Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Warning to those about aftermarket parts & the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Got Projectors?

Warning to those about aftermarket parts & the dealer

Well, lately I had a sound from the rear suspension so I took the car to the dealer here in Knoxville.

As some of you may have known, I put Tein Springs and KYB GR-2 struts on my car over the summer while I was home. Upon hearing that the Infiniti dealer (Nashville) has some of the best alignment equipment, I took my car there to have it aligned. I didn't complain of any problems while there, nothing. As it turned out, they couldn't get it on the rack (too low). So, I figured no harm, I took it somewhere else and had it aligned.
A couple weeks later, I switched everything back to stock, and all seemed fine.

Fast forward to now, and me dropping the car off at the dealer here at school. Everything is stock, I take them for a ride, they hear the noise, and say they'll fix it. Well, I get a call saying they ordered a left rear strut to try and fix the noise, and that I'll have to wait till next week for it to come in. I then go down to the dealer to pick my car back up, and wouldn't you know - when I pick it up, one of the service guys says to me, "Nashville Infiniti had a note on your service history saying you had 2" lowering springs on there."

Not wanting to lie, I say, "Yeah, I did have springs and new struts on there over the summer but didn't like the ride, so I had everything swapped back to stock."

He said he had Eibachs put on his Jetta and it wasn't that bad, but after all was said and done he just said, "That's interesting..."

I suppose at this point they'll go ahead and try to fix the sound seeing as it's all stock and had been fine. I'm hoping the new strut will fix the noise, but if it doesn't, knowing what they know now, do you think they'll still be intent on trying to figure out the problem?

But more importantly, this is a warning to those with aftermarket parts that go to the dealer. Apparently they make notes of your aftermarket stuff (or some of it) - EVEN when you take it in for basic service and aren't even complaining of any problems.

That kind of ****es me off. Thought others should know.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:18 PM

when i took my car in for an oil change here in Tampa, they made note of the clear sidemarkers. didn't complain just wanted to know where i got them etc...i'm waiting to hear what they say when i put on the rear lip spoiler and the ST-R front skirts i got from luke.