Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

WARPSPEED B-pipe Group deal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004 | 08:25 AM
scopium

well its ok that they cant produce it fast enough .. as long as we get our b pipes.. i dont mind waiting a month or two for a b pipe thats gonna cost me pretty cheap
Old 05-18-2004 | 08:46 AM
I miss the .org!

I can't wait...I'm probably buying today since it seems like no GD pricing is gonna happen anytime soon.
Old 05-18-2004 | 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by wildmanal
Both Budget and WS have pretty crappy products, but I would choose Budget over WS any day.
I agree that WS stinks on quality - bought a Y-pipe in the 1st GD and it was too short, so the muffler shop where I was getting it installed had to cut it and weld in an additional piece to make it fit.

However, I disagree that Budget make crappy products - bought a Y-pipe and a B-pipe about 6 months ago(for another Max) and can't be more than happy with the quality. The only problem is that the Y-pipe had the flex section lined improperly and I get bees-in-the can noise sometimes, which is easily remedied with some header wrap.
Old 05-18-2004 | 09:14 AM
I miss the .org!

(Let's keep this thread about B-Pipes, not Y's)

Called Budget Exhaust today. The Resonated SS B-pipe is CAD$275 shipped. Using today's conversion, that's USD$197 shipped.
Old 05-18-2004 | 09:38 AM
I miss the .org!

Just called WSP and confirmed that w/a previous Y-Pipe purchase, the Resonated B-pipe would be about $165 shipped. Forgot the name of the lady I spoke to.

I am waiting on a callback from Dallas to find out if I can make the 2.5" fit w/my stock muffler, since the 2.25" is designed for stock and 2.5" for aftermarket.
Old 05-18-2004 | 11:57 AM

so 2.5 will gain more power than a 2.25? Just wondering which is the better b pipe.
Old 05-18-2004 | 12:00 PM
I miss the .org!

Well I have a 2.5" Y-pipe (soon to be HS headers) and 2.5" resonated straight pipe, so I called up and ordered a 2.5" resonated B-pipe just now.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:06 PM
Sports Button FTW

2.5 exhaust (y-pipe, test pipe, b-pipe, and muffler inlet) will produce more power than 2.25". If boosted, the gains are even more. I may just get it from warpspeed...i didnt buy my y-pipe from them recently buy my friend did so i'll just use him
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:57 PM
I miss the .org!

Dallas called me back and confirmed that 2.5" B-pipe will align correctly w/the stock muffler on 5th gens. They're going to make my pipe, test-fit it in a 2003, and then ship it to me this week
Old 05-18-2004 | 02:17 PM

is this the same for 4th gens or they need to create one?
Old 05-20-2004 | 04:43 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by meccanoble
2.5 exhaust (y-pipe, test pipe, b-pipe, and muffler inlet) will produce more power than 2.25". If boosted, the gains are even more. I may just get it from warpspeed...i didnt buy my y-pipe from them recently buy my friend did so i'll just use him

I was just scanning this thread and saw something that I don't believe is true. You are right about 2.5" inside diameter being right for the catback tubing, but I'll tell you from six years of y-pipes manufacturing that its too big for the rear end of a y-pipe. You want that diameter to open up as it goes back, and 2.5" at the end of a y-pipe will not make maximum power in a normally aspirated car (we get superior results with a <2.5" diameter y-pipe on most s/c'd cars too, but with real seriously modded engines I'd also agree that you'd want to open everything up a bit more).

Not meaning to start an argument, or dis anybody's knowledge, I simply know that this is true based on a lot of development experience.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-20-2004 | 05:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Cattman
I was just scanning this thread and saw something that I don't believe is true. You are right about 2.5" inside diameter being right for the catback tubing, but I'll tell you from six years of y-pipes manufacturing that its too big for the rear end of a y-pipe. You want that diameter to open up as it goes back, and 2.5" at the end of a y-pipe takes away power in a normally aspirated car (and it works darned well in the s/c'd cars as well).

