Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

I30 vs. Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 AM

infinity all the way
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by iRaMarine
I used to have a 98 SE. It came with 17" wheels.
97-99 SEs came with 16'' not 17'' from the factory.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:42 PM
westler92

Originally Posted by 95gxe
I also forgot to mention that the materials used on the Infinitis are much better/higher quality. Example = higher quality leather seating.
Its the same......

Old 12-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by klschulte
infinity all the way
I love how I30 owners botch the spelling CONSTANTLY.

*edit* some
Old 12-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by 95gxe
The part numbers may be the same. But if you sit in one you'll be able to tell the difference. The Infiniti grain is a softer and has a better feel to it.
You may have thought that it felt softer, and maybe it actually was, but it would be do to better maintenance and care. If the part numbers are the same then the parts are the same, and there is no way around it.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Fr33way
I love how I30 owners botch the spelling CONSTANTLY.

*edit* some
Old 12-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"Source: Autotrader.com
Compare Cars
1997 Auto Nissan Maxima GLE 0-60mph in 7.8 sec
1997 Auto Infiniti i30 Standard 0-60mph in 7.1 sec"

When it comes to comparing the 96-99 i30 vs. Maxima, that's just salt for the wound.

When choosing between two vehicles for personal use, many factors must be weighed in. Firstly, pay your $30 and get a month of Carfax to check VINs. Is the vehicle's history of service consistent or are there large gaps of time that are unaccounted for officially? How many owners has the vehicle had? If you are one of the lucky buyers out there that can actually find an individual seller who was the original purchaser of the vehicle, you may have struck gold. However, always use commonsense and avoid impulsiveness. Looks can be deceiving, especially in used car sales. Could this same person sell you a fake Rolex in the streets? Check the brakes and suspension for rust, tires for wear, start the car and let it run, can you smell something burning? A 2/3 fried alternator perhaps? If you really want to be bold-faced, bring a flathead screwdriver so you can check the ECU for any stored malfunction codes! But not before thouroughly learning how to PROPERLY DO THIS from informative threads here on the .Org (Neither Maxima.org, nor I, are responsible for your independent actions, so don't mess someone's car up or its your own fault!). If both cars check out healthy, and price difference isnt significant, you have to look at it as the type of driver that you are. Do you like "spirited driving"? Are you the guy/gal flooring past everyone in the left lane or do you cruise in the right lane? Both engines are VQ30DE, and are beautifully engineered IMHO, so there will be no sore losers after the check has gone through. If your i30 is like mine (non touring; research to find out what touring edition means) then it comes loaded with luxury features. Leather interior, 200 watt 7-speakers Bose sound system, wood trim dash, heated driver and passenger power seats, windows, locks, sunroof, auto-tinting rear view mirror, foglights with auxillary turn signal, LSD, and a classier, more mature body styling that is subtley improved over the Maxima's. Also, if you have ever read any of the threads concerning the "Fastest Generation of Maxima" you should know that ultimately the performance difference correlated to the rim weight. The i30 is blessed with a set of 15" lightweight aluminum alloy rims, with an option for even lighter BBS one's (13.8lbs) on the Touring edition. This wheel weight difference coupled with perhaps a +1-2 degree timing advance accounts for all performance advantages over a same year Maxima. But then again, that shouldn't shock anyone. Infiniti was a bold financial stretch for Nissan in the early 90's. They created the i30 after its token luxury RWD J30 but wanted to catch the Maxima trend wave for ~$30k a unit this time. They had to make it possible for auto enthusiasts to differentiate between the two, or else it wouldnt have sold. We all know Nissan has rebounded since then but an uncertain future approaches as half of Infiniti is now owned by Renault, so I find my peace of mind in the proven classics. 4th gen for life.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by L0R1DA
"Source: Autotrader.com
Compare Cars
1997 Auto Nissan Maxima GLE 0-60mph in 7.8 sec
1997 Auto Infiniti i30 Standard 0-60mph in 7.1 sec"

When it comes to comparing the 96-99 i30 vs. Maxima, that's just salt for the wound.

When choosing between two vehicles for personal use, many factors must be weighed in. Firstly, pay your $30 and get a month of Carfax to check VINs. Is the vehicle's history of service consistent or are there large gaps of time that are unaccounted for officially? How many owners has the vehicle had? If you are one of the lucky buyers out there that can actually find an individual seller who was the original purchaser of the vehicle, you may have struck gold. However, always use commonsense and avoid impulsiveness. Looks can be deceiving, especially in used car sales. Could this same person sell you a fake Rolex in the streets? Check the brakes and suspension for rust, tires for wear, start the car and let it run, can you smell something burning? A 2/3 fried alternator perhaps? If you really want to be bold-faced, bring a flathead screwdriver so you can check the ECU for any stored malfunction codes! But not before thouroughly learning how to PROPERLY DO THIS from informative threads here on the .Org (Neither Maxima.org, nor I, are responsible for your independent actions, so don't mess someone's car up or its your own fault!). If both cars check out healthy, and price difference isnt significant, you have to look at it as the type of driver that you are. Do you like "spirited driving"? Are you the guy/gal flooring past everyone in the left lane or do you cruise in the right lane? Both engines are VQ30DE, and are beautifully engineered IMHO, so there will be no sore losers after the check has gone through. If your i30 is like mine (non touring; research to find out what touring edition means) then it comes loaded with luxury features. Leather interior, 200 watt 7-speakers Bose sound system, wood trim dash, heated driver and passenger power seats, windows, locks, sunroof, auto-tinting rear view mirror, foglights with auxillary turn signal, LSD, and a classier, more mature body styling that is subtley improved over the Maxima's. Also, if you have ever read any of the threads concerning the "Fastest Generation of Maxima" you should know that ultimately the performance difference correlated to the rim weight. The i30 is blessed with a set of 15" lightweight aluminum alloy rims, with an option for even lighter BBS one's (13.8lbs) on the Touring edition. This wheel weight difference coupled with perhaps a +1-2 degree timing advance accounts for all performance advantages over a same year Maxima. But then again, that shouldn't shock anyone. Infiniti was a bold financial stretch for Nissan in the early 90's. They created the i30 after its token luxury RWD J30 but wanted to catch the Maxima trend wave for ~$30k a unit this time. They had to make it possible for auto enthusiasts to differentiate between the two, or else it wouldnt have sold. We all know Nissan has rebounded since then but an uncertain future approaches as half of Infiniti is now owned by Renault, so I find my peace of mind in the proven classics. 4th gen for life.
1. the a32 i30 has a six speaker stereo not seven.
2. the i30 does NOT have a different timing advance than the maxima.
3. autotrader is obviously .
Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 AM

I don't think anyone mentioned that the Infiniti has more sound deadening than the Maxima.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Samzx12
I don't think anyone mentioned that the Infiniti has more sound deadening than the Maxima.
Thats because it doesnt.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by dontouchmymoney
I'm pretty sure that's not possible since in my car the word infiniti, along with the logo, is embossed in the upper half of the seat.
I looked through many 02-03 i35's on eBay and I've only seen a couple with the Infiniti engraving on the seats. wtf?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Thats because it doesnt.
How do you know that?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Armed and Dangerous

How do you know that?
Because I have taken apart the interiors on both the A32 and the A32B and they are exactly the same in that regard... it is one of the many myths that get started on this site.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:47 PM

Because I have taken apart the interiors on both the A32 and the A32B and they are exactly the same in that regard... it is one of the many myths that get started on this site.
Thats fine but I tell you this. When I had my 02 Maxima and in comparison to my 00 I30t, the I30 seems much more quiet. The salesman did tell me that the Infiniti does have more sound deadening material. I do not hear near the road noise.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:18 AM

I can verify the existence of extra sound deadening in the i30 over the Max. I've had some bodywork done and my mechanic and I had a long conversation about the details of my vehicle and its potential for what I want it to become, a sleeper.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:24 AM

Thats fine but I tell you this. When I had my 02 Maxima and in comparison to my 00 I30t, the I30 seems much more quiet. The salesman did tell me that the Infiniti does have more sound deadening material. I do not hear near the road noise.

dont trust salesmen...
Old 12-22-2005, 11:41 AM

I dont trust salesman but it is very obvious that my I30 is much quieter than the Maxima. No comparison. Care to expain this?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:23 PM

There is extra sound deadening material in the i30, end of discussion on that note. My mechanic has over a decade of experience working in collison repair and earlier this year, some dumbass backed up into my door. Of course, the fool paid in full for repairs, but the point is that when I picked up the car my trusty mechanic sounded very frustrated as he described all the "extra sound deadening crap" that he had to work around. Just trying to get factual information out to someone trying to find out for sure.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM

Infiniti offers all Nissan amenities and has finishing touches that the Maxima lacks. Go for the Infiniti if you pay attention to detail or the Nissan if you're light on $.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:15 AM

...so what you're saying is our i30's weight less than what people say?cause the only reason as to why we're heavier is because of "more sound deadening"
Old 12-26-2005, 09:55 AM

BACK TO HIS ORIGINAL QUESTION- I'd go with the i30, all 99's and all i30T's come with a limited slip, plus the service&warranty policies are way better, not to mention the fact that driving an infiniti will put you in a slightly higher social class than if you drove a nissan.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:10 PM

Like others have mentioned before, I think it all comes down to the styling. I like the I30 design a lot better...especially the 98-99's with their red/clear tail lights (although I guess you can mod it on the earlier models). I'm biased and I think that I30 (A32 and A33) is one of the best looking cars ever designed looks wise. I never get tired of looking at them.

Also, about 99% of I30's seem fully loaded and they already have more standard features than Maximas such as ABS, side airbags(98-99's), etc.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I cannot vouch for A33... only A32 since that is where I have the experience. The A33 I30/I35 very well could have more sound deadening than the A33 maxima.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I can verify the existence of extra sound deadening in the i30 over the Max. I've had some bodywork done and my mechanic and I had a long conversation about the details of my vehicle and its potential for what I want it to become, a sleeper.
If you are referring to your 97, your mechanic (like most mechics, sadly) are talking under assumtions and are inccorect as a result.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Armed and Dangerous

There is extra sound deadening material in the i30, end of discussion on that note. My mechanic has over a decade of experience working in collison repair and earlier this year, some dumbass backed up into my door. Of course, the fool paid in full for repairs, but the point is that when I picked up the car my trusty mechanic sounded very frustrated as he described all the "extra sound deadening crap" that he had to work around. Just trying to get factual information out to someone trying to find out for sure.
Extra sound deadening in the door?!? Ever popped your door panel? It, like most of the vehicle, it is completely devoid sound deadening... It has a plastic sheet to keep water off the inside of the door panel and that is it. The maxima is exactly the same as well.

Your mechanic was just making small talk or an excuse as to why it was taking such a long time for the repair or to justify labor charges that were higher than the estimate.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
...so what you're saying is our i30's weight less than what people say?cause the only reason as to why we're heavier is because of "more sound deadening"
I dont know that extra sound deadening crap got started but it is NOT true! I helped a friend take apart the interior on his 97 GLE to install a complete aftermarket stereo and subwoofer set up and dynamat sound deadening. We popped the door panels, stripped the trunk took the carpet and rear bench out... we hit it all. It was exactly the same as my interior when I took it apart to put in my dynamat and foam sound deadening in the exact same loactions. Anybody that thinks the A32 has more sound deadening than the A32B is flat wrong!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 PM

good grief...

If you are referring to your 97, your mechanic (like most mechics, sadly) are talking under assumtions and are inccorect as a result.
You sound like the only one here operating under assumption. I understand that you have worked extensively on your car, and it shows. However, you are certainly no authority on THIS subject, and neither am I. Performance mods are very specific mechanical details, but "extra sound deadening" does not necessarily have to be "extra material". The only way you could prove your point that the i30 and Maxima share identical "sound deadening" properties, would be to test the metal content and consistency between the two models' doors, chassis, and interior. Thats to say that the i30 doesnt need to have styrofoam padding to be quieter. Maybe, the sound insulation is just be the innards of our heavy luxury seats.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Armed and Dangerous

You sound like the only one here operating under assumption. I understand that you have worked extensively on your car, and it shows. However, you are certainly no authority on THIS subject, and neither am I. Performance mods are very specific mechanical details, but "extra sound deadening" does not necessarily have to be "extra material". The only way you could prove your point that the i30 and Maxima share identical "sound deadening" properties, would be to test the metal content and consistency between the two models' doors, chassis, and interior. Thats to say that the i30 doesnt need to have styrofoam padding to be quieter. Maybe, the sound insulation is just be the innards of our heavy luxury seats.
Assumption?!? Read post 66... there is no assumption. I have ripped apart both interiors to put in sound deadening and they are exactly identical.

Any extra sound deadening would come in the form of exrta material (e.g. foam, protecto wrap, etc...) NOT in some sort of different sheet metal compostition... to think so is absolutely ridiculous. The Maxima and the I30 and ALL the other nissan vehicles use the same sheet metal. Nissan is not going to give the I30 some "special" "different" sheet metal that is superior in noise reduction... I dont know where you come up with this crap.

Also, the seats in the I30 are NOT "heavy luxury seats" that differer from the Maxima either. They are the same seats! How do I know? Because I removed the seats out of both as well. The fronts and the lower portion of the rear bench are exactly identical. The only difference is in the upper portion of the rear bench where the I30 has head rests. The foam and the leather upholstery is exactly the same. Any body that has seen and sat in both know this.

This whole thread is extremely retarded. I dont know why so many I30 owners want to think their I30 is some superior special car that is totally different from the Maxima. This may be the case for the A33 guys but NOT for the A32. Nissan really did not do much to differentiate between the two except for a slightly different exterior (hood, bumpers, fenders, rear end) and interior (dash, rear head rests, leather e brake, fuzzy pillars, dash, gas pop) and an optional lsd.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 AM

Look, it really comes down to which car you prefer. I've owned a 2004 Maxima and now a 2001 I30 and honestly liked both of them. Except for the fact that I had to force Nissan to buy back my Maxima because it was a lemon...
What matters the most to me in a car is the quality and dependability of it. I don't know how many of you read the annual J.D. Power & Associates reports, but they certainly provide some good info as to which cars are, on the average, more reliable and built with higher quality. See for yourself:

2005 Vehicle Dependability Study
Infiniti ranked 6th highest
Nissan ranked 25th (11 places under the industry average)

2004 Vehicle Dependability Study
Infiniti ranked 3rd highest (under Lexus & Buick)
Nissan ranked 17th (2 places under the industry average)

2003 Initial Quality study
Infiniti ranked 3rd highest (under Lexus & Cadillac)
Nissan ranked 21st (6 places under the industry average)

I got this information right off of www.jdpower.com so feel free to check it out for yourself. Obviously JD Power & Associates is not the "end-all" of quality standards, but they do a good job of providing un-biased comparisons. Please understand, I am not trying to bash Nissan. I think Nissan makes nice cars in general, but just because Infiniti's are made by Nissan, Do Not think that they are exactly the same.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

The 2 are almost the same. Engine, suspension, drivetrain (except I30 could come with an limited slip), are all the same. The major differences are in the exterior styling, which is much much better on the I30.

Interior wise the 2 are almost the same. The I30 has fuzzy a, b, and c pillars, adjustable front head rests, leather wrapped e brake, rear head rests, chrome interior door handles, one piece rear floor mat, and electronic fuel filler panel release... The Maxima does not have any of that.

Yes the I30 has fuzzy pillars. But so do the '95 and '96 GLEs. I just installed fuzzy pillars on my '99 SE.
I also installed black leather tilting headrests.
I have also purchased (but not installed yet) a black leather I30 e-brake handle.
However, I am still jealous of the dual rear map pockets.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Yes the I30 has fuzzy pillars. But so do the '95 and '96 GLEs. I just installed fuzzy pillars on my '99 SE.
I also installed black leather tilting headrests.
I have also purchased (but not installed yet) a black leather I30 e-brake handle.
However, I am still jealous of the dual rear map pockets.
Yeah, I always wondered why they went to cheaper plastic on the 97-99 GLEs. Are you going to install the upper portion of the rear bench that has head rests? How about the gas pop?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Yeah, I always wondered why they went to cheaper plastic on the 97-99 GLEs. Are you going to install the upper portion of the rear bench that has head rests? How about the gas pop?
Na, I did think about it though i30ds.

But I'll let the rear bench go. I don't necessarily see it as a luxury upgrade. Now if the rear headrests tilted, that would be a different story....

As for the electric gas pop, I did think about it but for whatever reason, it doesn't excite me like the tilting headrests, leather e-brake and upholstered pillars. It's cool, but I'll let it go. I placed an additional security light in the dud panel anyway.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a6/pta...urity%20Light/
Old 01-15-2006, 09:06 AM

I think it's time to let this thread go....

Laramie probably grabbed what he wanted soon after his last post in the topic (in July of last year) and has not stopped by since to see our various rantings and declarations.

Can we move or create the resultant discussions to new threads so they're easier to follow/respond to?
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
BACK TO HIS ORIGINAL QUESTION- I'd go with the i30, all 99's and all i30T's come with a limited slip, plus the service&warranty policies are way better, not to mention the fact that driving an infiniti will put you in a slightly higher social class than if you drove a nissan.
I drive I30t and I don't think it puts you any higher than anybody else!!
It is the same engine, same horspower rating and made by the same company.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:27 PM

Why can this forum discuss things that make our I30's go faster or handle better instead of this mindless bullsh*t. Thats my two cents.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by L.I. I30t
Why can this forum discuss things that make our I30's go faster or handle better instead of this mindless bullsh*t. Thats my two cents.
I agree 110%. It got dug up by some fool who likes to bring up ancient threads all so he can put in his 2 cents... anyways, I saw a decent amount of misinformation being spread (different timing advance, sound deadening, etc...), so I felt obligated to correct that crap. Thats the only reason I got in here.