Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2002 Infiniti I35 foglights

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Infiniti I35 foglights

I have been wanting to rewire my foglights so they come on with the parking lights. I read some older posts, but i couldn't find precise directions on the rewiring procedure. if somebody out there has a link to a site with directions, that would be great, thanks
Old 06-06-2003, 03:04 PM

There was a link where one member here gave step by step instructions on how to override the switch causing the fog lights to only work when the head lamps are on. check some of the older post for the I35, its should be here somewhere.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:15 PM

this was posted some time back by JpecMax(i think i spelled it correct)

Hey all, I just completed my foglight rewire today, and it looks great. It takes less than an hour to do total job, and is quite simple despite the confusing-*** instructions floating around this forum. Heres what i did:

I pried open the relay box (passenger side) and located a PINK (not yellow like on maximas) wire with 2 horizontal silver stripes. This is located on the relay named "FR FOG LAMP"

Cut this wire, Tape off with electrical tape the end that comes from the car, and splice a wire about 1.5 feet or so to the other end (the end that comes from the relay box (blue thingy)).

This wire you spliced from the relay box now will be snaked down to your passenger side corner marker lens, tap it into the RED wire. (It may be helpful to remove the side marker and tap it close to the base of the bulb socket. There are only two wires here, pick the one that is red )

BAM! your done. See how easy?? I was scared poop-less to attempt this when i looked at other's instructions, but it really is simple - you are cutting a wire, sealing off one end, and tapping the other into another wire.

Hope this helps the people who were scared to try this in the past!
Old 06-08-2003, 10:56 AM

if any of you are wiring guru's. I'm trying to hook up my headlights to blink with the hazards, but I want them to be in opposite of the blinking pattern. Make sense? let me know.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:40 PM

This is the fix that works best and is easiest to do - fully described with pictures elsewhere - look for "foglamprewire". Open up the same mentioned relay box, take the silver-dotted (every 6"s) blue wire and cut it leaving 12" and tape off the incoming piece. Now splice that wire into the red wire with green stripe coming out of the side markers relay and you're done. I have an '02 I35 - works like a charm. The only thing you can't do is have all six lights on at one time - it will overload the power, and Infiniti kills the "-" wire coming into the fogs when you turn on the high beams, so it's too much trouble for anyone to figure out (and likely not worth the trouble).

Turn on your parking lights, the fog lights will come on and off if you toggle the switch. Everything else works as before, including the auto-off function, etc. Best to solder it instead of using a wire crimp or twist cap - 12 volt wires are pretty small, and it will last a whole lot longer before you have to go dig it out and fix it!

>RatMan<
Old 06-09-2003, 09:16 PM

Found it - had to dig deep: about 20 days back in the "5th gen Maxima" forum. 2K2=2K3 Max=I35 for wiring of these model years - complete with a purty picture!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....9&pagenumber=4

It's about 1/2-way down the page posted by "SILVERMAXIMA2K3"...
Old 06-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

alright, thanks for the link and all, but I've got another question. This rewire is for the maxima, so doesn't the I35 have different colored wires and stuff? for example, the yellow wire in the maxima is blue in the I35. is that the only one that's different?
Old 06-15-2003, 08:38 PM

The '02 and '03 maxima and I-35 have the same colored wiring - I know that the '01 is not the same, though. I don't remember where I saw it, but it's in here somewhere. Seems like I remember it was a pink wire and a yellow wire, but you should be able to look at the picture and figure out which relays are which and deduce what color the wires are for an '01 if you need to - since you stated "I35", I don't think you do - right?
Old 06-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

right, i do have an I35. thanks a lot
Old 06-19-2003, 04:33 AM

do you have to disconnect the battery before cutting and splicing the wires?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by kingofsorrow
I am not sure with this instance,but I always disconnect the battery before playing with any wires.Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:16 PM

Disconnect the battery?

