General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got beat by a GS430...oh my frickin' head...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 07:02 AM

Got beat by a GS430...oh my frickin' head...

So my good friend gets some money, and like the good concerned citizen, he wants to help out the economy. He's just bought a big-screen TV, and he feels that he would benefit from having a nice surround sound setup.

Naturally, he enlists the help of myself and another friend of ours.

So we pile into my Maxima and go. Given that we were probably going to be hauling back some stereo equipment, and they respectively each have a '66 Mustang GT and a Saturn, my car was the best way to go for hauling the three of us and electronic-type stuff around.

Yes, I'll get to the race in a second.

Anyway. It's around nine p.m., and we're loading my trunk up with all of my buddy's new electronic equipment. Did you know that a 5th generation Maxima trunk will hold all of the components (in their respective packing boxes) to a Sony HT-5100D Home Theater system?

I didn't either, but it does. With NO room to spare. Snug.

Now that I've rambled on about that long enough, let's get on with the story.

So as I'm driving home, my "DTE" display stops reading numbers and starts flashing the "-----", meaning I should fill up now, ahorito.

I pull into the Exxon at Mockingbird and Greenville and tank up. Now I'm nice and heavy. I've got me (6' 1" and 210 lbs.), my buddy (6'0" 190 lbs or so) and my other buddy (5'10" and 165 lbs. or so) a full tank of gas (how much does fifteen gallons of gas weigh, anyway?) and 50 lbs. or so of Sony.

Pull onto southbound Greenville, going to turn left at Mockingbird. Guy in a Lexus GS pulls up next to me (Left two lanes can turn left).

We get the arrow, and I start the turn, and the GS whips around the turn-not reckless, but definitely in a manner that would suggest he wants to race.

The next light is a cross-street, Matilda. We line up and wait for the light to turn green. When it does, we both pull off normal-until we get to about 10 m.p.h..

I drop the hammer, and I can see that he has, too. I'm pulling on him a bit-nothing too drastic, half a car length, maybe. I'm coming up quick on 6800 rpm. I hit second, and keep going. His headlights are at my rear quarterpanel now, and as I shift into third, he starts pulling on me. By the time I'm halfway through third, he'd come up from a 3/4 car length to leading me (his) rear bumper to (my) front bumper-and was still going.

When we got to that point, I think we both kind of decided who had won there and we both shut down. We stopped at the next light and I rolled my window down and asked the guy (I had not gotten a look at the rear decklid) if it was a GS300 or 400.

He said, "It's a 430." And took off. He was alone, by the way.

Well, that explains it. The GS looked and sounded stock-like it needed mods to beat me, huh?

Your opinions: How would I have fared against him with a quarter-tank of gas, and without two friends and assorted stereo equipment?

My car is mod-less. A stock 2k2 six-speed. I have a feeling that I would pull on him a bit better from a roll, but past third gear, I still think he'd hand me my ***-no problemo. 'Course, he might have gotten off a bad rolling launch. I dunno.

What do you guys think?

I'm gonna go lay down. My head hurts from where that GS pimp-slapped me.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:14 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

cliff notes?
Old 06-27-2002, 07:44 AM
//M5'ver

i b!tch slapped a 2k2 6spd max and a 2k GS 400 .. i dunno.. you were both slow

Old 06-27-2002, 08:44 AM

The only chance you'll have against that car is from a dead stop...or slow roll. GS's are highway MONSTERS, their gearing is awesome for topend...and they just keep pulling.

I have a GS430 and can keep up with auto LS1s from a highway roll.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
The only chance you'll have against that car is from a dead stop...or slow roll. GS's are highway MONSTERS, their gearing is awesome for topend...and they just keep pulling.

