Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

I30 Versus Max

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:32 AM

I30 Versus Max

I'm looking at buying a new car in about three/four months....since I already have a '95 Max SE, I was looking into what would be the best I30 to buy, year and engine maintenance wise. The reason I'm buying another car is because the Max has almost 190,000 miles on it, and I don't want to add 330 miles every other month going home from school.

Understand, I'm not trying to say the I30 should be used as a beater or anything of the sort. I just need another car for School , and I figured an I30 would be a good car to buy.

Thanks .
Old 08-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by ArcticW
I'm looking at buying a new car in about three/four months....since I already have a '95 Max SE, I was looking into what would be the best I30 to buy, year and engine maintenance wise. The reason I'm buying another car is because the Max has almost 190,000 miles on it, and I don't want to add 330 miles every other month going home from school.

Understand, I'm not trying to say the I30 should be used as a beater or anything of the sort. I just need another car for School , and I figured an I30 would be a good car to buy.

Thanks .
Sounds to me like you should buy a beater. Why spend the extra money on an I30 when a honda civic or nissan sentra would suffice??
Old 08-20-2005, 01:23 PM

if you think that your 95 will die soon, why not just drive it till it dies?? save insurance, n more time to save up mroe money to get a BETTER car later on. if you're paying for your own insurance tho, its abotu the same price for 2 cars as if it was for one. but i dunno why you would get the i30 n use it as a beater. if i were you, i'd get a decent i30 with relatively low miles n use the max as a beater...but 330 miles isn't a lot every other month. heck, i do 330 miles between 1-3 days.....so basically i'll always have a beater?????????
Old 08-20-2005, 07:08 PM

sell the max and buy the best I30 you can afford
Old 08-23-2005, 05:15 AM

Not to sway you from the I30 (an excellent choice btw) but I think I would likewise run the Max until it died and will go no further.

By now, it probably has some valve tick on it and maybe leaks a little oil. I'm not sure what else tends to go south on that model, but I imagine that you've probably already replaced stuff like the alternator and various other normal wear-out stuff for that year & mileage. I'm thinking keep it, clean it up a bit here & there (maybe take out the interior & scrub it down?) do as little required maintenance on it as needed and save the larger cash for the Infiniti when you get closer to out of school or first good job.

You'll have better Spring Breaks, be able to afford Christmas and not have to drink the cheapest beer... (If not that, then perhaps a DP for some property?)

If you get the Infiniti, I'm guessing you'll get a unit that has about 70-90K miles on it and be about a 98-2001 ...and unfortunately, you'll be subject to replacing the things that (although rarely) fail (but can) at that mileage, like coil packs, starters, exhaust & alternators.

So unless yours is blowing blue smoke, knocking or is absloutely an eyesore to look at, I'd drive it and be very happy. Of course, if you just want a change and don't need to worry so much about $, I'd get the 01 Touring Edition in Silver with black leather interior.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:06 PM

Well, you could buy an I30 and use that as your normal car and use your max to commute. That'd make more sense since the I30 will presumably have less miles and a few little extras not on your max. As for best years, same as the maxima pretty much. I'd recommend getting a 98 (which is what I have myself) since you will get the slightly updated rear and avoid the coil problems on the 99s.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 AM

mmm... I'll change my preference to match Gates... A 98 will be great.

I'm still in the "keep it" camp though as oppoosed to paying for insurance, upkeep and potential parking problems on 2 cars. In school, often times (depending on where your crib is) you might not be able to have 2 cars.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:16 AM

The reason why I want an I30/35 (yeah ,i've looked at the late models . Ebay ,ya know? ) is because the Max is a good car, its lasted almost 200K miles, and has a lot of life left in it. The reason I consider a second car is because , for some of the mods i'm planning for the Max, it'll be off the road for a little while because of installation time. In the meantime, I'll be hoofing it without a second car. Thus , the I30/35 comes into play. By the time I'll get the money for mods, i'll be able to afford the Infiniti. By then, hopefully gas prices will be under control by then .

The perfect garage: I35 for impressing the neighbors , Maxima SE for impressing the cops.

Who needs a TransAm when you have two VQ's ?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by ArcticW
The reason why I want an I30/35 (yeah ,i've looked at the late models . Ebay ,ya know? ) is because the Max is a good car, its lasted almost 200K miles, and has a lot of life left in it. The reason I consider a second car is because , for some of the mods i'm planning for the Max, it'll be off the road for a little while because of installation time. In the meantime, I'll be hoofing it without a second car. Thus , the I30/35 comes into play. By the time I'll get the money for mods, i'll be able to afford the Infiniti. By then, hopefully gas prices will be under control by then .

The perfect garage: I35 for impressing the neighbors , Maxima SE for impressing the cops.

Who needs a TransAm when you have two VQ's ?
Hoofing it?? It still sounds like your best option would be a fuel effiecient beater honda for commuting.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Apple Pie Monster

I agree with the hon-duh......A couple 3rd genners just did the same thing for the same reason.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:23 PM

2000+ I30T best bang for the buck in my opinion