Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

i30 or maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 09:21 PM

i30 or maxima

I know from reading all the FAQ and other stickies that the I30 is just a higher end maxima. With small upgrades from a GLE. But does the driving the car feel diffrent? I'm in a market for a used car. And i actually targeted a maxima. But seems like i'm having issues finding one to my liking with my low miles requirment. But i came across this i30 it fits my liking. I love the maxima's taillights tho. thats one time i'm going to miss and i think the overall sleeker styling of the maxima. I mean the car looks really nice when you so small mods to it if anything. The i30's chrome grill isn't to my liking but aside from that. Will i be paying more for insurance? And is everything for the maxima literally the same like if i got a Turbo/SC kit design for a maxima will it go in the right way or minor adjustments. Same for ordering parts like CV axles.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...0&aff=recycler

thats the car i'm looking at. Kbb prices the car just around those numbers. But i was wondering whats the MOST one you guys will pay for it.

oh and a minor question. i do play on buying a HID kit from the GB will the auto dimmer headlight have any issues with that?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:30 PM

From working at an Infiniti dealership driving I30/35's and from driving my moms 96SE 5spd and my test driving of other Maximas, I can say they all have a very similar feel while driving, but the I's (espically the 35's feel a lot nicer then the Maxima when you talk about build quality. I's tend to be more softly sprung, have softer more supple leather, and better options. If i could get an I35t with a 6spd i wouldnt even be looking at a Maxima.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:29 PM

The car you're looking at looks quite interesting. The mileage is pretty good considering it's a '98. The funny thing about that car is the tail lights. It's from a '96-'97(I have a '97 and I'm definitely not a big fan of it either)...hence the reason why you may not like the tails as much as the Maxima's. You probably know this already but it's supposed to have red/clears on '98-'99s. And, I agree...Maxima tails are nice especially '97-'99s.

Did you check the Carfax? I'd look into see if that car's been in an accident if you haven't already. Otherwise, I don't see why anyone would retrofit it with those instead of the nicer ones on 98s. However, the rest of the car definitely seem like a '98. LOL

As far as Maxima and I30...I've never driven a Maxima but I would guess they'd feel exactly the same. After all, they are mechanically identical.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:58 PM

As a former 95 Max GXE owner, my I30t is much better in just about every aspect. THe ride and handleing is smoother and more compliant. And the interior seems nicer. I would look into the taillights, though. I paid $5500 for my car in March with 82,000 miles.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:21 AM

i haven't carfaxed it yet. mainly because i dont have an account. I run around other forums and sites and nicely ask people for a carfax. most of the time i get lucky. Actually i never noticed the tail lights on it. But now that i took a deeper look into it. the emblems are places in the wrong position as well. which leads me to believe that it has been hit in the rear or something
Old 06-26-2005, 08:43 AM

I would honestly get a BMW or something different. I will never purchase an Nissan ever again. the transmissions on these cars are horrble and for the torque the engines produce its not worth the headache. Get yourself a reliable car. its quick out the box but not worth all of the hassle and frustration that you will deal with in the long run
Old 06-26-2005, 08:53 AM

BMW, lol ever had one? they are more prone to break then any car i've even seen. The minor things will hit up for aleast $1000. Those special dealer only parts and other things. I don't see myself going that route. Sorry. Aleast with a nissan breaking, i have a good chance on fixing it myslef. I have like no chance with BMW's i know cause i tried to fix BMW's at school and it was a no-go.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:59 AM

hey, turtle, i PMed you with some info.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by NOCturnalI30
I would honestly get a BMW or something different. I will never purchase an Nissan ever again. the transmissions on these cars are horrble and for the torque the engines produce its not worth the headache. Get yourself a reliable car. its quick out the box but not worth all of the hassle and frustration that you will deal with in the long run
I've had my 98 I30 for 3 years and almost 50K and have not had one single problem yet. True, our transmissions aren't the best, but I wouldn't consider them unreliable. There are many people on this board that have a huge amount of miles on their original ATs. With proper maintenance there is a good chance you can put well over 100K on the original transmission. The I30s are some of the MOST reliable cars on the road, period. To infer that they are unreliable tells me that you have been misinformed or haven't done enough research.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:08 PM

You guys wanna talk unreliable tranies i will show you my Explorer which is on its 3rd trany at 167k
Old 06-27-2005, 03:34 AM

The aformentioned 95 Max had 211,000 miles and the tranny was still working when I junked it.(Long story)
Old 06-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Armed and Dangerous

You say he should get smoething realiable yet you recommend a BMW?!?! What sense does that make? Those cars along with VW are not built very well mechanically.

I have had my 97 for almost 4 years now and the only problems I have had were the knock sensor which I replaced at 88k and the fuel pump which I just recently replaced.

I am at 96k and those are the only problems I have had so far... Not bad for 8 year old car. And as far as I am concerned the auto trannys on these cars are very reliable. I still get crisp clean shifts in every gear.

Compared to my previous car which was a 92 Acura Vigor, this Nissan has excellent realiability. On that Honda, by 100k, I had to fix 4 different oil leaks, replace the brake master cylinder, replace a siezed rear caliper, replace the auto antenna 2 times. It still had a brake fluid leak at the abs unit and the clear coat was peeling off of it when I finally got rid of it. The AT on that thing really was a POS... It bucked like crazy into every gear. I dont think I will own another Honda product after that experience. I will however be owning more Nissan product.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:27 AM

Even BMW's produce lemons, and I had one. Personally, I would never buy a German car again.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 AM

BTW, I put 302,000 on my 3rd Gen transmission before I had to get it rebuilt. The engine was still running strong when I sold it at 302,800. Now, THAT'S reliability!

My only regret was selling it in the first place. But, I am getting to like my I30 a lot. My major beef with it is the tranny, which can be smooth as silk one day and hard as nails the next. The major thing is that it responds when I need it.

The I30 has gobs of low end torque which can help you get out of a lot of tight situations, not to mention charge ahead when you need to. During rush-hour traffic here in Jax, what makes the difference between you languishing at a stop sign and making your way onto the road is being able to find a gap and get there before someone else does.

That's what I love about my I30 -- it gets me from Point A to Point C by rocketing into that Point B!

Y'all all know what I'm talking about!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:14 AM

Ditto that...No probs save for the starter on my 97. Regular AT maintenance and zero problems. (Just turned 120K this week)
Old 06-30-2005, 09:13 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

And if you go I35, I have not had a problem for almost a full year now of owning one. I also had honDUH which had crazy tranny problems. I also had a Audi and that was the worst peice of **** I have ever owned in my life. I got buddy buddy with the damn dealership. I have had 7 nissan/Infiniti's and besides doing the regular maintenance, the only crap I have had was my G20t and the problems I had with that car were because of me and my over modding to it. My current car (I35) is VERY VERY solid, comparable to Toyota/Lexus build quality.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 PM
attomica

Uhh, what the hell are you doing here if you hate Nissans so much?

Old 07-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by attomica
Uhh, what the hell are you doing here if you hate Nissans so much?
+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^