Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

99 I30 Coil Pak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 I30 Coil Pak

I have a '99 I30 w/ 38k (wife's) that I think has a coil pak going out. I took it to AutoZone and they connected a anylizer but I don't remember the code numbers because they ran through fast and didn't give them to me.

They said the 1st code was for and o2 sensor (probably ok) and the second was for a coil pak (probably causing the o2 sensor code)

They said I need to replace ALL six coil paks because they couldn't determain which was bad, they also said that when one goes the others are not far behind. I asked why I couldn't buy one each for the left and right bank and swap them out untill I found the bad one. They said they didn't want me to do that.

My mistake was letting them reset the codes because when I went down the street to Advance Auto and asked the manager about his thoughts. He showed me in a Chilton's book that if they had read the codes right it would have told me which coil pak was bad and I could have easily istalled it in less time then it took for me to check my tire pressure (of-course nobody has them in stock)

Any way, I have been driving around for the last two days trying to get the check engine light to come back on but she is just running great . . . what's the deal?

1. did simply reseting the codes fix it?

2. will it take more then 100-150 miles for me to get the check eng light to re-light?

3. is there a 'suspect' coil pak that goes back most often, ie fire wall drivers side?

BTW, I intend on selling the car in the next month or two so I don't want to drop to much $$$ in her . . . . we'll be getting a new G35x
Old 06-27-2004, 01:42 PM

It's NOT a coil pack. You have dirty fuel injectors that are causing lean misfires that freak out the ECU to think it's a coil pack or 02 Sensor.

Go to NAPA auto (Not autozone) and buy some Seafoam for $6. Add one can to your gas tank and fill it up. Don't fill it again until you have less than 1/4 tank.
This should resolve the problem unless you actually have an injector failing.
If so, it will happen within a few hundred miles and be very easy to find which one failed.

It's also a good idea to put a can of seafoam in your oil. It helps get rid of a lot of blow by crap that causes carbon buildup in your cylinders.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the quick reply maximomo!

I'll go by a NAPA tomorrow and pick up a can or two and give it a try . . . well worth $6 to go
Old 06-27-2004, 04:26 PM

Yeah, even if it is a coil pack the $6 won't go to waste!

btw, if it is a coil pack you can find it with an ohmmeter OR you CAN just buy one coil pack and start rotating them around until you find the one that is bad.
Chances are pretty good it's NOT a coil pack tho!
Old 06-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

did the seafoam thing yet the code came back today . . . the folks at autozone wrote down the wrong code before, it wasn't 132 it's

P1320 Igniition Signal Primary Circuit Fault

The car is running fine right now though. I checked around and couldn't find any books that descuss what to do with this code. I don't really want to take a trip to the 'stealership' but feel like it is the easiest way (although expensive) way out

any ideas?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:19 PM

Ignition primary fault? Hmm... could be a bad coil pack. I still hesitate to say it is.
The ignition primary is essentially the 12v power and ground supplying the coils.

Nissans (sorry, Infinity's)are well known for flaky electrical connections.
If it was my car I'd clean the ground connections on the intake plenum (upper manifold) by the front injectors. Then unhook all of the coils and put some vaseline on the connectors. But sometimes I do things the hard way cause I'm cheap.

I'll look in my Haynes manual and see if it gives any better troubleshooting tips.
If it IS a coil pack you should be able to find it with an ohmeter.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by maximomo
It's NOT a coil pack. You have dirty fuel injectors that are causing lean misfires that freak out the ECU to think it's a coil pack or 02 Sensor.

Go to NAPA auto (Not autozone) and buy some Seafoam for $6. Add one can to your gas tank and fill it up. Don't fill it again until you have less than 1/4 tank.
This should resolve the problem unless you actually have an injector failing.
If so, it will happen within a few hundred miles and be very easy to find which one failed.

It's also a good idea to put a can of seafoam in your oil. It helps get rid of a lot of blow by crap that causes carbon buildup in your cylinders.

How do you know he has dirty fuel injectors? 99's are known to have coil pack problems.

If your not getting any codes at the moment I would let it go until the problem comes back. I had a terrible misfire for 2 days one time....has not happend in almost a year.

If it makes you feel better you can check all the injectors voltage readings, coil packs ohm reading and pull the plugs to see how the look.