Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

GD: Custom OEM HID retro

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 09:56 AM

GD: Custom OEM HID retro

This group buy will be the installation of OEM HID projectors into a non OEM HID headlamp. The retrofit can be done on almost any car with the right projector combination. Here's a breakdown of the cost.

$450 - Parts ( two projectors, two bulbs, two ballast)
$25 - Color Shift Upgrade
$150 - Labor
$30 - Wiring Harness
$655 - Total
$(35) - Package Discount
$620 - Grand Total

Typically the projectors I offer will be from either a Audi S4, Audi A6, Audi TT, or BMW E46 (3 series). Which projector that is used will be up to the buyer unless it’s physically impossible to mount. Occasionally I will get a more exotic projector such as from a Porsche turbo or a S2000. These exotic projectors will typically range from $450 - $600. Please inquire for exact cost..

In order to do this retro, I will need your headlamps, OEM or aftermarket doesn’t matter. Shipping will also be provided both ways by the buyer. If you live with the LA area, you're more than welcomed to drop your headlamps off.

In case anyone is wondering about color, the color is multi-color. The cool thing about projectors is that they shift colors at certain angles. At one angle the color is white, at another angle it is blue, at another angle it is purple. It will be the same as the projectors that are used. The color shift upgrade involves me modifying parts of the projector to get more color and flicker out of the projectors. What you end up with is a really solid band of purple/blue right in front of you as you’ll see in example (5) (down below). The color and flicker become more aggressive with the color shift upgrade.

I retain all stock sealant and all weatherproofing is retained. I don’t use anything but the adhesive that was used to seal the headlights from the factory. After I’m done, you can hardly tell that I’ve even opened up the headlamp, except for the addition of the projector.

The ability to adjust the projectors for precise aiming is still done the way that you would have with a stock housing. Just use the screw adjustors that correct the horizontal and vertical settings.

Turnaround time is around 2-4 days depending on when I get it. If I received the headlamps on a Friday, I can ship it back to you on Monday. If the parts are received any other day, typical turnaround time will be 4 days.

I've installed several of these systems already and my work can be see here:

1) 6th gen Accord with Audi TT
2) 5th gen Accord with Audi S4
3) 5th gen Accord with Audi A6
4) 6th gen Civic with Audi A6
5) 6th gen Accord with BMW E46 (3 series)*

(1) is “loxllxol” car whom is a regular on the Accord V6 Performance forum.
(3) is "Buiyahkah" car whom is a regular on the Honda Society and Super Honda Online forums.
(4) is “VTEC_DeSTiNY” car whom is a regular on the Super Honda Online forum.

I will need 5 guys to get this group buy going.

For the most part I've done Hondas, but doing the retro on a maxima uses the same concept.

Any questions or if you're interested in the retro should be directed to my email at see_fu@hotmail.com or AIM me at "See fuu". If I don’t respond to your request I’m probably away from the computer.

*projector housing will cost more than a reflector housing.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:11 AM

sounds interesting! few questions... this includes high beams? what if you don't want color shift? is that necessary? and have you ever done a maxima b/f? or are you just pretty sure you can do them too... if you have done a max b/f do you have pics of it installed? we all love pics of anything on our cars so that would be very helpful!

much respect,
mike
Old 06-09-2002, 10:21 AM

the color shift is optional, but it results in a really kewl looking flicker. Just about all the Honda owners that have seen this new GB are ****ed off at me that I didn't offer the color shift deal. As for the high beam, I forgot that the maximas use H4 or something similiar. Unfortuantely you do loose the high beam, but what you get a OEM quality HID's. This is going to be my first time doing it on any Nissan, but when I look at my cousisn 97 maxima it looks like it's the same concept. Since this is my first time, the first person that's willing to let me do the work we obviously recieve a fairly large discount as they are a guneia pig. What I will do is, if I totally mess up the headlamp I'll replace them for you.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:27 AM

if you wanna come to massachusetts i'll let you try it on mine
Old 06-09-2002, 02:50 PM

I have a 5th gen maxima do you think you'll be able to put projectors on those headlamps...oh by the way i live in Orange County and i am willing to be a guinea pig the headlamps are the new 2002 lights ...let me know thanks
angel
Old 06-10-2002, 12:28 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Interesting, but I'd have to see how others turn out...

How about a Q45 HID retrofit to my 2K2 HID headlamps? How pricey?

It's been done on GS400(Aristo) headlamps:
http://www7.plala.or.jp/soaristo/pag...ma_hid000a.gif
http://www7.plala.or.jp/soaristo/

I'm still trying to find some "cheap" Q45 donor headlamps.

How much for converting the H3 foglamps?
Old 06-10-2002, 03:38 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Interesting, but I'd have to see how others turn out...

Originally posted by IceY2K1
Wow Ice, that would look incredible!

Johnny, I just e-mailed you to say I'll be the tester for the
4th Gen. I can get you the lenses this week if you'll be ready to
go by then.

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2002, 07:39 AM

Re: Interesting, but I'd have to see how others turn out...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

It's been done on GS400(Aristo) headlamps:
http://www7.plala.or.jp/soaristo/pag...ma_hid000a.gif
http://www7.plala.or.jp/soaristo/

I'm still trying to find some "cheap" Q45 donor headlamps.

How much for converting the H3 foglamps?
yea i've seen that one before. a q45 would cost a lot though. I've spent over 6 months looking for a q45 housing and never come across oen yet.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:42 AM

I've been recieving a lot of email about who wants to be the "pig". Here's how I've decided who will be the "pig". Whomever sends me the money first will be the "pig".
Old 06-15-2002, 09:16 AM

just finished doing the retro a few days back. heres some pictures of what it looks like

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4291731151

As for the price, i've decided to drop it down to $600 total for everything. If anyone is still interested email me at see_fu@hotmail.com
Old 06-15-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by see_fu
just finished doing the retro a few days back. heres some pictures of what it looks like

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4291731151

As for the price, i've decided to drop it down to $600 total for everything. If anyone is still interested email me at see_fu@hotmail.com
Intresting, which projector from what car did u use, audi, bmw???? Also, that isn't with HIDs i see.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by NYBlakMaxx

Intresting, which projector from what car did u use, audi, bmw???? Also, that isn't with HIDs i see.
those are off a bmw e46 (3 series) they are hids