General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Vortech V1 SuperChargers and rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Vortech V1 SuperChargers and rebuild

Has anyone actually had their V1 SuperCharger rebuilt by Vortech.

I did a search, but only found people tlaking about doing it, and noone seems to have done it.

Anyway, if someone has done it, could you answer the following:

1) How much did it cost

2) How long did it take

3) Is the SC quieter now?

4) Did speed/hp increase?

Thanks!
IanS
Old 07-03-2002, 02:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

Delio is your man to contact. Good luck. So it's at that point huh?
Old 07-03-2002, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Delio is your man to contact. Good luck. So it's at that point huh?
It's one of 2 things:

1) The Dyno I was on seems to Dyno somewhat low, and at the same time, my boost guage is broken. When I get my new boost guage in the mail this week I'll know for sure.

2) My SC needs a rebuild.

There's nothing else to look at. I've reseated the MEVI, checked every vacuum hose and gasket in the entire system, checked fuel lines and fuel pressure, ripped the exhaust system from the Y-Pipe back apart, checked for KS code, resealed MAF Gasket and TB Gaskets, put gasket sealer around the ambient temp sensor, checked the belt a million times and put dressing on it, checked the oil flow in and out of the SC, etc, etc,.....no dice.

IanS
Old 07-03-2002, 02:08 PM

sup man
i have tried emailing vortech a couple times to no luck.

Call them up.

Also,
they have a V1 to V2 trade up policy for like $700.

Hows the MEVIs coming?
Old 07-03-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Prodeje79
sup man
i have tried emailing vortech a couple times to no luck.

Call them up.

Also,
they have a V1 to V2 trade up policy for like $700.

Hows the MEVIs coming?
No current update on the MEVI. I talk to my supplier daily over messenger. He will let me know when they get in.

Needless to say, I probably won't do another GD because this just takes too long.

I wish I had $700...my $5000 Credit Card is "Maxxed" out. The only thing on it that didn't go to my car was my XBox and my new couch.

But then again, if the rebuild cost that much, I may just do it.

IanS
Old 07-03-2002, 02:25 PM

ya call em up and verify what they can do. Either way, $700 for a BRAND new v2 sounds good to me =)

good luck on VIs! I will be patiently waiting! =D
Old 07-03-2002, 03:53 PM

PM JAY25, he sent the V2 SC back to Vortech I sold to him for a rebuild. One of the fan blades was bent, and Vortech told him that it needed new bearings or something like that. I had no idea except for the bent fan blade that the SC itself had problems. I think it costed him $500, I'm not sure of this.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:10 PM

iansw, why do you assume it needs work?

267 FWHP isn't bad at all (if that dyno reports low). I would expect that from a 6 pound kit with MEVI.

I assume you have y-pipe and exhaust as well?
Old 07-03-2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by BrianV
iansw, why do you assume it needs work?

267 FWHP isn't bad at all (if that dyno reports low). I would expect that from a 6 pound kit with MEVI.

I assume you have y-pipe and exhaust as well?
That is bad because according to Loren, I should have 9PSI, and should be getting 260-280 WITHOUT the MEVI.

As it stands, I've got a 3.25" Pulley, and am only getting 6PSI and 231hp without the MEVI.

I have a WSP Y-Pipe, but stock exhaust.

IanS
Old 07-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by iansw
That is bad because according to Loren, I should have 9PSI, and should be getting 260-280 WITHOUT the MEVI.
Just curious (haven't been following closely) but did you figure out why you were getting 150+HP instead of 170+HP prior to the SC? You think whatever the problem is may be the difference?

In any case, hopefully with the new boost guage you will get accurate numbers that are in line...
Old 07-03-2002, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Just curious (haven't been following closely) but did you figure out why you were getting 150+HP instead of 170+HP prior to the SC? You think whatever the problem is may be the difference?

In any case, hopefully with the new boost guage you will get accurate numbers that are in line...
Actually, at another Dyno shop, I got 165hp peak. Which is about normal for a NA Auto Max with only a Y-pipe and a Pop-Charger.

the reason I went to this Dyno shop is because they have all my old data files saved, and could compare "before and after" Dynos.

