Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Is your auto really laggy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:59 PM

Is your auto really laggy?

Mind you I haven't even put 1500 miles into yet, but man this tranny has a hard time 'learning' my driving style. It's like it can't understand how to mix and match punching it with cruising. It's like the tranny computer(I assume there is one) can only account for one type of driving. Am I wrong and what can I do to get better throttle response?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by falconey
... Am I wrong and what can I do to get better throttle response?
Put in a manual.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Put in a manual.
definitely not doing that. hell I'm close to selling the car already and if I'd have to go that far to get better throttle response that'd definitely make me sell. anyone else drive an auto?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Have you had it looked at? I drive an auto but it is a rebuilt tranny. Is your CEL on? A bad knock sensor or o2 sensor can create some lag issues.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 AM

If you're not already doing it, run 93 or better octane in a full tank and see if when you clamp down on it, it doesn't kick down sooner and have more power from there.

On mine, with low octane, I have to leave the pedal on the floor for awhile longer before it will kick down & of course, I hear valves knocking.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:04 AM

I've got an auto and it seems to be responding just fine.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What kind of car are you coming from? I bet that has alot to do with it. I came from an ES300. Big throttle difference IMO. I could quickly apply a good deal of pressure on the gas pedal in the ES300 and it would smoothly take off, pretty much no matter what.

Quit mashing the pedal and apply a light slowly increasing pressure. You'll get it. I can drive my I30 just as smooth as my ES300 was, but my ES300 could never be as quick or as fun to drive as my I30 is.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Armed and Dangerous

definitely not doing that. hell I'm close to selling the car already and if I'd have to go that far to get better throttle response that'd definitely make me sell. anyone else drive an auto?
Aww come on... it fun! Besides if you sell the car, youre letting it beat you.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Double E
If you're not already doing it, run 93 or better octane in a full tank and see if when you clamp down on it, it doesn't kick down sooner and have more power from there.

On mine, with low octane, I have to leave the pedal on the floor for awhile longer before it will kick down & of course, I hear valves knocking.
You know what this could be my problem here. I've filled the car up three times. The first time I filled up with 93. The second time I filled up with 93 went to about a half a tank and then filled up with 89 to mix with the 93. When that ran out I went with 89 full tank.
This could be effecting the TCU's(if these cars have them) learning process.

My issue more specifically......
1. If I want to drive all out I have no problem. Pedal to the metal and the cars responds exactly how I want(not a problem)
2. If I want to slowly accelerate and drive very casually the car responds as I expect.
If I want or NEED to mix and match the two (1) is so laggy. It's like it kicks in 2 secs after I need it to kick in and sometimes I'll just be trying to do (2), but only need a slight burst of speed. It's like the car will kind of get ready to burst then it'll burst. The problem is that's too much. I just want a quick burst to get in front of someone or to get on the highway not WOT.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by KNYFE
Have you had it looked at? I drive an auto but it is a rebuilt tranny. Is your CEL on? A bad knock sensor or o2 sensor can create some lag issues.
No cel and I notice no issues in regards to actual shifting. It's the shiifting points and throttle response I have an issue with.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by StL I30
What kind of car are you coming from? I bet that has alot to do with it. I came from an ES300. Big throttle difference IMO. I could quickly apply a good deal of pressure on the gas pedal in the ES300 and it would smoothly take off, pretty much no matter what.

Quit mashing the pedal and apply a light slowly increasing pressure. You'll get it. I can drive my I30 just as smooth as my ES300 was, but my ES300 could never be as quick or as fun to drive as my I30 is.
I'm coming from a 95 Diamante which does have a similar horse power range. The thing is my D had a similar lag in certain situations as all autos do, but it wasn't near as long.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:35 PM

It sounds exactly like when the wife drives mine & I get it back with cheap gas in it. Throw a tank of good stuff in it and if you really want to know if there's a difference, grab a bottle of octane boost (several brands available) in addition and see what happens.

...At least throw in a bottle of Techron Injector cleaner and put in 10 gallons of high octane.

The next thing I'd try (if no difference) is pulling a couple of the spark plugs to assess their health and also look at the airfilter.

(I bet the Diamante didn't also have a factory recommendation for premium fuel....)
Old 08-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Armed and Dangerous

...If I want or NEED to mix and match the two (1) is so laggy. It's like it kicks in 2 secs after I need it to kick in and sometimes I'll just be trying to do (2), but only need a slight burst of speed. It's like the car will kind of get ready to burst then it'll burst. The problem is that's too much. I just want a quick burst to get in front of someone or to get on the highway not WOT.