Originally posted by kingofsorrow
Well, no - you don't HAVE TO disconnect the battery, but you'd be foolish not too unless you want to risk grounding something out and hosing the whole thing...
Old 10-10-2005, 09:19 AM

I just bought my I35, and I didn't get fogs

Where can I get a nice set of aftermarket fogs-as oppose to OEM.

Without OEM fogs, is it going to be the same procedure above to wire them?

I'm luvin my I35 every time I drive it!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:42 AM

Your I35 doesn't have fogs??? I wonder what happened to them? Just google I35 foglamps and I'm sure you will come up with some aftermarket options.

The wiring is definately different on the 00-01 and it sounds like it is on the 02-03 as well. The wire I had to cut was the pink one from the fog relay not yellow like with the Max.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Got Projectors?

No fogs? Those were a standard option. Sounds like yours got stolen somewhere along the line or it was a collision repair.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 AM

Well maybe I am mistaken. Are the foglight directly under each of the headlights? I thought these would be my turn indicator lights; but I must be mistaken.

I don't have a foglight switch anywhere I can find however.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:07 PM

I'm not trying to be an a&&holre by saying this. But if you dont know if you have fog lights or not... you shouldn't be asking us any questions but asking the dealership to go over your car with you.

your fog lights would be located below your headlights on the horizontal plane. your turn signals are lateral to your headlights as shown above mounted inside of your headlight assembly. Please post a picture of your car so we can all oooo and awwww over the missing foglights.

In the meantime try looking on the turn signal lever (on the left hand side of your steering wheel). there might be multiple toggle rings... one on the end is for your headlights... your headlights have to be on for the foglights to work unless modified.. moving towards the steering wheel on the same lever should be another ring that is for the foglights. All this info can be found in the owners manual btw.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 PM

Might not be trying to sound like an a-hole but you did.

My car's owner's manual was not provided to me when I purchased it. My salesman did indeed go over the car with me, but not as it pertains to the foglights. I'm also waiting for my manual to be delivered to my door. I do indeed have foglights-and thank you ever so much for telling me how to enable them.

I'm a f'ing newbie with this car, I don't see why people can't just answer my questions in a dignified manner-it's not like I can search either. Now that I have 15 posts I won't be wasting anymore of anyone's so very precious time with "stupid" questions.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:19 PM

I'm happy that you figured your foglights out.

Sorry to have been such an a$$. I would contact the dealership about an owners manual though. you can usually get one for $20-30. There are a lot of little things in the car that you'll want to know. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:20 PM

No problem, I just don't have a ton of info right now. I shopped around for 3 months before going with the I35. I'm waiting for my dealer to have my manual shipped to me-so I'm at a huge loss as far as refrence.

Thanks for the info though. Much appreciated.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by AcuraLegend
Might not be trying to sound like an a-hole but you did.

My car's owner's manual was not provided to me when I purchased it. My salesman did indeed go over the car with me, but not as it pertains to the foglights. I'm also waiting for my manual to be delivered to my door. I do indeed have foglights-and thank you ever so much for telling me how to enable them.

I'm a f'ing newbie with this car, I don't see why people can't just answer my questions in a dignified manner-it's not like I can search either. Now that I have 15 posts I won't be wasting anymore of anyone's so very precious time with "stupid" questions.
Your foglight switch is on the turning signal/headlight stud. this ring that's on the stud turns on and off the foglights (I am assuming I35's fog is still in the same location as the I30's).

As it comes standard, it will only turn on when your headlights are on. If you wish to turn 'em on with just the parking light then you can follow the instruction to mod 'em.

SY
sycefiro@yahoo.com
Old 06-27-2009, 09:55 AM

The directions say cut the red & blue wire with silver dots, but there are 2 of them??? I tried the first one as you can see in the pic below, but it didn't work ( I triple checked it all) so before I cut the other wire I want to check so I don;t end up with three spliced wires under there etc...
can you confirm which wires I need to cut etc since mine were different too?

Here is the fog light wires to choose from to cut

and which one to tap into, I think I have this one right just mine are orange instead of red?

Last edited by burgy; 06-27-2009 at 09:57 AM.