Not meaning to start an argument, or dis anybody's knowledge, I just happen to know that this is true based on an enormous amount of experience.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Yo! Mecc knows what hes talkin bout B!!!

j/k

I'm sure he didn't mean a 2.5" Ypipe. The y needs to stay the stock diameter to maintain the velocity of the gases flowing through it. If it slows down, thats when you get problems... am I correct?

drew
Old 05-20-2004 | 06:14 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by bluemaxdriver4
Yo! Mecc knows what hes talkin bout B!!!

j/k

I'm sure he didn't mean a 2.5" Ypipe. The y needs to stay the stock diameter to maintain the velocity of the gases flowing through it. If it slows down, thats when you get problems... am I correct?

drew

You're absolutely right about maintaining gas velocity, but the stock y-pipe outlet diameter is too small.

BCC
Old 05-20-2004 | 08:08 PM
VQ Disciple

So a WS y-pipe with a WS b-pipe will increase my performance even with a stock muffler? Or do i have to change the Muffler too?
Old 05-21-2004 | 03:31 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by Cattman
You're absolutely right about maintaining gas velocity, but the stock y-pipe outlet diameter is too small.

BCC
i apologize for giving misinformation. I always thought a full exhaust system with 2.5" inlets would be better than any 2.5" w/ 2.25" combo. And 2.5" to 2.25" works better on some supercharged cars as well? I really find it hard to believe cause i thought the car always need more breathing room but i didnt do the research and I certainly dont know more about y-pipes than cattman so i'll roll with the flow and bow down to the new knowledge i have received .

BTW, at what point is full 2.5" exhaust or greater needed on a S/C car? just wondering if i should stay with my setup....
Old 05-21-2004 | 03:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

i apologize for giving misinformation. I always thought a full exhaust system with 2.5" inlets would be better than any 2.5" w/ 2.25" combo. And 2.5" to 2.25" works better on some supercharged cars as well? I really find it hard to believe cause i thought the car always need more breathing room but i didnt do the research and I certainly dont know more about y-pipes than cattman so i'll roll with the flow and bow down to the new knowledge i have received .

BTW, at what point is full 2.5" exhaust or greater needed on a S/C car? just wondering if i should stay with my setup....

Heck, "misinformation" would be way too strong a word - some opinions are just more accurate than others. ;-) Its not illogical to make that assumption, it just doesn't prove out in application. Some of the other producers of performance y-pipe seem to think its true as well - seemed so obvious that apparently they never did their homework, or at least they assume their customers won't.

My statement about s/c'd engines and exhaust diameter was meant to be very conditional. We see no advantage in putting a larger diameter y-pipe on a VQ30DE engine with a basic s/c setup (yes, THAT brand), but that would only hold true to a point. Larger s/c pullies, cams, etc. adding up to big power mean more exhaust needing to get out more quickly, so at some point it absolutely would make sense to go to a 2.5" (or even, ultimately a 2.75" y-pipe, though that tubing diameter is difficult to find and expensive), coupled with a 2.75" - 3" custom catback exhaust (custom, since no one makes a production version, and it gets pretty tricky to do w/o rattles because you start running out of clearance room for that size of tubing).

Whatever diameter(s) we're trying to match to engine size, the key aspect is that it gets bigger as it goes back to maintain exhaust velocity and avoid stagnation. Its little known, but Nissan's stock exhaust actually gets bigger (almost continuously rather than in steps) between the cat and the muffler. Its a little too small, but they've got the right idea and that's why aftermarket exhausts don't add a whole lot of power to the VQ30DE engines. [But since Nissan didn't change the exhaust in 2002, its significantly more undersized relative to the VQ35DE engine, and an aftermarket exhaust adds a lot more power to that engine.]

