Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2002 I35 vs 1998 I30

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 04:37 PM

2002 I35 vs 1998 I30

Hey guys,

I took my car in for fluid changes today (tranny, coolant, oil) and they gave me a free rental for the day. It was a 2002 I35.

Let me just say that at first I wasn't very impressed with it as compared to my I30, however it does have some very nice features added.

I found that the quality of parts was lacking, for instance the inside door handle and lock were pretty cheezy plastic, as compared to the chrome solid one on the 98 I30. Even the drivers control panel (windows, locks, etc) seemed to be rather cheap, and the synthetic wood not all that great. The sunroof control blows, I mean it has only three settings, closed, semi-open, and open, and they are not very responsive. I do like that they were one touch, however they were delayed, ie/ I pushed it to open, and pushed it back to closed and it took a good second to reverse back the way it came.
The leather seemed to be of a lower quality that the 98 I30 aswell.

Beyond these downfalls there were some nice features I like, like the steering wheel radio control is sweet. The two-setting auto adjusting seats were pretty cool.

The power definately a plus, it puts out more hp and kicks in fairly low in the rpm range. I didn't like the shifter tho with the zig zag's but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Anyway least to say, the experience wasn't as thrilling as when I first received my 1998 Infiniti I30, however some of the positives outweight the negatives.

What happened to the quality?

Anyway, any chance anyone's made their own steering wheel radio control? I'd love to have one in my I30.

Oh well cheers,
Old 07-18-2003, 05:20 PM
vsamoylov

The radio conrols on the wheel are cool but they go to the computer and from the computer to the radio. So if the computer isn't programed to have the conrols, it won't work. Same as heated wheel.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:10 PM
JsL

I think I need to take my car back to the dealer and get myself a loaner G35. The G35 in terms of build and performance is better than an I30. The G35 drives very nicely and the VQ35 is great.

I never knew they loan I35s.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:55 AM

I tried for the G35 but they told me it's unavailable.

The dealership strangely mentioned that the G35 has a brake problem. They say the brakes warp every 10,000km! Usually they won't divulge that kind of info but people may want to consider that before buying a G35...
Old 07-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Re: 2002 I35 vs 1998 I30

Originally posted by InfiniSteve
Hey guys,

I took my car in for fluid changes today (tranny, coolant, oil) and they gave me a free rental for the day. It was a 2002 I35.

Let me just say that at first I wasn't very impressed with it as compared to my I30, however it does have some very nice features added.

I found that the quality of parts was lacking, for instance the inside door handle and lock were pretty cheezy plastic, as compared to the chrome solid one on the 98 I30. Even the drivers control panel (windows, locks, etc) seemed to be rather cheap, and the synthetic wood not all that great. The sunroof control blows, I mean it has only three settings, closed, semi-open, and open, and they are not very responsive. I do like that they were one touch, however they were delayed, ie/ I pushed it to open, and pushed it back to closed and it took a good second to reverse back the way it came.

Beyond these downfalls there were some nice features I like, like the steering wheel radio control is sweet. The two-setting auto adjusting seats were pretty cool.

The power definately a plus, it puts out more hp and kicks in fairly low in the rpm range. I didn't like the shifter tho with the zig zag's but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Anyway least to say, the experience wasn't as thrilling as when I first received my 1998 Infiniti I30, however some of the positives outweight the negatives.

Anyway, any chance anyone's made their own steering wheel radio control? I'd love to have one in my I30.

Oh well cheers,
The chrome door handles, at least in my 96, are not solid chrome by any means. They are just a chrome colored plastic covering. Mine is pealing away in a few places.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:30 AM

Hey guys,

Oh well cheers,
Allow me to take this opportunity to share some revelating information with you. First, the quality of the 1998 I30 vs the 2002 I35 is not different at all. In fact the materials used to build both vehicles is the same. (The leather in your car is the exact same Sojouner Leather imported from Italy thats in the 2002-2003 I35's) Secondly, as one fellow member here pointed out, the interior parts are only colored differently. Overall the dash, door handles, and wood trimmings are indeed plastic. (Yet the 2002 and newer I35's have a better looking wood design although its still fake.) Third, you are correct about the delays in the controls. But you know why there is a delay, most of the operations in the I35 are technologically advanced where the ECU controls pretty much every function of the car. The older model I30's were releived of this burden. (Thats why its so much easier to tune an I30 as opposed to an I35). ***See the second reply post for more info on what I mean.*** And finally, its your opinion as to whether or not you were appeased with your first encounter of the I35. I was the same way when I first sat in one. Its seemed to be over rated. Yet after comparing it to the ES300, IS300, Acura TL & Cl Type S's, Audi A4, BMW 330i, Cadillac CTS, and even the G35 sedan and coupe, its a better overall deal. (true the vehicle may depreciate faster than the rest of the cars I listed, but for the money you can't lose.)