Any thoughts?

This is normal... Sounds like the basic 'lack of performance' operation in any auto tranny... Instead of holding the gear and allowing you to accelerate, it hesitates, then down shifts which is too much... It comes with the territory of owning an auto.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:08 PM

Im just tired of having to bring in the car to have the shift solenoids replaced. Had it done at about 20k and now an fifty (OMG, my car is middle-aged) the car is starting to shift slowly again. Oh well, I guess thats what the warrantee and Infiniti's service is for.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:31 PM

My 98 I30 sometimes has hesitation as well but it usually only happens when I'm turning at a light or stop sign. As soon as I turn and press the accelerator it hesistates for about 2 seconds then I get a huge burst of speed. It doesn't do this at every light just occasionally but my car has 172,000 miles on it so I guess that can be expected. I've just gotten used to it...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Davis81387
My 98 I30 sometimes has hesitation as well but it usually only happens when I'm turning at a light or stop sign. As soon as I turn and press the accelerator it hesistates for about 2 seconds then I get a huge burst of speed. It doesn't do this at every light just occasionally but my car has 172,000 miles on it so I guess that can be expected. I've just gotten used to it...
When I was auto, mine did this too. It is not a malfunction or and indicator of a problem, its just how an auto tranny is.

It feels like a slug because the tranny does not down shift into the appropriate gear so when you come out of the corner you are still in the higher gear and thus the acceleration is poor... Only until you actually push the accelerator harder does it down shift.

I swear, I would be nearly completely stopped going thru a yeild turn and the tranny should have put me in at least second, but instead in only went down into third and then when it comes time to merge I felt like a snail...

Thank God I dont have to deal with this bullsh!t anymore... Car does exactly what I tell it too now.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It won't "learn" it. It's not an adaptive transmission. Unfortunately for all of us with autos, it's nothing more than a good old regular 4 spd auto. However it's flawless and seamless, and the ratios aren't that bad.

Still though what if they threw the 6 speed in the I35. I sometimes wonder how the VQ35 would scream with a manual tranny. My old 97 VQ30 ran like no other with the 5 speed.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:04 AM

An I35 with a 6-speed would probably scream about the same as say.... A Maxima with the 6speed. lol
Old 08-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
An I35 with a 6-speed would probably scream about the same as say.... A Maxima with the 6speed. lol

Hehehe....that would be cool. I do wonder, however, if the manual is THAT much faster around town and at regular speeds. Around town and at regular speeds the auto is pretty freakin fast. Traffic can dissapear in the mirror in a heartbeat when indicated lol. The only screnario I see a 6 spd 3.5 absolutely oblierating an auto would be at speeds of 80+.

Otherwise I don't think the 6 spd would beat the auto by all that much. Yeah it would win, but it wouldn't be a pointless race IMO.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by FlyI35
Hehehe....that would be cool. I do wonder, however, if the manual is THAT much faster around town and at regular speeds. Around town and at regular speeds the auto is pretty freakin fast. Traffic can dissapear in the mirror in a heartbeat when indicated lol. The only screnario I see a 6 spd 3.5 absolutely oblierating an auto would be at speeds of 80+.

Otherwise I don't think the 6 spd would beat the auto by all that much. Yeah it would win, but it wouldn't be a pointless race IMO.
What you just said was totally backwards. Auto and manual are completely different animals. The 6 spd HLSD would make short work of the 4 spd open diff. auto... The reduced weight, reduced dirve train loss (probably at least more than 10 whp), the superior gear ratios, the superior traction... Im talkin 2 if not more car lenghts ahead before an auto could even get outta the intersection...

The low gears... off the line, is where the greatest advantage a manual has! The 1st and 2nd gear ratios are vastly different. Its at speeds of 80+ a manual is not that much faster (although even at an 80+ acceleration contest the maunal would still pull away).
Old 08-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What you just said was totally backwards. Auto and manual are completely different animals. The 6 spd HLSD would make short work of the 4 spd open diff. auto... The reduced weight, reduced dirve train loss (probably at least more than 10 whp), the superior gear ratios, the superior traction... Im talkin 2 if not more car lenghts ahead before an auto could even get outta the intersection...

