Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

1997 I30t Rear Motor Mount question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005 | 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1997 I30t Rear Motor Mount question

Hey guys, I know some of you might think this deserves to be in the 4th gen section, but just stay tuned.

I took a look at my rear motor mount the other day and discovered that it is torn. The interesting thing that I noticed while I was under the car is that both the front and rear mounts are electronically controlled. When I looked in the 1997 Maxima Factory Service Manual, it shows that the Maximas only had the front one controlled. This is where my question applies. Am I getting some other wire that goes near the rear mount confused with it being controlled, or am I right in that I need to buy one that is controlled? I haven't been able to find an electronic version of the I30 for a reasonable price yet, so I can't check that, but I was wondering if anyone else has changed theirs and seen this as well.

Also, I looked on everythinginfiniti.com and they have two rear mounts listed: one with ECS and one w/o ECS. I'm assuming that ECS is referring to the engine control system? and that I have that, but could that be referring to Electronically Controlled Steering since that is something that shows up when looking for a steering rack?

I'm hoping that I don't need the electric one since it's about 3 times the price of the other.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Old 09-28-2005 | 02:15 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I thought that only the front mount was electronically contolled... Anyways, it is a feature of the auto tranny. The manual cars just got regular mounts.

Why don't you call everythingnissan and see if the rear one is electronically controlled?
Old 09-28-2005 | 03:27 PM

I do have an auto. Also when I check the collision catalog instead of the mechanical, it only shows one rear mount. The one it shows is thankfully the cheaper one. As soon as I hear back from them, I will go ahead and purchase it, unless someone has looked in an Infiniti I30 service manual and sees something says the rear one is controlled.
Old 09-28-2005 | 08:44 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by BlackKnight
I do have an auto. Also when I check the collision catalog instead of the mechanical, it only shows one rear mount. The one it shows is thankfully the cheaper one. As soon as I hear back from them, I will go ahead and purchase it, unless someone has looked in an Infiniti I30 service manual and sees something says the rear one is controlled.
I would look in my FSM for you, if I could, but I lent it to a friend who needed it to rebuild the sunroof on his 96 with the sunroof repair kit.
Old 09-28-2005 | 10:31 PM

does anyone know where I could get the pdf version of it much like phatg20.net has the maxima ones available? I don't really have $210 bucks to shell out for a manual. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2005 | 10:56 PM

just call everythinginfiniti.com with your VIN. they could tell you which to order and wont charge for the research
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:00 PM
Armed and Dangerous

You dont need an FSM for this!! Just call everythingnissan... they will be able to tell you what you need.
Old 10-03-2005 | 11:37 AM

In case anyone was wondering the same thing I was, everythinginfiniti.com said that the manual and auto rear mounts are the same. I went ahead and ordered one and it cost me just under $70. Thanks for the help guys.

btw, I'm still looking for a cheap or free CD copy of the 97 I30 FSM.
Old 10-03-2005 | 07:38 PM

OK....I gotta ask. I was up under mine this weekend for an oil/filter change & looked at the mounts (as best I could see) and don't see anything on the motor mounts that has any hint of electronics on it....

I'm not debating as I believe you've see it & are about to work on it...but what am I looking for exactly and can you tell me the function of having electronics on the engine mount(s)? (dampening jolts, negating torque twist, etc.?)

Thanks in advance... I though I knew all of the features it had but I learn again in here all the time.

Mine is an auto...
Old 10-03-2005 | 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Double E
OK....I gotta ask. I was up under mine this weekend for an oil/filter change & looked at the mounts (as best I could see) and don't see anything on the motor mounts that has any hint of electronics on it....

I'm not debating as I believe you've see it & are about to work on it...but what am I looking for exactly and can you tell me the function of having electronics on the engine mount(s)? (dampening jolts, negating torque twist, etc.?)

Thanks in advance... I though I knew all of the features it had but I learn again in here all the time.

Mine is an auto...
According to the Nissan Maxima FSM, the front motor mount on Auto GLE's, SE's and I assume I30's is electronically controlled. What that means is that at idle, the liquid filled mounts are not given an electrical signal and are much softer so that the car idles smoothly (at least the feel that is transferred into the cabin is smooth), and when the car is above 2000 RPM for more than 2 seconds, it switches to a full battery signal and hardens the mount for quick and harder shifts. This is kinda like having rubber mounts at idle and Urethane mounts under acceleration, I guess.

As far as what to look for, get under the car and look for a wire coming down from the top of the transaxle and going INTO the front motor mount. You should see it pretty well. The FSM actually makes it look like it's on the top of the mount, but I actually saw it inside of the bracket. The main thing is noting the wire going into the mount. There's nowhere else it could go, so it should be easy to see.

If you have an I30t, you should most definitely have the front one. The only one in question was whether the rear one was controlled or not, which I found out it isn't.

Later.
Old 10-05-2005 | 07:22 PM

Alrighty...thanks. I'll look for it soon.
Old 10-09-2005 | 04:09 PM

Ok guys, so I received my new motor mount the other day and today I went to install it, but while I was under there taking stuff apart, I noticed that I most certainly have an electronically controlled rear mount. I actually stuck my finger inside the mount bracket and felt the actuator that is the same as on the front mount. So, to correct my previous statement, both front and rear on I30t's are electric. I would still like to see the I30 service manual to see how it is wired up. Btw, I noticed that both my front and rear mounts are perfect, no tears or splits. So now I'm still wondering what the rocking is coming from. This can't be normal since I've driven other maximas and they don't rock when letting off and pressing on the accelerator like mine does. I hate to say, but it sounds like it would have to be in the tranny. Anyways, good luck to anyone else who might be having my same problem.
Old 10-09-2005 | 06:19 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Ok guys, so I received my new motor mount the other day and today I went to install it, but while I was under there taking stuff apart, I noticed that I most certainly have an electronically controlled rear mount. I actually stuck my finger inside the mount bracket and felt the actuator that is the same as on the front mount. So, to correct my previous statement, both front and rear on I30t's are electric. I would still like to see the I30 service manual to see how it is wired up. Btw, I noticed that both my front and rear mounts are perfect, no tears or splits. So now I'm still wondering what the rocking is coming from. This can't be normal since I've driven other maximas and they don't rock when letting off and pressing on the accelerator like mine does. I hate to say, but it sounds like it would have to be in the tranny. Anyways, good luck to anyone else who might be having my same problem.
Hmmm so both are electrically controlled. R

But remember its not an issue of being a T or not. It is all dependent on if the car is an auto or manual as a manual T does not have them.
Old 10-09-2005 | 07:34 PM

You're absolutely right about the fact that only the autos had it, but as far as whether the standard I30 is like the GLE and SE Maximas and only has the front controlled or if both the I30 and I30t had both controlled. I'd still like to know that for sure.
Old 10-09-2005 | 07:40 PM
Armed and Dangerous

You're absolutely right about the fact that only the autos had it, but as far as whether the standard I30 is like the GLE and SE Maximas and only has the front controlled or if both the I30 and I30t had both controlled. I'd still like to know that for sure.
so your saying that the auto gle and se auto maximas only have a front electrically controlled motor mount?
Old 10-10-2005 | 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
so your saying that the auto gle and se auto maximas only have a front electrically controlled motor mount?
As far as the Nissan FSM says, only the front is. That is why I'm so confused about mine. The reason I think it may just be the i30t is because of the VLSD tranny, and again, it is still an auto. Maybe the LSD causes a little more harshness on the mounts than the standard and needs that added softness in low speed. I don't know though. I really need an FSM for an I30 to verify.
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:09 PM
Armed and Dangerous

As far as the Nissan FSM says, only the front is. That is why I'm so confused about mine. The reason I think it may just be the i30t is because of the VLSD tranny, and again, it is still an auto. Maybe the LSD causes a little more harshness on the mounts than the standard and needs that added softness in low speed. I don't know though. I really need an FSM for an I30 to verify.
My fsm is for an I30, and from what I can recall only the front has it... in both the standard, leather, and t models, but since you say yours has it on the rear too, I am going to look in it again.
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:52 PM

All I can say is that I saw and felt some kind of actuator that is on the underside of the mount inside of the bracket that connects to the crossmember. It may be for something else (can't see why since the front has it in the same place), but it has to be for the electric mounts. There's only one other possibility (though can't really be considered that) is that someone mounted a front mount on the back as well, but that can't really be true since the arrow on the mount is facing forward like it should and the fact that the wire coming out of the mount definitely goes to the engine harness. The only custom wiring that's been done on my car is what I've done for the cefiro headlights and rewired fogs, so I can't imagine that they just tapped into the front connector. I'm really stumped if you can't find anything on it in the manual.
Old 10-19-2005 | 09:33 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Looked at in my FSM the other nite and all AT models regardless of tirm only had electronically controlled front mount... What you are feeling near the rear mount must be something else.
Old 10-19-2005 | 09:39 PM

Well, I finally joined with Alldatadiy.com and I looked at that manual, and I agree that according to the manual, there was only one electronic mount. That said, here is the statement that everythinginfiniti.com gave me when I told them I was returning the mount, "Hello. Sorry the one you ordered didn't work out. Sounds like you needed the one with the 'Active Damper'." I am not mistaken that the electronic thing on my front and rear mounts are exactly the same. My proof is that I took the air cleaner assembly off and found that the wires going to the front mount, were also connected to the rear mount, and it wasn't done by an amateur, it is factory connections. So, I don't know why mine has it. Anyways, it is confirmed that I have both front and rear controlled mounts.
Old 10-19-2005 | 09:54 PM
Armed and Dangerous

So much for the accuracy of the FSM.
Old 10-21-2005 | 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
So much for the accuracy of the FSM.
No disagreements there.

I still don't know what's causing the rocking feeling. Oh well, guess I'll have to live with it. It can't be normal though, because if it were, I wouldn't have bought one new (it's used).
Old 09-27-2010 | 08:33 PM
ef9

I have an '96 I30T and looking at replacing my steering rack and pinion. I need to know which rack to purchase as there are two different ones available for my car.

I need to either purchase the one with ECS or without ECS. The electronically controlled suspension seems to be something dealing with shock absorbers, not with motor mounts.

But I guess the motor mounts could be the cause of different steering racks. The price difference between the two racks are huge (at Napa)! I think it was almost $200 difference!