Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Ksport 2005 Drift Season KickOff Special. $740 shipped!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005 | 02:37 PM

i will think i will take the plunge along with mr. duck. price is hard to beat.
we should get a discount since we are going representing ksport in chicagoland. i should send you a payment by the end of the week. anybody else can help me out with parts i need for the install so i can keep my original struts together? want to order the parts from nissan too. ill take one day to put them together off the car and the next to just swap them out. these come with everything i need right, camber plates too right?

this will be my second mod for the maxima even though i am still not able to drive it.
Old 05-02-2005 | 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well i just talked to lawrence at ksport, and he said the ETA on the coilovers arriving from overseas is friday, so i should have them some time next week hopefully.

BTW, i just wanted to point out that Ksports customer service is amazing, its so easy to get in contact with them, they even have AIM, which is where i have been talking with lawrence through.
Old 05-02-2005 | 04:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just made payment...

I forgot to specify model... its for my 00 max (A33)... 9/7 spring rates please
(my email is canadian_guy30@hotmail.com)
Old 05-02-2005 | 04:36 PM

got the payment, processing in progress. Thanks.
Wei Zhang
Old 05-03-2005 | 10:10 AM

Ksports

How do you make the dampening adjustments? Is it a dial that you turn on the top of the strut ( like the Teins ) or a screw ( Like the Illuminas ). I couldn't really thell from the pictures.
Old 05-03-2005 | 12:31 PM

it's a dial. you insert the dial ***** into the shocks from the top and turn to adjust.
Old 05-04-2005 | 05:11 AM

jinsu, the camber plates are included, correct?

please keep us updated. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2005 | 06:57 AM

pics of drop

ok kids i guess i was the guinea pig for these b/c nobody else on the org has them..so i will vow for jinsu and post some pics of the drop...check it out

the ride is great..im on 19's so im tucked just a bit..with no clearance issues and no rubbing issues...
Old 05-04-2005 | 06:58 AM

pics of drop

sorry for the bad quality i took it in a rush..but u get the picture..
Old 05-04-2005 | 07:26 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

gameover03, what suspension did you have before? Have you ridden on any others for the Max? How do the ride and handling of the K-Sports compare?
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jinsu
depends on what model year you have. i believe from 00 and up all installation is staright on swap. for the earlier ones you will need to get the mounts off for the rear.
you need to pull the stock rear mounts on the 00-03 as well.
Old 05-04-2005 | 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
you need to pull the stock rear mounts on the 00-03 as well.
What exactly do you mean " you need to pull the stock rear mounts. " Sorry if this is a dumb question. I installed my Tein S-Tech's and they were a direct replacement for the stock spring. Does the rear mounts refer to the strut?
Old 05-04-2005 | 10:13 AM

im waiting to see how it looks on the 4th gen, to tell you the truth, i could care less how it looks on a 5th gen, because you guys dont have that NASTY wheel gap that we do so im still waiting, but from what i can tell, i will be the 1st 4th gen to get them... dont know any other 4th gens that have ordered them before i did... ah well..
Old 05-04-2005 | 12:35 PM
Suspension Yoda

so id better get some rear strut mounts for these - anything else i need? dustboots? what about the preload problem..anyone know about that?
Old 05-04-2005 | 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
so id better get some rear strut mounts for these - anything else i need? dustboots? what about the preload problem..anyone know about that?
What preload problem?
Old 05-04-2005 | 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
I spoke to someone at the phone number listed on K-Sport USA's site, and I could have sworn they said that the 4th gen Maxima kits included rear top mounts...
Old 05-04-2005 | 01:06 PM

well the 5 gen doesnt come with rear top mounts and as far as riding in n e other cars to compare too..the same day these were installed another kid was installing tein ss's and he wished he bought these ..not only for price but for camber plates and what he claimed as a better ride...
Old 05-04-2005 | 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by gameover03
well the 5 gen doesnt come with rear top mounts and as far as riding in n e other cars to compare too..the same day these were installed another kid was installing tein ss's and he wished he bought these ..not only for price but for camber plates and what he claimed as a better ride...