The low gears... off the line, is where the greatest advantage a manual has! The 1st and 2nd gear ratios are vastly different. Its at speeds of 80+ a manual is not that much faster (although even at an 80+ acceleration contest the maunal would still pull away).
Yeah you have a point.....off the line yeah, but what about a street start or, say, 30-50, or 50-70...I don't think the manual would have that great of an advantage. Plus the open diff doesn't really matter that much in my case, Just put on some fat new Michelin's. My tires, or tire lol, hooks up like a college freshman at launch...maybe a chirp....bottom line, I'm ghost if I floor it from a stop.

The reason I presumed the manual would be so much faster at high speeds is because my old car, a 97 SE 5spd, at high speeds was ridiulous. You didn't even need to take it out of 5th gear unless you ABSOLUTELY had to. It would coast past 100-110 with merely a tap of the gas.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:31 PM

Mind you I haven't even put 1500 miles into yet, but man this tranny has a hard time 'learning' my driving style. It's like it can't understand how to mix and match punching it with cruising. It's like the tranny computer(I assume there is one) can only account for one type of driving. Am I wrong and what can I do to get better throttle response?
Here's what I did to rid myself of the lag:

1. Replace your tranny fluid with Mobil synthetic.

2. Buy a grounding kit and voltage stabilizer off of eBay. total cost will be around $35.

3. When you install the grounding kit, clean off all of your grounding points -- including the ones that will not receive the extra wires -- with steel wool or very fine spandpaper.

4. For about a week, pretend your automatic is a stick shift and alternate automatic shifting with MANUAL upshifting and downshifting. For example, from a dead stop, leave it in 1st until you reach 3,000RPM, then shift into D when you hit 4,000RPM. Downshift into 2nd when slowing down for a turn or a stop. Turn your O/D switch off when you are travelling 25 MPH or slower, or wish to down shift at highway speeds.

My tranny had a really bad lag -- especially when the AC was on. It was so long at times, that I almost got into an accident because I could not execute an emergency maneuver fast enough.

I swear, it made me so mad that I wanted to trash the car because of it.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:01 PM

Yeah you have a point.....off the line yeah, but what about a street start or, say, 30-50, or 50-70...I don't think the manual would have that great of an advantage. Plus the open diff doesn't really matter that much in my case, Just put on some fat new Michelin's. My tires, or tire lol, hooks up like a college freshman at launch...maybe a chirp....bottom line, I'm ghost if I floor it from a stop.

The reason I presumed the manual would be so much faster at high speeds is because my old car, a 97 SE 5spd, at high speeds was ridiulous. You didn't even need to take it out of 5th gear unless you ABSOLUTELY had to. It would coast past 100-110 with merely a tap of the gas.
The autos will always be slower because more power is lost with an auto transmission than with a manual at any speed. This has been proven with dynos and at the track. Autos are roughly 1 whole second slower in the 1/4 mile than a comparable 5 speed with a good driver. How you car "feels" doesn't mean anything when you have dynos and timeslips to compare.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Davis81387
You don't' have to get used to it. You can do something about it. Your tranny is experiencing a loss of pressure in turns. Adding a 24oz bottle of Lucas Transmission Additive to your existing fluid will eliminate the lag.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:12 AM

BTW, my car is at the dealer right now for my slow shifting tranny...

Just called and said that my MAF was at fault. They are replacing it right now under warrantee, as well as bumping my timing up to 17 before TDC like I requested

Hopefully I'll get the car back feeling like the G35 I'm driving right now I can dream can't I? Either way, the G will never have the room of my I, and actually like how my car handles and rides BETTER than the G! My car may be a bit stiffer, but the G almost feels twitchy and uncertain at times.

Anyway, Ill let you guys know how things work out.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:58 AM

Are the shift solenoids a maintenance item ???

what does the grounding kit really do ??
Old 08-08-2005, 11:36 AM

The shift solenoids shoud not be a maintenance item... Not sure if the A32 have the problem with their trannys.

A grounding kit strengthens your elecrical grounds making it easier for current to flow to where it's needed. The better a component receives electricity, the better it can do it's job.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
BTW, my car is at the dealer right now for my slow shifting tranny...

Just called and said that my MAF was at fault. They are replacing it right now under warrantee, as well as bumping my timing up to 17 before TDC like I requested

Hopefully I'll get the car back feeling like the G35 I'm driving right now I can dream can't I? Either way, the G will never have the room of my I, and actually like how my car handles and rides BETTER than the G! My car may be a bit stiffer, but the G almost feels twitchy and uncertain at times.