But I also found that when the shop that gave me 169hp did it, they calculated the numbers different, and used a much older (DOS based!) version of the software.

i never did figure out if the low Dyno numbers were because of my car or because of that Dyno.

But my car has been looked at time and time again, by 5 seperate mechanics and 2 seperate speed shops, and noone, even the dealer, can find anything wrong with it.

So logically, it's either the SC or the Dyno.

There is also the 1% chance that somehow it's the MEVI. I'm going to be putting my stock plenums back on and checking what happens, just for scientific reasons more than anything.

IanS
Old 07-03-2002, 10:22 PM

Your max is auto, dude you're smoking, that's just right.

Cheston's Maxima with 3.125, CAI, Y, RT Cat, Exhaust put out 270 to the wheels on the smaller 3.125.

Yours on a 3.25 with MEVI puts out just about the same, and it's an auto.

Also, Mardis Gras runs MEVI + 3.125 and puts out 300WHP. he is stick. Auto is 15-20% drivetrain loss. He has more boost and only makes 300. So with the same pulley you'd be 40-50 HP less then him, putting you at 250ish. Thus, I think your numbers are fine. Also, get an exhaust it'll help you out a little since you don't have one.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:30 PM

Your max is auto, dude you're smoking, that's just right.

Cheston's Maxima with 3.125, CAI, Y, RT Cat, Exhaust put out 270 to the wheels on the smaller 3.125.

Yours on a 3.25 with MEVI puts out just about the same, and it's an auto.

Also, Mardis Gras runs MEVI + 3.125 and puts out 300WHP. he is stick. Auto is 15-20% drivetrain loss. He has more boost and only makes 300. So with the same pulley you'd be 40-50 HP less then him, putting you at 250ish. Thus, I think your numbers are fine. Also, get an exhaust it'll help you out a little since you don't have one.
Let me explain:

Loren got 290fwhp with 9PSI with the exact same SC and pulley I have now.

Right now I'm 231 without the MEVI, and 267 with.

There is NO way that the fact I have an Auto makes my car 60hp less, or 26% less than a stick, and 3PSI less without the MEVI. (so it would be equal, minus exhaust, to Loren's car)

If that were true, a stock Maxima manual tranny would Dyno at about 165, and an Auto would be about 122hp. (-26%)

Besdies, tranny has nothing to do with boost.

With the Auto I should be at about 260-265 WITHOUT the MEVI, and 290 with. (MEVI adds +36hp, as my Dyno shows)

So even with those numbers, I'm being conservative.

IanS
Old 07-03-2002, 10:43 PM

Let me explain:

Loren got 290fwhp with 9PSI with the exact same SC and pulley I have now.

There is NO way that the fact I have an Auto makes my car 60hp less, or 26% less than a stick, and 3PSI less without the MEVI. (so it would be equal, minus exhaust, to Loren's car)

If that were true, a stock Maxima manual tranny would Dyno at about 165, and an Auto would be about 122hp. (-26%)

Besdies, tranny has nothing to do with boost.

With the Auto I should be at about 260-265 WITHOUT the MEVI, and 290 with. (MEVI adds +36hp, as my Dyno shows)

So even with those numbers, I'm being conservative.

IanS
I disagree, I think if you had a stick without MEVI you'd be making 260-265 because every car 4th gen stick I've seen with 3.125 or 3.25 has been 265-270 and they have full exhaust and cat too. This is all on dynojet. Call it what you will, but even with a 15% loss in transmission (which is all linear to power, not a baseline 15% loss from stock), I think your numbers are within reason. My car with intake, y rt, and exhaust put down 180 the the wheels, my car with that setup at 6LB pulley put down 250 (70 to the wheel gain). If I put MEVI on my car now I would probably make about 270 peak, and with 3.125 I'd be making about 300 (just like MardiGras). If I was auto I'd be expecting to make considerably less. Also I'm talking 3.125 not 3.25.

I mean I don't know how that guy got 290, but I have seen multiple cars with 3.125 both with and without MEVI and the numbers tend to be 270ish without, 300 with for a 5 spd. So your 267 auto MEVI with 3.25 is actually a lot better then I would think. Also, don't be too concerned necessarily with peak, the MEVI only adds real power in the last 500-1000 RPM. Compare your curves with the curves of mardigras and cheston and see if you're also getting similar power in the midrange.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:45 PM

I disagree, I think if you had a stick without MEVI you'd be making 260-265 because every car 4th gen stick I've seen with 3.125 or 3.25 has been 265-270 and they have full exhaust and cat too. This is all on dynojet. Call it what you will, but even with a 15% loss in transmission (which is all linear to power, not a baseline 15% loss from stock), I think your numbers are within reason. My car with intake, y rt, and exhaust put down 180 the the wheels, my car with that setup at 6LB pulley put down 250 (70 to the wheel gain). If I put MEVI on my car now I would probably make about 270 peak, and with 3.125 I'd be making about 300 (just like MardiGras). If I was auto I'd be expecting to make considerably less. Also I'm talking 3.125 not 3.25.

I mean I don't know how that guy got 290, but I have seen multiple cars with 3.125 both with and without MEVI and the numbers tend to be 270ish without, 300 with for a 5 spd. So your 267 auto MEVI with 3.25 is actually a lot better then I would think. Also, don't be too concerned necessarily with peak, the MEVI only adds real power in the last 500-1000 RPM. Compare your curves with the curves of mardigras and cheston and see if you're also getting similar power in the midrange.
But why am I only getting 6PSI on a 3.25" Pulley?
Old 07-03-2002, 10:47 PM
Ford Only.

I agree with Brian a auto putting down that much is awesome. I dont think anything is wrong with your S/C and you shouldnt need a rebuilt unless it has went out.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:53 PM

You said your guage was broken or something. Who knows what it is really putting down. But I PROMISE you this. If you're making 270 at 6POUNDS with an auto then I wouldn't worry about your boost guage, I'd be concerned about the dyno you are using.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
I agree with Brian a auto putting down that much is awesome. I dont think anything is wrong with your S/C and you shouldnt need a rebuilt unless it has went out.
There's still the boost. 6 PSI at redline locked in 1st gear and also tried in 2nd gear on the Dyno.

I've never heard of a 3.25" Pulley only putting out 6PSI.

Let me get my new guage in jsut to eliminate that possibility, then maybe I'll give up. 231 to the wheel just seems to suck. Look at jane97SE. She's 254 with a 3.125" Pulley

So .125" makes that much of a difference? 23hp and 3 PSI?

IanS
Old 07-03-2002, 10:55 PM

You said your guage was broken or something. Who knows what it is really putting down. But I PROMISE you this. If you're making 270 at 6POUNDS with an auto then I wouldn't worry about your boost guage, I'd be concerned about the dyno you are using.
I'm only making 231 compared to most other cars, except for MardiGrasMax, for the last time.

Let's, for control group purposes, keep the MEVI out of it.

231hp.

IanS
Old 07-03-2002, 11:24 PM

I know you have Loren's SC, but do you also have the CAI for it? I believe Loren got a good gain from a velocity stack/CAI on the passenger side.
-hype
Old 07-03-2002, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
I know you have Loren's SC, but do you also have the CAI for it? I believe Loren got a good gain from a velocity stack/CAI on the passenger side.
-hype
Yes. I have Loren's CAI as well, installed.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:55 AM

231 for 3.25 without MEVI sounds perhaps a little low, but then again, you don't have an exhaust. I haven't studied stock exhaust system that well, but with a boosted car that has to be a pretty decent restriction.

3.25 vs 3.125 should be worth about 10 peak HP.

Thus, Jane's 254 - your 231 = 23

23 is the delta

23 - 10 = 13

Your HP difference between Jane and your car is roughly 13.

Now factor in you're missing an exhaust system which has to be worth at least 5-10 on a boosted Maxima, and then you're within 3-8 HP, which is a subjective amount. Time of day, humidity, dyno, engine condition, etc. Not to mention, Jane lives in Northern cali, which never has a lot of humidity and during the winter it's DAMN cold. (sea level too).
Old 07-04-2002, 10:18 AM

Seattle has very little humidity as well. While it does rain often (on my Dyno Day it was super sunny), the humidity never sticks around.

