Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Thinkin of getting some goodies for NA setup.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 09:22 AM

Thinkin of getting some goodies for NA setup.

Thinking about getting JWT bigger fuel injectors, JWT Cams kit, JWT ECU... but I dont want to get a turbo... is there any places that sell high compression pistons kit? (Rod, head, rings)
Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

Really? Man how cool is that. Should be rockin' when it's done. Who is going to install all this stuff?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:35 AM

Sounds very cool.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Really? Man how cool is that. Should be rockin' when it's done. Who is going to install all this stuff?

I have a mechanic who told me he'll do the job only for $100 but as long as I wait till after hours to get it done (side jobs) Anyways I just finished calculating my tax return on a software (TaxCut) and seems that I can finally afford some "real" performance. I want to keep it a sleeper,

I'm also replacing the exhuast manifold. Also if it's possible to get my hands on a Y-Pipe but depends on how the down pipe looks at the end. Someone told me that if I get headers that the downpipe might not bolt onto the aftermarket Y-pipe. Thinkin of getting rather 2.5 inch piping or 3.0". My mechanic works mainly on American cars for performance soo I'm gonna ask him what size piping I should use.

Also with the fuel injectors do they sell the fuel rail? or Do I need someone to modify it?

Like I said I'm not going to add a charger nor nitrous. I dont want it to be loud I might even use the same stock muffler or use one with a low growl (such as flow master or borla) so that I dont catch any attention.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

If your mechanic is going to install cams for $100, he doesn't know what he's getting into.

Originally Posted by illmortal
I have a mechanic who told me he'll do the job only for $100 but as long as I wait till after hours to get it done (side jobs) Anyways I just finished calculating my tax return on a software (TaxCut) and seems that I can finally afford some "real" performance. I want to keep it a sleeper,

I'm also replacing the exhuast manifold. Also if it's possible to get my hands on a Y-Pipe but depends on how the down pipe looks at the end. Someone told me that if I get headers that the downpipe might not bolt onto the aftermarket Y-pipe. Thinkin of getting rather 2.5 inch piping or 3.0". My mechanic works mainly on American cars for performance soo I'm gonna ask him what size piping I should use.

Also with the fuel injectors do they sell the fuel rail? or Do I need someone to modify it?

Like I said I'm not going to add a charger nor nitrous. I dont want it to be loud I might even use the same stock muffler or use one with a low growl (such as flow master or borla) so that I dont catch any attention.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:43 PM

If your mechanic is going to install cams for $100, he doesn't know what he's getting into.
dont really think it'd be that hard of a job for someone who works on engines all day right?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think that someone that doesn't know what's really involved might tend to think that.

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
dont really think it'd be that hard of a job for someone who works on engines all day right?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:03 PM

I think that someone that doesn't know what's really involved might tend to think that.
not to offend...but im not engine ignorant...dont imply that i am...cams are not that big of a pain to remove...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:05 PM

disregard what i said...i dont feel like getting blocked or arguing...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

Then you should know. I know I wouldn't do cams for $100. Look at a typical shop rate vs how long it takes.

Can you replace all 4 cams in about 2 hours?

not to offend...but im not engine ignorant...dont imply that i am...cams are not that big of a pain to remove...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

You won't. I wouldn't need to if you keep it civil.

disregard what i said...i dont feel like getting blocked or arguing...
Old 02-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Why are you going to waste your money on the headers? No one has gotten very impressive gains on a 4th gen. The money can be better spent on other stuff.

Why are you going to get bigger injectors if you are not going with boost? It will make you run rich, which is NOT going to make any more power. Infact, it will cool the charge, slow combustion, and make LESS hp. Its safer for the engine, but NOT good for performance.

With the cams: your friend is either giving you one hell of a deal for a $100 install OR he has no idea what he is getting himself into. This engine is DOHC (and the damned manifold is in the way of the rear bank as well) not some 70s push rod with a single camshaft.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Wait. Don't tell me some of you thought only the front valve cover held all the cams?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Armed and Dangerous

hehe... with some people... you never know.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Why are you going to waste your money on the headers? No one has gotten very impressive gains on a 4th gen. The money can be better spent on other stuff.

