Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

To all I30 owners! Please read and share your opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

To all I30 owners! Please read and share your opinion!

Hi,

I’m a new guy on the block here and would really appreciate the input of the seasoned Infinity I30 owners.

I really love Infinity and I am finally looking to buy one for my wife. However, I am undecided which I30 is better: 1999 or 2000?

I would also really appreciate if you could list some of the worst problems you have experienced with the I30 ‘99 or ‘00 models and the cost of repair. Thanks!

I’ve read a lot of reviews on I30, but most of them were new car or like 15,000 – 50,000 miles which is actually nothing. I own Nissan Altima ’96 with 117,000 and it runs great! I am more interested in reviews for 5-8 year olds since this is where my price range currently nests.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Well the 96-99 is A32 platform, while the 00+ is A33 platform. So they have different body styles and interiors.

The best part of the 99 is that it could come with a 5spd tranny which is not available for the 00.

Mechanically, both have the same 3.0L V6 but the 99 comes with 190hp stock while the 00 comes with 222 (or was it 227?) hp. The 99 had a LSD option (I dont know about the 00, but probably).

The 99 was lighter than the 00 by a couple hundred lbs, but the 00 has a nicer/ more modern interior and exterior.

The only trouble spots on the 99 are the knock sensor and the coil packs, but those are really small issues. I dont know about issues with the 00+, but as far as reliability and performance, both have a bullet proof engine that is far superior than anything in a similar year Lexus ES300 or an Acura TL.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:01 PM

My 2001 I30T doesn't have that many issues... it's a solid car (47,000 miles). My mom has a 2000 I30 which runs fine to this day (60,000 miles)

But have you looked into getting a new Honda Accord for relatively same amount of money? I probably would have gotten a new Accord, (new car warranty, etc).
Old 03-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a 99 i30 and a 00 max. the max I like far more. much more on the gas, back seat is so much bigger, and has a far newer skin.

Greg
Old 03-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

The drive train is basically the same so it comes down to which style you like better. All I30 are rated as one of the most reliable cars in its class, so besides those few random lemon cars you will have yourself a fairly trouble free car....which does not mean it won't need the regular stuff that all cars need like brakes, batteries, starters, alternators and such.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:46 PM

00's and Up are better
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 PM

MikeD, thats a pretty pic, Et's yet?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:09 PM
attomica

I think they're fantastic cars (mine is a 2000), but they do have recognized problems.

Oxygen sensors are known to be one of them. It cost me over $500 to have two of the four replaced. Granted, I got shanked for that at the stealership, but next time I'll be replacing them myself.

The I30 is also known to have problems with the Mass Airflow Sensor, or the Airflow Meter. Mine malfunctioned and it would have cost another $500 at the stealership to replace it, but I did it myself. It then cost me a total of $200, with the stealership's "diagnostic fee" the the $100 for the part from daveb, here on the forum.

Another recognized problem are the brake rotors. Specifically, the warping of them. The Maxima/I30 is a fairly large car with a powerful drivetrain and the general concensus is that the brake system is under-engineered for a car of this description. Typically, the brake rotors warp, which causes vibration, diminished braking performance, and premature component failure. Luckily, the remedy is easily executed with the installation of after market rotors. I'm currently experiencing the warpage-induced vibration on my car, but I have some brand-new Brembo rotors and Hawk pads sitting in the garage, slated for installation next weekend. The total cost for the new rotors and pads came to about $330 from tirerack.com, which is the least expensive place I could find them.

The coil packs on the Maxima/I30 are another known issue. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with that yet, but from what I understand, it's fairly expensive and a bit of a pain-in-the-a.ss. to address.

I hope I'm not steering you away from the awesomeness that is the I30, but you should be aware that it may not be as problem-free as you initially thought.

Oh yeah, another problem is that there are morons out there who destroy the beauty and elegance of this fine automobile with the addition of c.rap like neons, giant chrome wheels (known as "rims" to the morons), and tacky plastic "body kits". They're bringing us all down to the level of the ricers, so just be aware that the I30 you may get won't carry the same elegance it had before Pep-Boys started selling big exhaust canisters, colored headlight bulbs, lighted windshield washer nozzles, and "racing" decals.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by attomica
Oh yeah, another problem is that there are morons out there who destroy the beauty and elegance of this fine automobile with the addition of c.rap like neons, giant chrome wheels (known as "rims" to the morons), and tacky plastic "body kits". They're bringing us all down to the level of the ricers, so just be aware that the I30 you may get won't carry the same elegance it had before Pep-Boys started selling big exhaust canisters, colored headlight bulbs, lighted windshield washer nozzles, and "racing" decals.
I have never seen another modded I30, much less a "riced out" one. I doubt that this will be a problem for anyone since I'm sure the percentage of modded I30s is very, very low compared to other cars.

I myself have a 98 and I love the reliability. I purchased the car at 38K and now I'm up to 80K. The only problem I have had with the car is that is didn't pass CA smog, but I'm sure that its because I have yet to do my 60K service and I'm more than 20K past now. I also only failed one out of 6 tests.

I think the difference for you becomes personal preference really. Does your wife prefer the 99 or 00? It *seems* that the 00s have a few more issues, but its not a big difference at all and most issues are minor esp. when compared to other cars. I personally love my 98 but wouldn't mind at all a 02 I35 but that is mainly because of the 3.5 and not the car itself.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:01 PM

I too have a 98 I30, and I love it, mine has 157000 on the odometer and is still a joy to drive, I do have some things that I'm going to be changing (brakes, coil packs) However that's only because they need to be serviced, luckily mine came to me with Hanshin coil packs that seem to be properly sealed, unlike a lot, because I haven't had a single problem with them. My old girl still has plenty of power, although she does need new packs and plugs, and the TB needs cleaned (all for the sake of more power and fuel economy) and I'm thinking I may need to clean my IACV and get a new starter (she doesn't like to stay started from a cold start unless I rev a little.) Otherwise, no problem except for the '98 only Airbag light problem, although I'll be fixing that one tommorrow...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by 97I30touring
MikeD, thats a pretty pic, Et's yet?
Thanks! No times yet, but they soon to come
Old 03-25-2005, 07:28 PM

all i can say is....get this one!!!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:33 AM

What year is that i30? I like it.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for all your responses!!!

It seems like '00 is the one, the styling is much better. We realize that maintaining such a car will be expensive but we are more concerned with reliability, and looks like I30 doesn't have a lot of issues.

Accord is a good car but lacks the options, plus we don't like its design. Thank you anyway rlx77. Besides, insurance on a new car is way higher and it will cost at least 6 grand more.

I think the picture Crux sent us is a Maxima. I personally like a less sporty version, a more classy type of sedan is my priority. Well, I do like fast cars though...

Attomica! Your review was just what I was looking for. Oxygen sensor is a problem for all the nissans. I've also heard about rotors and coil packs from other sites reviews. Don't they fix it under warranty?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scott LaRock
What year is that i30? I like it.
2002 I30 why don't u go check it out @
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=389271
Old 03-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Korsar
I think the picture Crux sent us is a Maxima. I personally like a less sporty version, a more classy type of sedan is my priority. Well, I do like fast cars though...
That is a 2002 i30 eith i35 tailights!
Is the same thing. My car is a 2000 with 121,000 miles and ive only had to replace 1 coil $75, the MAF $100 and the starter (it was under warranty) other than that i got to replace the red o2 sensor and thats it!
this is mine!
Old 03-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my opinion would be to get the 02 model...ive had warped rotors and had to replace the starter, but nothing serious. the interior of the 02 is much nicer and you could get it at a good price...
Old 03-28-2005, 12:18 PM
attomica

Originally Posted by Korsar
...Attomica! Your review was just what I was looking for. Oxygen sensor is a problem for all the nissans. I've also heard about rotors and coil packs from other sites reviews. Don't they fix it under warranty?
From my experience, the O2 sensors are not covered under the 8/80,000 emissions warranty. Pretty much just the catalytic converter is. It'll probably be covered if you have an extended warranty, though. I'm unsure about rotors or coil packs, but my gut feeling is that, unless you had the extended warranty, you'd be on your own for those too.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:19 PM

Where did you guys get your MAF for a few hundred bucks, I called my dealer and they said it was close to 600!

Chucky.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:29 PM

Oh, I forgot to say, 00 I30T has limited slip diferrential, regular does not, but overall its a more quieter car and probably feels more solid.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
.....I dont know about issues with the 00+, but as far as reliability and performance, both have a bullet proof engine ......
Here's a link which allows you to compare common problems between the 99-00 I30s based on technical service bulletins TSB.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...s/I30/Year.htm

I have an 01 luxury (same as an 00 +1) and so far the problems I have experienced are a slow shifting trans (it's not the problem mentioned in the TSB but based on my personal opinion), exessive wind noise at rear window seals (there's a TSB that shows how to fix this), stock Goodyears went bad (only 27k, car dealer replaced free of charge when I bought the car), rear right wheel bearing is due for a replacement (dealer agreed to replace free of charge since I only added 2000 miles to the car), and my clock bulbs burned out. Other than that everything seems to be workin fine.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:28 PM
attomica

Originally Posted by 00i30T
Where did you guys get your MAF for a few hundred bucks, I called my dealer and they said it was close to 600!

Chucky.
Wow! $600? They must be smoking some good weed or didn't know what you were talking about. Seriously, though, there's a forum member here by the name of daveb. His number is 1-888-254-6060. He works in the parts department of a Nissan stealership in Austin, TX. I contacted him about a MAF and I had it in my hands three days later. It cost just a little over $100 for me, including shipping and tax. If you live outside of TX, you're off the hook for tax.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:47 AM

I have a max and an i30, I like the max better b/c of gas mileage and how it handles...but then again, depends on how you have them set up...I like the looks on the front end of the i30, but I like the rear of the max.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:33 AM

Just called Dave and placed my order, at first he said $488, then he looked at another thing and found it for $103...He was patient enough to cross reference my Infiniti with the Nissan book, so he's really cool...thanks ATTOMICA!

Chucky.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:46 AM

Coil packs are the only problems i have had
Old 04-04-2005, 11:32 AM

I had a 99 and I gotta say, it was a very nice and comfortable car and was just very "solid" all the way around. I've never drive a '00 to compare it too though.

allen
Old 04-04-2005, 12:02 PM
attomica

Originally Posted by 00i30T
Just called Dave and placed my order, at first he said $488, then he looked at another thing and found it for $103...He was patient enough to cross reference my Infiniti with the Nissan book, so he's really cool...thanks ATTOMICA!

Chucky.
No problem. I'm glad it worked out.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:02 PM

I own a 97' with 172k miles on it... all I can say is, I'm highly impressed! Only thing I need to replace are the bushings, struts, and maybe springs.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 AM

I bought my 00 I30t with 76000 miles and now have 91000 with no problems whatsoever. The previous owner replaced tires, brake pads, and normal maintenance. I flushed the tranny when I got it and thats it. I did buy the extended warranty for peace of mind.

Sam
Old 04-07-2005, 07:13 AM

I'd have to say going with the 00 is the right choice.
I've got a 01 and asside from a little wind noise at 70mph and a EGR valve problem (which the guys on this board helped me figure out) its a great car.
By far the most comfortable car I've been in under 50k
Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My '99 i30t

I have had this car for about 2 years now. I bought it as a daily driver to replace my gas-guzzling cobra mustang. Within a few months of owning this car, I got rid of the cobra because I was having more fun playing with the i30! (oh, and my wife really wanted an Acura MDX...) Anyhow, I bought it with 35k miles and I have since pushed that up to 52k - mainly city driving. The car handles quite nicely - corners very well, no sway or play even on aggressive turning. It feels very natural. I've changed the oil and have performed the suggested maintenance on the car but that's it. Its very roomy for 5 good sized adults although the added weight does make the car ride a bit rougher (go figure). It is a comfortable car for longer excursions as well as your regular urban adventures.

On the other side...
My car has what I can only describe as a 'brief hesitation' when I accelerate from a dead stop.. this mainly happens when the car has been running for a while under the hot Texas sun. It almost feels like its going to stall, but it never has. I've talked to other i/max owners who say they have experienced a similar feeling, many didn't even consider it a problem. Maybe I'm over-sensitive to this coming from a car that screamed the moment I pressed on the gas pedal.

On wet pavement, the abs leave a little to be desired. The can be a little scary as they pulse worse than any other ABS car I've ever owned. Sometimes I'm not sure if I’ll actually be able to stop in time.. I've learned to give myself more room than I normally would in the cobra or the MDX. I figure it forces me to be a better driver!

There are a few noises in the cabin, most have tsb's. The worst is the blower motor for the climate system. It sounds like a CPU fan that’s running in hi-speed. White noise is what I call it and I've grown to appreciate it... The rear brakes also rub at low speeds. I released some of the tension on the e-brake cable and the problem seems to have stopped.

One minor thing with the '99 is that they didn't put a lock/unlock control on the passenger door. I know it isn't much. 2000's and up have them (I believe).

The styling is a bit sleepy compared to other Japanese and Euro sports sedans but, I like it. Its nice and long. Lots of space between me and the other idiot who decides that red means go!

I can't think of anything else.

Here's the deal.. I bought this car as a short-term, daily driver while I decided which car I actually wanted. After driving 3 series BMW's, Jaguar X & S types, Cadillac CTS, Volvo S80, Lexus' (would that be Lexi?), Acura's, and several others, I continue to drive my i30. Simple fact that none of the cars that I'm willing to afford offer the complete package of the i30. Ride, Performance, Roominess, Dependability, and the biggest to me, Total Cost of Ownership. This is, after all, a Nissan Maxima; one of the most dependable cars on the road.

The sad fact is that I've already told my daughter that she will get the car sometime next year. Did I forget to mention that the I30 is a safe car. Dual front and side airbags, crumple zones, and ABS (albeit a bit flakey). It holds up better than the Honda whatever.. Civic, I guess it was. I'd rather her drive and wreck my I30 than get involved in a mess with a little car. Now, if I could just figure out how to get rid of the back seat... Boys will be boys, you know...

I expect to replace this car with an I35 assuming it is as nice a car as my 130 is.

Sorry for the long post... Just sharing some thoughts.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by CEFIRO
That is a 2002 i30 eith i35 tailights!
Is the same thing. My car is a 2000 with 121,000 miles and ive only had to replace 1 coil $75, the MAF $100 and the starter (it was under warranty) other than that i got to replace the red o2 sensor and thats it!
this is mine!

CEFIRO!! Man...I'm just seeing your ride and I have to say niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! It is almost identical to mine (except my 2000 is in silver) - I am also in ATL. Shoot me a PM man and let's talk about some of your suspension and engine mods (and also those Halos). Later.

Oh...to put my $0.02 in on this thread ...I have a 2000 i30 w/ 127,000 miles on her....only problems i have ever had are the damn O2 sensors (about $100 a piece) other than that my baby rides like the day I bought her. No problems w/ warped rotors or the suspension.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by sweets_green
....I've got a 01 and asside from a little wind noise at 70mph....
I use to have wind noise from 50 mph and up. I did the fix mentioned in the link below and the noise went away (bought some foam tape from Menards):

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/wi...ind_noise.html

Or are you saying the wind/road noise you hear inside of the car at high speeds is a result of poor design or not enough sound deading material?