Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

J&S Electronics Ultra SafeGuard Group Deal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 11:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

J&S Electronics Ultra SafeGuard Group Deal

The group buy for the J&S Electronics Ultra SafeGuard for the distributorless ignition system equipped Maxima is ready to go. We need ten buyers to get a ten percent discount. The normal price for the Ultra SafeGuard is $525.00, the group deal pricing will be $472.50 with free shipping! If less than ten orders are received I may be able to get J&S to prorate the discount to still offer us favorable pricing. The ten percent discount will also apply to the Dual Monitor Knock and Air/Fuel gauge from J&S.

The group buy will close on July 24th. I will handle the transaction for J&S so all orders for the group deal need to be placed through me. Payment must be received by me no later than July 24th. I can accept money orders only at this time, as I do not have a paypal account. If you would like to arrange another method of payment please contact me directly. J&S will ship units within one week of receiving payment from me, which should be August 1st.

J&S will furnish GM Weatherpack connectors, wire, brass “T” fitting for vacuum/boost line tap and other miscellaneous connectors for instillation. Units will be calibrated to work with stock knock sensor. All units will be identical, six cylinder, three channel, Nissan "smart coil" driver. Boost retard start point infinitely adjustable from 0 to 10 PSI. Boost retard rate will infinitely adjustable from 0 to 2 degrees per pound of boost. Nitrous retard enabled by Aux wire, 0, 2°, 4°, or 6° selectable by switches 3 and 4.

Feel free to post any questions here, and I will try to answer them. I will also invite John from J&S Electronics to join in to help with some of the more technical questions.

For Pictures and Docs Click Here

Some threads with info on the J&S
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=122775
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=128543

Payments Recieved...
Y2KevSE (2 Ultra SafeGuards and 2 Monitors)
turbo97SE (1 Ultra SafeGuard 1 Monitor)
Chunger (1 Ultra SafeGuard 1 Monitor)
Beau B. (1 Ultra Safeguard) (whats your nick name?)
coolkids1979 (1 Ultra SafeGuard 1 Monitor)
joaquink (1 Ultra SafeGuard 1 Monitor)
bosco500 (1 Ultra SafeGuard 1 Monitor)
Delio (1 Ultra SafeGuard 1 Monitor)

Backed out...
Supia (1 Ultra SafeGuard 1 Monitor)
Old 06-22-2002, 11:11 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

How much is the GD price on the gauge thingy?

BTW, very detailed diagram. Installation time might be 1-1.5 hours.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
For 10 units $179.10
Old 06-22-2002, 11:15 AM
//M5'ver

BTW, very detailed diagram. Installation time might be 1-1.5 hours.
typical rice boy question

Old 06-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

For 10 units $179.10
Thanks.

If the GD will close by the 24th, then how will we know how much to send you if 10 orders are not meet? I'm a trouble making aren't I?

Originally posted by Turbo97GXE
typical rice boy question :-D
Old 06-22-2002, 11:21 AM

If the GD will close by the 24th, then how will we know how much to send you if 10 orders are not meet? I'm a trouble making aren't I?
Naaaa Kev thats a good point! Lets say on the 24th all persons in on the group buy will be informed of the discount if the ten orders are not placed. I get your point, I'm sure J&S will be some what flexable on the timing etc.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Banned

Where would you hook up the Nitrous Aux line at? Also with this how much more Nitrous could you run than with it. I know that our injectors can't handle too much pressure so pretty much anything over a 100 shot on a dry kit is out of the question, right? To get around this could you just run a super duper high bottle pressure, like 1500 psi? Thanks and good price too.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:52 AM

I am very interested in this! I need to decide between this and the aquamist now! Damn!

By the way, good job Matt! Thanks for this!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:56 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by turbo97SE
I am very interested in this! I need to decide between this and the aquamist now! Damn!

By the way, good job Matt! Thanks for this!
Get the retard box instead.

Matt, please put two orders on your list (2 SafeGuards and 2 gauges).
Old 06-22-2002, 01:06 PM

I will most likly get one as well...but I cannot say for sure at this moment. im 80% sure I will get one, permitting I have the cash before time runs out. :-/

..and yes, please elaborate on the nitrous applications and J&S Electronics Safeguard. What concerns does this box address with respect to the use of N20 in a VQ engine?
Old 06-22-2002, 01:09 PM

Get the retard box instead.

Matt, please put two orders on your list (2 SafeGuards and 2 gauges).
OK OK! Retard box it is! and one gauge too! How big is the gauge?
Old 06-22-2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by matt calder
Where would you hook up the Nitrous Aux line at? Also with this how much more Nitrous could you run than with it. I know that our injectors can't handle too much pressure so pretty much anything over a 100 shot on a dry kit is out of the question, right? To get around this could you just run a super duper high bottle pressure, like 1500 psi? Thanks and good price too.
The AUX wire needs ground to be de-activated, hence the need for a 0 degree setting. The way you would hook it up is to tap the AUX wire to the ground line for the main nitrous solinoid. So when the nitrous is not running the circut is groundedWhen you energize the nitrous coil the AUX wire can no longer get to ground. It confused me at first but it works. Maybe John will elaborate on this...

