Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Not Sure if my Car's Geometry is off...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 11:38 AM

Not Sure if my Car's Geometry is off...

I recently put in a set of eibach springs on my A33, and im not sure if its paranoia, but sometimes i'll look at my car and think one side is lower than the other, specifically the rears. Anyone else notice this?? Im wondering if there is anywhere i can go that is relatively level so i can take measurements or somethin. Anyone have any ideas?

-Steve
Old 04-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Re: Not Sure if my Car's Geometry is off...

Originally posted by JSpecMax
[B]I recently put in a set of eibach springs on my A33, and im not sure if its paranoia, but sometimes i'll look at my car and think one side is lower than the other, specifically the rears. Anyone else notice this?? Im wondering if there is anywhere i can go that is relatively level so i can take measurements or somethin. Anyone have any ideas?
One side, or front and back? A tad lower in the back is normal. That is how the car is stock in the first place. Mine is maybe 1/5 inch lower in the back. It plays with my mind some times.
Now if it is different heights from one side to another, then you got problems.

There is not a whole lot you can do about the front back difference, since it is not enough to cut a coil(which I would not do anyway).

The last part of your question is confusing??? I don't know where you live, but I imagine there is a flat surface somewhere.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM

I mean the rears are lower on side to side, not front to back. The fronts are about equal. Im gonna go and measure it now. Its buggin me. I'll go to a gas station or somethin like that where i can use a level ground (instead of using a street which is cambered). Like, left side looks a little lower than right side. Maybe its just my head. Im gonna go get my sanity now, be back later...
Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM

OK, just got back. I went to 2 different gas stations and used their flat surfaces (by the pumps). First I put the car in neutral to make sure there was no hill. Then i measured two ways - the distances from the ground to a fixed point on my car on all sides: found variation of 1/8 - 1/6th of an inch.

Then I put the ruler into the wheel gap (vertically) and noted how much it pitched down, ie, the angle the ruler dipped verses the horizon. The fronts were around 5-10 degrees, the rears about 20-25 degrees a side. That looked pretty normal and equal.

I think maybe Im just being paranoid, but its something i wanted to be sure about. Is it normal to have a little difference between sides? Also, will this just settle? I mean, if i put them in wrong, there would be a large difference I assume. This stuff could make ya crazy!