Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Should I part with my I30 for a Acura RSX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Should I part with my I30 for a Acura RSX?

I got a 1998 I30(automatic) and I am wondering if I should trade in my car for a RSX 5spd manual or convert my I30 to a manual and continue from their, so give some opinions people?
Old 03-18-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by PEARLYI30
I got a 1998 I30(automatic) and I am wondering if I should trade in my car for a RSX 5spd manual or convert my I30 to a manual and continue from their, so give some opinions people?
Depends what you wanna ride in man. My best friend owns a 2001 RSX Type S, bought the same year as my 2001 I30t. There are many many many more mods out there for the RSX, so if you want to customize it, then go for it, with its K20 engine. The RSX 5sp Type S puts 200hp into a car 1000lb lighter than your 190hp maxima sized luxo sedan. If you want better acceleration, go with the 5sp type S. If you want luxo, keep it with yours and do the minor mods, or slap on a super charger to get 250hp+. I personally wouldn't trade my i30t for an RSX, I mean I like the rsx and wouldn't mind having one, but if I only had one car it would be my i30...better customer service, smoother ride (sometimes), bigger car... Just my 2c
Old 03-18-2004, 11:05 PM

see thats the thing, Im 18 and I was kind of put in the situation that Im in not by choice, not that having a i30 was a bad choice because it definately wasn't, but being stuck with a loan at such a young age and cant really do that much to the car kind of suck. Like you said its so many more mods for that then the I30, plus I love manuals and I have a automatic. So Im still thinking on it.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:31 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Only if the RSX is a type S would that be an option IMO. I would still probably take an I30/Max over an RSX type S anyhow. Nothing against younger people, but it seem all the high school kids have the RSX. Although the max is getting more popular, a 5spd bolt on max is still a nice sleeper.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:15 PM
attomica

...but being stuck with a loan at such a young age and can't really do that much to the car kind of suck(s)...
Wouldn't you also "be stuck with a loan at such a young age" if you were to purchase a new RSX?

That being said, I'd say that the I30 is a great car and since you already have it, hang on to it. The RSX is okay, but it's quite a bit smaller (less practical, less safe?) and a bit cheap (compared to the I30). I dunno man, the I30 exudes class, elegance and style and the RSX seems a bit "entry level".

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 03-19-2004, 07:45 PM

see thats the thing, Im 18 and I was kind of put in the situation that Im in not by choice, not that having a i30 was a bad choice because it definately wasn't, but being stuck with a loan at such a young age and cant really do that much to the car kind of suck. Like you said its so many more mods for that then the I30, plus I love manuals and I have a automatic. So Im still thinking on it.
??? Getting a RSX is ok. There several mods for it but judging between the RSX & your I30 should be based on something more important than aftermarket parts, like getting some sure fire *****. Sure the RSX is "cool", "fast" and "moddable" but can you get laid in a car that small??? (unless your a midget, hell no) Can you impress the ladies with your dignified class and attention to style with the toy compact? (not for real) Will you really be able to trade it in over the next few years after you have made all those mods to it??? (not for full trade value) When you drive down the street with a cutie in the passenger seat, will she want to give you a ******* while your driving in a RSX??? Well.... this one can be done in either LOL

Seriously though, its all your decision. I don't know what your loan siuation is now, but unless you have equity built into the I30, trading it in for a RSX is going to be worthless. Thats like paying more dinero's for less car. (Plus paying more money for less car is really going suck when you can't afford the after market parts you want for the RSX). IMO depending on how long you have left to pay on your loan, I say save your money, finish your loan on the I30, then buy a RSX later (when used ones will be really cheaper).
That way you will have a comfortable commuter car (the I30) and a fun car to have your kicks in (RSX). That way you will have two vehicles and can keep your milage down on both.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Also one thing to keep in mind is that the rsx insurance will be higher than the i30.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:41 PM