No need to step further on someone else's thread, but I'll note that we're kicking off the big Cattman y-pipe sale at some point in the next couple of days on this group deal forum, so keep an eye out. We usually say, "never the cheapest, but always the best", but at our sale prices, they will be less expensive than some (and still the best).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-22-2004 | 10:09 AM
Sports Button FTW

^^^^ very good information, thanks Cattman. Any chance you guys will be getting a group deal on your catback? or just b-pipe? Interested to see the company's your new prices will be competing with

BTW, so even with boost, although 2.5" or higher is needed when running like 10 psi, do u recommend going like 2.5" or 2.75" y-pipe than 3" catback vs having everything the same size? just as long as back is bigger?
Old 05-22-2004 | 12:04 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

^^^^ very good information, thanks Cattman. Any chance you guys will be getting a group deal on your catback? or just b-pipe? Interested to see the company's your new prices will be competing with

BTW, so even with boost, although 2.5" or higher is needed when running like 10 psi, do u recommend going like 2.5" or 2.75" y-pipe than 3" catback vs having everything the same size? just as long as back is bigger?

I'd like to do a group deal on our exhausts (b-pipe, muffler or the whole catback), but we pay so darned much for their LA-based production that there's no room to get crazy with price cuts. We have a little more room with our y-pipes and headers, but never the margin that companies like Stillen have (their cost for a y-pipe is about 30-40% of ours!). Its partly a matter of volume, but we also insist that they use the best materials and subcomponents, and expensive production methods such as using TIG welding and the really expensive hand-made 2-1 merge collectors featured in our y-pipes (one of our biggest power advantages over the competition, none of whom do it this way). Its not just hype, these costs add up dramatically. Call it an ego thing, or a foolish business practice, but I've always been determined to make the best parts, knowing that I'll never make the most money that way.

At some point we may be forced to look at off-shore production, but I do all I can to keep it in the US (our headers come from New Zealand, but that sure doesn't save us any money), both for patriotic reasons and the convenience of shorter supply lines and close relationships with my fabricators (in almost all cases, my suppliers have become friends over time, so there are personal loyalty issues "getting in the way of profits" as well).

Let's say you're starting out with an engine that only has a supercharger added - everything else is stock. Pretending that you had all possible sizes (inside tubing diameters) of y-pipes and exhausts available for experimentation, you'd find that increasing the size from stock would give you more power up to some point. In a normally aspirated engine, going beyond that optimal setup would lead to loss of power in the lower end. In a forced air situation, it would be more a matter of the gains just stopping, rather than the power falling off.

That said, the optimal design involves increasing tubing diameter as the exhaust goes back, but there's no point in going too big if only due to cost factors - the minute you go beyond 2.5" you're paying big time for quality custom work (and accepting that custom work is a "on-off" process without the development and testing that should go into a production piece). Other practical matters include the limitations of available materials (not easy to find 2.75" ID 304 stainless tubing and you pay through the nose for it).

We've actually made "big mouth" s/c y-pipes in the past, but the demand was never there to support the production numbers we needed to run (I still have a 3" s/c y-pipe for a 99-01 CA/NLEV car that I'd love to get rid of).

Given your interests, don't forget about headers. If you're serious about making normally aspirated or forced air power, the only way to capture all the power available from exhaust modifications is to start out with a header. If you want the one that works best, look at ours, which includes a y-pipe that is integral to the design (you cannot make a good set of headers using a performance y-pipe that attaches to the stock manifolds). Check out www.ceasarschariot.com next week, they'll be doing a thorough review of the Cattman Performance Header System.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-25-2004 | 05:11 PM
VQ Disciple

Originally Posted by MrRogerStatus
So a WS y-pipe with a WS b-pipe will increase my performance even with a stock muffler? Or do i have to change the Muffler too?

:attention Can someone answer my question :attention
Old 05-25-2004 | 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrRogerStatus
:attention Can someone answer my question :attention
Yes... The y-pipe will give you the most performance and then the b-pipe. The muffler is basically for sound and it'll add or take an HP or two, not much. Some 4th gen people have kept their stock mufflers or they upgraded them to the stock 5th gens mufflers or aftermarket ones.

I'm just planning on getting a y-pipe and keeping everything else stock. I'll probably put on a 5th gen muffler later on when this one craps out.

http://maxmods.dyndns.org has info on mods and stuff...
Old 05-25-2004 | 05:30 PM

MrRoger ... you will see performance gains by replacing your stock Y & B pipes while keeping your stock muffler. Unfortunately, since we can't search I cannot find the posts with dyno sheets .. but it's been proven.

Not sure how much more power you'd get with an afermarket rear section, probably not much.

Really, your best bang for your buck is the Y pipe (at least on the 4th gen).
Old 05-26-2004 | 06:34 AM

hey cattman, how much can you sell them y-pipes to us for if we had a gd?? The warspeed GD for y-pipes before didnt apply for 2003... which sucked....
Old 06-06-2004 | 04:19 AM
I miss the .org!

BUYER BEWARE

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=315592
Old 06-06-2004 | 05:33 AM

Be careful with this company people. Too many people are having negative experiences, including me.
Old 06-06-2004 | 02:24 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
hey cattman, how much can you sell them y-pipes to us for if we had a gd?? The warspeed GD for y-pipes before didnt apply for 2003... which sucked....

All of our y-pipe versions - including our 02/03 y-pipe (part #YG5A) - have been on sale for the last couple of weeks on the group deal forum. Tomorrow's the last day, price is marked down from $350 (they haven't been priced at $400 for years) to $285. Just call 800.759.9920 between 8-5MST.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 06-07-2004 | 07:43 AM
scopium

so was up with this b-pipe group deal...is it still on
Old 06-07-2004 | 08:36 AM
Project Ruby......

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Dallas called me back and confirmed that 2.5" B-pipe will align correctly w/the stock muffler on 5th gens. They're going to make my pipe, test-fit it in a 2003, and then ship it to me this week

Sweet a 2.5" bpipe will align correctly with a stock 5th gen muffler!

This will be the route I'm going in a month or so.
Old 06-07-2004 | 12:33 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
Sweet a 2.5" bpipe will align correctly with a stock 5th gen muffler!

This will be the route I'm going in a month or so.

Actually, I really would recommend against that. Save up for a pipe from another company. If you follow my link in post #63, you'll see why I say that...
Old 06-07-2004 | 05:01 PM
Project Ruby......

Hmm, thanks maybe I'll pass on that one now.
Old 06-09-2004 | 08:51 AM

Has everyone forgotten about frankencar. i bet they would do a group deal. I know people hate there shipping times but i always see there exhaust on ebay so i am guessing they have to have some b-pipes hidden away.
Old 06-09-2004 | 09:19 AM
scopium

OK guys.. as Luquire suggested .. i emailed Frankencar about their b-pipes..
i'm waiting for a response.. hopefully they are interested in doing a group deal..
i'll keep you guys updated ....
Old 06-09-2004 | 10:49 AM

Thankyou scopium
Old 06-09-2004 | 11:34 AM
I miss the .org!

Do they sell just the b-pipe? What's the regular price?
Old 06-09-2004 | 11:59 AM
scopium

yes they do sell just the b-pipe
its SS and i think it comes with 2 pieces...
regular price is 200+20 shipping.... which is a ok price.. but if we can get it cheaper it would be great
Old 06-09-2004 | 12:15 PM
I miss the .org!

That's not too bad. If it's the same b-pipe used in their catback exhaust systems, it looks pretty nice. SS and looks similar to the Cattman pipe. If we could get it under $200 shipped, it would be the same price as Budget too.

Do they make it in a 2.5" resonated size? As soon as I get my refund after I return this Warpspeed piece of crap, I'll be buying a real B-Pipe
Old 06-10-2004 | 10:55 AM
scopium

still waiting for their response
Old 06-10-2004 | 02:26 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

Originally Posted by scopium
still waiting for their response
expect a reply in about.... NEVER. They wont answer to anything. Try calling them, they wont answer also.
Old 06-14-2004 | 02:44 PM
I miss the .org!

Seriously? That's what I was worried about...one of the reasons I never seriously considered their intakes...
Old 06-15-2004 | 11:25 AM
scopium

8 emails and 0 response..wow.. what a way to do business
Old 06-15-2004 | 01:24 PM
I miss the .org!

Alrighty then. Sounds like I'll probably be buying the Budget pipe then. Only problem is that their website disappeared awhile back, although their phone # still works.