Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Headlight LED

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 06:35 PM

Headlight LED

hey guys i have a 96 inifniti i30 with stock headlights. i was wondering if any of you have put LEDS in your headlight at all to give it a cool glow., im trying to find the best way to mount them in my headlights
Old 12-02-2003, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
hey guys i have a 96 inifniti i30 with stock headlights. i was wondering if any of you have put LEDS in your headlight at all to give it a cool glow., im trying to find the best way to mount them in my headlights
Like this?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:34 PM

exactly. i dont mind doing extra work if it will come out good. i mean right now i havent really touched anything on my car. and i want to learn so i can alot of stuff myself but i dont want to break anything when i try and remove stuff. so i need help on taking out the headlight also
Old 12-03-2003, 05:49 PM

I just replaced the parking/city lights which are normally 194 bulbs, with 194 leds.. no drilling on my part.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:12 PM

i dont want to replace bulbs in there already i wanna keep all my bulbs in just want a glow from like 1 oe 2 leds that i got
Old 12-04-2003, 01:34 PM

i dont want to replace bulbs in there already i wanna keep all my bulbs in just want a glow from like 1 oe 2 leds that i got
The point of the city lights are to do exactly that, make the reflector glow. So it makes sense that if you replace them with different colored bulbs or leds, that they will glow that color.. like in the case of my headlights. This is the easiest way, and requires no modification. I however do not know on a 96 if you have city lights or not... if not then you just drill into the housing and they make kits for exactly what you're wanting.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:24 PM

no they just have normal ligths highbeams and foglights. yah i know its supposed to reflect, but i dont want to repalce the bulb to green when i need my normal bulbs to see at night u know. plus that illegal. ther really arent kits for what i want but im trying to think of ways. btw urs looks reall nice
Old 12-04-2003, 11:47 PM

no they just have normal ligths highbeams and foglights. yah i know its supposed to reflect, but i dont want to repalce the bulb to green when i need my normal bulbs to see at night u know. plus that illegal. ther really arent kits for what i want but im trying to think of ways. btw urs looks reall nice
There are kits, and when i said replace, i meant the city lights, not the main bulbs. Lets see what i can scrounge up...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33710

there we go...

Gotta drill though.

My regular hids still work, the glow disappears when the headlights come on.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What type of led

Got to start somewhere, I just wanted to know what type of the 194 led that you got. There were so many different versions of them on the net, but I think yours look perfect.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:02 PM

nguy where did you get the LEDs, and how easy is it to swap them?
Old 12-09-2003, 07:45 PM

I got them off ebay. They're just 194 leds. Type in "194 led" on ebay and you'll find a load of them. Do NOT buy the focused leds, for they just spit out light like a flash light and wont hit your reflectors at all. You have to get the inverse leds that make the lights come out the side of the bulb, so it glows into your reflector and get the cool look. It was a 5 minute installation, if that, you just twist the light mounts out, one of them is a little harder than the other, but its easy. Here's a pic of the packaging for the ones I got a few months back.. I think I'm going to change the color to red or something now, to keep things different.

Old 12-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guess what guys went to www.superbrightleds.com. I bought all the other colors we can see what they all look like. Give me about a week, christmas is slowing things down. By the way, What do you guys think about amber fog-lamps on the I-30 ??
Old 12-12-2003, 04:49 PM

i would consider what u got but they arent bright enough for me. i decided that i am going to drill two holes with the smallest drill biut i have and put the leds in there. but i need to take the whole assembly out, and take off the front plastic piece. i need access to the inside so i can position my leds so they reflect on the reflectors. if you guys are interested in just nromal LEDs go to www.oznium.com. they are just like the leds from superbrightleds.com but they are alot cheaper. they are bright sobs if i do say so myself. the only bad part with what i am doing is once my leds are in they are there for good. BUT i can always make chnages if i feel like it lol.

is the hl assembly a ***** to take out and the front plastic cover? never done this before.

also i read the fog light thread, and i want to put LEDs in my fogs also is this going to be a ***** also?
Old 12-12-2003, 04:57 PM

dont get me wrong your glow is nice but i want brightness. if you were to point the LED straight at the reflector from the fornt it would have a fuller glow. or even if you added another one. it would help. i want mine to look mean as hell lol.

any of you put leds in your vents at all?
Old 12-12-2003, 07:58 PM

dont get me wrong your glow is nice but i want brightness. if you were to point the LED straight at the reflector from the fornt it would have a fuller glow. or even if you added another one. it would help. i want mine to look mean as hell lol.

any of you put leds in your vents at all?
If that were true, how come the headlight bulbs themselves don't do what you say? My leds are inverse, meaning all the light comes out he side of the bulb, not from the tip, so where it is located is the optimal location as it is... I just want a latent glow, not bring the attention of all the cops to my car. Putting leds in vents imho is kinda distracting... no need for stuff in the car glowing all over the place while you're driving. As for drilling the assemblies.. that will nicely void your warranty on the HIDS..something I do not want to do, considering the cost of replacing them. The way i did my leds was a no-cut or drill way, and its pretty much all OEM. If my leds were any brighter I would get pulled over in no time with the color that i'm using. They're also a lot brighter than the photos show, because I used the flash and it made them look very dim... When I start my car in the garage you can see the whole garage glow blue, but not so much that its annoying.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:04 AM