Anyway, Ill let you guys know how things work out.
Did you take your car down to Infiniti of Denver or did you take it to that new Peak Infiniti off Wadsworth in Lakewood? Either way, Id imagine its a hell of a drive from Ft. Collins.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 PM

Im actually in San Diego right now. Took it to Discover Infiniti here where I bought the car. That dealer is so awesome. they have always tried to do everything to help me and never charge me for anything (except a filter this time).

Infiniti of Denver sux in comparison. They dont try at all (although they do have 2005 loaner cars). I brought my car there for the same probem I brought it to Discover for, and they said nothing was wrong and just topped up the tranny fluid.

I hear today that Infin of Denver pulled a MAF code, put it in the system but didnt take the time to do **** about it! Discover replaced my MAF under warrantee, advanced my timing to 18 before TDC as I requested (actually one bump higher), and even emptied my new oil catch can . They really do know customer service here.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Gates
The autos will always be slower because more power is lost with an auto transmission than with a manual at any speed. This has been proven with dynos and at the track. Autos are roughly 1 whole second slower in the 1/4 mile than a comparable 5 speed with a good driver. How you car "feels" doesn't mean anything when you have dynos and timeslips to compare.
Well yeah, I know, I was just wondering if there were any opportunity where the auto may have an edge. Guess not. I used to have a Maxima that ran the 1/8 in 9.6 and I got beat by a Taurus once (with the base engine) because I didn't launch right. Yeah sad to admit but true.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Well yeah, I know, I was just wondering if there were any opportunity where the auto may have an edge. Guess not. I used to have a Maxima that ran the 1/8 in 9.6 and I got beat by a Taurus once (with the base engine) because I didn't launch right. Yeah sad to admit but true.
If you compare a manually shifted automatic versus a 5-speed, there won't be anything like a one second difference. I manually shift twice to the 1/4, and I would bet slips (the pink ones) that I can go from my first gear to second gear faster than a "5-speed with a good driver" can.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:58 AM

Yes, automatics are nice for high powered dragsters because they are very consistent and can be made to shift very quickly.

Unfortunately, in our application there is more drivetrain loss and we have one less gear to spread the power out. The 5-speeds will take autos at the track unless you're heavly moded.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
If you compare a manually shifted automatic versus a 5-speed, there won't be anything like a one second difference. I manually shift twice to the 1/4, and I would bet slips (the pink ones) that I can go from my first gear to second gear faster than a "5-speed with a good driver" can.
Damn, looks like you would loose your car then. Manually shifting an automatic has no benefit what so ever over just going WOT and shifting at redline (or near it). The 1+ second difference between the two would still remain. Back when I still had my slush box, I tested this at the track, and I never ever could get a quicker time that way.

I dont know about you, but I can slam second gear in my manual pretty God damned quick. Not to mention I get burn out on the 1-2 shift when I nail it. No way is an auto quicker.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, **** off, (j/k), I'll just go pick up an SL600 convertible, rip to 60 in 3.6 seconds and the 1/4 in 11.9 with my stock automatic tranny 500 HP Benz STOCK FROM THE FACTORY. That's absolutely insane, yes the numbers are accurate.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Hey guys, **** off, (j/k), I'll just go pick up an SL600 convertible, rip to 60 in 3.6 seconds and the 1/4 in 11.9 with my stock automatic tranny 500 HP Benz STOCK FROM THE FACTORY. That's absolutely insane, yes the numbers are accurate.
Too bad a ford gt costs about a quarter of that car and with 550 hp and a 6spd lsd manual stock from the factory, it will eat that benz for breakfast. Maybe if that benz came with a manual it could actually contend.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Too bad a ford gt costs about a quarter of that car and with 550 hp and a 6spd lsd manual stock from the factory, it will eat that benz for breakfast. Maybe if that benz came with a manual it could actually contend.

Wrong. First of all the FORD costs 157k, more than 30k north of the SL600. Second, the Ford has the same 0-60 time and a quatermile time of only .3 seconds faster. It wouldn't eat the Benz for breakfast at all. Yeah, the Benz with a 5spd auto. What's more, and what I was originally saying, the Benz isn't even made out to be a race car, yet it will out accelerate almost everything and anything on the road. I was just pointing out that you can have all the luxury and prestige of one of the finest M-B products and yet eat up Ferraris and Porches at the drag strip- with an auto. That's pretty impressive.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Wrong. First of all the FORD costs 157k, more than 30k north of the SL600. Second, the Ford has the same 0-60 time and a quatermile time of only .3 seconds faster. It wouldn't eat the Benz for breakfast at all. Yeah, the Benz with a 5spd auto. What's more, and what I was originally saying, the Benz isn't even made out to be a race car, yet it will out accelerate almost everything and anything on the road. I was just pointing out that you can have all the luxury and prestige of one of the finest M-B products and yet eat up Ferraris and Porches at the drag strip- with an auto. That's pretty impressive.
Wrong. The best time that c+d could get out of the sl600 was a flat 13.0 @ 155 mph. They got a 11.5 @ a solid 200 mph from the ford gt. And dont even bother with talking about 0-60 times cuase all that measures is traction. 1/4 mile is where its all at!!

