Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

The new new Frankencar GD thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 07:37 AM

i want one but...

i gotta wait till paypal stuff goes through... first time setting up paypal account you know.... once it does go through, i'll be getting a silver midpipe with the apexi filter...
Old 09-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Horra!!

Good luck gettin thru, bro. You'll need it...
Old 09-29-2003, 09:56 AM

Still waiting on mine....

(4th gen)

edit: just called again...supposedly mine is getting shipped out today or tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:10 PM

Help!

Well, I have installed and reinstalled this intake system more than once over the weekend, I have left my battery disconnected overnight, and I have even prayed, but my car runs like ***. She's driveable, but she runs like ***. I can't imagine what isn't hooked up correctly, but she runs like ***. I had started a thread in the 5th generation section called "Frankencar Intake Issues" that expand on my problem. If anyone can help, I would be forever grateful. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:53 PM

hmmm..i dont know what to tell you FtNx.now youre making me want to cancel my order as well.anyway,i spoke to steve last saturday and he said the car might have to be driven some 100+ miles befor the intakes capabilities fully kick in.i dont really know the truth right now.hey fellow 4th genners!whats the word?!?
Old 09-29-2003, 05:14 PM

I have a 4th gen, and since I installed the intake I think I loss some low end torque. I actually have to downshift a lot of times now. I drove it over 100 miles since the installation, not really getting any better. No noticeable gains in the high end yet neither.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:23 PM

As soon as the growl sets in there is a loss in power. I don't know if it's a sensor problem, but it's obviously a poor air:fuel mix when I goose it.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by FtNx
Well, I have installed and reinstalled this intake system more than once over the weekend, I have left my battery disconnected overnight, and I have even prayed, but my car runs like ***. She's driveable, but she runs like ***. I can't imagine what isn't hooked up correctly, but she runs like ***. I had started a thread in the 5th generation section called "Frankencar Intake Issues" that expand on my problem. If anyone can help, I would be forever grateful. Thanks!
Did you leave the scoop on or take it off. Also what did you do with the boost sensor attached to the scoop.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by akn711
I have a 4th gen, and since I installed the intake I think I loss some low end torque. I actually have to downshift a lot of times now. I drove it over 100 miles since the installation, not really getting any better. No noticeable gains in the high end yet neither.

WTF is going on with these intakes.im having a bad feeling about this.ill try to open a thread in a week and ill ask for everybody who ordered the full intakes to post how the intake is working for them.im so paranoid sometimes but hey...thats $200 i just wasted if thats the case.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That was another thing I was wondering when installing my intake on my '04, what do I do with that electrical plug (I guess that's the boost sensor) that was plugged in to the plastic piping. Do I just leave it hanging, does it mean something if it's not plugged in?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:11 PM

i dunno about u guys but frankencar on my 2k3 is working great. I seriously forgot about how the stock airbox feels like since i had the injen cai on for the past 6 months and the frankencar definitely pulls alot harder than the injen w/ NO loss in low-end. Even my dad said it pulled harder.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by KP ROX
Did you leave the scoop on or take it off. Also what did you do with the boost sensor attached to the scoop.
I left the scoop in place... The sensor from the scoop now runs to the midpipe; and yes, I transferred the rubber gromet along with it. The MAF section is hooked up correctly, I think. It may not be completely vertical anymore, but I have reoriented it during a reinstall. I suspect all connections are tight enough. I'm concerned with tightening things much more, in fear of snapping a clamp or worse. I'm 99% confident that my vacuum hoses have been reattached correctly. Nevertheless, I would not doubt it if I have done something wrong along the way. Whatever... I'm either going back to stock set-up this Friday or she's going to the shop. I sure would feel stupid taking her to the shop for something like this...

One day I'll be able to look back on all this and chuckle; but, right now, this sucks!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:56 PM

Actually the boost sensor is still attached to the side of the scoop, the ATS runs to the midpipe. Pardon my wording back there...
Old 09-30-2003, 08:50 AM

I absolutely love my midpipe i order (2k2), it gave me back the lowend i had lost with the stillen pop charger. And not the intake ROARS!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by FtNx
Actually the boost sensor is still attached to the side of the scoop, the ATS runs to the midpipe. Pardon my wording back there...

FTnx, you could always return it, I think you have thirty days to return it for full refund.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:58 AM

I have not installed mine, yet. I think I read a while back that someone had installed something backwards. I don't even know if that's possible. I was hoping for some kind of diagram with this intake showing how it's supposed to go together (a picture is worth a thousand words). I did get the written instructions. Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:07 PM

Here is the instructions for a 2002-2003.
http://www.xpert-networking.com/max/fcstage2install.pdf
Old 09-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Horra!!

Link no worky
Old 09-30-2003, 03:22 PM

Try now.

http://www.xpert-networking.com/max/fcstage2install.pdf
Old 09-30-2003, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the write up. It looks very good.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:56 PM

One question, the small hose that connects to the intake pipe, what is that technically called? I was supposed to get one in the box with all the intake parts, but didn't, and I was wondering is that a basic hose that I could pick up at AutoZone or Kragen? Steve at Frankencar said he'd send me one, but I'm not really gonna bet the bank on that, so I was hoping this was something generic that I could grab on my own so I can install the intake. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:41 PM

Has everyone gotten their's besides me. This sucks. I'm going to have to call again...
Old 10-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Horra!!

I haven't gotten mine yet either. Scott said tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:54 PM

if my paypal account is still in verification lingo (my bank statement won't be in till at least october 7th) will the order go thru when I first started the account on the frankencar paypal shopping cart?

this is my first time buying stuff on internet with paypal...

i'm asking because i may cancel it altogether and just go for the injen (silver) so i can match my soon to arrive otto ftsb and swa battery tie down (if we fill the 20 minimum quota). heck i can just call adventon or swa and order with my visa card (if swa is willing to match adventon's price) and have it sent within a week.

it seems i would get more material for the money... (well in comparison to frankencar with apexi filter that is...)
Old 10-01-2003, 07:48 PM

Well, as I posted on 5th gen/Frankencar Intake Issue thread, my midpipe broke today. I had to slap my stock plastics back in place. I was doing nothing more than checking the integrity of the vacuum line connections and one of the smaller attachments on the midpipe extension broke right off, taking with it a chunk of paint and metal. This has been a **** poor experience for me. I never got my car to run right with the intake and now the intake system is as broke as the ten commandments. Good luck to the rest of you. Any recommendations on a better investment?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:08 PM
LithiuMax

How did id break? The skinny little metal part that goes to the engine broke? Were you jerking it around? How can metal just break?

Old 10-01-2003, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
How did id break? The skinny little metal part that goes to the engine broke? Were you jerking it around? How can metal just break?
I don't know what to tell you. I'm a pretty neurotic guy, especially when it comes to my car- very meticulous. It's not like I was under the hood with a mallet and a sledge hammer. It just broke... I was applying a light vertical twisting force to ensure a good connection of the smallest diameter vacuum hose. I was careful not to apply any angular force. I'm looking at the broken piece now. It actually appears that the hose attachment broke off cleanly, taking with it a chunk of adjacent paint with a thin layer of underlying metal. Honestly, you use more force attaching the hose than anything I was doing today.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:03 AM

maybe it was a bad weld? I haven't seen the part since I haven't recieved mine yet. if this is the case you should send it back. although it might take a year to get a new one.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:03 AM

I feel for you guys. I'm glad I got a refund before they shipped.

The pi$$-poor customer service was bad enough, but If i'd still be waiting for them to ship, or if a piece was missing when I got it, or if something broke during install...that woulda sent me over the edge
Old 10-02-2003, 08:26 AM
Horra!!

FTNX, you should give Scott a call. I've been talking to him recently and he seems like a reasonable guy. I think the fair thing that they should do is to ship you a new midpipe.
Here's his number:
413-219-6922
Old 10-02-2003, 09:50 AM

Got mine installed last night, once I went and bought that small vacuum hose from Kragen for a buck, it all installed like a snap! The only thing I need now is a metal bracket to attach the filter to the car itself to prevent the whole thing from rattling around, but for now I think its ok. The sound isnt terribly different, I'll take pics today to post so if someone notices I did something wrong, you can let me know. But I definitely notice a quicker acceleration getting on the freeway, a little less delay. I'm hoping the gas mileage will improve as well, and maybe when i get the bracket to solidify the intake, I'll hear some better sound.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 AM

Thanks, guys... Yea, I'll be calling tonight or tomorrow. It's just been a very busy week for me. The intake problems were not well received on this end, but the stock plastic gear is back in plaace and it's at least nice to have her running "normal" again. However, I do look forward to having an optimally functional intake in place. I suppose I'll request a replacement part, assuming the midpipe was defective to begin with. If things aren't right then, I'm going to have to move on to a different product. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully, I'll have something I can live with in place within the year...
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by chrisaust
it all installed like a snap!
I almost thought you said it installed with a snap! Good this its "like" a snap
Old 10-02-2003, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by looslip
I almost thought you said it installed with a snap! Good this its "like" a snap

looslip, did you get your intake today? I got a package slip in my mailbox at school, so hopefully it's my intake and I hope that I'll have time to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:22 PM

got mine today!yeah!im gonna wait until the weekend to install it tho coz i know,if i felt that the car is driving good,ill be in the mood to drive around.good luck to all of you guys!
Old 10-03-2003, 12:09 AM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by hoodedmunkee
got mine today!yeah!im gonna wait until the weekend to install it tho coz i know,if i felt that the car is driving good,ill be in the mood to drive around.good luck to all of you guys!
I got my intake at work today. I couldn't wait to get home I was so freakin stoked!! I got home and just dove right into installing the sucker (sorry Lithuimax, I couldn't wait...). The shyt sounds crazy over 4K!
<<<<------- ONE HAPPY AZZ KID!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 09:49 AM

Got mine installed as well. If you're looking for a cheap and simple way to attach the filter to the side of the car, I found this steel pipe support stuff, its a roll 25feet long with holes punched the length of it. Basically I cut enough off to be able to fold it over to double up the thickness, and screwed one end to the MAF adapter right at the filter, and the other end to the screw that held the old air filter case. Just make sure you get the holes matched up. Worked like a charm for me, and cost under $3 at home depot, in the piping aisle. I'll post pics as soon as I get my car back from the installer, getting a sub/amp and mp3 cd changer installed today.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:09 PM

anybody from the bay area with a 4th gen that installed their intake already ? I want to check out someones setup. because as of now the car is not pulling as strong and idle is rough after the install. i am going to try to reset the ecu AGAIN and reinstalling after i check out how someone else done it and made it work
Old 10-03-2003, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by akn711
anybody from the bay area with a 4th gen that installed their intake already ? I want to check out someones setup. because as of now the car is not pulling as strong and idle is rough after the install. i am going to try to reset the ecu AGAIN and reinstalling after i check out how someone else done it and made it work

Try cleaning the throttle body while you installing. Instructions on motorvate.ca. I did this. I'm very impressed with this intake, esp. with the sound. Oh My!!
Old 10-04-2003, 02:01 PM

Check out pics of my install! http://www.chrisaustin.us/car.html

Quick Reply: The new new Frankencar GD thread