Why are you going to get bigger injectors if you are not going with boost? It will make you run rich, which is NOT going to make any more power. Infact, it will cool the charge, slow combustion, and make LESS hp. Its safer for the engine, but NOT good for performance.

With the cams: your friend is either giving you one hell of a deal for a $100 install OR he has no idea what he is getting himself into. This engine is DOHC (the damned manifold in the way of the rear bank) not some 70s push rod with a single camshaft.

Well see, like I said he works on engine mianly American for performance. He does normal tune-ups and all... but he also does boring and polishing, trust me he's not an everyday Pepboy's mechanic. Anyways reason he even gives good prices is cuz his side job customers tip him nicely as well... All that labor money that mechanics charge is not all going into their pocket. So he doesn't make up fees for his side jobs.. just one fee and that's installation.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=i30ds]
[QUOTE]

Now with the bigger injectors... wouldn't it be ok to push a lil more fuel with a high compression setup?... Or bigger injectors strictly made only for charged engines?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:15 PM

I'd say you should strap a big 'ol Vortec supercharger on top and cut a hole in the hood so you can see the pulley and the intake, along with some flow master duals comin out of the back with craigar wheels....
Old 02-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

You really need to do some more research on this. Your going about NA power the wrong way.

For what your talking about doing, larger injectors will not help you. You can get close 270whp-280whp out of the stock injectors

I am sure that your friend knows alot about modding cars, but your gonna get much better info here in regards to your Maxima/I30.

Once he realizes what is involved in installing cam's on our car the price will change dramatically. I bet it would take even a skilled tech 5-6 hrs to do a cam install on a maxima if he has never done one before.

There is a simple proven way to get decent NA power and 1/4 time out of your car.

1. Intake, Y-pipe, MEVI, JWT ECU

or

2. Intake, y-pipe, TS ECU,

or

3. VQ35 bottom end and VQ30 heads, y-pipe, ECU

Any of these will get you into the 13's NA

Are you an auto?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
You really need to do some more research on this. Your going about NA power the wrong way.

For what your talking about doing, larger injectors will not help you. You can get close 270whp-280whp out of the stock injectors

I am sure that your friend knows alot about modding cars, but your gonna get much better info here in regards to your Maxima/I30.

Once he realizes what is involved in installing cam's on our car the price will change dramatically. I bet it would take even a skilled tech 5-6 hrs to do a cam install on a maxima if he has never done one before.

There is a simple proven way to get decent NA power and 1/4 time out of your car.

1. Intake, Y-pipe, MEVI, JWT ECU

or

2. Intake, y-pipe, TS ECU,

or

3. VQ35 bottom end and VQ30 heads, y-pipe, ECU

Any of these will get you into the 13's NA

Are you an auto?
Yep...I am an Auto. Unless I can get a good deal for a 3.5 bottom end and manual tranny. I want to hit the 250+ HP region.
And yeah I was thinkin of getting 3.5 bottom and 3.0 top
Maybe you're right about the cams, but I am still interested... I'll ask him if he's ever done the job on a Maxima or I30 engine code VQ30DE. If not I'll even show him the service manual of my car to see what he thinks about replacing the cams.

I mean he's a fast pace mechanic and he works at a shop called Route 66 which is mainly engine performance for American rides. Anyways thanks for the heads up on my choices.

I'm thinkin Y-Pipe, 3.0 Head, 3.5 Bottom, JWT ECU, and Cams...
I had cams installed on my Corolla and that made a huge difference in high end, specially after 2nd gear.

My last question is... does the 3.5 bottom end have a longer stroke?... What makes it even better than the 3.0 bottom end (sorry I have no search on this forum)
Old 02-16-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 97I30touring
I'd say you should strap a big 'ol Vortec supercharger on top and cut a hole in the hood so you can see the pulley and the intake, along with some flow master duals comin out of the back with craigar wheels....

lol That's funny I was thinkin of doing the SC with ECU... but I thought that I would be better off just going NA.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

Um you can probably get 250 fwhp from a Stillen SC for about 1/3 the price you want to spend on all the NA stuff.

