General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Killing the Bees! Header Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 11:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Killing the Bees! Header Wrap

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has used Header Wrap to Kill the Bees sound. I ran a search and found that people mostly talk about what could or could not happen but nobody has really reported from first hand experience. This is actually for Stillen Headers on an Altima, but came here for help since Maximas have the same problem.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:15 AM
I'm needing a caw

I do and it did. Wrap it at least twice though
Old 07-10-2002, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just wondering if your pipes desecrated after doing this? About how long does it last?
Old 07-10-2002, 11:25 AM
I'm needing a caw

Nope. I haven't really looked down there since I did it(about 3 months ago). My pipes stay very dry(despite living in the nw) becuase I always drive more than 1/2 to and from work.

Originally posted by SolidFish
Just wondering if your pipes desecrated after doing this? About how long does it last?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:02 PM
i SeE what you did therE

i plan "wrapping my pipes" in a couple weeks
Old 07-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
i plan "wrapping my pipes" in a couple weeks
What exactly does wrapping the pipes do..? I just started getting the beez in da can thing....I think?
Old 07-10-2002, 04:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally, wrapping headers is for performance upgrade. As wierd as it might sound, exhaust performs better under higher temperatures and therefore when you wrap the headers, it keeps all the heat in and maximizes the flow. I heard a lot of NASCAR people used to do this, except for the fact that doing this completely desecrates your pipes. Pipes werent built for that high temp and therefore they wear down fast. Ceramic coated headers of today are supposed to act like header wrapped header.So this is not used as much anymore due to the extra expenses.

But my question is, who else has tried this and succeeded. Or better yet, has anyone tried this and have gotten negative results???

Thanks
Old 07-10-2002, 04:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

desecrates

hmm like a religious thing?
Old 07-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SolidFish
Originally, wrapping headers is for performance upgrade. As wierd as it might sound, exhaust performs better under higher temperatures
That and the fact that underhood temps are reduced by like 30%.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Badaxxima

That and the fact that underhood temps are reduced by like 30%.
getting aftermarket headers sure does get it hotter in there... almost feels like it'll melt wires on a hot day.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:55 PM
2K1HoMax

i dont know if i ever had any bees? i wrapped the pipe and installed it at the same time so i dont know if i really had a problem with it, other. some1 i talked to who has a 4th gen said his isnt wrapped, but hes got no bee sound, just a swooshing sound(dont know, i dont havent heard it) the only sound i have thats more then normal is a slight vroom sound after i left off the gas from gettin on it. say i left off around 5k then it does this for a sec or two, nothing big. its more of a slealth mode if installed corectly. the bee probelm that i had for a little time was more of a exhaust leak, the o-ring on the top of the pipe (the one near the firewall) tends to pop out of place becasue the pipe just pops in place at once. its kind of a tight fite but it goes in just fine. but later i removed the pipe and saw the o-ring had slide out of place, just threw in a new one and no noise. and yeah it was wrapped when it made this sound. the wrap i used was DEI which i got through summit, the 1" by 50ft was more then enough and does not recommed u warp it more then once with 1/4 inch overlaps.

Old 07-10-2002, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i see...
Old 07-10-2002, 08:10 PM

I was thinling of trying this cuz mine is a little noisey. I was thinking of doing the flex section too, thats where I think the crap sound is coming from. Warpspeed uses superior lined flex though right Like the power; Hate the noise.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:01 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by maxstyle98
I was thinling of trying this cuz mine is a little noisey. I was thinking of doing the flex section too, thats where I think the crap sound is coming from. Warpspeed uses superior lined flex though right Like the power; Hate the noise.
dont know about that, i have the stillen pipe and my flex section isnt wrapped. i have no extra noise, the only thing that makes noise is the intake. the only noise like i said i had was due to a exhaust leak and it did sound like bees in a can. now that leak was cause when the piped poped into place and the gasket slipped out. now its quite. no noise or anything, and one thing about exhasut wrap just to let every1 know if u dont, it smokes and smells like something is burning, done worry its just the wrap setteling down and is completly normal so dont worry if u see any smoke ur car is still fine. now if the smoke is black, then u gotta problem.