good to know, that damn tein coilover thread was starting to get to me.. haha well either way... just another week or so.... im so excited!
Old 05-04-2005 | 01:50 PM

as far as technical questions regarding ksport, it's best to contact their support line on aim and visit their site. I know some of the applications pretty well but not all of them so you will get the best information from them. But i will try to do my best to answer.
Old 05-04-2005 | 02:32 PM

Guys, I will also be taking the plunge into these coilovers today or tomorrow. I've been talking to jinsu over pm and he seems to be very prompt and good with his replies.
Old 05-04-2005 | 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by gameover03
What's these rear top mounts? Is there any issues with strange noises? How easy or hard is it to adjust the dampening on these? I know with the Teins, it's a simple click that tells you which level of dampening you're switching it to. When I had my Koni's, it was just a free turning. Does it "click" to let you know each level? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2005 | 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by BRAN808
What's these rear top mounts? Is there any issues with strange noises? How easy or hard is it to adjust the dampening on these? I know with the Teins, it's a simple click that tells you which level of dampening you're switching it to. When I had my Koni's, it was just a free turning. Does it "click" to let you know each level? Thanks in advance.
Very good question, I'd like to know this as well.
Old 05-04-2005 | 05:01 PM

What exactly do you mean " you need to pull the stock rear mounts. " Sorry if this is a dumb question. I installed my Tein S-Tech's and they were a direct replacement for the stock spring. Does the rear mounts refer to the strut?

it is a rubbery piece on top of your strut, if you replaced your springs you removed it and put it back on. i think the 4th gens come with them, the 5th gens do not.
Old 05-04-2005 | 05:04 PM

you adjust your damping under your hood and trunk, you stick your adjusting key in and turn the key to adjust. Very easy. No known noise issue as game0ver has been using them on his car rite now.
Old 05-04-2005 | 05:14 PM

There's no click.
Old 05-04-2005 | 05:35 PM

So if the Ksports don't come with the top mounts, do you just re-use the oem, or do you have to purchase them separately from somewhere else? Shucks, I was hoping for some sort of method of "distinction" when adjusting the dampening. I know with my Koni's, you had to just guess where 1.5 turns was etc... Waiting to see for more input from others who have these!
Old 05-04-2005 | 06:19 PM

the top mounts are included but you will need a rubbry piece from your stockers to install the shocks correctly.
Old 05-04-2005 | 07:29 PM

Thanks for all of your guys info.
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:02 PM

what rubbery piece are you refering too. where the spring sits on? whatever it is i will just order it new so taht i dont have to take the old ones apart. thanks.

joshua
Old 05-04-2005 | 10:03 PM

ksports

Can somebody explain to me what/how you would adjust the "adjustable body for maximum suspension travel" as stated in ksports description for the coilovers. Can somebody please explain that to this moron ( ME! )
Does this basically mean you can slam the car and still have full travel? Is there a different mount you use?
Old 05-05-2005 | 12:52 AM
LithiuMax

jinsu, expect some money from me tommorow...
Old 05-05-2005 | 06:45 AM

Can somebody explain to me what/how you would adjust the "adjustable body for maximum suspension travel" as stated in ksports description for the coilovers. Can somebody please explain that to this moron ( ME! )
Does this basically mean you can slam the car and still have full travel? Is there a different mount you use?
You can adjust where the spring sits relative to the shock. If you lengthen it, you'll get more suspension travel and less preload. If you car is slammed and you set it for maximum suspension travel, you might eventually run into a problem where your wheels rub the top of the inner fender wall on hard bumps (not sure if that's a problem here). If you shorten it, you're compressing the spring more so it's like having a higher spring rate, but you get less travel and more preload.

Preload is how much the spring is being compressed when you're just sitting at rest. If you have a lot of preload, your ride will be stiffer and bouncier and your wheel will have a greater tendency to drop when your car goes over a pothole or a dip in the road. If you have too little preload, you might lean a little more in corners.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, tho... any experts care to chime in?
Old 05-05-2005 | 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by jinsu
the top mounts are included but you will need a rubbry piece from your stockers to install the shocks correctly.

they are not included on the 00+ models.
Old 05-05-2005 | 08:15 AM

yes, you adjust the lower bracket to drop the car so you dont have to pre-load the spring to drop it. sooo you keep full travel.
Old 05-05-2005 | 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
You can adjust where the spring sits relative to the shock. If you lengthen it, you'll get more suspension travel and less preload. If you car is slammed and you set it for maximum suspension travel, you might eventually run into a problem where your wheels rub the top of the inner fender wall on hard bumps (not sure if that's a problem here). If you shorten it, you're compressing the spring more so it's like having a higher spring rate, but you get less travel and more preload.

Preload is how much the spring is being compressed when you're just sitting at rest. If you have a lot of preload, your ride will be stiffer and bouncier and your wheel will have a greater tendency to drop when your car goes over a pothole or a dip in the road. If you have too little preload, you might lean a little more in corners.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, tho... any experts care to chime in?

so from this, say you set ur coilovers at a certain relativly low height, and get springs which are at the same height, theoretically does that mean the springs will have less preload, since ur not compressing the spring as much? or will the natural preload caused by the weight of the car cause there not to be much difference?
Old 05-05-2005 | 09:40 AM

jinsu, you can expect my payment this evening. We can work out shipping when the time comes.
Old 05-05-2005 | 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
yes, you adjust the lower bracket to drop the car so you dont have to pre-load the spring to drop it. sooo you keep full travel.
I'm not sure if I FULLY get it. See, I've had sleeve type coilovers (Ground Control) before and the way you would lower the car is to lower the spring perch. This is basically where the spring would sit, right. Now when you say lower bracket, I'm assuming you're not talking about the spring perch. Is it something like you leave the spring perch where it is, and turn the strut itself to lower??? Can somebody clarify this for me. Sorry for so many questions....just trying to understand fully.
Old 05-05-2005 | 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by drunkenmunky23
so from this, say you set ur coilovers at a certain relativly low height, and get springs which are at the same height, theoretically does that mean the springs will have less preload, since ur not compressing the spring as much? or will the natural preload caused by the weight of the car cause there not to be much difference?
Shorter springs at a given ride height = less preload.

Don't confuse this with having regular springs that are just compressed, cuz that's more preload.

I'm not sure if I FULLY get it. See, I've had sleeve type coilovers (Ground Control) before and the way you would lower the car is to lower the spring perch. This is basically where the spring would sit, right. Now when you say lower bracket, I'm assuming you're not talking about the spring perch. Is it something like you leave the spring perch where it is, and turn the strut itself to lower??? Can somebody clarify this for me. Sorry for so many questions....just trying to understand fully.
On sleeve type springs, you can only change where the spring collar sits relative to the shock body. With these, you can also change where the bottom of the spring sits on the collar.

If you move the collar all the way down on the shock and then move the bottom of the spring all the way up on the collar, you'll slam your ride and stiffen the spring with maximum preload (probably the safe thing to do if you're slamming, actually).

If you move the collar all the way up and the spring all the way down, you'll have maximum ride height (still slightly lower than stock) and maximum travel.

Of course, the point is to mix-and-match to find the optimum.
Old 05-05-2005 | 02:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck
im waiting to see how it looks on the 4th gen, to tell you the truth, i could care less how it looks on a 5th gen, because you guys dont have that NASTY wheel gap that we do so im still waiting, but from what i can tell, i will be the 1st 4th gen to get them... dont know any other 4th gens that have ordered them before i did... ah well..
POST PICS DAMMIT! and tell us about the install if u did it yourself. what other parts, if any u needed to purchase/install? or if u got it done by a mechanic, a rough estimate on pricing for the install. DO IT

-Brendan

jinsu: i know its been asked before but i dont think im understand 100% about what else we (4th gens) would need for the install? thanks!
Old 05-05-2005 | 05:12 PM

Jinsu, what is your paypal email address that I can send payment? I need to send you extra for shipping but your current checkout link won't let me change the price. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ksport 2005 Drift Season KickOff Special. $740 shipped!