For timing control the J&S would be able to handle it. It does come down to fuel pressure and stock fuel injector flow. I'd imagine that if you could fuel it, a 150hp progressive shot is doable. You may need a to use somthing like the Fields Fuel Controller to get the injectors to be open more so the higher fuel pressure can flow more fuel. The best way to do 100hp and over would be a direct port system. Contact me via e-mail if you want me to elaborate.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:41 PM

How big is the gauge?
Standard 2-1/6" size. I got a single pod and mounted it above my dual pod.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:01 PM

Standard 2-1/6" size. I got a single pod and mounted it above my dual pod.
hey Matt

just wondering if you have a recommendation for how much retard we should set it to and starting at what psi. Should we just experiment? It may be dependent on where we start to detonate which can depend on a number of things.

I'll probably set mine at 1 degree of retard starting at 10 psi? Wonder how much boost I can run then. I am at 12 psi and the EGT is HHHHOOOTT when it is >100F out.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:37 PM

hey Matt

just wondering if you have a recommendation for how much retard we should set it to and starting at what psi. Should we just experiment? It may be dependent on where we start to detonate which can depend on a number of things.

I'll probably set mine at 1 degree of retard starting at 10 psi? Wonder how much boost I can run then. I am at 12 psi and the EGT is HHHHOOOTT when it is >100F out.
Its a matter of tuning it, each car will be different. You just set the sensativity of the knock sensor circut so it dosent pick up any mechanical noise at cruise or while shifting, do this at low boost. The unit would pick when I shifted, so I just tuned it properly. Then boost up and watch for knock. As you get knock try and retard it a little bit at a time till its gone. Do this with the unit set in retard all mode, after you get it tuned switchover to individual cylinder retard and your good to go.

One by product of ignition timing retard is increased EGT's, while testing the unit using a full 20 degrees of retard I hit 880c a few times. This is not the same as hitting 880c with out retard its purely a function of the timing retard. It does put more heat on the exhaust valves and should not be done for extended preiods of time, but for 1/4 mile runs or other sprints it is fine.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:12 PM

nitrous retard

Connect the "Aux" wire to the plus side of the nitrous solenoid. The other side of the nitrous solenoid goes to ground.

The plus side of the solenoid should also be connected to the nitrous relay.

With this arrangement, the "Aux" pin will be at zero volts until the nitrous is turned on. At turn on, the "Aux" pin will see 12 volts, and the software will retard by the selected amount.

If the "Aux' pin is left open, an internal pullup resistor turns on the retard. In this case, set the switches for zero degrees nitrous retard.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:51 PM

One by product of ignition timing retard is increased EGT's, while testing the unit using a full 20 degrees of retard I hit 880c a few times. This is not the same as hitting 880c with out retard its purely a function of the timing retard. It does put more heat on the exhaust valves and should not be done for extended preiods of time, but for 1/4 mile runs or other sprints it is fine.
Hmm I wonder if this is because the ignition of A/F mixture timing occurs closer to when the exhaust valves open?
Old 06-22-2002, 06:53 PM

Hmm I wonder if this is because the ignition of A/F mixture timing occurs closer to when the exhaust valves open?
By George I think he's got it! Yes that is the reason.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:53 PM

Turbo engine management

I am getting converting to a turbo maxima in about a week. Will this be all that I need to manage my engine?? It would replace the S-AFC, right?? It would retard the timing and controll the A/F ratio?? I guess I want to know what item(if any) it would replace, that turbo/boosted maximas are currently using.
sorry if I asked any redundant questions...just want to make sure I'm correct. Thanks
Old 06-27-2002, 06:04 PM

Re: Turbo engine management

Originally posted by 97maximase5spd
I am getting converting to a turbo maxima in about a week. Will this be all that I need to manage my engine?? It would replace the S-AFC, right?? It would retard the timing and controll the A/F ratio?? I guess I want to know what item(if any) it would replace, that turbo/boosted maximas are currently using.
sorry if I asked any redundant questions...just want to make sure I'm correct. Thanks
No this retards engine timing based on two things, boost and knock. If I understand correctly, it retards the timing by a preset amount (set by user) for every pound of boost you have starting at a set boost level. If it senses knock, it will retard the timing even more until the knock goes away or 20 degrees (I think). If you want to still control A/F ratio, your best bet is the Apexi Super AFC or Fields Fuel controller.

I am looking at a unit that does both, but the sales rep isn't exactly the most responsive. I will probably get this (J&S) and the Super AFC cos more people have tried it out.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:44 PM

Re: Re: Turbo engine management

No this retards engine timing based on two things, boost and knock. If I understand correctly, it retards the timing by a preset amount (set by user) for every pound of boost you have starting at a set boost level. If it senses knock, it will retard the timing even more until the knock goes away or 20 degrees (I think).
Ding Ding Ding!!! You are correct!!!

And dont forget the nitrous retard of 2,4 or 6 degrees!

