General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I watched the movement of my engine mounts last night...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 01:30 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

What is strange is that the motor rotates back towards the firewall when you rev it up in neutral (clockwise spinning internals). I always though it pulled forward. When the engine in under load, I visualize the motor being pulled forward by the tranny and tires while the motor is trying to pull itself back towards the firewall. What in turn happens is the motor starts to lift up on it's mounts a bit.

There are four mounts on the motor/tranny. The forward and rear mounts are connected to the center cross member/engine cradle. Two other mounts sit to the left and right of the motor (looking from the front). The right mount is actually kind of a tranny mount. The front and rear mounts CANNOT be filled with any material. There are no gaps in the rubber bushing (they're fluid filled). The left and right mounts have gaps in the rubber bushings, but access is extremely limited. The fronts and rear mounts control most of the "rocking" motion of the engine. The left and right mounts control the lifting of the motor, but they do move forward and back a bit.

Idea

There is about a 1/4-3/8" gap on either side of the rubber bushings on the left and right mounts where they bolt on to the unibody. This gap is for the engine movement front and back. If you found a piece of pretty stiff rubber that was about 2 1/2" in diameter and about 1/4" or less thick, you slid this piece in. This mod might be able to limit some of the engine movement on a hard launch and shift. Modifying the front and rear mounts is impossible. You would have to get inserts.

Dave
Old 12-05-2000, 05:25 PM

It's been done, Chunger and Madmax both used fuel line I think. Forgot exactly which type they got, but they put it in the front mount and said it reduced the movement quite a bit.
Old 12-05-2000, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the cool info,

I will try to jamn some hose it between the mounts tomarrow,do you think silicone hose would work all right or would it be better to stick with the regular rubber hose?Thanks again
Old 12-05-2000, 10:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

How do you jam rubber hose in between the front mount? Are you guys talking about the engine mount in front of the motor, right next to the exhaust manifold? There is no space within the bushing itself nor anywhere else to put it. Are you guys talking about the mount on the left of the engine (looking head on)?

Dave
Old 12-06-2000, 08:44 AM
Keven97SE

Dave, look again. On the top of the front mount, there's a slot. It's hard to see at first, but that's where I shoved two squished-down 1" OD radiator hose sections inside. It has helped a little in my opinion to aid offline traction.

I'd really like to remove the mount and have that slot filled with some sort of self-hardening resin, but am a little worried that things will get unduely stiff. When I'm motivated enough, I'll suppose I'll look into some acceptable resins.

Originally posted by Dave B
...The front and rear mounts CANNOT be filled with any material. There are no gaps in the rubber bushing (they're fluid filled)...Modifying the front and rear mounts is impossible. You would have to get inserts.

Old 12-06-2000, 03:13 PM

Polyurethane

You can actually inject Polyurethane into the motor mounts. Home depot sells it in a chalk gun form.
Old 12-06-2000, 04:16 PM

Here is a link for homemade Urethane motor mounts....

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/se-r/mounts.html>Click Me</a>