But if you want to still ice skate uphill............
Old 02-16-2005, 09:44 AM

sweet.. also I just found this out: Nissan Motorsports just released a new head which has the VQ30DE chamber volume but the VQ35DE ports and titanium valves which raises the compression ratio to 12:1 if you’re interested in building a naturally aspirated Maxima.

It was here: http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/march04/ask_sarah/

read it up and now I understand. Hm... there's a hell of alot of options 3.5 Bottom end, 3.0 top, SC, Cams, ECU.... ack too much to choose from. I'll do more researching but ECU is on the top of the list.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

Why don't you go ahead and price that head and see if you still want to do that.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:37 AM

Damn, I can't find the proper terms to use when googling for VQ30DE/VQ35DE hybrid
Does anyone on this forum have this hybrid?..
The head I should look for in price would be the VQ30DE-K?
I just want to know if the VQ30DE would simply bolt right onto the VQ35DE without no other mods (not even an ECU upgrade)?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:55 AM

Actually, with a higher compression NA setup, I would RECOMMEND more fuel input, higher fuel input is not just for charged setups
Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 AM

That' what I thought, but someone explained that stock injectors can actually last a good amount of power before needing more fuel.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Damn, I can't find the proper terms to use when googling for VQ30DE/VQ35DE hybrid
Does anyone on this forum have this hybrid?..
The head I should look for in price would be the VQ30DE-K?
I just want to know if the VQ30DE would simply bolt right onto the VQ35DE without no other mods (not even an ECU upgrade)?
Try using the term "stroking" or "stroke".

As far as the injectors.... stay the hell away from them unless you are running forced, compressed air! You dont need them! They will lower the AF mixture ratio which is to say that you will be running LESS air per every 1 unit of fuel than before. For example, going from 14.7(air): 1(fuel) to 13(air): 1(fuel) will result more fuel which makes a cooler charge which will slow combustion and make LESS HP!! Trust me!!

The only way I could see them working on an NA set up is if you were to run cams with crazy lobes. But, you DO NOT want to go that route! Your car will lose all of its civility and become a track only vehicle.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:46 PM

Wait. Don't tell me some of you thought only the front valve cover held all the cams?
no...as a student mechanic...i know this...but i also know that it is not as hard as many ppl believe it to be...mechanics have tools and are trained to handle such projects..
Old 02-16-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay, can you answer this?

Then you should know. I know I wouldn't do cams for $100. Look at a typical shop rate vs how long it takes.

Can you replace all 4 cams in about 2 hours?
no...as a student mechanic...i know this...but i also know that it is not as hard as many ppl believe it to be...mechanics have tools and are trained to handle such projects..
Old 02-16-2005, 08:30 PM

Okay, can you answer this?
depends...if i was his friend...and it was all done in MY shop...probably so...but if i were really professional about it...no...i wouldnt do it for a hundred bucks...i'd probably charge him a whole lot more...
Old 02-17-2005, 08:02 AM

That's the thing, I've known this guy for a good 11 years. Since I was 10 years old lol
He used to have his own shop but he claimed it was boring just doing maintnance, so he decided to find a job at a performance shop, funny part was he doesn't like imports because they're time consuming when working under the engine lol
Well I also found some good information, I can get a Chrysler's T3 turbo for my Infiniti. So I can just go to a junk yard and find one off of a 2.2 Liter Daytona. Not only that I can get one brand new for a good price too without turbo manifold though: http://www.turbochargers.com/Turbos/...pgrades/T4.htm

I'm sorry that I seem to be all over the place with this thread I'm trying to find the cheapest route to 250-300hp. I thought turbos were really expensive (more than $2k with all parts) But I'm thinkin I should do the 3.5 bottom end, and keep my head with a T3 or a T4 turbo. Now I need to learn a little about snail shell, you have to set it at a certain degree I guess to get the full use of the turbo.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:03 AM

In saying that this person here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerouser?...ofile&id=17195

Is selling turbos for a great price as well look at his signature for the prices.
T3/T04E's - $495
T3 Super 60 - $400