Well see here's the story. Im 18 years old. This use to be my fathers car. My father was murdered two summers ago and my mother was like do I want the car, and if so she would help me with the payments. So of course to a 16 year old who didnt have a car and didnt know any thing about that whole loan bs, sounded pretty good. Now its like I have a nice car dont get me wrong but, you know being young you want to mod your car and all that good stuff, and that is so limited for a I30 being that it's a luxury sedan. So now its like in have about 4 years left on it, do I want to pay 4 years for this or get the car I really want and pay for that because the loan will be around the same period, probably a five year. Not to mention the car is in my mothers name because at 16 I couldnt put the car in my name, so basically me still trying to establish credit yet im paying car payments for a car that isnt even helping me, its helping my mothers credit because its in her name. I cant get the name switched to mine because they treat it as me buying a car for the first time and getting a loan, so its not as easy as it may seem to just switch the name over. So please keep all this in mind when trying to understand why I would want the rsx type s. Oh and by the way my insurance said my monthly bill would only go up $30.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:27 AM

Car Choice

Your young, there is only so much time in life, when you get a bit older get the luxury a I30, but there is a lot to be said for, something that you can go out into the garage and work on, something to take down to the drags, something that you and your friends can have fun with. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE my I30, but when I was your age I had a CRX, and one of the best times I had in life was going to my friends and having all of us working on our mods (getting drunk), and so on. Now in saying all of this the RSX aren’t rates very well in crash test so be careful, and the drags are illegal and dangerous so be careful, and make sure you can out run the cops. LOL. Well that is my opinion (just an opinion) , Sorry about your dad!
Old 03-22-2004, 03:55 PM

id make the switch

if your going to be making payments it should be something that you are very happy with and it seems you've already made up your mind on the rice burner. Don't get me wrong, when I was 18 me & my buddies all had vw' s that's all we did was mods & partyin' with the cars. Ricers have lots of little things you can do for little money, and they are more of the "Fast & Furious" scene which sounds like you want. Now I'm 33 and have the i30 because it is classy AND pretty fast for a luxury liner. I definitely get more looks in my modded i30 than any RSX ever would, but probably not from teens. If I were you I'd buy something cheaper or maybe used than an RSX and use extra money for mods, to dust everyone out on the street. Good luck bro....................
Old 03-24-2004, 03:55 AM

Well, I saw first hand the other day what happens when a RSX (called a Honda Integra here) crashes into a Corolla. As it turns out, the Corolla was a right off, the RSX had a bit of bumper damage. Unfortunately, the RSX driver was in the wrong (contained a boy racer in side oh sped up from an intersection and slammed the brakes on at the last minute at the next).

Do you really want to wear the same uniform as everyone else though? I mean sure, you'll be able to do alot more to it, but everything you do won't be different from what everyone else has done to their RSX's. At least when you do something with your I30, it'll stand out from the rest out there, resulting in more head turns, which equals more satisfaction in what you did

You're not the only 18 year old out there driving this car, I myself am 18 and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. I look forward to driving it
Old 03-24-2004, 10:36 AM

Im 19 (20 on Friday ) and I love my I30. My first car was a 91 SAAB 9000CD -still have it- and I have never really liked the small ricers. Sure they may look and sound cool, well... sometimes , but I dont like to have to scream "LOOK AT ME!!!". I think it is a lot more usefull, and fun, to have a big, comfortable car that is fast.

Plus, the I30 is plenty fast, especially when modded. I pulled an RSX-s in Anaheim, and that was stock!
Old 03-24-2004, 04:12 PM

hey what sup... u do have quite a dilema... =)... its kinda weird though cause i had the same situation except i was kinda hasty... i made the switch to the RSX. and you know fixed it up... so it was pretty cool.. but i was lucky cause my dad kept the Maxima... so it was kinda like i had both cars... but i gotta tell u... the RSX is fun to have.. although everyone here is right.. it all depends what you want in ur ride.. im only 21 so im not that far off from you... so my advice is to keep both of them... hehe.. i love chillen out in the Maxima and also showin everyone that sedans can go fast... but its fun its also fun riding in the RSX..its funny to see how everyone wants to race you... if you can keep both.. cause they are both great cars... ultimately its what u want to be seen in...
Old 03-24-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Only if the RSX is a type S would that be an option IMO. I would still probably take an I30/Max over an RSX type S anyhow. Nothing against younger people, but it seem all the high school kids have the RSX. Although the max is getting more popular, a 5spd bolt on max is still a nice sleeper.

im a senior in high school and i drive an I30. in terms of mods. there are plenty of mods and a 5 speed can be put in. i would do it but im in the city so its a ***** light to light. although i wish i could have the tranny from the fx which has the manumatic option.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:37 PM

I am sorry to admit but I would take an RSX typeS over an I30t any day.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:42 AM

Hey bro, i'm in the same situation as you. 19 and wanting a manual transmission... I would kill for an RSX type S, but it would put me too far in the hole to buy one...and i'd be **** poor after going crazy with mods *and u will because there are so many*....

