Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

I35 or 02-03 Max?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 03:18 AM

I35 or 02-03 Max?

Hey all! My first post in this area.

Currently drive an 02 6spd Maxima. But I now want an automatic. Finding a Max w/ OEM leather is difficult. So I checked out some of the I35's.

Personally, I like the Max's styling cues over the I35... but the I35 is very nice also.

The things which attract me to the I35:
-Higher quality center arm rest (I use it alot)
-More comfortable door arm rest.
-4/60 warranty
-Standard leather, ACC, pwr pass seat, etc

And the resale of I35 seems ****!er than the Max
so i could pick one up at a decent $.

Now to my comments/questions:
Does the 'sport pkg' equal to that of the 'se'?
-looks to me as if this was a rare option checked off on the I35. So here I go again, chasing a rarity. Does the regular suspension = gle?

-Any other adv over the Max? Besides 'infinity' brand name. Is it true that the window is thicker and lthr is higher quality? And... what is the comparison on performance 0-60, 60-80, if any? Edmunds clocked the I35 @ 7.9 0-60, thats weak! But i have heard not to trust their #'s.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:04 AM
Got Projectors?

Re: I35 or 02-03 Max?

Originally posted by MaxAppeal

Now to my comments/questions:
Does the 'sport pkg' equal to that of the 'se'?
-looks to me as if this was a rare option checked off on the I35. So here I go again, chasing a rarity. Does the regular suspension = gle?

-Any other adv over the Max? Besides 'infinity' brand name. Is it true that the window is thicker and lthr is higher quality? And... what is the comparison on performance 0-60, 60-80, if any? Edmunds clocked the I35 @ 7.9 0-60, thats weak! But i have heard not to trust their #'s.
Sport Package does = SE in maxima speak.
Non sport is the equivalent of the Maxima GLE.

The leather is of a much better quality than in the Maxima. I also find MUCH less road/wind noise (more weight, but also more sound dampening).

I think you looked maybe at the I30's 0-60 time. It's rated everywhere at 6.9, but I myself have clocked mine at 6.6s, and that's bone stock.

Oh, and it's Infiniti, not Infinity
Old 07-06-2003, 12:42 PM
TheyCallMeSteel

I was in the same position as you. (at least the debate between the maxima and I35) The interior of the I35 is uncomparable to the maxima. It is light years ahead with regard to comfort. (that includes leather, cup holders, arm rests, road noise, REAR heated seats (with winter package) I also found the interior styling to be much better. However, unlike you, I found the exterior styling to be MUCH more sleek, especially having the sport package, and the H & R drop. (I also have the upgraded rims, so I love the look)

Old 07-06-2003, 01:07 PM

Great info...

Another thing about the I35 is that they have some sweet colors avail.

Thanks for clearing up the 0-60 thing. And my bad for the InfinitY thing.

Listening to both of you... I am pretty much set on finding the 'Sport' model. Does anyone know what % of I35s came w/ Sport pkg?

Also, does the sport:
- come with the rear spoiler on the trunk?
- remove the cheesyy wood on steering?

MetaOrbit- sweeeeet front lip. what was the total cost, shipped? i know you paid 75 for spray and DIY install, vy nice work! Do you have any interior pics?
Old 07-06-2003, 03:33 PM
TheyCallMeSteel

the wood on the steering wheel is eliminated via the winter package. The rear spoiler was an option. My sport package did not have it.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:36 PM
Got Projectors?

Listening to both of you... I am pretty much set on finding the 'Sport' model. Does anyone know what % of I35s came w/ Sport pkg?

Also, does the sport:
- come with the rear spoiler on the trunk?
- remove the cheesyy wood on steering?

MetaOrbit- sweeeeet front lip. what was the total cost, shipped? i know you paid 75 for spray and DIY install, vy nice work! Do you have any interior pics?
Can't tell ya what percentage had the sport package...but I will tell you that majority of I35s I see do NOT have it...again, no firm stats, but I don't see many with it.

The sport package does NOT include the rear trunk spoiler. That is an option, but not part of the package. The sport package does, however, remove the wood trim on the steering wheel and the shift **** (both completely leather).

Thanks for the compliment on the lip. To be honest with you I can't remember exactly what it cost. It wasn't that bad (compared to maxima pricing for front lips) - I would contact "LP" on this board and ask him (bought it from him)..sorry I can't be more specific.

I'll get some interior pics soon hopefully. I plan to take a whole round of pics once I get my Tein springs on so I'll be sure to let everyone know then.

Thanks!

John
Old 07-07-2003, 01:09 AM

So i checked the infiniti site for 03 dealer stock. within 100 miles of the los angeles area, there were about 600 I35s just getting stale on their lots.

Of these avail, only about 5 or 6 of them came w/ a sports pkg. Thats roughly 1% of the I35s i saw were equipped w/ sports. and only 1 of them had the heated seats. none had the chrome wheels.

looks like they cant give these away. i wonder how far below invoice they are willing to go. one dealer had like 89 of them avail! i know, through edmunds, there is 1000 in marketing support- makes me think. emailed a few of them... i'll see what they say.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:00 AM
TheyCallMeSteel

Must be the L.A. area. In chicago we had ****. I got lucky when I found mine with all the packages I wanted.

Sport, winter, sun, and upgraded rims.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:19 PM

yeah, la area is a great place to buy cars. there is a ton of competition b/w dealers.

Here's one quote:

"$29,677.00 I35, SPORT MODEL, full size spare, sunroof, cold weather package"

about 900 under invoice... im pretty sure they can do better.

i'd rather go for a used one because of the infamously terrible resale values. my 02 max is worth an embarrassing low # on the open market. so i'm going to give it to my cousin.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:37 AM

Great info...

no sense it paying extra $$ for the sport model if you plan on swapping out the springs and struts for aftermarket products
anyway..

unless of course the spoiler is important to you which very well may be.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by acMAX

no sense it paying extra $$ for the sport model if you plan on swapping out the springs and struts for aftermarket products
anyway..

unless of course the spoiler is important to you which very well may be.
Sport package doesn't include the spoiler. It often comes with it, but it's not part of the package.

The side skirts, however, and 8 spoke wheels do come with the package though.

I do agree with acMAX though - if you weren't happy with your SE maxima suspension, the sport suspension won't be any different.

...Thus the reason for the teins sitting in my foyer and my trying to buy KYBs...
Old 07-08-2003, 04:29 PM

Re: I35 or 02-03 Max?

Yeah the I35s can be had for a good price. My dad got one last year basic model with no sunroof for $26500. He just sold it for $22000. Great car! I almost bought it from him but decided to stick with my 98 I30. BTW, he sold it to get a G35 sedan and because he was involved it two accidents in the car, not because he didn't like it.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:53 PM

I plan to keep the car basically stock including suspension and rims. stereo will be changed.

And yes, you're right the tail is an accesory. But in no way do you need to have a sport pkg to add a spoiler- doesnt make sense. Anyway, the spoiler is not a must have... dont even know if i like it yet.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I go with the I35... the back seats fold down... thats always a plus
Old 07-09-2003, 01:04 PM

The Max rear seats fold down also, G35 doesnt.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like the I35 better than I like the max. I like the 4th gen style max. I dont think they should have gotten away from that too much. Even the new max from the front doesnt look like a max. You have to second guess if its an altima or not...
Old 07-19-2003, 02:20 PM

What is the status on your I35 shopping I would have bought an I35 when I was shopping but my nearest Infiniti dealer is too damn far away and getting service done at the infiniti dealer would take too much time out of my day and I didn't want to buy an I35 to have to go to my Nissan dealership and not get a loaner car. Therefore I got a 2002 Maxima SE Auto. I have had the car for nearly 2 years and no complaints but I'm a huge fan of the I35 Sprt Package!