To end my thought, its styled moreso like a mini version of the BIG Q45. Thus, its not an exact classy replica of the Maxima as the older versions of the "I" were. This maybe the reason you don't really get too excited about it. Afterall, many people don't like the new Q, but for what you get price wise, one would be off not to at least consider it.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:12 AM

on a side note, if u wanted to make steering wheel contols for the radio it pretty easy to do with an aftermarket radio that has remote control capability.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:00 PM

Re: Re: 2002 I35 vs 1998 I30

Originally posted by gqmac2

Allow me to take this opportunity to share some revelating information with you. First, the quality of the 1998 I30 vs the 2002 I35 is not different at all. In fact the materials used to build both vehicles is the same. (The leather in your car is the exact same Sojouner Leather imported from Italy thats in the 2002-2003 I35's) Secondly, as one fellow member here pointed out, the interior parts are only colored differently. Overall the dash, door handles, and wood trimmings are indeed plastic. (Yet the 2002 and newer I35's have a better looking wood design although its still fake.) Third, you are correct about the delays in the controls. But you know why there is a delay, most of the operations in the I35 are technologically advanced where the ECU controls pretty much every function of the car. The older model I30's were releived of this burden. (Thats why its so much easier to tune an I30 as opposed to an I35). ***See the second reply post for more info on what I mean.*** And finally, its your opinion as to whether or not you were appeased with your first encounter of the I35. I was the same way when I first sat in one. Its seemed to be over rated. Yet after comparing it to the ES300, IS300, Acura TL & Cl Type S's, Audi A4, BMW 330i, Cadillac CTS, and even the G35 sedan and coupe, its a better overall deal. (true the vehicle may depreciate faster than the rest of the cars I listed, but for the money you can't lose.)

To end my thought, its styled moreso like a mini version of the BIG Q45. Thus, its not an exact classy replica of the Maxima as the older versions of the "I" were. This maybe the reason you don't really get too excited about it. Afterall, many people don't like the new Q, but for what you get price wise, one would be off not to at least consider it.
Sorry about if you took what I said the wrong way. I do like the 2002 I35, it's just there's a few things that rubbed me wrong but I'm sure I would have eventually came to enjoy.

The quality of the handles on the I35 .. well, I think they are a little more plasticy than that of the 98 I30 .. Mine feel more solid, and heavier, even though they aren't real chrome. They are just more solid. Here's my example, the backs are just solid piece, while on the I35 you can feel where the plastic connects to the door, the backside of that **** makes it feel like cheap plastic. If they made it smooth on the backside of the **** then I wouldn't complain. But I think the I30's has a little better quality in that you can't 'feel' it's plastic straight off.

I guess you are right about the wood dash. I kinda like the oak look on the 98 I30, rather than the whatever yellowy look they have in the 2002+ I35. Either once is cheap, but the 2002+ sticks out a lot more! Plus the whole dash does not have the wood trim, just the bottom, while on the I30 the wood goes up more.

Next, the time display. Don't get me wrong, it is original, however it is very hard to read as compared to a digital. You just want a quick readout. It does look original but something I could do without..

Anyway I agree it is a better overall car than those you mentioned, I just feel they could have taken a little more user friendliness and cleanliness into account. I think the I30's interior was just a little more thought out than the I35. Another switch is the window switch you can feel the underside of them. It feels cheezy. Even tho the I30 has the same sort of switch you cannot feel the underside to know it's crap.

Anyway least to say, I did like the 2002 I35 and it got better over time. I am definately considering an upgrade .. It does have some nice features, I just thought they could have done a little better on some of the issues. I'm not saying they don't have issues on the I30, just the controls were not as noticeable as cheap plastic.

Just my opinion,
Old 07-20-2003, 05:28 PM

I had a chance to trade in my 98 I30 and get a 2002 I35 but I decided against it. I drove around in the I35 for a couple of weeks and really liked it. The power, the looks, and the leather appealed to me. I also liked the wood trim on the steering wheel and shifter. All that being said, I still like my 98 better. Can't really explain it. The 98 is defaintely more "sporty" in the way that it drives. It looks like they were going a lot more towards luxury with the later model. A nice matching dash kit and upgraded suspension would go really well with that car. Great car for close to 20K but I think I'm used to my I30.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2002 I35 vs 1998 I30

Sorry about if you took what I said the wrong way. I do like the 2002 I35, it's just there's a few things that rubbed me wrong but I'm sure I would have eventually came to enjoy.