I've seen a 2k2 6sp punish a GS400 with e-shift... Don't know where the vid is at, but i'll check for it and post if i can find it... BTW, the 400 is faster than the 430 because the 430 doesn't have that e-shift, even with the increase disp. (if i'm not mistaken)... Needless to say, if i had a choice of a 430 or a 6sp Max, well, i won't go there, but then again, apples to oranges...
Old 06-27-2002, 08:56 AM

Damn, my head aches also, i forgot to add, was there anybody else in his car? You would also need to know his variables, (ex. if he was carrying 250lbs of soil in the trunk and another 150lbs of bricks and a FULL tank of gas or something)... Needless to say, if you dropped those 2 peeps it would've been enough to beat him... Mad props for doing so well against a car that costs nearly 2X the price
Old 06-27-2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by RastaManMax
Damn, my head aches also, i forgot to add, was there anybody else in his car? You would also need to know his variables, (ex. if he was carrying 250lbs of soil in the trunk and another 150lbs of bricks and a FULL tank of gas or something)... Needless to say, if you dropped those 2 peeps it would've been enough to beat him... Mad props for doing so well against a car that costs nearly 2X the price
He said the guy was alone.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:21 AM
//M5'ver

guy didn't have power mode on..

i have videos of a 2k2 and a GS 400 and they were neck and neck

I've seen a 2k2 6sp punish a GS400 with e-shift... Don't know where the vid is at, but i'll check for it and post if i can find it... BTW, the 400 is faster than the 430 because the 430 doesn't have that e-shift, even with the increase disp. (if i'm not mistaken)... Needless to say, if i had a choice of a 430 or a 6sp Max, well, i won't go there, but then again, apples to oranges...

Old 06-27-2002, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you forget the video of Steve VS a GS400(Doug's cousin)? They raced on the highway and they where dead even the whole way. Stock VS Stock. 6spd max's are highway beast then too
Old 06-27-2002, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by emax95

Did you forget the video of Steve VS a GS400(Doug's cousin)? They raced on the highway and they where dead even the whole way. Stock VS Stock. 6spd max's are highway beast then too
If I remember the video correctly the GS put about 2 lengths on the max and was able to pull into steve's lane.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:52 AM

If I remember the video correctly the GS put about 2 lengths on the max and was able to pull into steve's lane.
I don't remember that part. Maybe Turbo97 will be kind enough to share the video with us again
Old 06-27-2002, 10:55 AM

LOL, a stock GS430 runs 13.9 or in that area. Very close but a little faster than 6-sp Max.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:05 AM
//M5'ver

Originally posted by emax95

I don't remember that part. Maybe Turbo97 will be kind enough to share the video with us again
nah i am waiting to see how much BS gets thrown around in this thread first..

Old 06-27-2002, 11:11 AM

\

the 400 is NOT faster than the 430...e-shift does NOT make the car faster....it does NOT make the tranny shift faster, and it does NOT let you hold gears longer than just flooring it.

Believe me...I've owned BOTH cars.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:13 AM
//M5'ver

I havn't purchased or registerd any of them..

but i have OWNED all 3 cars and i know which one is faster

\

the 400 is NOT faster than the 430...e-shift does NOT make the car faster....it does NOT make the tranny shift faster, and it does NOT let you hold gears longer than just flooring it.

Believe me...I've owned BOTH cars.

Old 06-27-2002, 11:37 AM

Ummm this one time......

.....after a baseball game I raced a new GS430 in my 2K2 6spd. We lined up at a light. When it turned green I let him go and counted to five before I went. I than punched it, but shifted at 4K rpms. By 40mph, I had 9 car lengths on him.......

Does that help qualify for BS and bring the mag racers in?
Old 06-27-2002, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Turbo97GXE
guy didn't have power mode on..

i have videos of a 2k2 and a GS 400 and they were neck and neck

Are they the videos of your cousin and Steve going at it on the highway? Because in those videos it "looked" like Steve got beat every time.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:13 PM
//M5'ver

what cousin?

i just have videos i downloaded off the internet ..

but.. no comment to your question

Originally posted by Supermachoman

Are they the videos of your cousin and Steve going at it on the highway? Because in those videos it "looked" like Steve got beat every time.