o ok, well with ur headlight i can understand not wanting to **** them up, but in my case, since my car is so old im planning on putting in the cefiro headlights when i get the cash which wont be for a while, so basicly i need to try and not trash these but have fun trying to do what i want you know, and i want bright lol, plus mine are green which i would get in less trouble with the cops and im putting mine to a switch so i can turn them on whenever. i like options lol
Old 12-13-2003, 12:40 PM

o ok, well with ur headlight i can understand not wanting to **** them up, but in my case, since my car is so old im planning on putting in the cefiro headlights when i get the cash which wont be for a while, so basicly i need to try and not trash these but have fun trying to do what i want you know, and i want bright lol, plus mine are green which i would get in less trouble with the cops and im putting mine to a switch so i can turn them on whenever. i like options lol
Mine are switched, with the driving lights. When I want them off, I can turn the driving lights off, or the headlights on...the hids are way brighter than the leds so they just blend them out.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:11 PM

ooo.. well thats goodis it a ***** to to the plastic off from the front of the hl mount at all?
Old 12-13-2003, 11:08 PM

I wouldn't know actually... Never removed my headlights before. Put them in the oven for a while and find out :P
Old 12-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Got The Leds All Five Of Them

OK, someone tell me how you add a pictures here, I have 5 different pics of leds installed on my car. RED,BLUE,AMBER,PURPLE,GREEN.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:17 PM

u need to upload ur pics to a site and make alink to them it easy when u r posting a reply there are buttons on top of the reply box and one of em says insert image when u put ur cursor over it. u click it then addd the url to your pic and then click it again to close the tag veru easy. so u just need to upload ur pics to a page on the net. i am interested to see what u did
Old 12-23-2003, 03:48 PM

just be careful if you're modifying your stock headlight housings. my friend tried that on a 2002 I30t and he cracked the housing somehow. it wasn't cheap to replace. if you have the cefiro set up it already has the driving lights set up so u can get that LED glow at nite without having your headlights on. i have it on mine. i'll post up a pic later
Old 12-24-2003, 03:13 PM

o thank you for the tip ill be careful. i have stock eventually i want the cefiro headlights.

on a sidenote, whats the dealio with cleared tail lights things like that. i want like white or what ever. are there any diff taillights for a 96 infiniti
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 PM

New Leds!!!! The passenger blue led started burning out, and blinking...so I ordered some new leds, these don't shine light into the reflector though , so it doesn't look as cool. Ah well tell me what u think!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:18 AM

I like the new color better, but the old ones reflected better.

In the first pic you posted, how did you get the High beams to glow? Did you drill into them and add a kit like the ones on superbrightleds.com?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:51 PM

hmm i liked the first ones better it looks cleaer when it shines into the reflector. yeah it involves drilling
Old 02-03-2004, 06:26 PM

yeah i liked the first ones better too. I got a pair of the blue ones and it was the best damn 5 dollars Ive spent in a long time. Are your new ones the black light focused leds?
Old 02-03-2004, 07:50 PM

mine no... i havent gotten to install mine yet. i just got my Plasmaglow UB kit and im installing that soon. but my hl will have a green glow
Old 02-04-2004, 12:09 AM

The old ones were inverted lenses so they shined onto the reflector. The new ones are focused so they shine down onto the road or wherever they're pointed. I have yet to come across a 4 led inverted 194 bulb, they only have single led inverted, which I see as a little too dim. I wish they would make inverted bulbs with more power, then it would make the reflector glow way better. I did not drill anything, my 194 bulbs were a direct swap in the lowbeam assembly for the driving lights. As for the high beams, they don't glow at all, thats just my flash hitting the reflectors and my OPTIX 9005 100w high beams, which have a lil blue tint. Sorry for the confusion, but those have never glowed, and as long as the warranty exists, they probably never will. They weren't black lights, they were blue, just a realllllly deep shade of it. Next pair I get are going to be some mean red or orange.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:27 PM

well u can agnle ur LED's like im doing and make em go towards the reflector for a nice reflection. u need to buy indidual leds though
Old 02-20-2004, 12:43 AM

I think im going to buy an inverted led version of the ones i have, and put the current ones in the license plate area, so i dont have the yellowish bulbs on the outside of my car.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:38 PM

you can do that. also if u guys like interior neon go cold cathoides like i have nppics yet butmy car lights up nice. OOO

and guys never tap into ur ignition wire. a guy diod that with my car for my neons and it ****s the abs up
Old 02-21-2004, 12:06 AM

you can do that. also if u guys like interior neon go cold cathoides like i have nppics yet butmy car lights up nice. OOO

and guys never tap into ur ignition wire. a guy diod that with my car for my neons and it ****s the abs up
With my last car, i just cut out the interior lighting, and replaced it with street glow in the foot wells, trunk light, etc... everywhere that had a light was replaced with some sort of neon. Even the glovebox got a taste of blue glow.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:48 PM

LOL nice. well i am particularly proud of my under dash LEDs i installed. on the driver side, i took out the piece that hold u fuse box lid on i took that out and at the bottom drilled 3 holes put nice led mounts in and then the leds and wired it all in from there, it came out really nice, and if ur looking for alittle bit of glow just enough to impress people but not to much that u cant drive, this is the way to go, and its fairly simple to install provided u have basic knowledge of leds and their reisirots wiring in parallel. im going to try and get pictures up soon, i just need a digital camera, and ill be more then welcome to make a small turoial picture set so others can follow if they want to.

im just having trouble mounting my rear cathodes under my seats i sewed thread through the seat not the leather part but the other material to hold em there, but you see the tube, and its hard to mount it under cause thers nothing there and i dont want to drilll holes any suggestions?