The quality of the handles on the I35 .. well, I think they are a little more plasticy than that of the 98 I30 .. Mine feel more solid, and heavier, even though they aren't real chrome. They are just more solid. Here's my example, the backs are just solid piece, while on the I35 you can feel where the plastic connects to the door, the backside of that **** makes it feel like cheap plastic. If they made it smooth on the backside of the **** then I wouldn't complain. But I think the I30's has a little better quality in that you can't 'feel' it's plastic straight off.

I guess you are right about the wood dash. I kinda like the oak look on the 98 I30, rather than the whatever yellowy look they have in the 2002+ I35. Either once is cheap, but the 2002+ sticks out a lot more! Plus the whole dash does not have the wood trim, just the bottom, while on the I30 the wood goes up more.

Next, the time display. Don't get me wrong, it is original, however it is very hard to read as compared to a digital. You just want a quick readout. It does look original but something I could do without..

Anyway I agree it is a better overall car than those you mentioned, I just feel they could have taken a little more user friendliness and cleanliness into account. I think the I30's interior was just a little more thought out than the I35. Another switch is the window switch you can feel the underside of them. It feels cheezy. Even tho the I30 has the same sort of switch you cannot feel the underside to know it's crap.

Anyway least to say, I did like the 2002 I35 and it got better over time. I am definately considering an upgrade .. It does have some nice features, I just thought they could have done a little better on some of the issues. I'm not saying they don't have issues on the I30, just the controls were not as noticeable as cheap plastic.

Just my opinion,
Oh no, don't take what I said as me being combative. I was only stipulating more informational fact being an owner of an I35. As I sad, you are right about the cheap interior parts (for example the passenger side cup holder being placed over the a\c vent. What was nissan thinking?) But the quality of the car is very much better than the 98 I30's. I am saddened that Nissan choose to draw back the sporty edge that the I30's and I30t's offered. I believe thats one of the biggest draw backs. The I35 is geared at those considering a true entry level luxury ride and the G35 is for those who want sport and flare. Its all good however. I just pray that the new I35's for 2004 do not travel along the styling range that the new Maxima (its ferternal twin) has.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:58 AM
TheyCallMeSteel

I was just playing with my moon roof, there are more than 3 settings. I counted 5 including fully opened and fully closed. (add 1 more if you count the pop up open)
As for the wood, I noticed the wood was a bit different in each car. I wouldn't call the wood inside my I35 yellowish. However, the loaner I35 I had, lacked the cold weather package I have, and definitely had a different shade of wood. In fact, now that I think about it, I would perhaps classify it as slightly yellowish. Also, the none cold weather packaged I35's have wood grain on the steering wheel, and further up the dash.
Also, the suspension is a bit floaty, but IMO it toasts the I30 in every way, shape, and form. (and the H&R springs I put on make it sit very nicely)

Old 07-23-2003, 06:57 AM

but IMO it toasts the I30 in every way, shape, and form.
Hmmmm...no available manual tranny?
Old 07-23-2003, 10:32 AM
TheyCallMeSteel

If I wanted a car with a manual tranny I would have gone the M route, not I35.

Old 07-23-2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

Hmmmm...no available manual tranny?
theres no manual tranny because of the G35. Remember after Nissan promised America a Skyline derivitive from the Icon we know and love, the G35 came about and ever since has dominated the sporty nature of Infiniti where as the I35 is geared towards true luxury enthusiasts. BTW, I got wood on my steering wheel. YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by TheyCallMeSteel
I was just playing with my moon roof, there are more than 3 settings. I counted 5 including fully opened and fully closed. (add 1 more if you count the pop up open)
As for the wood, I noticed the wood was a bit different in each car. I wouldn't call the wood inside my I35 yellowish. However, the loaner I35 I had, lacked the cold weather package I have, and definitely had a different shade of wood. In fact, now that I think about it, I would perhaps classify it as slightly yellowish. Also, the none cold weather packaged I35's have wood grain on the steering wheel, and further up the dash.
Also, the suspension is a bit floaty, but IMO it toasts the I30 in every way, shape, and form. (and the H&R springs I put on make it sit very nicely)

Dude, where did you find H&R springs for your 2002 I35? I have yet to find any aftermarket parts specifically designed for the I35.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:12 PM

That's not the point.
The I35 does not "toast" the I30 in every possible way becuase it does not have an available manual transmission like the I30 did.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:52 AM

Yeah, but the whole idea of the i30 is the "Luxury Sport Sedan" and the "sport" is the key word...it's always nice to pull up to a civic, integra, etc...and them have NO CLUE that my car is a stick until they hear me redline 1st gear, and rape them in 2nd
Old 07-30-2003, 12:01 PM
TheyCallMeSteel

I see your points.

SO I will officially give the I30 a point for the manual tranny, in my score book!