Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Air Bag Light

hey, I have a '98 Infiniti I30.

I'm new to Maxima.org, anyways my air bag light began to flash, it s a steady flash.

the manual says I should bring it to the delearship, I know there is something wrong with the circuitry, but is there anything else I can do to avoid making the trip to the dealer?

thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:16 PM

Re: Air Bag Light

My 99 I30 (@60,000 miles) is going into the dealer for the same flashing light. I've isolated my problem to the left side air bag control module (~$700). All I told the dealer was that the light was flashing. This should be a free warranty repair, no matter how many miles or years old your car is. If they expect me to pay one penny towards the fix, I'm selling my Nissan stock.

Mel

Originally posted by Deadlock
hey, I have a '98 Infiniti I30.

I'm new to Maxima.org, anyways my air bag light began to flash, it s a steady flash.

the manual says I should bring it to the delearship, I know there is something wrong with the circuitry, but is there anything else I can do to avoid making the trip to the dealer?

thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok, so you're saying that when the light flashes it means one of the modules is faulty? and its covered by the warranty no matter what?

I have 74,000 miles on mines, and how did you isolate the problem?

I suppose that resetting the ECU wouldn't help.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:30 AM

Here it is:
1. Open driver's door.
2. Turn ignition switch from "OFF" to "ON".
3. Press driver's door switch at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning ignition switch "ON".

The air bag system is now in a diagnostic mode.
(Repeat the above procedure to return to normal operation.)

The air bag light will now flash in such a way as to identify the problem in the air bag system.

My problem was discovered as outlined below:
1. Once I turn the ignition to "ON", the air bag light remains on for seven seconds.
2. The light goes out for 2 seconds.
3. The light is on for 1.5 seconds.
4. The light goes out for .5 seconds.
5. The light is on for 1.5 seconds.
6. The light goes out for 2 seconds.
7. The light is on for .5 seconds.
8. The light goes out for .5 seconds.
9. The light is on for .5 seconds.
10. The light goes out for 2 seconds.
11. The cycle repeats.

Esentially it looks like two long flashes and two short flashes.

This indicates that the left side air bag module circuit is malfunctioning.

The recommended repair is:
1. Visually check the wiring harness connection.
2. Replace the harness if it has visible damage.
3. Replace side air bag module (LH).
4. Replace the diagnosis sensor unit.

I suppose I could check the wiring harness and check for obvious damage. If I did find something wrong, I'm fairly sure the harness is not cheap. I'm even more sure that the side air bag module is is not cheap and let's just guess that obtaining the diagnosis sensor unit would obviate the need to leave a vital organ at the parts counter of your Infiniti dealer. I proceeding on the assumption that the repair will be cheerfully covered by Nissan.

Mel
Old 07-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hope it is covered, thanks for the info, I'm going to try to see what the problem is, do you have a repair manual? how did you know the order of flashing lights would indicate your perticular siruation?

thanks again. I dont supposed there is a list of what flashes mean what?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:08 AM

Go to www.alldata.com and subscribe.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:16 AM

The dealer says the car needs a new airbag and that is covered under warranty. They gave me an FX35 as a loaner. It feels underpowered, the steering wheel is tiny, the ride is choppy, and the windows are height-challenged, but at 38,000 dollars it's probably a bargain.

Mel
Old 07-17-2003, 02:24 PM
vsamoylov

If you want the easy way out and your car isn't under warranty, just pull the light bulb out from the back of the gages.

Old 07-17-2003, 02:32 PM

That would be my solution. Or just apply black electrical tape to the front of the guage.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:37 PM
vsamoylov

But that will look so stupid and it will always be in front of your eyes.

