General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 11:12 PM

Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Due to Texas heat and my hard driving I decided to put in 15-50 due to my old mechanic's advice.

Anyways I drove it today after the oil change for about a mile and it seems there is like a tapping or knocking when the car is rolling. It's only when the engine is under load (not rolling in neutral at 30). It only does it at speeds like 15-30 (or at least that's where I can hear it).

I've always changed my oil and have never heard this. It almost feels drivetrain related. It might not have anything to do with the oil.

The engine seems to be revving smoothly, it's just this knock or clicking somewhere. Like a sound that your car would make if someone put a piece of paper between your wheel's spokes while rolling. I'll see if it's still there in the morning.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:33 AM

dude, the only advice i could give you is contact iwannabmw and get synthetic oil from him, Amsoil, it's the best stuff and the temperature ranges will surely cover the high temperatures you are seeing

Vinipux
Old 07-01-2002, 05:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Originally posted by BrianV
Due to Texas heat and my hard driving I decided to put in 15-50 due to my old mechanic's advice.

Anyways I drove it today after the oil change for about a mile and it seems there is like a tapping or knocking when the car is rolling. It's only when the engine is under load (not rolling in neutral at 30). It only does it at speeds like 15-30 (or at least that's where I can hear it).

I've always changed my oil and have never heard this. It almost feels drivetrain related. It might not have anything to do with the oil.

The engine seems to be revving smoothly, it's just this knock or clicking somewhere. Like a sound that your car would make if someone put a piece of paper between your wheel's spokes while rolling. I'll see if it's still there in the morning.
Dude, that's your oil pump working too hard. I had the same problem with my Toyota Pickup when I used thicker oil than I was supposed too. I went back to light weight oil and the noise went away.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:22 AM

Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Originally posted by deezo
Dude, that's your oil pump working too hard. I had the same problem with my Toyota Pickup when I used thicker oil than I was supposed too. I went back to light weight oil and the noise went away.
Will I be ok using this for the next 2500 miles and then swapping it out?
Old 07-01-2002, 05:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

I wouldn't leave it in there. I'd switch it back to the 5w30 or maybe 10w30. You don't want to mess up the pump. 15w50 is way too heavy for the VQ.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:35 AM
RussMaxManiac

Brian, use 5w30 or 10w30. That is recommended for Texas HEAT!. Do not use anything other than what is recommended for the car from the manufacture. I suggest drain it again asap and fill it back up with the right stuff. Your mechanic I would not trust.

Old 07-01-2002, 05:56 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

No, Unless you want to buy a new oil pump. That's probably the sound you are hearing is it working too hard. Personally I would never go over a 40 weight oil in the Max.....

Your old mechanic is used to 5 and 6 quart oil capacity V8s with cooling systems from 12 to 16 quarts. It's a different era.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:08 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Originally posted by bill99gxe

No, Unless you want to buy a new oil pump. That's probably the sound you are hearing is it working too hard. Personally I would never go over a 40 weight oil in the Max.....

Your old mechanic is used to 5 and 6 quart oil capacity V8s with cooling systems from 12 to 16 quarts. It's a different era.
Plus Brian is Supercharged too....hhehe that is even worse! That SC isn't getting oil well.

Old 07-01-2002, 06:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Plus Brian is Supercharged too....hhehe that is even worse! That SC isn't getting oil well.

Oooo.....forgot about the blower.

Brian,

Change your oil AND filter immediately.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Brian just use 5w-30 everyone in Texas uses it.

No problems yet.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:32 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I agree..

My Blackstone was done with 5w-30 in the summer with 114 temps. And really, its Syn.. its going to hang in there just fine. *maybe* I'd go 10W-30 if I was using dino just to make sure it keeps protecting my startup over the length of the drain interval.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:05 AM

Brian,

The 15W-50 is really too thick for a VQ. Using an oil that is too thick, while increasing oil pressure (which is why you're pump is working too hard), also leads to an increase in oil temperature and a reduction in the flow rate of the oil. Since the oil moves slower, it stays in higher temperature areas longer, leading to an increased overall oil temp. as well. Needless to say, all of this is not good and is actually counterproductive. While it may seem that using a 15W-50 would be a good idea for that "extra" protection, you are actually creating more problems than you are avoiding them.

I know most people don't want to believe it, but 5W-30 (if it's a synthetic) is just fine, even under high heat conditions. There are a few of us now that have lab results to prove it. A 10W-30 is also just fine for your application.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Brian,

The 15W-50 is really too thick for a VQ. Using an oil that is too thick, while increasing oil pressure (which is why you're pump is working too hard), also leads to an increase in oil temperature and a reduction in the flow rate of the oil. Since the oil moves slower, it stays in higher temperature areas longer, leading to an increased overall oil temp. as well. Needless to say, all of this is not good and is actually counterproductive. While it may seem that using a 15W-50 would be a good idea for that "extra" protection, you are actually creating more problems than you are avoiding them.

I know most people don't want to believe it, but 5W-30 (if it's a synthetic) is just fine, even under high heat conditions. There are a few of us now that have lab results to prove it. A 10W-30 is also just fine for your application.
Even to add to this, heavy oil causes more resistance within the engine.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:25 AM
//M5'ver

i saw this thread at 6 in the morning.. and i was banging my head against the wall.. i was wondering if anyone was actually going to answer... this is a no brainer.. doh!!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Brian,

The 15W-50 is really too thick for a VQ.

Brian,
I agree. 15w-50 is probably too thick for our close tolerance engines. Living in Louisiana (near Shreveport), I just changed to Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w-30 (don't want to start a brand war here, just viscosity info). It may be psychological, but my car seems more free-revving than when I ran 10w-30 synthetics. I'll be getting an oil analysis after 3000 miles on it for info on my engine. Mobil 1 is only $17.88 for the 5 qt jug at my local Wal-Mart. OT, what do people think of WIX oil filters? My dealership suggested them if a Nissan filter was not available. He also said to definitely stay away from Fram because of the anti-drainback valve not holding the oil in the top of the engine. Any thoughts?

Dave
Old 07-01-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Turbo97GXE
i saw this thread at 6 in the morning.. and i was banging my head against the wall.. i was wondering if anyone was actually going to answer... this is a no brainer.. doh!!!!!!!!
When it happened to me, I thought it was one of my cylinders tapping the head.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:53 AM

Bill, do you have any idea about the K&N, part # HP-1010 ? It cost about $13 from Kragen and most retailers. Is it any better compared to those filters that you've mentioned ?
Old 07-01-2002, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by bsetiawan
Bill, do you have any idea about the K&N, part # HP-1010 ? It cost about $13 from Kragen and most retailers. Is it any better compared to those filters that you've mentioned ?
I'm unaware of K&N being anything special. For that price, I would go with a Mobil 1.

There is only one test I'm aware of that involved K&N filters, and that was from Amsoil. It was a "middle of the pack" filter.....not worth $13 in my opinion.

I do think STP makes a good filter as well, but don't have the number available.

STPs and Boschs and Mobil 1 filters are all the exact same design, with the Mobil 1 having a different (better) synthetic filtering media.

The best oil filter report going is here:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml
Old 07-01-2002, 09:08 AM
//M5'ver

i did plugs / fuel fitler and oil last friday.. tried belts on saturday and ended up with same belts and lots of cuts and bruises

Old 07-01-2002, 09:22 AM

i did plugs / fuel fitler and oil last friday.. tried belts on saturday and ended up with same belts and lots of cuts and bruises
The belt job is terrible if your arms and hands are not small enough.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:26 AM

Dave,

You are required to e-mail me the results after your analysis so that you can participate.
[/B]
Will do. You'll have to wait 2397.2 miles, though.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:09 AM

Mobil 1 and Amsoil filters are the best your going to get in a regular filter. Both filter about the same, the only difference being the Amsoil has more surface space and dirt.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

Will do. You'll have to wait 2397.2 miles, though.

No problem. Be courageous and go 5k.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Question....are all these fancy filters really better than the Nissan OEM filter? In my opinion, the Nissan filter is great, and a bargain at $4-5 from the dealer.

I'm unaware of K&N being anything special. For that price, I would go with a Mobil 1.