Second, I think the only way I'm going to really know is when I get my new boost guage. If I'm truly only getting 6PSI off of a 3.25" Pulley, then there is definately something wrong.

IanS
Old 07-04-2002, 12:02 PM

6psi for a 3.25 pulley? Time to bump yourself down to a 2.62
Old 07-04-2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by ereet
6psi for a 3.25 pulley? Time to bump yourself down to a 2.62
According to Loren, this is bad because little "Sonic Booms" can be created in the SC, thereby blowing it's seals.

And if there's something wrong with my SC, and it's only giving me 6lbs of boost, then I expect whatever is wrong will be amplified much more with a 2.62....not good.

Guess we just need to wait for the boost guage. Although I KNOW I should be getting at least 250hp without the MEVI. An exhaust only adds 7hp at the most. Loren expects I should be at 270. 10% less than his car, because he's a stick.

I'm thinking about getting the SC rebuilt anyway, jsut to help with the noise. So either way, I'll be getting the Sc rebuilt. It's just a question of when.

IanS
Old 07-04-2002, 12:40 PM

Why would you want to quiet the supercharger down? I guess I just don't understand.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA
Why would you want to quiet the supercharger down? I guess I just don't understand.
Because it is insanely loud. Especially at idle. I'm getting sick of people saying "dude, your car is f'ed up!!"

And I got pulled over by a cop and he tried to give me a "Vehicle in need of repair" warning ticket.

I'm sick of dealing with how loud it is.

www.cyberhub.net/shared

Check it out for yourself.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:04 PM

i didnt read the whole thread so this might have been discussed. but i do know exhaust is very important with allowing boosted cars to breathe. you have a stock cat and exhaust, correct? u need at least 2.5 inche exhaust and a higer flowing cat for your car. by having a y pipe and a stock exhaust, you are truly going to lessen the life of the cat. have u checked to see if ur cat was clogged? since before the cat is free flowing and after isnt, your gonna have a nice buildup before it but its basically putting "boost" on ur cat since more exhaust is coming in then leaving, and will truly make the car suffer on the high end, am i right?
Old 07-04-2002, 01:30 PM

Because it is insanely loud. Especially at idle. I'm getting sick of people saying "dude, your car is f'ed up!!"

And I got pulled over by a cop and he tried to give me a "Vehicle in need of repair" warning ticket.

I'm sick of dealing with how loud it is.

www.cyberhub.net/shared

Check it out for yourself.
I was there at the meet. How soon we all forget. :-). Gotta give shist when I can :-).
Old 07-04-2002, 05:17 PM

According to Loren, this is bad because little "Sonic Booms" can be created in the SC, thereby blowing it's seals.

And if there's something wrong with my SC, and it's only giving me 6lbs of boost, then I expect whatever is wrong will be amplified much more with a 2.62....not good.

Guess we just need to wait for the boost guage. Although I KNOW I should be getting at least 250hp without the MEVI. An exhaust only adds 7hp at the most. Loren expects I should be at 270. 10% less than his car, because he's a stick.

I'm thinking about getting the SC rebuilt anyway, jsut to help with the noise. So either way, I'll be getting the Sc rebuilt. It's just a question of when.

IanS
Pass over the weed man, I put down 250 in decent condition (80F no humid) and I'm stick with RT and exhaust. Your not having an exhaust is a major hamper. Although I am only on 6.5LB pulley when I ran, the combo of 5spd + clutch + cat + catback more then makes up for your extra 2-3 lbs of boost, hell the tranny alone does.

Sorry man, but to be honest, try a different dyno place because if you are expecting to get 290-300 to the wheels on that setup you're begging, and if you do get it, you need to contact Nissan and tell them that your engine is some super freak (which with a 30+ HP gain I would be concerned that it's possibly running too lean), and you also need to address the accuracy of that dyno.

Finally, mechanical boost guages (vaccuum gauges as they should be called) could be defective, you could have a leak in your vaccuum system somewhere (whcih doesn't affect your boost, but it would affect your FMU which might be why you'd be running lean).

