Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Do I need to panic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:35 AM

Do I need to panic?

Today my exhaust gave up, it's half broken were the mufler bolts up to the B pipe. Now my mufler hangs loose en rattles like ****, no panic there yet...

But I also get this weird noise when I shift (5 speed manual), now I found out when I push the shifter left or right, with the clutch floored ofcourse there is this grinding noise, like I push the shifter's bottom to something rotating and it scrapes against it. Could this be some piping of the exhaust that is pushed to something moving by the bottom of the shifter? Or do I need to panic now?

Greetings, Mitch
Old 11-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Could very well just the piping hitting the shifter.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Thanx mike! I checked it out with a flash light just a few minutes ago, and it seems that the cat it's heatshield is hitting my shifter feel much more t comfort now I know what it is.

It's a ***** however, I just got new tires because I needed them to pass our yearly based government checkup... I wasn't to happy with it cuz I was saving up money to get the car lowered and could slam 19 inch wheels beneath her... wasn't gonna happen anytime soon because of that... Now, this comes too, and I don't have enough money left to import me a nice cattman exhaust, so I'll have to settle with a imitation fabricate from the original exhaust... things are not going smooth for me this year... When I have to change something cuzz it's broken, I normaly put an upgrade part in it's place... but my financial reserves needed for that doesn't get the chance to grow to the needed quota
Old 11-16-2004, 04:39 AM

Exhaust is replaced, tranny problem remains, what really scared the **** out of me is that when my car was on the lift to fix the exhaust, I saw transmission oil leaking out of my tranny on the place were it's bolt up to the block I'm screwed, ain't I... maybe it's getting time for a new car... this thing just stays bugging me with one problem after another
Old 11-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by v6maximus
Exhaust is replaced, tranny problem remains, what really scared the **** out of me is that when my car was on the lift to fix the exhaust, I saw transmission oil leaking out of my tranny on the place were it's bolt up to the block I'm screwed, ain't I... maybe it's getting time for a new car... this thing just stays bugging me with one problem after another
Was it gear oil or engine oil? Gear oil smells like cat p!ss, a very unique and nasty smell. Because of the area you described, it sounds like your rear main seal is leaking. It is typical of most cars these days. There is just no way that seal can hold up forever with that thing spining so fast in there!

When I do my manual swap, I plan on replacing that seal. Keep us informed!