door Sports Car" and saying "I got it so I can accelerate onto on-ramps easily."

Amen!
Old 06-12-2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by hollywood7301
Magellan, dmarion-

dmarion:

Please, don't put more into my suggestion than was intended. For the hundredth time: There will always be street racing. We cannot stop street racing. There are problems in this world more serious than street racing. My suggestion to delete kill stories will not stop street racing. There, 101 times.

All I'm suggesting is that if we decide to consider kill threads as offensive, then we've set a worthwhile standard. And maybe, albeit a long shot, some org member will not race one day because he'll have no bragging rights the next day on this forum. Isn't that worth a try?

It's a matter of degrees, just like other things that can't be eliminated but that can be reduced. Problems like, crime, teenage pregnancy, communicable diseases, etc. These problems, like street racing, will never go away, but through some effort can be reduced. It seems so logical to me; I can't understand why there's such strong feelings against it.

And to answer another post, anyone who would quit this site because we've eliminated kill stories is someone we don't really need.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:39 PM

I think the main problem with giving young kids $60k fast cars is that they didn't work for them themselves and don't appreciate the value of their cars and the responsibility that goes with it. I'm 18 and paid for my car myself and therefore refrain from doing stupid things because I don't want to blow all the work I did to get my car. I also don't speed because I don't want my insurance rates going up because I have to pay them not my parents like the kids in the article. I'll admit I have raced a few times on the streets but I stopped at 70 mph as soon as it was clear I won. The highest was maybe 90 in a 55 with no cars around. A quick stoplight drag race isn't all that dangerous if done responsibly. It's the people that race for miles at a time consistently going over 100 mph trying to show off to others that generally cause these types of accidents.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by Dan4614

4) "Drugs are illegal for a reason" -- YES! Because the government make more money that way. If drugs were decriminalized, dealers would go out of buisness and drug use would go down. Look at the Netherlands!!! The child drug you rate is incredibly lower than the united states. Kid are told that drugs are bad and that they shouldn't do them, so of course they are going to do them. I did/do. The Shafter Commission (government-funded study of pot) concluded in the 70's that the laws agains marijuana were far more damaging the marijuana itself could ever be. Yet marijuana is still illegal and kids still smoke more in the US than in holland. If we stop making such a fuss about this racing sh*t and give people a safer way to do it then it will benifit society. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!
You dopin' dumb****. You think this statement, particularly where you tell the world you are a doper, will validate anything you say?!

Far more people talk on cell phones while driving than street race while driving. It stands to reason then, that more accidents are caused and more people are killed by innatentive cell phone drivers than by street racers.

HOWEVER!!!

It is obvious that that a MUCH higher percentage of streetraces end in tragedy than cell phone conversations. It is like russian rullette with a 5 rounds in your six shooter. Talking on cell phones while driving is dangerous, but street racing is FAR more dangerous!
Old 06-12-2002, 01:32 PM

I saw on Dateline one time where someone killed someone by a car or something and the culprit had to write a check for $1 every day to an aggressive driver awareness fund or something like that so this person would have to think about what they did forever. Obviously, it wasn't the amount that was important but the act of doing it and having to think about it every day for the rest of your life that make the guy go crazy and off the deep end. I know these boys will only care about themselves for years but one day when/if they have kids it will hit them what they've done and I think their pain will be much greater than they have now. The 2 killed are in a much better place than these 2 punks lives are since they will have hell on earth. If it were my child that got killed I would have a hard time being in the court room without my hands around their throats and it would take every court officer and the jaws of life to pry my hands from them and possibly their parents depending on how they handled it all. Please drive safely, it could happen to you. Ok, I'm taking deep breathes now.

ps. for all you aggressive drivers, there was a story of a man with his wife and kids in the car who got into road rage with another man and they other man shot and killed his wife and kids while driving down the road and the guy could have avoided all this if he'd just not got into a road rage situation....it aint worth proving anything on the road.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by Magellan
...You may have a misconception of senior citizens. Most of us are still good drivers who like nice cars and know how to drive them. And when the day arrives that I can no longer cope, I’ll turn in my license for a bus pass.
Sorry... I had over 140 Maximas to herd last Sunday. I'm a bit behind

I'd take driving along side senior citizens over teenagers ANY DAY! Generally speaking, they're hell of a lot easier to predict compared to young drivers. As Deezo mentioned earlier, insurance companies didn't pin the 'high rates/high risk' onto drivers under 25 for no reason.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:42 PM

Two nights ago in Madison, WI three 18 year old kids killed themselves in an alleged drag race about three blocks from my house. They ran a red to "get a kill" and boy did they ever. They went UNDER a semi that was making a legal turn through the intersection and two of them were decapitated. The third lived long enough to watch the car continue into an ATM, where he was killed. All three of them were scheduled to graduate high school this weekend. No one else was injured.

Please, drive responsibly. I am not going to be a hypocrite, because I too am guilty of sometimes driving wrecklessly. I'm not going to try and be anyone's father either. I think the majority of us like that rush we get when we're flying down the road, but at least do it in a safe manner.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:58 PM

Yeah, I'm the same way. When I get frisky, I NEVER run a red light. That is the most insane of all stupidity. Drag racing wouldn't have such negative publicity if kids could be just a little rational.

DW

Originally posted by maxima4me
Two nights ago in Madison, WI three 18 year old kids killed themselves in an alleged drag race about three blocks from my house. They ran a red to "get a kill" and boy did they ever. They went UNDER a semi that was making a legal turn through the intersection and two of them were decapitated. The third lived long enough to watch the car continue into an ATM, where he was killed. All three of them were scheduled to graduate high school this weekend. No one else was injured.

