Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Is your auto really laggy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by i30ds
Too bad none of the data mathces the the data in the August issue of the magazine .

Well how about I mail you the actual issue with those results in it then. Can you ever be wrong? Click the website link. I didn't make it up.

What data? This was a test in 2004 that they did. If you click the link you'll see. C&D did test an SL65AMG this month and it was slower than the 600 due to launches. 738 lb/ft of torque. Geez.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by FlyI35
Well how about I mail you the actual issue with those results in it then. Can you ever be wrong? Click the website link. I didn't make it up...
No, that wont be necessary... Good God, I never said you made it up... I believe it!! I clicked the link and its from c+d which is good enough for me. Different driver, different altitude, different track, different day... all valid reasons for the discrepancy. All I was saying was that its too bad it didnt match the issue of the magazine that I cited.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:53 AM

TRy exagerating every throttle command
Old 08-14-2005, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Damn, looks like you would loose your car then. Manually shifting an automatic has no benefit what so ever over just going WOT and shifting at redline (or near it).
If you bet on that claim, it'd be like taking candy from a baby. Unless one has modded their tranny and TCM -- and I did neither -- there will ALWAYS be a delay built-in to the shift parameters on the I30 for comfort purposes, that even slamming the gas pedal through the firewall will not change.

For one thing, I'm not limited to shifting at the redline (or any place else) while in manual.

Now, mind you, I can only attest to what my wheels can do (and I did not mod the tranny or TCM) when I say that if there is a delay between 1st and 2nd when I manually shift it, you would need an electron microscope to find it.

On my car, shifting manually at WOT versus letting the slush-box do the job is no contest.

I would have to agree with you that your manual shifting would leave my automatic shifting in the dust. On the other hand, your manual to my manual, or MANuel-a-MANuel (as they say in Spanish) would definitely be must-see TV.

The built-in shift delay is the #2 pet peeve of my car, and I'd consider a 5-speed swap if I would not have to constantly shift while driving in bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic every day.

When I lived in Tallahassee, I had a stick. When I moved to Jacksonville, after my car accident, the traffic convinced me to stick to automatics on all subsequent car changes.

For the record, I DO PREFER stick to automatics, all things being equal. However, since my lower back injury, the less stress and usage I put on my left leg, the better off I am. If I had to use a clutch daily, that alone would literally turn me into a basket-case and a pain pill addict.

If I had in my I30, a six-speed Man-u-matic like the ones BMW and Mazda use, I would be in 7th Heaven on the highway.

On another note: If it were ever possible, I would sincerely enjoy meeting you and your I30 in person some day to swap stories and to check out our rides.

I always enjoy your posts and think that both you and your car are very unique individuals.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:14 PM

As far as the lagging issue goes, I got the KS code and used the 470k resistor to see if there was a difference. Will the code recur after i reset it once I do this? The previous owner used reg gas. I am using prem to see if there is a difference but am afraid because of the KS i wont see any. I read that reg can cause the KS code so i reset and tested it but it came back. I'd like to see how noticable the working KS would be. IF I use the resistor with premium should that give me similar results??