I'm telling you the facts and physics, and you're sitting there telling me your car SHOULD be making an extra 30 HP. You come down and dyno it at Stillen (where myself and a whole slew of other SC Maximas have got their rides dyno'd at), and I think you'll be ****ed that you probably put down less power there.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:25 PM

Sorry this is my last post on this thread, it's more frustrating then I can even stand. Here is my last comment.

Logic (noun) - The study of the principles of reasoning, especially of the structure of propositions as distinguished from their content and of method and validity in deductive reasoning.

Deductive Reasoning:

MardisGrasMax has (had when he dyno'd) the following:
Stick, MEVI, 3.125, Clutch, Exhaust, YPipe, Cat, CAI Arm (plus little extras)
Dyno'd in the winter (cold) at just a tad over 300 WHP.

iansw has (had when he dyno'd) the following:
Auto, MEVI, 3.25, CAI Arm, YPipe (note the absense of exhaust and cat)
Believes he should be dynoing at around 290 WHP.

HMM, I bet if MardisGras put at 3.25 in his car it would dyno 290. Thus, you're saying that the lack of exhaust and cat, with the addition of an automatic tranny takes absolutely no toll on your peak HP?

On a FWD car the typical figure is 15-17% drivetrain power loss via a manual transmission. The FWD loss for an auto is figured to be closer to 23-25%. I won't do the math for you!

I'm disgusted that no one else has hopped on this post and seen this deductive reasoning. It's freaking DEDUCTIVE people, it's not inductive or anything, the facts are down in front of your face.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:28 PM

Well I have to agree with brian on this one.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:32 PM

Oh and one other thing..At some point you need to admit that your AUTO...in otherwords..even if you do 1-2-d on it will still make less hp than a MANUAL...clutch in gas out shift gear car.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:42 PM

Sorry this is my last post on this thread, it's more frustrating then I can even stand. Here is my last comment.

Logic (noun) - The study of the principles of reasoning, especially of the structure of propositions as distinguished from their content and of method and validity in deductive reasoning.

Deductive Reasoning:

HMM, I bet if MardisGras put at 3.25 in his car it would dyno 290. Thus, you're saying that the lack of exhaust and cat, with the addition of an automatic tranny takes absolutely no toll on your peak HP?

On a FWD car the typical figure is 15-17% drivetrain power loss via a manual transmission. The FWD loss for an auto is figured to be closer to 23-25%. I won't do the math for you!

I'm disgusted that no one else has hopped on this post and seen this deductive reasoning. It's freaking DEDUCTIVE people, it's not inductive or anything, the facts are down in front of your face.
*butting in* This makes total sense. Iansw you're saying that you can make almost the same power as Mardisgras, with an automatic tranny, less boost, less mods? Sorry but I dont know how that can work, plus the fact that the tranny makes a hell of a difference in the power rating..

my .02cents
Old 07-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by infinitiblast
Well I have to agree with brian on this one.

seems like ian is comparing his car a little too much to lorens 5spd. compare it to other auto maxes w/ similar set-ups. and while im here, with the VI in the off position dyno numbers dont matter. VIs have a different design than standard runners.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:55 PM

Stick, MEVI, 3.125, Clutch, Exhaust, YPipe, Cat, CAI Arm (plus little extras) Dyno'd in the winter (cold) at just a tad over 300 WHP.
SAE 319hp@6300rpms thank ya very much
Old 07-04-2002, 06:58 PM

Deductive Reasoning:

seems like no one payed attention to what i wrote on page 2 about the cat and catback
Old 07-04-2002, 06:59 PM

I must have been misreading something. I think 267hp is low for what he's running but it's too high to put my previous argument in. Carry on.

And iansw, your car is messed up! You should take the cops advice and go get it repaired
Old 07-04-2002, 09:44 PM

267 for a 3.25 auto without exhaust and cat is freaking crazy good!
Old 07-04-2002, 10:24 PM

i dont think people realize how important such things as cats and exhaust are when boost is present. and the y pipe is just putting more congestion on it

Quick Reply: Vortech V1 SuperChargers and rebuild