Please, drive responsibly. I am not going to be a hypocrite, because I too am guilty of sometimes driving wrecklessly. I'm not going to try and be anyone's father either. I think the majority of us like that rush we get when we're flying down the road, but at least do it in a safe manner.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
You should never give teenagers fast cars, they'll only get them into trouble. Teenagers just don't have the responsibility and maturity to handle that much power and this is what happens.
That's a fairly big generalization. But it does hold true for a lot of teenagers.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:45 PM

This thread made interesting reading. One fact that comes out from this thread is that, at least some news like that sets everyone thinking and take notice, which is good.
There are a couple of points I would like to make too.
First, about drag racing being illegal and stuff. Well, y-pipes are illegal and yet most of the org members have them. And all of them have passed inspections!! And I am not playing Jesus coz I am gonna order one soon. And yeah, I have had that occasional race on the freeway and I agree it was stupid. The point I want to make is, it doesn't matter if its illegal, dangerous or whatever. Its how you perceive it. If you are going to think responsibly, then you won't do a thing which is incorrect. That means, if you act responsibly and realize that a street race may end in you getting killed, you killing someone and stuff, you will not race, even if it street racing was legalized. Smoking a cigarette is legal for anyone over 18, but we all know that its harmful to the smoker as well as the people around him (passive smokers). Its upto you to decide whether you want to smoke or not! It depends on how responsible you feel towards the society and how much you value human life.
Second point, about blaming the parents for giving kids $50-70k cars with mad hp and torque. Well, what about parents who give their kids Civics or for that matter even Maximas and they go and stick in a turbo, SC or swap motors and do crazy mods and lo! behold...u got a 300+ hp car. Don't blame the parents for giving them the car, but yeah, you can blame them for not teaching the kids to be responsible drivers and value human life. Blame them for not making them well-versed with safety of their own and others around.
Third point, about all those various examples people gave about make-up, cell fones, eating etc while driving. Well, there are many more I can throw up - changing radio stations, changing CDs or CD tracks, and oh yeah, the best of them all - CHANGING LANES WITHOUT INDICATORS. Common guys, how much effort does it take to just flick that little rod? Are you trying to make your bulbs run longer? Well, just realize that if the guy in the other lane hits you coz he didn't know you are moving in at 40mph, you both are gonna end up spending 10 times the cost of that bulb.

I feel, what we need is some type of prerequisite to get a license. Something like a compulsory course on safe driving habits, handling the car in panic and dangerous situations and conditions, even high-speed maneuvering, etc. If you don't pass that course, you don't get a license. You get 3 attempts at the test and if you don't succeed after 3 attempts, you take the course again. Just like at school.

So to end it, I am not going to get into the argument of what should be legal and illegal, etc. I believe that if anyone wants to bring about any change, it can only happen if people understand their responsibilities towards the society in general, whether it be street racing, talking on the cell while driving or just smoking while walking down a crowded street.

If you guys have read through my entire post, then I feel that you definitely are willing to do your part to make this world just that little bit safer and better place to live in!

Just reminds me of the Megadeth song - "Peace sells...but who's buying?"

Drive safely. Remember there is someone waiting for you at home

~Manoj~
Old 06-12-2002, 02:47 PM

too young

ags 17 and 19. enough said
Old 06-12-2002, 06:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by fst96se

You dopin' dumb****. You think this statement, particularly where you tell the world you are a doper, will validate anything you say?!

how much experience have you had with the effects of marijuana or any other psychotropic substances beyond alcohol?

yeah, that's what i thought

when i read your post, it automatically invalidated anything you've said or will ever say - thanks for the heads up, you close-minded, backward, evolutionary loser
Old 06-12-2002, 06:47 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

wow.. looks like this has come around again..
Old 06-12-2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Supermachoman

That's a fairly big generalization. But it does hold true for a lot of teenagers.
I see why you'd reply the way you did but you and a few others are the exception.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If You're Drag Racing and Not on a Track, You're an IDIOT!

Originally posted by Yossarian

when i read your post, it automatically invalidated anything you've said or will ever say - thanks for the heads up, you close-minded, backward, evolutionary loser
I believe this thread has been a worthwhile discussion on a perpetual hot topic. I would hate to see it deleted because it turned into a flame war. There are ways to criticize others in a more gentle way. Try these for example:

Glad to hear your parents are finally getting married.
I admire anyone who's IQ is the same number as their shoe size.
You've inspired me to believe in evolution.
Your ability to think is beyond comparison.
Now that you've learned to read, remember that Sherlock Holmes is not a housing development and Moby D1ck is not a venereal disease.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by bags533
wow.. looks like this has come around again..
yeah, it was getting boring but now the spice is back!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tell me a track in the Dallas area where I can go and race my Max, and I'll cut down on street racing drastically.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:17 AM

If your're going more than 1 mph in a street sweeper, you're an IDIOT!

Yet another glaring example of why speed kills:

Elderly Woman Killed By Street Sweeper Going 2 mph

By Emily Ramshaw, Globe Correspondent and Douglas Belkin, Globe Staff, 6/13/2002

A street sweeper moving about 2 miles per hour knocked down and killed an elderly pedestrian in Charlestown yesterday, dragging her into the machine in front of the Bunker Hill Monument.

A Boston Emergency Medical Services official at the scene of the 9:15 a.m. accident at High and Pleasant streets said the brushes had to be taken off the machine so rescuers could remove the victim.

more at The Boston Globe Online

and, to wit:

"...See, I think drugs have done good things. If you don't believe me, do me a favor. Go home, take all your CD's, all your tapes and all your albums...and burn 'em. Why?

...'Cause you know all the artists and musicians that have made all that music that has enriched your lives over the years? Real farkin' high on drugs." -Bill Hicks

Whatever, y'all.