Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

My First Post. Just bought a '97 I30 =)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 04:49 AM

My First Post. Just bought a '97 I30 =)

Hi guys, Jason here. I just sold my 2002 Honda Civic Coupe (for $11,700) to get a cheaper, 4-door car with better insurance.

I am signing papers on a 1997 Infiniti I30 today. It's White, with 108,000 miles, beige leather interior w/ sunroof, etc. I bought the car for $6800 and bought a 3 year, unlimited mile warranty for $950. After the car, warranty, tax/title fees, my out the door price that I financed is $8315.70.

The owner is having the rear bumper repainted (it had some scratches) and the front right fog lens was busted but the part comes in today to fix that.

I take care of my cars very well. When I test drove the car it was very solid... it was idling perfect, it shifted smoothly, etc. I'd like to keep my car running like this. So, I have some questions:

(1) With 108k, what maitenence should I perform now? Do I need to find out of the timing belt has been replaced? I'll probably go ahead and change the oil / flush the radiator, but what else should I do?

(2) Also, do any of you have experience with aftermarket warranties? My warranty covers the drivetrain/powertrain, sterring, cooling, brakes, etc, etc. It has a $100 deductible and there is a process that must be followed to have everything approved.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:29 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

First off, congrats on your purchase. I just bought a 97 I30t 2 weeks ago. It is also white w/ tan interior, but mine is the "t" trim and has a 5-speed.

When first buying the car, I always change the oil. You might as well switch to synthetic now, if you ever plan to do so. Also, a tranny and radiator flush are a good idea. Also, have the car checked out for brake line pressure/leaks.

The maxima/i30 does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain, which typically outlasts the rest of the motor- and the car!

The fuel filter is most likely due for a replacement, if it was not done @ 90K. It is a simple procedure and the filter is fairly inexpensive. Ask the owner when the plugs were last changed, and wityh what brand. The VQ (the engine in our cars) runs best on NGK plugs, and most of us use Platinum NGK plugs. They are good fro 60K, but cost abotu $40-50 for the set. It is a worthwhile investment. The copper NGK will also work, but must be replaced @ 30K intervals.

Your throttle body may need a cleaning, and you might want to consider a fuel system cleaning (just the dump-in stuff off the shelf), especially if the car was run on 87 or 89 octane gas by the previous owner.

That is all that I can think of now. Post other questions here, and welcome to the family!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:44 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Welcome. the above info is correct and have fun with your new car
Old 03-31-2004, 06:55 AM

Woo hoo! Welcome! It seems that more and more people are purchasing I30s...get ready to mod that car. There are lots of parts finally coming our way!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:07 AM

I just changed my plugs at 61k miles. I had NGK platinums (OEM) in there before. I put in NGK Iridium plugs. They were 6.90 each. Well worth it.

The car just runs so much smoother. Iridiums are supposed to last as long as platinums so hopefully these last another 60,000. By then I figure I can probably find a used 350Z for a decent price.

:thumbs:
Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
I just changed my plugs at 61k miles. I had NGK platinums (OEM) in there before. I put in NGK Iridium plugs. They were 6.90 each. Well worth it.

The car just runs so much smoother. Iridiums are supposed to last as long as platinums so hopefully these last another 60,000. By then I figure I can probably find a used 350Z for a decent price.

:thumbs:
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Especially for the post with all the info about changing the oil, tranny flush, etc. I have my TO DO list now =)

Anyone have experience with this warranty company? I trust the car is a good one, the interior is basically perfect and the car ran great... it just has no maitenence at all. I was looking at Maximas and then stumbled on this car, and started to realize that Infinitis have 70k mile power train warranties and are generally purchased by older people with more money, than say, a person who buys a Toyota Corolla, so the car has probably been taken care of.

I'll do the stuff on my list and take care of her. I want her to last about 5-10 years.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:04 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Colossus
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Especially for the post with all the info about changing the oil, tranny flush, etc. I have my TO DO list now =)

Anyone have experience with this warranty company? I trust the car is a good one, the interior is basically perfect and the car ran great... it just has no maitenence at all. I was looking at Maximas and then stumbled on this car, and started to realize that Infinitis have 70k mile power train warranties and are generally purchased by older people with more money, than say, a person who buys a Toyota Corolla, so the car has probably been taken care of.

I'll do the stuff on my list and take care of her. I want her to last about 5-10 years.
Just get all of the intervals from the previous owner. Also, as what grade of gas he/she ran in it.

If you need part #s for the replacement parts, let us know- we can help you out even if search is down. Also, go to the 4th gen page and read the stickies at the top. They have a lot of info about regular maintainence and basic questions.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:32 AM

Actually, I do know of a part I'll be needing: one of the letters that spell out "I N F I N I T Y" on the back. I'm missing the 2nd silver "I". Where could I find something like this? It's only worth a couple bucks to me.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:33 AM

I meant to end infiniti with a "I" , not "Y", sorry =)
Old 03-31-2004, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
First off, congrats on your purchase. I just bought a 97 I30t 2 weeks ago. It is also white w/ tan interior, but mine is the "t" trim and has a 5-speed.

Your throttle body may need a cleaning, and you might want to consider a fuel system cleaning (just the dump-in stuff off the shelf), especially if the car was run on 87 or 89 octane gas by the previous owner.

That is all that I can think of now. Post other questions here, and welcome to the family!
Is it advisable to use those off-the-shelf fuel system cleaners ? If so, what brand suits I30 better. Thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Actually, I do know of a part I'll be needing: one of the letters that spell out "I N F I N I T Y" on the back. I'm missing the 2nd silver "I". Where could I find something like this? It's only worth a couple bucks to me.
Junkyard is the best bet.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:07 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by flthere
Is it advisable to use those off-the-shelf fuel system cleaners ? If so, what brand suits I30 better. Thanks
Results are mixed on that. Some people have had problems with the CEL right after using it (myself included), but 99% of users have no problems. I used Techron all of the time in my maxima w/ no problems, but as soon as I used it in tthe I30 the CEL came on. I do NOT think that it is from the fuel cleaner, though, because I reset the CEL after refilling the tank and it came back a few days later. I reset it again after fillign up again, and it is back on.

I think that you will be fine, as most users are. I recommend Techron, despite my CEL. Again, I stress that I think that the CEL was a coincidence and that there is no correlatin between the two events, though some other people say that they got a CEL from Techron.

In other cases, it was re-set and went away, though.

If you want to use other treatments, any brand of fuel system or fuel injector cleaner should be fine.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:29 AM

Hm, I don't like assuming, but I don't believe any junk yards in my area will have 95+ Infiniti I30s with the lettering on the back. I could be wrong, but I guess I can call the local Infiniti dealer to see how much they would charge for all new lettering.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:45 AM

Hm, I don't like assuming, but I don't believe any junk yards in my area will have 95+ Infiniti I30s with the lettering on the back. I could be wrong, but I guess I can call the local Infiniti dealer to see how much they would charge for all new lettering.
IIRC the dealer wanted $50 or $60 for the whole strip. They won't sell just one letter. I have an extra "i", PM me you address and you can have it.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by flthere
I have used seafoam before but don't know if it made much of a difference or not. The only reason I would ever use one is if I thought my injector was clogged or something along those lines.