Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2000 I30t buying advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 I30t buying advice needed

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a 2000 I30t, and have a couple questions. First off, I know that these cars tend to be extremely reliable, but are there any I30-specific potential trouble spots I should pay extra attention to when looking? And second, do any of you have a ballpark estimate of what I should pay for one with about 50K (give or take 5000 miles) on it? Any answers will be greatly appreciated-- as will any other miscellaneous tips anyone has.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:11 PM

I bought my 2k almost a year ago and i love it. I payed about $19,000 before tax and the car had 18k miles. I think I got a pretty good deal because the car was also in perfect condition, except for a big scratch on the fender, which I had them fix as a condition to buying the car.

Like I said the car has beem great! the only problems I have had are:

-The tranny started to shift very slowly from 1 to 2. There is a TSB out on this, an it was fixed under warrantee.

-Also the ignition coils are fussy with the 2000s. I had mine replaced (under warrantee) with a newer version that work better.

Other than that there have only been a couple of rattles, the last of which I will be able to fix soon because I finnaly found where it was comming from. Although the dealer has been very helpful, they dont seem to do well with rattles.

Price wise i would say you should be able to find one in good condition from between $17 and $20k. I have seen some 2001s with 50K (or so) miles for around $23k. This is also in CA so they may be a little less depending on where you are.

I hope this was of use, and you find a car you love. Im sure you will.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:56 AM
attomica

I got my 2000 "T" about eight months ago. It had 55,000 miles and cost a mere $13,900. It was in perfect shape and the only issue I had to field was new tires. The remaining warrantee was helpful in replacing the dash clock and climate control illumination...that's it.

During my research about the I30, prior to getting it, I never came upon any specific issue for which this car is known to suffer. That said a lot to me because I spend hours on the 'net, looking at anything I can find. Look at www.carreview.com. It's a great site where random individuals across the globe can submit their own reviews on a huge selection of products, including cars. Not many people had bad things to say about the I30, unlike, say, the Acura TL where nearly every review commented on the transmission replacement they've had to do or are dreading.

The 60K mile service is a must-do item, so don't let it slip. Be aware that it cost quite a bit, though. It was $825 for me, but did include the transmission service. Other than the minor things I mentioned, I've had zero mechanical issues and I don't expect any to arise for a long time because I'm diligent about service and maintenance.

I painted my brake calipers with silver epoxy paint (they were all rusty and ugly) and it was a snap. While I had things diassembled, I saw that servicing the brakes will be an easy job when it's needed.

I think if you just keep it clean and service it when you're supposed to, you'll be quite happy with the 2000 "T".

Old 06-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got it!

Thanks to both of you for your help! After reading your posts, I headed out today to check out 4 different 2000 "T"s in my area and, after seeing and driving them all, picked a dark green one with 42,000 miles on it for about $15,200. The car is flawless in and out, and has heated seats and traction control (musts in Chicago). My 1989 Taurus SHO can now go into well-deserved semi-retirement I'll miss my manual transmission, but other than that... this car is close to perfect! Thanks again to both of you....
Old 06-04-2004, 08:08 AM

Is the car stock? I guess we live quite near to each other :-)
Old 06-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by flthere
Is the car stock? I guess we live quite near to each other :-)
Yep, it's stock. (I've been trying to get a good pic with my digital camera, but it's hard to capture the green color. It's a nice dark mossy green, but it seems to show up grey no matter what I do.)

And hey, you are only a little ways north of me! I actually bought the car in Northfield, which I'm pretty sure is just a half hour or so south of Waukegan. May I ask whether you have a mechanic or dealership in the area whom you trust for regular service on your I30?