Stick with the I30...try that manual swap, cuz if it works i want one too

lemme know how it goes bud
Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by MarpsI30t
Hey bro, i'm in the same situation as you. 19 and wanting a manual transmission... I would kill for an RSX type S, but it would put me too far in the hole to buy one...and i'd be **** poor after going crazy with mods *and u will because there are so many*....

Stick with the I30...try that manual swap, cuz if it works i want one too

lemme know how it goes bud

It definately works, many have done it. If you are serious about it just go to the maxima forums and you'll find all the info.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:00 AM
TheyCallMeSteel

My opinion of the Rsx is that it's a *****es car. I can not help but laugh at my friend who bought one, every time he comes up to me. The thing doesnt belong around a guy, well maybe a little guy, so I guess it suits my friend.

The aftermarket is not to bad, turbos, and so on can cost a lot, but personally if I was worried about speed, willing to spend mid 20's for a type-S, I would buy something entirely different. I'd rather have a GTi 1.8 that I can modify over an RSX. However, if I were spending 25k on a car, I go find something used that was once much more expensive. Perhaps a CL-S, etc.

RSX= ***** ride.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:18 AM

first off gqmac is on the ball today guys. second getting a gay honda puts you in a class with a whole lot of hoe cakes that nobody respects, im only 21 and dont pretend to have the answers but i will tell you that (if/when) you go to college you are going to be kicking your self that you could have a nice car but instead ended up with a 16 year olds toy. if you want a toy buy a bike, why not right, every five foot six 140 pound ****er has one now. ( not saying you are one of them, im just *****ing)
Old 03-26-2004, 08:30 PM

Hey everybody thanks for your opinions. I have made my decision to keep my car and continue with my mods. Im afraid that if I get something else I will regret getting rid of mine, especially since I would have to stay in the $15,000 price range. Id rather pay this car off and get me a 350z or something like that, but thanks everyone you all really helped me out alot. Id rather pick up hoochies then race 24-7 lol.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

good choice sticking with your I30, but for all the guys who are badmouthing the rsx, I've driven in my friends moded type s and that thing really hauls ***. If you don't over-do it with some huge ricey body kit then I think it can be a pretty cool and fun car to have...It probably wouldn't ever be too practical for me to own one though.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:53 PM

Hey I don't know if you i30 guys can swap in manuals just like max's but if so you should do it. One of my buddy's has an rsx s with dc header,and a cat back, aem intake and hindata engine managment thing, and yeah he can rev high but has no tourqe, even with those mod's I can take him. There's not a rsx in my town that I've found that can take me. Just my .02 those car's suck.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_my vq
Hey I don't know if you i30 guys can swap in manuals just like max's but if so you should do it. One of my buddy's has an rsx s with dc header,and a cat back, aem intake and hindata engine managment thing, and yeah he can rev high but has no tourqe, even with those mod's I can take him. There's not a rsx in my town that I've found that can take me. Just my .02 those car's suck.
It not just the RSX, but pretty much all Honda\Acura motors. They design them for some reason with a high rev live & high hp design. But the torque (which is responsible for helping cars start off the line) is unreasonably low to conserve fuel. Take for example the new TL, 270hp max hp at 6200rpm and 238lb for the torque with max torque at 5000rpm and it redlines 6850rpm. (thats pretty high for a luxury sedan or a sports luxury sedan.) WTF?? But thats our Honda. LOL
Old 04-02-2004, 07:36 PM

Hondas have impeccable build quality but like their motorcycles they just dont use common sense. Why in the hell would you want all your power up top. Why does the VFR (bike) VTEC kick in at the midrange while your in a curve. Why does Honda always lag behind all other manufacturers in HP and people still by them. My point is they make a great product but just screw up when it comes to engine management in the OEM department. Now racing is another story.

Sam