Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:23 PM

Extended Warranty?

I recently bought a 2001 I30 with about 35K miles on it and about 8 months of factory warranty left from a used car dealer. Is it a good idea to get extended warranty? If so, would it be better to get the warranty from Infiniti or the one sold by the used car dealer or some online ones?

Here are the various options:

1. Infiniti Warranty: Essentially covers everything including a loaner car when I take it for repairs. Costs $2072 for 60 months/60000 miles

2. Warranty provided by the used car dealer: The warranty is through Ultimate Warranty Corp. It covers a lot of things and just lists certain exclusions. Costs $1460 for 84 months/95000 miles

3. Warranty Direct(www.warrantydirect.com): Has decent coverage with certain limitations. But does only 4 years/65000 miles for $1360. I prefer 5 years.

What do you guys suggest? Any experience with either of the last 2 options(Ultimate and Warranty Direct). Am assuming the Inifiniti one would be the best, but it's $$$.

Thanks for your input and any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

-R
Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 AM

does the infinity warranty have a deducatable?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by roofadoofalus
does the infinity warranty have a deducatable?
Am pretty sure none of the above have a deductible. My understanding was that it's $0.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:32 AM

well do you expect to have 2 grand worth of repairs happen in the next 5 years? do you plan on driving the vehicle for another 60k? if the answer to both questions is yes, then you should get the warranty. if you answer either question no, it will probably be a waste of money
Old 02-15-2005, 08:27 AM

I definitely plan to drive this car for the next 60K. I don't know if I can expect 2k worth of repairs in the next 5 years! But thinking about all the things this car has-power everything, memory seats, potential problems with A/C made etc., me wonder if it's worth it.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:03 PM

Its worth it, trust me. I bought my I35 used (well it was a car that someone leased and brought it back within 6 months of leasing it). It has been a learning experience as I am now spoiled by the Infiniti TLC experience. I have never in my life owned a vehicle where the car is warrantied regardless where its purchased from (CPO or not). Its absolutely great. Since owning my car, I have had 3 head units installed, rattles, pings, creeks, thuds, squels, and knocks taken care of, a pwr seat motor replaced, and recalibration done on the ECU to deal with the lag at 2500 rpm, 3 recalls which exposed other problems, and a new OEM rim provided because there was a slow leak that could not be fixed. Had I not been able to use the warranty, I would have paid well over $8,000 in parts and labor. (each h.u. is roughly $2000 and the wheel was $350).

If I am not mistakened, I believe Infiniti will sell you there extended warranty (whether you bought the car from a CPO dealer or not.) Check with your local Infiniti dealer to find out for sure.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:25 PM
attomica

I think you should definitely spring for the Infiniti warranty. I bought my 2000 I30t with about six month's worth of remaining time. During that time, I had a couple smaller things like the dash clock addressed. Shortly after the warranty ended, though, more expensive stuff started to happen. I had to have two of the four O2 sensors replaced for a bit over $500. Then the MAF crapped out. It woulda been another $500, but I fixed it myself for $300 savings. Still cost me $100 for the dealer's diagnostic and another $100 for the part. Now, I have a SES light on and a P0420 trouble code. I bought this car to replace my Mazda RX-7. That RX-7 was a rock compared to this I30. I never dreamed an Infiniti would be so problematic. I mean, I love the I30, but getting the extended warranty would have been a smart move.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:51 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. Am finding it difficult to convince my wife to spend the additional $2000:-( I called A Nissan dealter and he said he has 5 years/60k miles for 1495 with a $50 deductible. I don't know which one is a better option-Infiniti's or Nissan's. Do you guys think it's a good idea to get it through a Nissan dealer?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:22 AM

Well either one is better than the remaining stock. LOL But seriously, I would recommend going with the Infiniti Extended Warranty. Why you ask??? The Infiniti coverage does not require a deductible and is the close program to the original warranties coverage. (including power train, electronics, suspension, brakes, body, chassis, interior, etc.) If I am not mistakened the Infiniti warrty also gives you an extra year\12000 miles leaving you covered up to 110,000 miles.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by gqmac2
If I am not mistakened the Infiniti warrty also gives you an extra year\12000 miles leaving you covered up to 110,000 miles.
I don't know about this one. Have to check the brochure they sent me. All they said was the extended warranty is for 5 years/60k miles. Didn't talk about the additional year/miles.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:20 AM

im contemplating this as well. check other threads, someone mentioned that the 'problem' with the infiniti warranty is that the dealers are reluctant to do warranty work. in addition, there was an issue raised because some warranties will deny a claim depending on whether the part failed due to normal wear or failure. because of these issues, i still havent purchased either. most in that thread leaned toward aftermarket warranties because you ccould take your car anywhere among other things
Old 02-21-2005, 12:09 PM
attomica

Originally Posted by sshocker96
im contemplating this as well. check other threads, someone mentioned that the 'problem' with the infiniti warranty is that the dealers are reluctant to do warranty work. in addition, there was an issue raised because some warranties will deny a claim depending on whether the part failed due to normal wear or failure. because of these issues, i still havent purchased either. most in that thread leaned toward aftermarket warranties because you ccould take your car anywhere among other things
Bah. If you shelled out for an extended Infiniti warranty, any Infiniti dealer should honor it. I can't imagine a circumstance where a dealer would deny warranty coverage for anything that's listed under the warranty's specs. If I ever encountered that, there would be some drama.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Well, my experience with posting here and reading some of the other car forums is that it's always better to get the manufacturer backed warranty. I finally took the Infiniti warranty for 5 years/60K miles.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by attomica
I can't imagine a circumstance where a dealer would deny warranty coverage for anything that's listed under the warranty's specs.
maybe i wasnt clear. i didnt mean to say that infiniti wouldnt honor the warranty, i was under the impression that the dealer was trying to convince owners that either parts were not faulty (nothing wrong) or that they worn out (normal use) as oppossed to being defective.

i hope that made sense.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:00 PM

Infiniti has always been great to me. If I have any little problems I take it in, they fix it, give me a g35, and wash/vac my car.

I love Infiniti service.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:38 AM

isn't powertrain 70,000 miles?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by rattili
Well, my experience with posting here and reading some of the other car forums is that it's always better to get the manufacturer backed warranty. I finally took the Infiniti warranty for 5 years/60K miles.
Hey rattli, the warranty that you purchased, is it a genuine Infiniti warranty or third party. I am picking up my I35 today and the Infiniti Canada rep I spoke to stated if the car was brand new, then I can get extended warranty through them. However, since it is used, the infiniti dealers up here all go through third party ( probably to make more profit ) . I think this is BS but I am going to call Infiniti Canada again to make sure I am not getting screwed.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by rattili

I've got the same question as Uber-Oakley. Is the one that you bought a genuine Infiniti warranty? My basic warranty runs out in November. I want to get an extended one that covers all the stock gadgets in the car (radio, front & rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, rear sunshade) but haven't found one. My local dealership here also told me that their extended warranty didn't cover the loaner. If yours does then people can buy the same warranty from your dealership and have the work done anywhere right?