Old 06-27-2002, 12:21 PM

what cousin?

i just have videos i downloaded off the internet ..

but.. no comment to your question

So then you would have no objection if I uploaded them, would you?
Old 06-27-2002, 02:46 PM

I wanna see a new 7 run up against a GS430 up top. I think that the 745 will be showing its ugly tailights to a GS. A true highway monster is a SL55 or the 3 RUF's running in the Gumball Vid.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Supermachoman

They were videos of Sprintmax's cousin Mark. IRRC, Steve got beat by the GS400 both times by a few car lengths. Neck & neck? far from it. If you want neck & neck, watch Thomas (sx7r) vs Andy B. Though Andi's Supra was having problems, it was a very close race. Steve held his ground very well for a first time stick driver but even if he was as good as he is now, he would still get beat by a stock GS400 (stock vs stock). Mark ran 14.3 stock in his GS with a few hundred miles on it. However, with mods on a 2k2 6spd, it will fair better. Sprint also raced the GS from a roll in his 100 shot and got the GS by 3-4 cars. GS are highway monsters, period.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
cliff notes?
Old 06-27-2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

I wanna see a new 7 run up against a GS430 up top. I think that the 745 will be showing its ugly tailights to a GS. A true highway monster is a SL55 or the 3 RUF's running in the Gumball Vid.

What does this have to do with this thread???
Old 06-27-2002, 06:23 PM
//M5'ver

he will probably say its rice if the GS430 wins

What does this have to do with this thread???

Old 06-27-2002, 06:36 PM

Old 06-27-2002, 07:52 PM

I got nothing against the GS430, actually I like it a lot. I would like it a lot better if it came in a manual version though.

When did you get an M5???
Old 06-27-2002, 08:56 PM

Re: Got beat by a GS430...oh my frickin' head...

Originally posted by hollywood7301
So my good friend gets some money, and like the good concerned citizen, he wants to help out the economy. He's just bought a big-screen TV, and he feels that he would benefit from having a nice surround sound setup.

Naturally, he enlists the help of myself and another friend of ours.

So we pile into my Maxima and go. Given that we were probably going to be hauling back some stereo equipment, and they respectively each have a '66 Mustang GT and a Saturn, my car was the best way to go for hauling the three of us and electronic-type stuff around.

Yes, I'll get to the race in a second.

Anyway. It's around nine p.m., and we're loading my trunk up with all of my buddy's new electronic equipment. Did you know that a 5th generation Maxima trunk will hold all of the components (in their respective packing boxes) to a Sony HT-5100D Home Theater system?

I didn't either, but it does. With NO room to spare. Snug.

Now that I've rambled on about that long enough, let's get on with the story.

So as I'm driving home, my "DTE" display stops reading numbers and starts flashing the "-----", meaning I should fill up now, ahorito.

I pull into the Exxon at Mockingbird and Greenville and tank up. Now I'm nice and heavy. I've got me (6' 1" and 210 lbs.), my buddy (6'0" 190 lbs or so) and my other buddy (5'10" and 165 lbs. or so) a full tank of gas (how much does fifteen gallons of gas weigh, anyway?) and 50 lbs. or so of Sony.

Pull onto southbound Greenville, going to turn left at Mockingbird. Guy in a Lexus GS pulls up next to me (Left two lanes can turn left).

We get the arrow, and I start the turn, and the GS whips around the turn-not reckless, but definitely in a manner that would suggest he wants to race.

The next light is a cross-street, Matilda. We line up and wait for the light to turn green. When it does, we both pull off normal-until we get to about 10 m.p.h..

I drop the hammer, and I can see that he has, too. I'm pulling on him a bit-nothing too drastic, half a car length, maybe. I'm coming up quick on 6800 rpm. I hit second, and keep going. His headlights are at my rear quarterpanel now, and as I shift into third, he starts pulling on me. By the time I'm halfway through third, he'd come up from a 3/4 car length to leading me (his) rear bumper to (my) front bumper-and was still going.

