Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

99 i30 Airbag light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Cant..leave..the..ORG!!

99 i30 Airbag light on

A friend of mine at work has a 99 i30 and he just failed inspection becuase his airbag light has been blinking since he "bumped a curb" with just his tires. (His words...beats me).
apparently this has been doing it for awhile now but is there anyway to reset the thing. I guessed he talked to someone and they are telling him its like 2 grand to replace some sensor that is supposed to be bad, so he has just lived with the blinking light.
Anyway thanks for any help!!
Old 12-16-2004, 05:39 PM

had the same prob(but i didnt hit anything LOL) just hit the little button in the door jam that triggers the interior lights when the door is oppend i think 6 times wiht in 10 seconds and you should be good, im not 100% if its only 6 times tho
Old 12-17-2004, 12:33 AM

It happened on my 99 i30 too. Read the codes and it told me my driver's side, side air bag was bad. Looked under and it turned out my air bag wires were crimped from something pushing against it. Check underneath the seats and reset, (press the door trigger 5 times within 10 seconds of putting the key in on position(this will also give you the error code)). The air bag wires and connectors will be in yellow or have yellow loom (industry standard).
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM

FYI, the airbag system is covered under power train (look in the factory manual) so he may still be under warranty for a free repair. I had the same problem and got it fix for free earlier this year.... and a G35 loaner for a day

I have a '98 with 55K when brought in. The repair slip indicated a malfunctioned solenoid.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 i30 Airbag light on

Originally Posted by SeOh2mAx
A friend of mine at work has a 99 i30 and he just failed inspection becuase his airbag light has been blinking since he "bumped a curb" with just his tires. (His words...beats me).
apparently this has been doing it for awhile now but is there anyway to reset the thing. I guessed he talked to someone and they are telling him its like 2 grand to replace some sensor that is supposed to be bad, so he has just lived with the blinking light.
Anyway thanks for any help!!
I found this on the net and it work for me:
I have a 98 and the air bag light used to blink as well. I took it to the dealer and they said the passenger airbag sensor was faulty and claimed they would need to replace the airbag and the sensor. They quoted me $500CAD installed. They told me it wouldn't deploy on it's own, like if I went over a hard bump so I didn't really bother to pay up for the repair. However, I found out how to reset the light.

Before we start, look at the ignition cylinder (where you put in the key), there are numbers and names for all the positions. Like (3) says ON, and as you see, there isn't a number between the LOC and ACC position. Lets call this the (1) position. Ok, open the door and you'll see a little black switch on the inside part of the car, it's where the door connects when you close it. Every time you close the door, it pushes this switch down and when you open the door, the switch causes the inside door lights to illuminate. When the switch is pushed down, the door lights cease to illuminate. Found it? Ok, here we go:

-While the car is off, open the door, and turn the key to the (3) position and press the door side switch at LEAST 5 times within 7 seconds (personally, I just kept pushing the switch as many times as I could during 7 seconds)
-After doing that, wait one second
-Now move the key to the (1) position (between LOCK & Accessory)
-Close the door, move the key back to the LOCK position and then start the engine

If you timed it correctly, then the light should remain off

If it's still on, might want to try it again. If it still doesn't work, then it's definitely a problem with the airbag module.
What I did was gently touch the wires under the passenger seat. One of the wires was for the airbag sensor. I guess when the wire was touched out of place, it triggered the light, so I just fiddled with it, then I tried the reset trick and it worked for me.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:23 AM

Maybe offtopic but ...

Originally Posted by talisman311
.... press the door trigger 5 times within 10 seconds of putting the key in on position(this will also give you the error code.....

Is the error code the same what you get by turning the screw on the ECU ?!? Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Donating i30 Owner

.. i thought it was 5 times within 7 seconds.. heh mine just did this last week.. and i reset it at the workshop free of charge... liske most of my mechanical work.. hehehe
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM

I also have a 99 I30 and the airbag light has been flashing since I've owned the car (a year or so). I found this post about 6 months ago and tried it and the light went off. Well about a month ago the light came back on after i vacuumed the car ( i guess i hit the wires under the drivers side seat which set off the sensor again) so today i tried this again but the light is now flashing slower and less steady than last time? anyone else have this happen to them or know what this means?

Before the light was blinking at a steady and some what fast pace. now it blinks steady for a few seconds then goes off for about 3-5 seconds then comes back on and repeats. Any ideas???
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Works for me

Ual, I'm glad that this quote worked for me Today 08/29/12. One try then all set and done, no problems. Thank you.

Originally Posted by vergo
I found this on the net and it work for me:
I have a 98 and the air bag light used to blink as well. I took it to the dealer and they said the passenger airbag sensor was faulty and claimed they would need to replace the airbag and the sensor. They quoted me $500CAD installed. They told me it wouldn't deploy on it's own, like if I went over a hard bump so I didn't really bother to pay up for the repair. However, I found out how to reset the light.

Before we start, look at the ignition cylinder (where you put in the key), there are numbers and names for all the positions. Like (3) says ON, and as you see, there isn't a number between the LOC and ACC position. Lets call this the (1) position. Ok, open the door and you'll see a little black switch on the inside part of the car, it's where the door connects when you close it. Every time you close the door, it pushes this switch down and when you open the door, the switch causes the inside door lights to illuminate. When the switch is pushed down, the door lights cease to illuminate. Found it? Ok, here we go:

-While the car is off, open the door, and turn the key to the (3) position and press the door side switch at LEAST 5 times within 7 seconds (personally, I just kept pushing the switch as many times as I could during 7 seconds)
-After doing that, wait one second
-Now move the key to the (1) position (between LOCK & Accessory)
-Close the door, move the key back to the LOCK position and then start the engine

If you timed it correctly, then the light should remain off

If it's still on, might want to try it again. If it still doesn't work, then it's definitely a problem with the airbag module.
What I did was gently touch the wires under the passenger seat. One of the wires was for the airbag sensor. I guess when the wire was touched out of place, it triggered the light, so I just fiddled with it, then I tried the reset trick and it worked for me.