And these are the new turbos:
http://www.turbochargers.com/Turbos/...pgrades/T4.htm
Old 02-17-2005, 10:20 AM

That's the thing, I've known this guy for a good 11 years. Since I was 10 years old lol
He used to have his own shop but he claimed it was boring just doing maintnance, so he decided to find a job at a performance shop, funny part was he doesn't like imports because they're time consuming when working under the engine lol
Well I also found some good information, I can get a Chrysler's T3 turbo for my Infiniti. So I can just go to a junk yard and find one off of a 2.2 Liter Daytona. Not only that I can get one brand new for a good price too without turbo manifold though: http://www.turbochargers.com/Turbos/...pgrades/T4.htm

I'm sorry that I seem to be all over the place with this thread I'm trying to find the cheapest route to 250-300hp. I thought turbos were really expensive (more than $2k with all parts) But I'm thinkin I should do the 3.5 bottom end, and keep my head with a T3 or a T4 turbo. Now I need to learn a little about snail shell, you have to set it at a certain degree I guess to get the full use of the turbo.

Sir, please step away from your car

There are too many things to try and tell you.

You do understand that you don't just "put on a turbo". It is not like installing an expensive intake. Getting a turbo up and running safely on a maxima at any decent amout of boost will cost you at least $3K...at least...and that is doing the work yourself. Have you thought about how your going to pay for or make the custom exhaust piping needed for a turbo. What about the intercooler piping, oil feed and return lines, fuel management, tranny build.....so on and so forth. There is soo much that goes into boosting a stock NA car that from the knowledge you have shown thus far, it is way, way beyond your mechanical or money capabilities.

Either NA or turbo, for you to get 250-300 hp out of your I30 your gonna spend at least $3K and that is for all used parts.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm needing a caw

Mike I truely feel for you.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sometimes you have to let people destroy their car if they are not going to listen...
Old 02-17-2005, 12:51 PM

I understand... yeah you're right about the cost, I was doing some research and noticed no matter what turbo setup it's gonna be in the $3k region.
I'm looking to spend only about $1k but maybe it's better off to start with the suspension and y-pipe.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm needing a caw

You only had $1,000 to play with and you started this thread with JWT ecu, cams etc....???? The cams themselves cost more than $1,000. More like $1500

I understand... yeah you're right about the cost, I was doing some research and noticed no matter what turbo setup it's gonna be in the $3k region.
I'm looking to spend only about $1k but maybe it's better off to start with the suspension and y-pipe.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Got Projectors?

...There's a reason why I don't frequent this section much anymore.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:21 PM

Nooo... I mean I can get them all, but I have to keep in mind of installation. I can simply purchase the items. Maybe I just didn't explain myself correctly.
Okay as far as cams go, I want to use stock ones off of the 3.5 I dont want to purchase brand spankin new ones off of JWT nor HKS. With the cams I can also purchase the ECU, but I wouldn't be able to get it installed. I want to get as much as possible in one shot but installation is going to hurt. I was only quoted for the Cam installation cuz that's the only thing I had on my mind not the ECU.

But then I was given all these other options which blew me away cuz then I couldn't decide. I mainly wanted the ECU and Cams to begin with, I just can't find the cams for sale unless I get aftermarket which tend to be $1k+
Old 02-17-2005, 01:41 PM

based on my knowledge of you so far and the money you have this is what I recomend

First, your not gonna get 250whp with what you an afford....your probably not even gonna get 200whp

This is what you need to do. It is not exciting or innovative but you don't have the know how or money to do something like that.

Ebay intake with a decent filter
Budget y-pipe
TS ECU
Used H&R springs and some new KYB Gr-2's

This will cost you around $1000 in parts. Install is gonna be extra, but you should be able to do the ECU, intake yourself. You will have about 185 whp and maybe run a 14.8-14.9. That is what you get for $1000. I have shoped smart for my turbo project and was lucky to get the exhaust and intercooler piping used, and I have still spent $3500 so far. Still got another $400 to spend and I will have a little less than 300whp. It will cost me another $1000 to safely go beyond that.

Quick Reply: Thinkin of getting some goodies for NA setup.