Old 07-18-2003, 05:50 AM

Perhaps the tape could be fashioned in the shape of the Infiniti badge?
Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yea, but then when u need the air bag to save a life it just won't work.

melgaljour, how many miles did you have, and you said that the warranty was up correct?

so there is no limit on the warranty concerning the air bag? because if that is so, then I would rather have it taken care of. But the dealers here are such ******, they try to take every penny from you...
Old 07-18-2003, 10:57 AM

I agree. The air bag may one day save a life. I bought the car (certified) used at the Infiniti dealer. My extended warranty runs 7 years/84,000 miles. I brought the car into the dealer at 59750 miles. I will ask him this afternoon under which warranty was it covered (standard, extended, or super-secret).

Mel

P.S. I did add the fuel injector service (throttle body cleaning included) for ~$100.
Transmission flush (without a pan drop and filter screen cleaning!) is around $150.
Cracking belt will be changed for ~100.
Tire rotation and balance will be 49.95.
4-wheel alignment is 89.95.
I passed on the battery service (I just installed a Red Top Optima that fits nicely in the battery tray.), the air conditioning service, over-priced platinum plugs (I put in Denso Iridiums at ~40000 miles.), BG44k fuel treatment (I'll have my 7-year old pour a bottle of that into the tank.), BG44K MOA? oil additive (I'm new to this product and am loathe to add anything to the Mobil 1 already present. I need to do more research.)
They did try to coax me out of ~$225 to replace just the rear brake pads (down to their last 3/32). For that money I'll just get two new rotors and pads and install them myself. I'll look for any excuse to drink beer on a Saturday morning.
I went to the nearest Nissan dealer and they sort of gave me a blank stare when I said I wanted to bring in an I30. Their prices weren't much cheaper. I'll have to hunt down an independent mechanic.

Mel
Old 07-18-2003, 11:36 AM
vsamoylov

The airbag system will still work if you pull out the light bulb. A light bulb isn't going to save a life. I mean the system might have a problem but it will still deploy in case of an accident.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 PM

Perhaps the "problematic" system would fail to inform the air bag to inflate?
Old 07-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

but the light is on for a reason, meaning that something in the circuit can prevent the air bag from working properly, that is the point at hand.

I also have a Service Engine Soon light come on once in a while, its suppossed to be tied up to the Emissions catogory of the car, so I am assuming its the O2 sensor or something of the sort. Can someone show me the instructions on how to properly check the codes if any thrown by the ECU?

thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 09:38 PM
vsamoylov

Not really because the airbag system has an overide which deploys the system no matter what. The light bulb just means that either the airbag system already has blown up or it isn't pluged in. Nothing else.

Old 09-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

airbag light reset: more than just 5-7 times

previously posted relative info:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...15&pagenumber=1

Mine was blinking after disarming and re-arming the airbags in connection with pulling my Bose headunit. (yellow connectors in steering column and glove box). I repeatedly tried the "5 times in 7 sec" doorbutton switch routine but no luck.

I wheeled into a friendly South Carolina Nissan dealership and intercepted the technician in the parking lot. (i.e. before some desk-jockey could write up an expensive work order) I asked him about the airbag lamp. He sat down and did the doorbutton switch-reset, but pressed it way more than 5-7 times. He was really rapidly pressing it. (Like video-game lasar-cannon style). Fifteen times, maybe? He explained that sends it into diagnostic mode. Moments later it was solid, then off. Fixed. Try that variation to the previously posted routine.

ic2esk@yahoo.com
Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

blinking air bag light

3 doors open, 5 times door switch in 7 seconds did not work for me.
all 4 doors jiggle seat connectors and jog seats back and forth with power switch, then 5 time in 7 seconds turned air bag light off
Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Infinity oxygen sensor and other code repair

I had that problem, The air bag control goes through 2 fuses. They corrode like all copper over time. Take a set of needle nose plyers and pull each one, sand it with 240 -300 grit wet or dry sanpaper and replace it. It takes a while but it has fixed many problems and codes on my car(rear oxygen sensor). 1996 infinity I30. I have a repair manual but to lazy to go back and find the right one for you