There is only one test I'm aware of that involved K&N filters, and that was from Amsoil. It was a "middle of the pack" filter.....not worth $13 in my opinion.

I do think STP makes a good filter as well, but don't have the number available.

STPs and Boschs and Mobil 1 filters are all the exact same design, with the Mobil 1 having a different (better) synthetic filtering media.

The best oil filter report going is here:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml
Old 07-01-2002, 11:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Originally posted by Eric L.
Question....are all these fancy filters really better than the Nissan OEM filter? In my opinion, the Nissan filter is great, and a bargain at $4-5 from the dealer.
The Bosch and STP filters that are of the larger size would be better than the OEM Nissan filter IMHO as well (the paper media being the only difference between those and the Mobil 1), and they cost the same.....in fact I think the STP is in the $3.xx range....
Old 07-01-2002, 11:52 AM

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...oil_filter.htm
This site actually disects a Nissan oil filter and compares it to another brand name filter.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:52 AM
//M5'ver

Originally posted by deezo
The belt job is terrible if your arms and hands are not small enough.
i got in there fine.. it was that same prob you had.. the corroison problem.. eff'ing tension nut won't move

Old 07-01-2002, 11:54 AM

i got in there fine.. it was that same prob you had.. the corroison problem.. eff'ing tension nut won't move

You need some Aero-Kroil penetrating oil. Screw the Liquid Wrench stuff.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Originally posted by Mustang1999

Oh, just buy a Fram and get it over with....

Yet ANOTHER useless statement from you.

Old 07-01-2002, 11:58 AM
//M5'ver

then point me ow wise one

You need some Aero-Kroil penetrating oil. Screw the Liquid Wrench stuff.

Old 07-01-2002, 11:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Yet ANOTHER useless statement from you.
Bill, don't be so jealous...
Old 07-01-2002, 12:06 PM
//M5'ver

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Bill, don't be so jealous...

why are yo uon a maxima site if you have a mustang?

Old 07-01-2002, 12:11 PM

then point me ow wise one

Highly recommend by Matt93SE, and he said it's used in aviation based products. When he installed my Warpspeed Y and cat on the 94 a couple of weeks ago, he swore by the stuff. I was impressed as the 8 year old rusted out bolts didn't put up much of a fight.

Here's what I can tell you about it:

Product: Aero-Kroil
Made by: Kano Laboratories
Phone Number: (615) 833-4101
Do they take orders? Don't know; haven't bothered calling yet.

That place looks to be about 20 minutes away from me.

Daniel B. has mentioned "Kroil" here a couple of times, but didn't ever allude to where he got it or could get it. From what Matt told me, he got his through his dad's business contacts.

The 3rd gen (real forum) guys have this link where some have ordered it:

http://www.mcfarlane-aviation.com/aeroKroil.htm

It's a bit expensive....I wanna say $10 or $12 a can. If you take the initiative and call the manufacturer here in TN and they sell it direct, let me know. If it's prohibitive for them to ship it, I'll run by there and pick up a couple of cans and send one to ya....
Old 07-01-2002, 12:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Especially when SHE really has an RSX-S
Old 07-01-2002, 12:15 PM
//M5'ver

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

If it's prohibitive for them to ship it, I'll run by there and pick up a couple of cans and send one to ya....

cool.. i will call on my day off.. this wensday

Especially when SHE really has an RSX-S :confused=:
thats a girl?

Old 07-01-2002, 12:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Hey gomer, I don't have a Mustang.. Would you like to throw down???
Old 07-01-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

cool.. i will call on my day off.. this wensday

thats a girl?

Yep.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

thats a girl?
Yup, and according to our CL-S friend, I'm useless....

//M5'ver

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

since i didn't know you were a female.. i appologize.. being the ladies man i am.. i am always nice to the ladies

Hey gomer, I don't have a Mustang.. Would you like to throw down??? :-D

Old 07-01-2002, 12:40 PM

Ok well is it really really really necessary to change it immediately. That's $25 of brand new oil. Can it wait until this weekend?

Also, this morning I drove it on the interstate and it seemed smooth and wasn't making the sounds.

Quick Reply: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems