Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Totally bizarre sound coming from gas tank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:25 AM

Totally bizarre sound coming from gas tank!

It began Monday evening. My tank was between 1/4 and empty when I shut the car down for the night. When I got out of the car, I heard what sounded like a 60Hz humming noise coming from the car. Of course, the first place I checked was under the hood, but, no noise there.

After circling the car and looking high and low, I isolated the noise coming from my gas tank! I popped the filler door, took off the cap, and let the vapors out with a "Whoosh." I replaced the cap, closed the door, and the noise was gone...well, almost all gone. There was still a slight, residual hum.

Now, I know that the gas cap is spring-loaded and designed to let out excess vapor pressure, but I never heard one play a 'C' note before.

Funny thing was that the noise did not seem to originate from the filler tube, but rather from deep inside the tank itself.

Having a light come on when you need gas is nice..but now, I've got a ring tone also!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Fuel pump or access hole o ring needs replacing. I just took care of this on mine. I had the exact same thing you are experiencing. I have had it ever since I bought the car 3 1/2 years ago. It really never caused me any problems, nor did it effect fuel economy. But it did become more and more prevalent so as I precautionary measure, I decided to eliminate it in order to avoid any larger problems.

So I thought it was either the pump or the o ring that goes in the fuel tank access hole. I was not sure which one it was so I decided to replace both (after 100K on a fuel pump replacing the fuel pump is not really a bad idea and the FSM recommends replacing that o ring any time the access lid is removed). But more than likely, I think it was the pump.

The end result was no more whining and that was a couple of weeks ago. Replacing the pump is actually quite easy on this car since you do not have reomve the tank in order to do it. The fuel pump itself is kinda expensive ranging any where form 160-200. The o ring is cheap. There is a good link to a write up on how to do it in the 4th gen "how tos" complete with picutes and everything. Total time for me to do this was probably only 1 hour.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Fuel pump or access hole o ring needs replacing. I just took care of this on mine. I had the exact same thing you are experiencing. I have had it ever since I bought the car 3 1/2 years ago.
Thanks for the info! That makes a lot of sense...especially given the 60Hz hum.