General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Valvebody Problems, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 12:52 AM

Valvebody Problems, please help!!

Hey there guys, I just had Don's VB Mod installed in my car but it won't shift into 4th gear. An example is when I am going around 80 in 3rd gear, the car should shift into 4th if I ease up on the throttle, but instead it drops all the way back to idle position at around 600 rpm's. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:58 AM

well

maybe you could ask Don, if he'll answer that is.
l8tr -- SS
Old 06-15-2002, 05:06 AM

Re: Valvebody Problems, please help!!

Take it back to the shop were you had it installed.. Sounds like something is misaligned.

Originally posted by MaxedBandit
Hey there guys, I just had Don's VB Mod installed in my car but it won't shift into 4th gear. An example is when I am going around 80 in 3rd gear, the car should shift into 4th if I ease up on the throttle, but instead it drops all the way back to idle position at around 600 rpm's. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:41 AM

Believe it or not, I may know exactly what it is.

I installed the VB mod from Don myself a couple of months ago. When I finished, the tranny would not shift from 2nd to 3rd. Just stuck. I checked and re-checked 3 times. Re-installing it 3 times. Finally found the problem. It was a flat O-ring washer that goes between the VB itself and the upper (when going from under car up) tranny case.

Go back to the shop and tell them that they have to drop the VB again. When they do, look straight up into the tranny and there will be two big holes (this is where the two O-rings fit in a small groove on those holes). Inspect the O-rings very carefully. If there is even a crack on either one, replace it. I suspect one or both are either very worn, cracked, or broken. The key is going to be finding those O-rings on a SAT. Trust me, it happened to me on a sat. too. I ended up having to buy the entire rebuild kit just to get the two rings. Once replaced, the car shifts like it's supposed to w/o any problems. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
Believe it or not, I may know exactly what it is.

I installed the VB mod from Don myself a couple of months ago. When I finished, the tranny would not shift from 2nd to 3rd. Just stuck. I checked and re-checked 3 times. Re-installing it 3 times. Finally found the problem. It was a flat O-ring washer that goes between the VB itself and the upper (when going from under car up) tranny case.

Go back to the shop and tell them that they have to drop the VB again. When they do, look straight up into the tranny and there will be two big holes (this is where the two O-rings fit in a small groove on those holes). Inspect the O-rings very carefully. If there is even a crack on either one, replace it. I suspect one or both are either very worn, cracked, or broken. The key is going to be finding those O-rings on a SAT. Trust me, it happened to me on a sat. too. I ended up having to buy the entire rebuild kit just to get the two rings. Once replaced, the car shifts like it's supposed to w/o any problems. Good luck.
Thanks, going to go try this right now...will let you know if it works.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:24 PM

Thanks, going to go try this right now...will let you know if it works.
No prob. Hopefully it will help solve your problem.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

No prob. Hopefully it will help solve your problem.
As you said, the O-ring was broken and was replaced but the problem still persists...sort of. The car will shift into 4th now, however, it won't do it unless I'm going like 110 mph at the very top of third...anything under redline it won't shift...odd yes? I also recieved a CEL so I will be bringing it to the dealer on Monday. Thanks again for your input, it was extremely helpful.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:39 AM

As you said, the O-ring was broken and was replaced but the problem still persists...sort of. The car will shift into 4th now, however, it won't do it unless I'm going like 110 mph at the very top of third...anything under redline it won't shift...odd yes? I also recieved a CEL so I will be bringing it to the dealer on Monday. Thanks again for your input, it was extremely helpful.
Bringing it into the dealer may be a waste since these CEL codes are probably due to your VB upgrade. Which codes are you getting?

I too had a crushed O-ring problem and when the problem was fixed everything seemed fine but I still had the CE light on. The first time I diagnosed the codes, I had in upwards of 11 malfunctions. After I reset the ECU, only one of them persisted and still does.

The code is for the "inhibitor switch" which has to do with the shifter and it's postioning. I couldnt find too much info on this problem but people who have had to start their car up in neutral complained of the "inhibitor switch" code. My CE light is still on but my car starts fine everytime and I have expereinced no problems with performance. I guess I'll just deal with it until I get some more info on what infact an "inhibitor switch" really is.