At 1.5 sec. apart in the 1/4, they difference is night and day. The gt would several car lengths ahead before the driver of the sl could even plant his foot all the way into the gas. ****, he would give up at 60 cause the gt would be al the way down the road. Pretty sad for twin turbo v12... Hell a 350z with the basic bolt ons would give that thing a run for its money!!

I'll admit that I exagerated the price of the sl, but my point was that german cars are a huge rip off for what you get. The only benz that is in the league of the gt is the slr mclaren (both achieved the exact same 1/4 mile), which I am afraid does indeed cost 4 times as much...
Old 08-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wrong. The best time that c+d could get out of the sl600 was a flat 13.0 @ 155 mph. They got a 11.5 @ a solid 200 mph from the ford gt. And dont even bother with talking about 0-60 times cuase all that measures is traction. 1/4 mile is where its all at!!

At 1.5 sec. apart in the 1/4, they difference is night and day. The gt would several car lengths ahead before the driver of the sl could even plant his foot all the way into the gas. ****, he would give up at 60 cause the gt would be al the way down the road. Pretty sad for twin turbo v12... Hell a 350z with the basic bolt ons would give that thing a run for its money!!

I'll admit that I exagerated the price of the sl, but my point was that german cars are a huge rip off for what you get. The only benz that is in the league of the gt is the slr mclaren (both achieved the exact same 1/4 mile), which I am afraid does indeed cost 4 times as much...
Wrong.

This is from the Car and Driver website. Here is the link.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door roadster
Price as tested: $136,870 (base price: $129,270)
Engine type: twin-turbocharged and intercooled SOHC 36-valve V-12, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 336 cu in, 5513cc
Power (SAE net): 493 bhp @ 5000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 590 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm

Transmission: 5-speed automatic with
manumatic shifting
Wheelbase: 100.8 in
Length/width/height: 178.5/72.0/51.0 in
Curb weight: 4501 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: .8.6 sec
Zero to 120 mph: .11.9 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 4.5 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 11.9 sec @ 120 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph

They also went on to say:
"Cut to the department of elapsed time. From a standing start, the Mercedes SL600 can hurl its 4501-pound bulk to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds. Does that sound like a very brief interval? Clue: yes.

Allow us to illustrate.The Porsche 911 GT2 we tested in March 2002—456 horsepower, 457 pound-feet of torque—required 3.8 seconds to achieve mile-a-minute velocity. The Dodge Viper we tested in November '02—500 horsepower, 525 pound-feet—took 3.9 seconds. The 911 GT3 and Ferrari Challenge Stradale in our January issue each clocked in at 4.0 seconds.

Let's check the next notch on the elapsed-time yardstick. The 911 GT2 covered the quarter-mile in 12 seconds flat, the Viper in 12.1, the GT3 and Stradale in 12.3 and 12.4, respectively. The SL600 did it in 11.9. That's not quite as quick as the Ford GT, but it would have put this elegant Benz in a tie for fifth place (out of 15 cars) in the quarter-mile elapsed-time competition in our September 2002 "Supercar Challenge."

So yeah what if the GT is a few ticks faster, like I said, this is the top-dawg Benz, that will blow Ferraris and Porches away all while the driver is enjoying the luxury of one of M-B's finest products.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

BTW, regarding top speed, I can't directly reference the 600, but Motor Trend did a high speed test a year or so ago with a CL55 which has the weaker engine. Top speed of 187 with the governer still on. What MB did then was remove one governer or something like that, I do remember them saying in some form or another that completely ungoverned the car could attain 200. And this wasn't even the V-12.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Armed and Dangerous

So yeah what if the GT is a few ticks faster, like I said, this is the top-dawg Benz, that will blow Ferraris and Porches away all while the driver is enjoying the luxury of one of M-B's finest products.
Too bad none of the data mathces the the data in the August issue of the magazine .

Quick Reply: Is your auto really laggy?