When we got to that point, I think we both kind of decided who had won there and we both shut down. We stopped at the next light and I rolled my window down and asked the guy (I had not gotten a look at the rear decklid) if it was a GS300 or 400.

He said, "It's a 430." And took off. He was alone, by the way.

Well, that explains it. The GS looked and sounded stock-like it needed mods to beat me, huh?

Your opinions: How would I have fared against him with a quarter-tank of gas, and without two friends and assorted stereo equipment?

My car is mod-less. A stock 2k2 six-speed. I have a feeling that I would pull on him a bit better from a roll, but past third gear, I still think he'd hand me my ***-no problemo. 'Course, he might have gotten off a bad rolling launch. I dunno.

What do you guys think?

I'm gonna go lay down. My head hurts from where that GS pimp-slapped me.
I think you're way too concerned with weight. IMHO with just you and the rear seat ripped out the GS430 would still toast you every which way but loose. C'mon now it's a 5-spd silky smooth auto with 700 more lbs., 45 more hp, and costs 20 grand more. It's a better car plus it's RWD. RWD. If the Max were to be RWD worlds would collide. A non-independent rear susp with RWD, like a Ford from the 70's. it's a pretty expensive auto with a V8. The 745Li does 5.9 0-60's. The new 6-spd auto 745Li weighing about 1400 would toast you by about another .5 sec over the GS430. Don't you think these folks get anything for the $ they spent over the 21k that the Max costs?
Old 06-27-2002, 09:40 PM

i b!tch slapped a 2k2 6spd max and a 2k GS 400 .. i dunno.. you were both slow
I'm up for a b!tch slap attempt......up for an LS1?
Old 06-28-2002, 05:31 AM
//M5'ver

Originally posted by Maximam

I'm up for a b!tch slap attempt......up for an LS1?
you coming to Connecticut?

Old 06-28-2002, 07:51 AM

you coming to Connecticut?
Really what sort of power are you making? Have you ran the 1/4 yet? I don't frequent the general board much this is why I haven't seen you yet.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:11 PM

Uh I'm a little confused.
Turbo97GXE is this you Nigel or ANOTHER turbo Max?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:16 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

neither

Originally posted by Uncle Max
he's just another bitter 4th gen gxe
Old 06-28-2002, 12:44 PM
//M5'ver

i am a very secrative person.. just come and find out
Originally posted by Maximam

Really what sort of power are you making? Have you ran the 1/4 yet? I don't frequent the general board much this is why I haven't seen you yet.

Old 06-28-2002, 12:50 PM

i am a very secrative person.. just come and find out
Uh dude I hope you're talking to 97MaxGurl cuz I don't play on the opposite team. Are you Turbo Charged? Just wondering how many Turbo ConPadres I have?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:51 PM
//M5'ver

he wants to race

yes i am Turbo Charged.. but bill says i am not because i have no pictures

Uh dude I hope you're talking to 97MaxGurl cuz I don't play on the opposite team. Are you Turbo Charged? Just wondering how many Turbo ConPadres I have?

Old 06-28-2002, 12:54 PM

he wants to race

yes i am Turbo Charged.. but bill says i am not because i have no pictures

What's your system consist of. Just wondering. Did you get it from Nigel?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:54 PM

HEBSLOW
Old 06-28-2002, 12:57 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by gtr_rider
HEBSLOW
DUDE- your sig, phat car you have there... front end conversion, JDM headlights? Sweet ride!

sometimes Newbies get all the fun
Old 06-28-2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

DUDE- your sig, phat car you have there... front end conversion, JDM headlights? Sweet ride!

Ange
Old 06-28-2002, 01:02 PM

It's Spritemax.

Stereodude

Quick Reply: Got beat by a GS430...oh my frickin' head...