Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Drivability, transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:58 PM

Drivability, transmission?

G'day we have a 1989 I30 and latey when starting from a light or a stop it feels like the tranny is slipping, the car has gone to the local dealer hear but they are saying it just needed oil in the trans..I dispute this as it had been in there shop more that twice and they have not been able to find what it is..

I was wondering if there is any one on here that has had this happen to them with the car not wanting to go them it jurks into gear and and takes off? any help on this would be good as it could not be good for the car...

Thanks in advance for your time.....
Old 12-20-2004, 05:28 PM

Is it like you give it gas and it doesn't go anywhere for a few seconds, or is it that you give it gas and it accelerates, and then seems to accelerate a little faster after a very subtle jolt? If it is the latter, I've experienced that for as long as I can remember. Other than that, I suppose it could be your transmission -- how many miles are on the car?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:33 PM

there is 45000 miles on the car and it started after the 30000 mile service it has been to Infiniti more that three times and they are unable to tell me what the problem is?...
Old 01-10-2005, 06:00 PM

I have a 1996 I30 and what infintishock described about the giving it gas and it not going anywhere for a few seconds is the issue that I have sometimes. I have over 150K on my car though. My car will jerk from 1st to second gear for the first 10 minutes or so of starting the car in the morning. Sometimes, if I break and then need to accelerate fast, I get the press the gas and dont go anywhere for a few seconds thing. I have been told that this is normal on our cars although with only 45K on your car, I wouldnt think you would have to deal with these issues yet.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you buddy, but you are not alone.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by ÀÜSSÎË
G'day we have a 1989 I30 and latey when starting from a light or a stop it feels like the tranny is slipping, the car has gone to the local dealer hear but they are saying it just needed oil in the trans..I dispute this as it had been in there shop more that twice and they have not been able to find what it is..

I was wondering if there is any one on here that has had this happen to them with the car not wanting to go them it jurks into gear and and takes off? any help on this would be good as it could not be good for the car...

Thanks in advance for your time.....
If it is slipping you have 3 options:

1. rebuild it
2. replace the tranny with a used or new one
3. convert to 5 speed

Adding oil might help, but doubt it. Unfortately when a tranny starts to slip, it usually means death at some point.