So who else out thier needs some protection?
Old 07-03-2002, 12:45 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: J&S Electronics Ultra SafeGuard Group Deal

Check your e-mai, I'm down for 1.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:59 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Re: J&S Electronics Ultra SafeGuard Group Deal

Originally posted by joaquink
Check your e-mai, I'm down for 1.
And a monitor
Old 07-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Banned

i'll take one and a guage also. i like what i'm seeing
Old 07-07-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Supai91
Does that work for the middle east ECU and where can I find my knock sensor?
If this does work then I'm intrested.
Can anyone help me with that?
Thanks
Yes it should work on the middle east ECU because the coil packs are the same. The knock sensor is probably the same also. The knock sensor is located under the intake manifold. Its a small black round thing that has a bolt going through the center of it and wire harness connected to it. Take a light and shine it under the lower intake manifold looking from the drivers side, you will see it their. But you will tap into the wire for the knock sensor at the ECU.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Supai91
How much does it cost for total?
Please read my first post. Their will be additional shipping charges for you also.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:18 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Don't let this pass by

Come on guys - there are certainly two more of us interested in
being able to optimize performance AND protect our engines at the
same time.

tick-tock...tick-tock...tick-tock...
Old 07-12-2002, 11:54 AM

Box is $472.50
Gauge is $179.10

I am getting the shipping cost to Baharain and will let you know shortly. Maybe I can send it DHL?
Old 07-12-2002, 01:28 PM

shipping charges

From the UPS website:

Origin: GARDEN GROVE, 92843 US
Destination: BH
Drop-off/Pickup: Daily Pickup Service
Address Type: Residential
Packaging: Your Packaging
Currency: USD
Total Shipment Weight: 4 lbs.
SERVICE TYPE RATES
UPS Worldwide ExpressSM
Total Rate (USD) 72.29*

Duties and customs fees to be paid by recipient.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:39 AM
SMX

I’m very interested but just incase I don’t make the group deal in time what is the normal price?
Old 07-17-2002, 05:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SMX
I?m very interested but just incase I don?t make the group deal in time what is the normal price?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=1

Old 07-17-2002, 07:03 AM
SMX

Thanks you Sir
Old 07-23-2002, 11:45 AM

One more day left in the deal.

Their has to be one more person who could use this?

Those who are still in I will contact you tomorrow with some details.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:40 AM

Deal is closing

I have sent all of you an e-mail, if you dont recieve it please e-mail me and I will resend, matchou@***.net

I would expect to have all payments in my hands no later than Thursday August 1, 2002 please. I will then send a batch payment to J&S. Once he recieves the batch payment he will begin to customize the units for us. Then he will ship them directly to you. As you can see this may take a few weeks to ship, so please be patient.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:54 AM

Update

I have recieved all payments. They should clear my bank account in a few days. I will then send the bulk payment to J&S, probably Monday 8/12/02. He should begin shipping the units a week after he recieves the bulk payment. This is a conservative guestimate, but I wouldnt expect you will see your packages until the week of 8/26/02, may be a little sooner, but not much.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:10 AM

MardiGrasMax,

I know im going to sound like a moron on this thread but I dont care. I am getting a s/c in about 2-3weeks. Im still trying to understand why I need and what it does and why I cant get by with just a Apexi AFC and what not. If I were to run like a 3.125 or a 3" pulley on possibly a intercooler or just straight up, what advantage does this have?

Is there a site that explain this out to morons like? I dont want to take up all your time on explain this out like im a 10yr old. I still having trouble tring to figure out the whole Apexi AFC thing as well.

This is what scares me in getting the S/C and not knowing what I might be doing and end up smoking up something.

Dixit
Old 08-08-2002, 05:17 AM

www.jandssafeguard.com

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
MardiGrasMax,

I know im going to sound like a moron on this thread but I dont care. I am getting a s/c in about 2-3weeks. Im still trying to understand why I need and what it does and why I cant get by with just a Apexi AFC and what not. If I were to run like a 3.125 or a 3" pulley on possibly a intercooler or just straight up, what advantage does this have?

Is there a site that explain this out to morons like? I dont want to take up all your time on explain this out like im a 10yr old. I still having trouble tring to figure out the whole Apexi AFC thing as well.

This is what scares me in getting the S/C and not knowing what I might be doing and end up smoking up something.

Dixit
Old 08-26-2002, 12:34 PM

Guys, I am moving from New Orleans to DC over the next two weeks. I will not be on the board as often as I usually am. I wont be able to check my e-mail often either. I am using a temp hotmail account also, matchoup@hotmail.com If you get your J&S box and need to get intouch with me try and contact Delio, he has my cel info.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:27 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

HE IS RUNNING OFF WITH OUR MONEY!!!

Old 08-26-2002, 02:33 PM

Son of a...... mardisgrasmax is coming to MY neck of the woods? Very good to see a highly highly experienced modder and inventor-modder coming to DC area.

Hope to see you soon.

Dixit

Quick Reply: J&S Electronics Ultra SafeGuard Group Deal