Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Upgraded 97 tail to 98-99 but had problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 08:28 PM
ado

Upgraded 97 tail to 98-99 but had problem

Hi all,

I have upgraded the tail of 97 i30 to 98-99 i30. Check out the pics i attached. But i ran into a problem. The countour of the 98-99 panel does not match the 97 trunk lit. The panel is poping out a bit after the install.

I am wondering if there is anyone who also did the upgrade ran into the same problem. Or is it that i got a faulty panel.

Thanks

New look !!

Problem.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:37 PM

I'm at work and the monitor here is real dim, so I cant see what exactly is wrong, but....I did the same upgrade on my car and it worked fine. It should fit perfectly. Just keep playing with it till you get it to work right.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:51 PM
ado

Originally Posted by Drew96I30
I'm at work and the monitor here is real dim, so I cant see what exactly is wrong, but....I did the same upgrade on my car and it worked fine. It should fit perfectly. Just keep playing with it till you get it to work right.

Thanks for replying this quick. I was puzzled with the problem.
You mean that the contour should match perfectly? It must be my lights then. I will take the panel out and see if there are any loose parts or cracks. The packaging for the panel was pretty bad when i got it. It might have damaged the panel.

One thing i am sure the the screws at the back are already tight. The panel won't go in any furthur.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by ado
Thanks for replying this quick. I was puzzled with the problem.
You mean that the contour should match perfectly? It must be my lights then. I will take the panel out and see if there are any loose parts or cracks. The packaging for the panel was pretty bad when i got it. It might have damaged the panel.

One thing i am sure the the screws at the back are already tight. The panel won't go in any furthur.
Nice Cefiro Outter Tail
Anyway, I forgot how many studs are back there behind the panel. I remember it as Louis F. aka I30touring was doing his panel. He ran into the same problem. You may wanna email him to find out how he fixed his.

Here are the links to his website:
www.cardomain.com/id/i30touring
page 1
Old 10-15-2003, 05:12 PM
ado

Originally Posted by SYCEFIRO
Nice Cefiro Outter Tail
Anyway, I forgot how many studs are back there behind the panel. I remember it as Louis F. aka I30touring was doing his panel. He ran into the same problem. You may wanna email him to find out how he fixed his.

Here are the links to his website:
www.cardomain.com/id/i30touring
page 1
Thanks Sy. I just sent out a pm to I30touring and ask him about the install.

And good eys on spotting the Cefiro Tails. I thought no one would notice that.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:03 AM
ado

Problem solved. Thanks for all your help. The new look is definately worth the effort. It looks so much better compared to the old 96-97 style.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:04 AM

hey ado,
sorry, i just got your PM just now and am STILL having the problem, i just assumed that my oplique was warped, it actually does look warped. Because the black part that bolts to the trunk lid fits with the trunk lid but the red part is somewhat separated from it. What'd you do to fix it? I tried heating it up a little and clamping it so that it would rest in place but that didn't work which lead me to conclude that the red plastic part was definitely warped. Let me know what you did b/c I'm up for giving it a try. If that doesn't work, I have been trying to locate another, but havent had any luck. Thanks man.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:00 AM
ado

Originally Posted by i30touring
hey ado,
sorry, i just got your PM just now and am STILL having the problem, i just assumed that my oplique was warped, it actually does look warped. Because the black part that bolts to the trunk lid fits with the trunk lid but the red part is somewhat separated from it. What'd you do to fix it? I tried heating it up a little and clamping it so that it would rest in place but that didn't work which lead me to conclude that the red plastic part was definitely warped. Let me know what you did b/c I'm up for giving it a try. If that doesn't work, I have been trying to locate another, but havent had any luck. Thanks man.
Hey i30touring,

I think you have the same problem as me. The red part was separated from the panel. I used a heat gun (those super hot hair dryer like) to heat up the back (where the red panel should clip onto) then forced the red panel into the clips. You got the clamp the clips with plier (while it is hot) to make sure they hold the red part in place.

I only figured out what was the problem at take taking out 3 of the studs at the back. Wasted a lot of time on it. I should have notice the red part was separated. After getting the red part into place. Problem solved. No more gaps.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey whered you buy the outter tails and center panel from. Im dying to upgrade my lights but I dont know where to get them from...and how much did you pay?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:34 PM
ado

Originally Posted by nycspudz03
hey whered you buy the outter tails and center panel from. Im dying to upgrade my lights but I dont know where to get them from...and how much did you pay?

I got my outter tails from Taiwan. They are for Cefiro 2.0, the 3.0 liter version has different kind of outter tails. You could also get the original 98-99 I30 tails.

I got my center panel from ebay. These new ones don't appear too often. You have to be patient. Or you can try out your local junk yard.

The center panel i got from Ebay wasn't so great. The packaging was so bad that the two upper corners of my panel broke off a little piece. I had to glue it back. Not a really pleasant transaction. Gota watch for those dishonest sellers.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ado
Thanks Sy. I just sent out a pm to I30touring and ask him about the install.

And good eys on spotting the Cefiro Tails. I thought no one would notice that.

It's NOT hard to notice when you have the same tail-lights: