Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

4th gen TURBO KIT

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 06:45 PM

4th gen TURBO KIT NEW PRICING

Base Kit - non-intercooled $3300
I/C Kit - with Spearco intercooler and piping $3790

What sets this kit apart from other boosting kits?
1. No belts required
2. No pullies required to vary boost (simple push of a button with boost controller or simple vacuum tee) [not included]
3. Awesome Torque and Power (for always on boost)
4. Completely customizable (any choice of turbo as optional upgrades or downgrades) depending on your application
5. Designed, built and backed by reputable Performance shop
6. Dyno proven
7. No relocation of fans
8. Keep your fogs
9. Have nice cold air going through your turbo
10. Now no cutting of front bumper section is required.
11. It is always ON! You will not run out of boost!
12. Easily upgradeable from Non-I/C to I/C at any time without removing already installed kit.
13. Not limited to one type of blower. Can easily swap turbos by changing 2 short sections of pipe and some couplers.

We are also working on some new additional upgrades that will be available in January at VERY competitive prices. Cannot elaborate here right now .... stay tuned! We are ALWAYS working on making a better kit!

We have reduced the price significantly to be more competitive but we have also had to economize where we could to make this happen (I will not lie about this). We still believe the overall quality to be superior to any out there.

There are still opportunities if you are on a budget but you will have to email me for those and I can give my comments about what I think.

What's included:
Here's what's in the kit:

1. Brand New T4/TO4E turbo (upgrades available)
2. Deltagate external wastegate
3. exhaust pipes (All pipes are included now where the y-pipe was not before - Mandrel and non-mandrel available)
4. Oil line
5. Oil dump.
6. exhaust flanges to and from turbo
7. fuel pressure regulator
8. Clamps, connectors etc.
9. Spearco intercooler (optional for non-I/C)

NOTE: Shipping is NOT included

It is possible run this kit up to 20lbs of pressure. You should not run this more than 9 psi on stock internals though.

What is NOT included (options):
1. high flow fuel pump (recommended but not essential) GSS342
2. larger fuel jets/rail (not required)
3. Tial wastegate upgrade $70 (not required)
4. Blow Off Valve (up to you)
5. Turbo timer (up to you)
6. Recommended upgrade is 3" exhaust or you choke at 5k rpm.
7. Battery cut off switch (for NHRA reasons)
8. Boost controller to adjust boost level
9. Cone filter $25
10. Battery relocation kit $73 (non-NHRA approved)

labor

If you want it fitted, let me know, we might be able to swing pretty sweet deals on the install.

Nigel

1. Automatic Maxima pricing is likely to be $100-$200 more across the board because the piping is more complex and there needs to be two rubber hoses that need to be replaced with Steel braided lines.

**Note prices subject to change without notice**
Old 03-06-2002, 07:03 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I thought kit 1 was gonna be around $2000-2400
Old 03-06-2002, 07:19 PM

Re: 4th gen TURBO KIT

Hey,

How much is it if I get the upgraded kit and your shop installs it. Is there any discounts for that?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2002, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Sorry dude! if you read my thread, they jacked the price up on me too! They'd done most of it before they told me ... no backing out for me unless I went non-intercooled. I am also ****ed! It's still a pretty good deal if we can swing 5 people or more. You are going to be hard pushed to find $2000-$2400 that's for sure! Turbomax and company were right, this is not cheap! It's not $5-6K that people had speculated on.

Nigel
Old 03-06-2002, 07:46 PM

It's not 5-6k but after install cost's and a few item's i see a 5k figure somewhere.Good job though
Old 03-06-2002, 07:49 PM

Any reason this won't fit a 5th gen? I was going to go SC in May but turbo is better!
Old 03-06-2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by nigelcmf

Sorry dude! if you read my thread, they jacked the price up on me too! They'd done most of it before they told me ... no backing out for me unless I went non-intercooled. I am also ****ed! It's still a pretty good deal if we can swing 5 people or more. You are going to be hard pushed to find $2000-$2400 that's for sure! Turbomax and company were right, this is not cheap! It's not $5-6K that people had speculated on.

Nigel
First, it's illegal for a mechanic to change the prices on you without your consent. Second, these prices really aren't that different than a Supercharger, except it moves the battery and seems to be more work to install. But I'm not going to "playa-hate" (to use a contemporary colloquialism) as this is a great alternative to $tealin' if you've got the money and are willing to put in the effort. Enjoy your Turbo. You'll certainly be kicking my N/A a$$...
Old 03-06-2002, 08:43 PM

any dyno numbers?
Old 03-06-2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
any dyno numbers?
i think he dynoed at 267fwhp@4psi
Old 03-06-2002, 09:14 PM

I knew that there would be many comments on the pricing. I have tried my best to lower the pricing for you guys already and am trying to think of various options to make things cheaper. You may be able to save quite a few dollars by using rebuilt Turbos that you supply yourself and used intercoolers and stuff. All this is brand new in the kit and all fits together very well. I will see if he is willing to do the pipes only. If you use your own stuff it may be cheaper but be prepared to deal with fitment issues. A lot is negotiable here. I have and will continue to get the best possible price for people who want it. I went through three weeks of "stuff" to get this kit up. I would like to see it put to use ... anyway, ... oh never mind ... try to do people a favour and get comments about price. I told my tuner to make a jig. I just want to make sure he recovers his costs and makes a little money on the deal.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:17 PM

I knew that there would be many comments on the pricing. I have tried my best to lower the pricing for you guys already and am trying to think of various options to make things cheaper. You may be able to save quite a few dollars by using rebuilt Turbos that you supply yourself and used intercoolers and stuff. All this is brand new in the kit and all fits together very well. I will see if he is willing to do the pipes only. If you use your own stuff it may be cheaper but be prepared to deal with fitment issues. A lot is negotiable here. I have and will continue to get the best possible price for people who want it. I went through three weeks of "stuff" to get this kit up. I would like to see it put to use ... anyway, ... oh never mind ... try to do people a favour and get comments about price. I told my tuner to make a jig. I just want to make sure he recovers his costs and makes a little money on the deal.

nigel....you going to the meet on the 16th right??? your going to have to give me a ride....i will talk to you about the kit then, but i gotta start saving
Old 03-06-2002, 09:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: 4th gen TURBO KIT

Originally posted by rOaD bEaSt
I'm intrested but i want that with more than that ..

But I don't want that power I need more ..

My NOS is still faster than that ..

Don't you sell a lowering compresion pistons and connecting rod for that ?

How about the fuel , It need safc , my car us 99 model then I can't use JW ECU ?

I need another injectors this is gonna cost a lot

I think this is stage one kit right , isn't there any stage two ?

Thanks
RoadBeast, I don't know much about this kit, but maybe I can answer your questions. If you want a lower compression piston you will need to have something custom made. A JW ECU will not work correctly with the turbo kit, just like it doesn't with the Stillen supercharger kit. If you do need bigger injectors you could probably get the 300zx injectors. This kit does seem like a stage 1 kit.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4th gen TURBO KIT

Originally posted by rOaD bEaSt
Okay if I get a bigger injectors who is gonna control that for more fuel ?

We need a fuel managment , which system can be used with our cars ?
As you mentioned before, you could use the Apexi SAFC. I know of a couple people that use it, like Y2KevSE has it in his supercharged 5th gen.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:52 PM

Roadbeast -

This is what one might consider to be stage 1 kit. I hear you ... you want more power... I am only running 4 psi of boost on this right now and I am getting these numbers 267 HP and 271 ft-lbs of torque. Sure it is not a 100 shot of NOS right now. I need to add a 3" exhaust to make it flow. I expect around 275 to 280 HP at 4 psi then and after that I can raise the boost to 7 or 8 psi. I intend to buy a boost controller so I can run race mode OR normal. At 4 psi I get these numbers, what do you think I'll make at 8 psi?

If you want to run even higher boost, you will need engine fortification.

Arias pistons are available at about $100 per piston.
Connecting rods are also available ... don't know cost.
O-ring your block to prevent headgaskets from blowing ... depends on the machine shop near you for cost.

For me, because I have not blown my engine ... it still runs great, I will be spending money on exhaust first then boost controller after that. That will be a good $1000 right there. After that I'll probably need a clutch ... another $400 or so. So you can see, there's plenty else that you need to spend money on other than strengthening engine parts.

I don't think I'll be offering the stage 2 or 3 so soon, there's plenty of power with just stage 1.

As far as ECUs are concerned, I will be running stock for a while and trying to avoid lean conditions as much as possible by Walbro, FPR, good gas, cold plugs and low boost. As you run higher boost, timing retard, fuel injector timing etc become more important. I may end up there eventually, first I got to save $$$. I have heard that the AFCs are not very good for use with our ECU unless they are active only during WOT or above 5K rpm (I think) otherwise the ECU will compensate for AFC from closed loop feedback from O2 sensors. At WOT, it is open loop and cannot compensate.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

are you gonna drag it soon?1/4mile?
Old 03-06-2002, 11:36 PM

high

go with jb pistons they work good
Old 03-07-2002, 01:12 AM

Stillen SC?

Whats the differnce between this kit and a Stillen SC?

List price is $3950, but I'm sure I could get it for a lot lot cheaper if I give them a call.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:00 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Old 03-07-2002, 05:42 AM

u need to test it on dyno to see the gain when u installed it i mite sell my S/C to get turbo but i see no testing on it and no dyno and u need to drive the car for a couple months to see if it's ok to start selling to us i dont want to buy something if it's going to fuc* up after 2 months.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:44 AM

Re: Stillen SC?

Originally posted by Finality
Whats the differnce between this kit and a Stillen SC?

List price is $3950, but I'm sure I could get it for a lot lot cheaper if I give them a call.
What's the difference? Well the Stillen kit has been tried by many people. I think at one time it was less than $3000 (I could be wrong) Because more and more people tried it the price went up (is what I am guessing) List is now at around $3900. You may be able to get it for as low as $3600?

1. This kit is not fully tested yet, but does offer a lot more flexibility and control over how much boost is delivered. There are many types of turbo that can be bolted on here. T3/T4, TO4e, .... with the S/C you use either V1 or V2 ... that's it! You must change pulley sizes to vary boost ... I think you can still use a boost controller though but you need the appropriate pullies.

2. From what I have read S/C get 230 HP at the wheels at 6.5 psi (please correct me if I am wrong). I have 267 HP at the wheels at 4 psi and that's with an inappropriate exhaust choking it. So you can see the turbo is quite a bit more efficient. There are people spending $500 for a 25 HP gain on the variable intakes, $200 for 10 to 12 HP on Y pipe, $500 for about 10HP on exhaust ... I think you get the point!

3. You may (I am fairly sure this will be a go ... need to check) be able to build a cheaper system if you provide your own wastegate and turbo. It's about $700 for turbo, I think wastegate was $200. With that and the group deal, you may well see under $2500 for complete system, so Craig hope is not lost!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by maximadan96
u need to test it on dyno to see the gain when u installed it i mite sell my S/C to get turbo but i see no testing on it and no dyno and u need to drive the car for a couple months to see if it's ok to start selling to us i dont want to buy something if it's going to fuc* up after 2 months.
Look a couple posts up, he said he's making 267 HP and 271 ft-lbs of torque at only 4psi.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:28 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Do you have pics of the setup? I might be interested in converting this to fit a 5th gen. Thanks.

If it doesn't work, I can always slap it onto Jane's car.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm interested keep us posted on the number of people that will buy this and how much the final price is?
Old 03-07-2002, 07:14 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

3. exhaust pipes (Customize existing Y pipe 2.5" and provide piping to and from Turbo, regular steel - upgrades available)

Question... how does this work? Are you saying we have to bring our existing y pipe to a shop and have then cut off a piece of the stock y pipe then weld the new piping on?
Old 03-07-2002, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
3. exhaust pipes (Customize existing Y pipe 2.5" and provide piping to and from Turbo, regular steel - upgrades available)

Question... how does this work? Are you saying we have to bring our existing y pipe to a shop and have then cut off a piece of the stock y pipe then weld the new piping on?
Dude, right now the kit is only for 4th gens. I have not looked closely at the differences between 4th and 5th. I think unless you live in Fort Collins or can find someone with a 5th gen willing to do this, it's probably not going to happen ... sorry!

As for how the y pipe works, if you want to save some $$$ you can use your existing y pipe (no precats please) otherwise they can provide one for additional $200.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:51 AM

sorry to S/C guys

My earlier comments about differences between S/C and turbo may have seemed slightly biased. Just for the record, supercharged maxes are very reliable and proven to provide good gains. The turbo kit does have a little way to go before people are convinced of its reliability and that's fine. If you can't wait and don't want to take the "risk" go with the S/C. it too is not without its risks though as Lynn (matthel's) friend found out on the Dyno. With boost, you always run the risk of blowing up your engine. With the turbo, if it is plumbed correctly for oil drainage, you should not see any more problems than a supercharger would. Do a bit of reading up on how superchargers and turbochargers work. you'll find that if you plumb the oil lines correctly and wastegate and boost/vacuum lines are secure and set correctly you should be fairly safe.

As far as pricing goes, I think I have thought of some suggestions to make it cheaper ... but no promises right now!
Old 03-07-2002, 07:54 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Dude, right now the kit is only for 4th gens. I have not looked closely at the differences between 4th and 5th. I think unless you live in Fort Collins or can find someone with a 5th gen willing to do this, it's probably not going to happen ... sorry!

As for how the y pipe works, if you want to save some $$$ you can use your existing y pipe (no precats please) otherwise they can provide one for additional $200.
I like I said in one of my posts, "Do you have pics of the setup? I might be interested in converting this to fit a 5th gen. Thanks. If it doesn't work, I can always slap it onto Jane's car" so don't worry about it fitting on a 5th gen or not. That's my job.

How does the exhaust piping work if you're using the existing y pipe? The exhaust gas will need to go to the turbo some how, right?
Old 03-07-2002, 11:16 AM

It probably will not work with a 5th Gen. Most newer cars do not use a fuel return line to the tank as it heats up the fuel. Without the fuel return line, you cannot use a rising rate FPR to force more fuel through the injectors as a function of manifold vacuum and boost. Of course, Stillen does it with the SC and if you could figure out how they are controlling fueling for the Vortech SC, then you could probably rig a similar system.

-V
Old 03-07-2002, 01:28 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by vmok

It probably will not work with a 5th Gen. Most newer cars do not use a fuel return line to the tank as it heats up the fuel. Without the fuel return line, you cannot use a rising rate FPR to force more fuel through the injectors as a function of manifold vacuum and boost. Of course, Stillen does it with the SC and if you could figure out how they are controlling fueling for the Vortech SC, then you could probably rig a similar system.

-V
Psssssttttt....... I have a 5th gen SC.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:20 PM

Today, I put on the bumper and lights to make it street legal. Damn! It is sweet! You start noticing the power by 3500 (even though it is at full boost at 3000). By 5500, you are pinned to the seat. In first and second, the wheels break loose! I am usually too fast to chirp the wheels by third ... but then again I haven't tried yet! . When I put the high flow exhaust on it, we will get 7 psi boost and over 300 HP easily!

There were a couple of leaks that were remedied very quickly. This car is a real sleeper man! It looks totally stock, except the clears. We went to a new performance shop today. The DSM guys there were like ! One of them tried to race me in some Mitsubishi ... can't remember which one it was.... running 20 psi of boost. We creamed it and we were only at 3500-4000 rpm! Now I know how the S/C guys feel about theirs! Boost is awesome! I have never owned a car that can really pin you to the seat!

At cruise, all you can hear is the the CAI and it's not that loud really. When you get on it PSSSSSSSSSSSHTT! at every gear change! It's not REAL loud cos I'm only running 4 psi, but wait till the boost goes up! I have pics now. I didn't yesterday. I will mail them to individuals. I still haven't had a chance to set up my scanner yet to scan in the results ... I keep dreaming of my Maxima! Heheh! The boost comes on very smooth then at around 5500 you feel like it's on nitrous! heehe! SWEEEET! I wanted to share this with you before I read the other posts that you have made.

Nigel
Old 03-07-2002, 07:51 PM

Today, I put on the bumper and lights to make it street legal. Damn! It is sweet! You start noticing the power by 3500 (even though it is at full boost at 3000). By 5500, you are pinned to the seat. In first and second, the wheels break loose! I am usually too fast to chirp the wheels by third ... but then again I haven't tried yet! . When I put the high flow exhaust on it, we will get 7 psi boost and over 300 HP easily!

There were a couple of leaks that were remedied very quickly. This car is a real sleeper man! It looks totally stock, except the clears. We went to a new performance shop today. The DSM guys there were like ! One of them tried to race me in some Mitsubishi ... can't remember which one it was.... running 20 psi of boost. We creamed it and we were only at 3500-4000 rpm! Now I know how the S/C guys feel about theirs! Boost is awesome! I have never owned a car that can really pin you to the seat!

At cruise, all you can hear is the the CAI and it's not that loud really. When you get on it PSSSSSSSSSSSHTT! at every gear change! It's not REAL loud cos I'm only running 4 psi, but wait till the boost goes up! I have pics now. I didn't yesterday. I will mail them to individuals. I still haven't had a chance to set up my scanner yet to scan in the results ... I keep dreaming of my Maxima! Heheh! The boost comes on very smooth then at around 5500 you feel like it's on nitrous! heehe! SWEEEET! I wanted to share this with you before I read the other posts that you have made.

Nigel
A million and one people have asked you to post Dyno charts. Please do this.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Thanks for not answering my question...

How does the exhaust piping work if you're using the existing y pipe? The exhaust gas will need to go to the turbo some how, right?
Old 03-07-2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Thanks for not answering my question...

geeze! you guys are so impatient. I just got my car dynoed yesterday for crying out loud! As for the Ypipe stuff, I don't think there is any reason to be sarcastic! I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about how it works in terms of the deal ... this forum is about the group deal ... apologize for this but sarcasm doesn't help!

So here's your answer:

You can send your Y pipe to us. The y pipe would be joined to a pipe that does up to the engine bay and turbo. The flex section and part of the original pipe would be used on the down pipe from the turbo and would join to your exhaust. It is easier to see than describe. I already said yesterday that I did not have pics. Today I DO have pics and will mail them to individuals shortly.

As for Dyno results, I cannot get my scanner to work so I have tried to use a digital camera ... I think it kind of sucks but seeing that you are so fricking impatient, that will have to do! I will get those up within the next two hours ... is that acceptable? The attitude of some people on the org leaves much to be desired. QUite frankly, I am getting quite p@ssed off! If you can't ask nicely, don't ask at all. What the f*ck am I gaining?
Old 03-07-2002, 09:48 PM

I'm interested but I'd like to see somes pics.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:06 PM

More pics are now available on 4th gen forum. I will post pics there. This is for group deal only!

The finished result is now there. I will post more and more
Old 03-07-2002, 11:02 PM

OK sorry for all the confusion. I have decided to move everything here because the title for that thread was inappropriate. I have changed to a computer where I can do some image editing for sizing the pictures everyone has been asking for. It will take me a half hour or so but I will have complete pics and dyno results.

For those who are interested ... coming from the other thread. My wife is now more stable but still in hospital. I have been visiting her almost every day, hence the slow response and lack of pics of the car. Sorry!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:31 PM

OK first the car in reverse order. Let me see if this works. I can edit it if not sized correctly:

buttoned up (looks stock except the I/C - may paint it black):

open hood:

Bumper off:
Old 03-07-2002, 11:44 PM

IC piping:

OK the Dynos are below:

I will try to explain what is there. Red lines are pre turbo with CAI and Y pipe numbers are 176 HP and 190.4 Ft-lbs or torque.

Blue lines are with 4lbs of boost with choking exhaust (stock). They read 267.6 HP and 271.6 ft-lbs.

Now, they didn't run the dyno below 3000 rpm which is weird for the post turbo. After driving it, it does lose some low end but not a lot ... similar to y pipe low end loss.

Yo_it's_OK made a comment about how he doubted it reached full boost by 3000 rpm. It's hard to read a gauge, I am inclined to agree that we are probably not at full boost at 3000 rpm but there is boost since the numbers are already higher at 3K rpm We are close to full though...we used two different gauges to do the pulls after boost cos we didn't believe the results, you can see that we did SIX dyno runs! There is about 15 to 20 HP gain already (just eyeballing the graph) at 3000 rpm. You can see what I mean about my ride at 5000-5500 rpm from the graph. At 3000 rpm there is a 15% increase in power. which is not bad.

Old 03-07-2002, 11:45 PM

Road Beast - you say its 20 hp per PSI but this is incorrect. As PSI goes up the returns diminish. at 9 PSI you might get 150 hp or you might get 180 hp. Its hard to say. But rest assured, as PSI goes up the return per additional PSI goes down.

Nigel - Take it easy, just try to answer their questions and if you need time to answer them just let them know that not only do you work full time but your wife is in the hospital and you just got the car 2 days ago....eventually they'll realize that some of the questions they have just cant be answered yet.

Kirk

P.S. Can I go for a ride on the 16th? Please? I'll give gas $
Old 03-08-2002, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

Kirk

P.S. Can I go for a ride on the 16th? Please? I'll give gas $ [/B]
Dude, a lot of people want a ride! Sure why not? Gas money? ... this thing runs on boooooooost! Heheh

PS: PICS AND DYNOS ARE ON PAGE 3:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=3

DAMN, I am tired ... going to sleep now! I hope everyone is happy now that the info is up. I get my car back tomorrow ... after I pay. I may not post tomorrow ... need to go down Denver again!

Quick Reply: 4th gen TURBO KIT