Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Ksport 2005 Drift Season KickOff Special. $740 shipped!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:06 PM

jinsupower@gmail.com
Old 05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by d00df00d
On sleeve type springs, you can only change where the spring collar sits relative to the shock body. With these, you can also change where the bottom of the spring sits on the collar.

If you move the collar all the way down on the shock and then move the bottom of the spring all the way up on the collar, you'll slam your ride and stiffen the spring with maximum preload (probably the safe thing to do if you're slamming, actually).

If you move the collar all the way up and the spring all the way down, you'll have maximum ride height (still slightly lower than stock) and maximum travel.

Of course, the point is to mix-and-match to find the optimum.
you are correct, however, they tell you NOT to pre-load the spring because of the extra stress on the strut. you certainlly can put pre-load on, but you will blow your strut faster. i would only put pre-load on if you were going to the track or something. they are to harsh for day to day driving with pre-load (IMO).
Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ZeroCool19
POST PICS DAMMIT! and tell us about the install if u did it yourself. what other parts, if any u needed to purchase/install? or if u got it done by a mechanic, a rough estimate on pricing for the install. DO IT

-Brendan

jinsu: i know its been asked before but i dont think im understand 100% about what else we (4th gens) would need for the install? thanks!
you should not have to buy anything for the install, unless you dont have the correct tools.

i did my coilovers myself and it was pretty easy. the biggest PIA is the adjusting to get the car where you want it.

the biggest thing you need is a breaker bar or a torque wrench to break loose some of the bolts. i tried to get the two bolts that hold the bottom bracket on, off with my impact gun and they would not budge. i then used my torque wrench and they came off pretty easy.

get something like PB Blaster to help get them loose as well.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
you should not have to buy anything for the install, unless you dont have the correct tools.

i did my coilovers myself and it was pretty easy. the biggest PIA is the adjusting to get the car where you want it.

the biggest thing you need is a breaker bar or a torque wrench to break loose some of the bolts. i tried to get the two bolts that hold the bottom bracket on, off with my impact gun and they would not budge. i then used my torque wrench and they came off pretty easy.

get something like PB Blaster to help get them loose as well.
my questions is what things do i need if i do not want to take my stock struts apart. i have done suspension on my se-r and i needed to take some rubber pieces and the strut mounts off my old struts. i heard these come with strut mounts. anything else i need, it is still unclear for me.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:07 AM

you pretty much just need the samiliar rubber pieces like you did on the SE-R but you won't need to take the strut mounts off as they came with the kit already.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:53 AM

thanks jinsu. does ksport offer a strut bar too. i would like to do at least a upper front strut bar now, maybe a rear later. i understand that the ksports come with their own camber kit. am i going to have a problem putting a strut bar on with these camber kits? i just want to order everything in one shot so i can knock out my suspension in one day. thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by jinsu
Payment Sent!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:33 AM

ksport doesn't make strut bars but i do carry many brands that you might find some such as tanabe, tein, and etc. See if you can find one that you like and i will see what i can do.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:57 PM

well guys my coilovers were shipped out today, and im sure some of yours have too, DHL says that it should be in on thurs, and i will be throwing them on either thurs, or sunday with some help from an org member, cross your fingers i get them earliar than thurs! ooo im so excited!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:12 PM

I will be ordering one of these bad boys towards the end of the month.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:28 PM

Can someone do a picture install of these coilovers on a 4th gen?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Can someone do a picture install of these coilovers on a 4th gen?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:06 PM

I just checked Ksport website and it said that the spring rate is 9/6 for Maxima application. So are we getting 9/7 or 9/6?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:41 PM

you are getting the 9/6 they just changed that recently, i didnt know untill today... its not a big deal at all
Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Lower rear spring rate = more rear grip = less oversteer/more understeer at the limit.

That's a good thing, because the limits are going to be a lot higher with these coilovers so it's more important to keep things safe. Our cars also aren't meant to oversteer predictably and safely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but considering that the front weighs 85% more than the rear in our cars, the front springs should be a lot stiffer than the rear springs for neutral handling anyway. 9/7 springs are only 28% stiffer in front, which would make for more oversteer. 9/6 is 50% stiffer in front, which is closer to where it theoretically should be for proper handling balance.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:58 AM

Also how do these coilovers compare to Eibach springs?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Also how do these coilovers compare to Eibach springs?
Apples to oranges here. Eibach springs are just springs, whereas these are complete spring/strut replacements with shocks that are matched to the springs. But, for practical purposes, let's say we're comparing these coilovers to Eibachs/Illuminas.

Think of a spectrum with a smooth ride on one side and maximum handling on the other side. Somewhere in the middle area is the perfect balance between ride smoothness and handling. Eibachs/Illuminas are on the comfort end of that zone, and the K-Sports are on the handling side. (btw... it's impossible to get the perfect balance, so don't ask. )

Now, the details:

1. Eibachs are progressive rate springs: soft in the middle and stiff on the top/bottom. This allows for some give for when you run over bumps and makes your car lean a bit in corners, but they'll only lean so far before taking a set and holding your car firmly in the turn. The K-Sport coilovers use linear-rate springs, which have the same stiffness at all points. Those give better handling response and turn-in but a stiffer ride.

2. The K-Sport coilovers use much, much higher spring rates. Again, better handling, stiffer ride.

3. The K-Sport coilovers are built to let you lower your car while keeping a lot of suspension travel. The Eibachs cut your front suspension travel in half unless you get shorter bumpstops, but even with those you will have significantly less travel.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Apples to oranges here. Eibach springs are just springs, whereas these are complete spring/strut replacements with shocks that are matched to the springs. But, for practical purposes, let's say we're comparing these coilovers to Eibachs/Illuminas.

Think of a spectrum with a smooth ride on one side and maximum handling on the other side. Somewhere in the middle area is the perfect balance between ride smoothness and handling. Eibachs/Illuminas are on the comfort end of that zone, and the K-Sports are on the handling side. (btw... it's impossible to get the perfect balance, so don't ask. )

Now, the details:

1. Eibachs are progressive rate springs: soft in the middle and stiff on the top/bottom. This allows for some give for when you run over bumps and makes your car lean a bit in corners, but they'll only lean so far before taking a set and holding your car firmly in the turn. The K-Sport coilovers use linear-rate springs, which have the same stiffness at all points. Those give better handling response and turn-in but a stiffer ride.

2. The K-Sport coilovers use much, much higher spring rates. Again, better handling, stiffer ride.

3. The K-Sport coilovers are built to let you lower your car while keeping a lot of suspension travel. The Eibachs cut your front suspension travel in half unless you get shorter bumpstops, but even with those you will have significantly less travel.
so this may be a silly question but how harsh is the ride then? i just put my car on 18s from stock wheels and can really feel the difference in ride comfort/quality. will ksports make the ride unbearable or just a little harsher, or make it softer?

-Brendan
Old 05-07-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ZeroCool19
so this may be a silly question but how harsh is the ride then? i just put my car on 18s from stock wheels and can really feel the difference in ride comfort/quality. will ksports make the ride unbearable or just a little harsher, or make it softer?

-Brendan
You won't be able to tell whether you like them until you ride in them, or ride in anything like them. Period. That said, the consensus thus far is that these coilovers ride a lot better than others. Even if you think they're harsh, you'll likely think the handling is worth it.

The biggest question is this: Are you looking for the best handling with a good amount of comfort, or are you just looking for a drop and some improvement in handling?

If you want handling, there really isn't anything better to buy than these coilovers. If you're really really worried about harshness, you can even order them with softer springs.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 AM

Ksports

You should post up a list of who's ordered these so far. I'd like to hear from everybody on how they like them. I'm really tempted to order, but just want to hear from others on their experiences. That I've seen so far in this GD, upstatemax and gameover03 already have them installed. And Mr Duck,Teedotmax, and Nathan have already sent payments and are awating their arrival. Anybody else??? Can everybody please post up their experiences and likes and dislikes when they install these. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who'd like to hear some more feedback from fellow orgers on these coilovers. Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2005, 01:58 AM

Anyone with an I30 has put this coilovers on their cars?
I'm really considering this set.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:52 AM

there are couple others who have their coilover shipped out. But since i don't know their user name so they would have to speak for themself.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:22 PM

Wow, everytime I read about Ksport coilovers, it is said that they are D2 coilovers that are repainted.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:47 PM

According to K-Sport, they use monotube shocks whereas D2 uses twin-tube shocks. They probably share some components because they're made at the same factory as D2s, but functionally they're very different. That's the official word...
Old 05-08-2005, 02:51 PM

I just hope that these dont have that noice problems that D2 have in their pillow joint.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:39 AM

The noise issue that Most D2 user had was not from the camber plates but the 2 allen screws of the lower mount. Ksport ues a lock nut instead of the allen screws to avoid noise and screw seize issue.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:37 AM

Been doing some research into the K-Sport-the-same-as-D2 controversy. My conclusion:

Who the hell cares. We will never know, and it doesn't matter.

No matter who makes them, the K-Sports are newer and are redesigned so they don't have the problems that the D2s had. If they're better, who cares if they're from the same company?

Maybe K-Sport bought rights to D2's design, improved it to fix problems, and remarketed it. That would make sense, since D2s have a rep in some car communities for noise, fitment, and leakage problems, and even going around saying "We fixed it! We fixed it!" isn't gonna make people come back to the brand. That would also explain why people on other message boards for other cars are saying that K-Sport and D2 are absolutely identical -- because their applications never had problems in the first place, so no re-branding would be necessary.

But either way... We will never know for sure, and it doesn't even matter anyway. What matters is the performance, and it seems that these coilovers are doing pretty darn well in that arena.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:04 PM

Been doing some research into the K-Sport-the-same-as-D2 controversy. My conclusion:

Who the hell cares. We will never know, and it doesn't matter.

No matter who makes them, the K-Sports are newer and are redesigned so they don't have the problems that the D2s had. If they're better, who cares if they're from the same company?

Maybe K-Sport bought rights to D2's design, improved it to fix problems, and remarketed it. That would make sense, since D2s have a rep in some car communities for noise, fitment, and leakage problems, and even going around saying "We fixed it! We fixed it!" isn't gonna make people come back to the brand. That would also explain why people on other message boards for other cars are saying that K-Sport and D2 are absolutely identical -- because their applications never had problems in the first place, so no re-branding would be necessary.

But either way... We will never know for sure, and it doesn't even matter anyway. What matters is the performance, and it seems that these coilovers are doing pretty darn well in that arena.
Do you work for Ksports??? LOL,JK! Nah, but it seems like you really support this product and have experience with them. Are you running their stuff, or have ridden in a car with them? I was just wondering how you were comparing their products with other suspension products. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I miss the .org!

According to K-Sport, they use monotube shocks whereas D2 uses twin-tube shocks. They probably share some components because they're made at the same factory as D2s, but functionally they're very different. That's the official word...

This is addressed to everyone...so what's better then...monotube or twin-tube? And why too
Old 05-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BRAN808
You should post up a list of who's ordered these so far. I'd like to hear from everybody on how they like them. I'm really tempted to order, but just want to hear from others on their experiences. That I've seen so far in this GD, upstatemax and gameover03 already have them installed. And Mr Duck,Teedotmax, and Nathan have already sent payments and are awating their arrival. Anybody else??? Can everybody please post up their experiences and likes and dislikes when they install these. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who'd like to hear some more feedback from fellow orgers on these coilovers. Thanks guys!
I just purchased a set of ksports from Jinsu about ten days ago and am expecting them today. I will try to post some pics after the install which i hope to do on thursday.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by kidmo0noo7@aol.
I just purchased a set of ksports from Jinsu about ten days ago and am expecting them today. I will try to post some pics after the install which i hope to do on thursday.
Can you take pics of how you install these? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:17 PM

whoever placed their order today, please email me with your year and model. Can't place order without the info you know!!!l
Old 05-09-2005, 08:27 PM

Do you work for Ksports??? LOL,JK! Nah, but it seems like you really support this product and have experience with them. Are you running their stuff, or have ridden in a car with them? I was just wondering how you were comparing their products with other suspension products. Thanks.
I am not affiliated with K-Sport in any way, nor have I ridden on their coilovers. Everything I say is based on my research and logical deductions, which I have been doing obsessively since I myself am trying to decide between these coilovers and Eibachs/Illuminas. I'm just sharing what I'm finding and giving my opinions. Take that as you will.

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
This is addressed to everyone...so what's better then...monotube or twin-tube? And why too
This is something that's debated endlessly, and there's no good answer. The only thing is that if you look at the really good shocks, like KYB AGX and Tokico Illumina, most are twin-tube but a few are monotube. If you look at the best shocks, like Bilsteins and the stuff they put in all the best sports cars, they're almost all monotube. Of course, that doesn't mean that monotube is always better than twin-tube, but that's the trend. Again, take it as you will.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:15 AM

How long would shipping take, if I place the order tomorrow?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:50 PM

shipping ususally takes 10-15days after paid in full.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:40 PM

yea like, guys in cali will get theirs before the guys in chicago, or new york because ksportusa is located in arizona, and wei usually does drop ship. i have 2 more days!! i hate it that Arizona is so damn far from me..haha
Old 05-10-2005, 03:25 PM

I am not affiliated with K-Sport in any way, nor have I ridden on their coilovers. Everything I say is based on my research and logical deductions, which I have been doing obsessively since I myself am trying to decide between these coilovers and Eibachs/Illuminas. I'm just sharing what I'm finding and giving my opinions. Take that as you will.

This is something that's debated endlessly, and there's no good answer. The only thing is that if you look at the really good shocks, like KYB AGX and Tokico Illumina, most are twin-tube but a few are monotube. If you look at the best shocks, like Bilsteins and the stuff they put in all the best sports cars, they're almost all monotube. Of course, that doesn't mean that monotube is always better than twin-tube, but that's the trend. Again, take it as you will.
So which way are you leaning right now? It seems like for the $$$, the Ksports are going to be hard to beat. On paper, they look to be pretty solid, but gotta see and hear reviews to make a better choice. I'm trying to decide if Teins are going to be worth the extra $400.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:39 PM

The only reason why we going this deal is to generate more end user reviews and kick off the 05 drift season. Ksport will move back to normal competition coilover price range after this. So i would recommend you get them while u can. I did myself lol!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:43 PM

So which way are you leaning right now? It seems like for the $$$, the Ksports are going to be hard to beat. On paper, they look to be pretty solid, but gotta see and hear reviews to make a better choice. I'm trying to decide if Teins are going to be worth the extra $400.
If I can liberate the funds in 20 days or less, then it'll be the K-Sports in a heartbeat, for exactly three reasons:

1. Better initial turn-in and fine control from the linear-rate springs
2. More things to play with to learn about suspension and car dynamics (damping, ride height, spring preload, and front camber)
3. Shock valving that is so good, it apparently somehow gives a nicer ride than other coilovers with much softer spring rates (Tein SS, Tein Basic, Ground Control)

The K-Sports for $740 shipped are really as good as it gets in terms of overall value for the money. In my opinion, Eibachs/Illuminas with KYB bumpstops and long-travel rear shock mounts for the same price (give or take like $3) would be an equal overall value, just with a much greater emphasis on comfort than on performance.

I couldn't decide whether I wanted the handling or the comfort more, but the K-Sports just offer so much more than almost any other suspension setup that, for this price, the choice was clear.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 PM

do we have anyone with these installed and giving feedback yet? or did i miss a few replies?

-Brendan

Quick Reply: Ksport 2005 Drift Season KickOff Special. $740 shipped!