Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Hmm. Vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:45 AM

Hmm. Vibration at highway speeds

I just had my 02 I35 checked at the local dealership for a squeel/metal rubbing noise and for vibrations coming from the steering wheel. I think Rattli had a posting on this a month or so ago.

For the vibration, they just rebalanced all four wheels as the service rep stated that all four tires were about a half or quarter of an ounce off. I already told them that I had the wheels balanced already (and that was put as comments when I made the appointment) and the rep just stated the other tire shop probably did not have their balancing machine calibrated correctly. Driving home last night, I am still getting a vibration when driving at highway speeds. Are the OEM wheels just bad now or is there something else they should have checked out? (and did I just waste $60)

Now, with regards to the rubbing metal noise, all they did was lube the sway bar bushings and I still heard a bit of noise when parking up my driveway (over a curb) or when making a right or left turn when the weight of the car transfers to the front. (not the brakes)

I don't think the sway bar has anything to do with the vibration but I want to get these issues resolved before my original warranty expires. Any suggestions?

Danke

PS: The service rep did mention I was going to get a follow up letter in a week or so if the issues are still not resolved and I guess I will let him know of the results.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 PM

It could be a bent wheel, bad bearings, or a bad tie rod if the wheels are balanced correctly. Check the tie rods, that could be the vibration and the noise.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Got Projectors?

Are your brake rotors warped?

I know I had some vibration at highway speeds that seemed to go away when I had some warped rotors resurfaced.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Are your brake rotors warped?

I know I had some vibration at highway speeds that seemed to go away when I had some warped rotors resurfaced.
Hey Meta,

I don't think its the brakes as if they were warped I should be feeling it pulsating when applying them. So far my brakes are smooth.

I guess I'll have a family member listen to my car when driving up the curb on my driveway. (should have done this first but I guess I was having a brain fart) At least it may help identify where exactly the noise is coming from.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Got Projectors?

Yeah, that's why I asked. If they're not warped then that wouldn't solve anything to resurface them.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 AM

get the wheels balanced and the rod aligned, it should go away..
Old 08-22-2005, 12:32 PM

Hey Meta, when you had your rotors resurfaced did you get that covered under warranty? I have about 29K on my 2002 and i can hear and feel a vibrating of the brakes when i apply the brakes over 40 mph. I mean my car is covered under warranty until next march but i don't know if they would cover the rotors.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Got Projectors?

The first time I had mine re-surfaced (It was either 11k or 19k miles) they covered it under warranty. After that they claimed that I had to do it myself. Even complained to Infiniti Corporate and got nothing.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Uber-Oakley
I just had my 02 I35 checked at the local dealership for a squeel/metal rubbing noise and for vibrations coming from the steering wheel. I think Rattli had a posting on this a month or so ago.

For the vibration, they just rebalanced all four wheels as the service rep stated that all four tires were about a half or quarter of an ounce off. I already told them that I had the wheels balanced already (and that was put as comments when I made the appointment) and the rep just stated the other tire shop probably did not have their balancing machine calibrated correctly. Driving home last night, I am still getting a vibration when driving at highway speeds. Are the OEM wheels just bad now or is there something else they should have checked out? (and did I just waste $60)

Now, with regards to the rubbing metal noise, all they did was lube the sway bar bushings and I still heard a bit of noise when parking up my driveway (over a curb) or when making a right or left turn when the weight of the car transfers to the front. (not the brakes)

I don't think the sway bar has anything to do with the vibration but I want to get these issues resolved before my original warranty expires. Any suggestions?

Danke

PS: The service rep did mention I was going to get a follow up letter in a week or so if the issues are still not resolved and I guess I will let him know of the results.
My steering wheel used to vibrate when at high way speeds. When I replaced my struts with the illuminas, it went away. How many miles do you have?

As far as the rubbing metal noise, it could be low brake pads (possible that the pads were worn unevenly and now one area is worn down to the metal, which is scraping on the rotor), or possibly a bad shim. Or it could even be a bad front wheel bearing.