Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Looks like shocks are shot

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:45 PM

Looks like shocks are shot

I am almost sure that my car's front shocks are shot ... but not 100% sure ... what will happen when they or one of them is 100% shot ?!? How long can I wait on them ???

I don't have enuf money to invest all at a time on the shocks ... as well, i was thinking of lowering it and hence buy springs and shocks so, for the mean time, can i go look for stock shocks from junkyard ?!?!?!?!? my prelim analysis puts the cost of the proj at around $600 ... i probably can do it over a period of 3 months ... i guess that value doesn't include labor charges

thx for suggestions ... looking forward to advices from yall ...

p.s: I checked the shocks today for any leaks or something but they look okk except that the rubber covers around them are torn ...

i won't ask for the right combo of shocks n springs ... i've already gone thru tens of threads in 4th gen and here
Old 09-21-2004, 08:12 PM

bump .. bummp ...
Old 09-21-2004, 09:09 PM

quick question ... can i do the front ones now and rear later ?!? I guess I can buy the full set of Eibach springs now which is around $200 ... and can buy front shocks, may be AGX ..

But then, the front will be lower while the rear will be tall, will that look good and be a comfy drive ?!?

Goooddd! why is suspension sooo costly!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 AM

It sounds like your dust boots are torn, so some dirt or something has probably gotten into the strut. This will cause the seal on the strut to fail. I could tell mine was blown because it was leaking oil. I don't know how your financial situation is, but it would be a good idea to replace the shocks and struts. The only thing that will probably happen, is your tires will eventually "cup". You'll have some uneven wearing, but, you can still drive your car.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

With 106k miles they are at the least weak and soft. You will notice a difference with new ones

There is no major concern to have with blown struts, the ride will just be unforgiving and handleing will suffer. It can also cause your tires to chop as well.

Do not buy struts from a junk yard

Do you plan to do the install or pay to have it done? That makes a big difference on the way to go about replacing the parts.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:30 AM

Thanks Mike and Asian for your advice. I think I'm just heading in the right direction of selecting Eibach and GR2s.

I will not get the shocks from junkyard. I don't think I can risk getting things done by myself as I don't have any equipment, so gotta get it done somewhere after I buy parts online.

I guess stock I30s don't have struts but have shocks + springs. I understand that struts are pretty costly. But if I am not wrong, will it not be advisable to buy two struts for the front as the rear is good ?!?

One last question ... Do they do something like reconditioning of shocks anywhere ?!?

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by flthere
Thanks Mike and Asian for your advice. I think I'm just heading in the right direction of selecting Eibach and GR2s.

I will not get the shocks from junkyard. I don't think I can risk getting things done by myself as I don't have any equipment, so gotta get it done somewhere after I buy parts online.

I guess stock I30s don't have struts but have shocks + springs. I understand that struts are pretty costly. But if I am not wrong, will it not be advisable to buy two struts for the front as the rear is good ?!?

One last question ... Do they do something like reconditioning of shocks anywhere ?!?

Thanks again.

Hey, if you want to do the install I will give you a hand. I have done it twice on my car.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
With 106k miles they are at the least weak and soft. You will notice a difference with new ones

There is no major concern to have with blown struts, the ride will just be unforgiving and handleing will suffer. It can also cause your tires to chop as well.

Do not buy struts from a junk yard

Do you plan to do the install or pay to have it done? That makes a big difference on the way to go about replacing the parts.
Wow, that's on f*ckin point. I ended up having to go to a Pep Boys at 7 in the morning to see WTF was wrong with my car. It was pulling like CRAZY, and it was shaking in unbelievable amounts especially if goin 60 on the Parkway (I thought I was going to die, seriously) So, they lifted it up and my tires, picture the tire divided by a middle thread/line and the inner side of each front wheel was almost down to the rim. You should have seen my face, as well as the others.

So I proceeded to put new cheap Pep Boy tires on, being I don't got rims and aligned it and everything. Well, seems to be that the alignment is already off again and it was no more than a month ago and I mean I hit pot holes, but I avoid every and anything unless it's an area I don't know at night and hit a couple.

Now, all I should do is replace my struts or what? Should I do springs too? My friend will be doin it, so he wont be chargin me, but I throw him money anyway. Also, I need Strut Bearings too because I get a clicking sound when goin in tight, slow circles and hear a clicking/popping noise. I wonder if that has anything to do with this as well. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:51 PM

thx mike for the helping hand ... i'm on the lookout for front struts ... once i get them, i'll be glad to come n take ur help btw, i do come to aurora every month

dumb question but need to ask ... we don't need springs if we buy struts, isn't that true ?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by flthere
thx mike for the helping hand ... i'm on the lookout for front struts ... once i get them, i'll be glad to come n take ur help btw, i do come to aurora every month

dumb question but need to ask ... we don't need springs if we buy struts, isn't that true ?

you need springs no matter what. The difference between shocks and struts is that struts are load bearing and shocks are not. If a car has shocks it can still be driven with them although it will be bouncy. If the car has struts it cannot be driven with out them, they actually hold the weight of the car.

The best thing to do if your on a budget is get new shocks and used springs. You can find brand new KYB GR-2's on ebay for about $200. Then get some used lowering springs in the FS forums. Usually Eibachs or H&R go for about $100-$150 depending on the mileage. Install them yourself for free and you can do it for about $350. It's a good idea to do the dust boots and strut bearings at the same times as well, which will add about another $100.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:29 PM

Hey Mike,
Do you think the GR-2's will last better than the Tokico HP's? I have been shopping around some struts for my ride. Right now I have H&R on stock
Old 09-23-2004, 12:57 PM

What do you think of Tokico Illuminas because I've been pretty set on gettin those. Also, is there that big a difference between H & R's and Tokico Springs ridewise? Or OEM Maxima SE Springs, do they ride ALOT smoother than H & R's and Tokicos or nobody knows. I'm trying to keep as much of a stock like ride without being stock, since I need to change them anyway. I'm also planning on puttin 19's on.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kingpin
Hey Mike,
Do you think the GR-2's will last better than the Tokico HP's? I have been shopping around some struts for my ride. Right now I have H&R on stock

I have had both GR-2's and HP's. For a lowerd car you don't want to go with HP's, they are too soft of a strut and will blow sooner than most others.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:40 PM

Thanks...gonna go with the Illuminas...gotta find a group deal!
K
Old 09-23-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by kingpin
Thanks...gonna go with the Illuminas...gotta find a group deal!
K
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=292713&page=1
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

My take on the whole thing is similar to what Mike said: Get new struts and used springs, and replace the strut bearings and probably the dust boota as well. Dust boots are not a necessity, btu the bearings are.

For about $100, you can get springs, plus $100 for maintainence parts. Then $200-ish for the struts and you are good for another 100K.

By the way, if you are looking for cheap springs that have a nice-looking drop, I am selling mine. I can do $100 shipped to you. THey are Intrax. See my homepage for pics. I am selling because I am going to a higher suspension setup due to HUGE speedbumps in my townhouse complex and constant construction in the area.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
Also, I need Strut Bearings too because I get a clicking sound when goin in tight, slow circles and hear a clicking/popping noise. I wonder if that has anything to do with this as well. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
While you should replace your strut bearings regardless, you might want to get your CV joints checked out.

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I have had both GR-2's and HP's. For a lowerd car you don't want to go with HP's, they are too soft of a strut and will blow sooner than most others.
I would not run HPs in the front, but I LOVED them with H&Rs in the rear.

Also, for $160 shipped you can get the buttery softness of Illuminas. I have them in the rear with AGX up front.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is a better deal for Illuminas going on right now for 408 Shipped!!
Check out the group deal section.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by PLUMMAXSE
There is a better deal for Illuminas going on right now for 408 Shipped!!
Check out the group deal section.
Wow, that is a great deal