Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

My friends 96 I30t 5spd black on black is a cursed lemon!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Armed and Dangerous

My friends 96 I30t 5spd black on black is a cursed lemon!!!

My friends 96 I30t 5spd black on black is a complete lemon piece of ****.

First, the tranny differential side bearings go out. He gets it rebuilt (against my advise... he should have just gotten a new one for $1500 from everythingnissan) and we install it with a stillen flywhweel and (against my advise) a spec stage III.

Right after that the power antenna craps out.

A few weeks after that the CD player stops working.

After that he gets an exhaust leak out of a softball sized hole in the flex section and the y pipe. So replace the y pipe with an after market one.

Then 8,000 later the spec (of couse) blows apart and fuccs up the stillen flywheel. So we pull the tranny again and install the basic 4th gen clutch (he got the sh!tty luk) and oem flywheel.

Then a few months later his front strut bearings start to squeek and his back struts blow out and clunk over every bump. So we put in illuminas all the way around with CE drop springs and new oem suspension componets.

A week after that his water pump starts to leak so we replace that.

Then, a few weeks after that the passenger side axle boot had opened up really badly and flung grease everywhere.

Then (and I **** you not) a week after that the main (or input... I really dont remember) shaft bearing starts to whine really badly. All the while he his getting horrible squeeks from the bushings on his sh!tty knock off rear sway. So, we pull the tranny again to get rebuilt. We reinstall it with a 5th gen clutch and we put a new contact surface on the stillen flyweel (fucced up from the spec III) and install that again and replace both axles with raxles axles. We also replaced his leaking rearmain and removed the rear sway to stop the squeeks.

A few days after that front sway bar (or something) starts squeeking over every bump. The problem still remains.

A week after that his brake master cylinder goes out and so we replace that.

A few weeks later one of his fans starts making a horrible grinding noise every time it comes on. He unplugs it to stop the noise.

Then a few days after that the speedo gauge stops working... NOTHING. The speedo had been going in and out for about the past 2 years, but it just finally had it. About a year ago, I did some research on the org and found that the screws can come loose on the back side, so we pulled the cluster, tightened the screws up which solved the problem for a little while, but the problem just came back.

Then, a few weeks after that the sunroof craps out in the OPEN position and wont close. At the same time he notices that he is grinding 5th EVERY TIME. So we get a sunroof repair kit and tear apart the whole interior to fix the sunroof all while we pull the tranny again to get rebuilt again!! We fix the sunroof (cables went out) with the repair kit and reinstall the tranny again.

A week after that the driver's side differential oil seal starts leaking oil (probably not installed correctly by the tranny shop) so we put in a new one of those.

Exactly one week after that, the lower rubber clutch lines start leaking bad. He had keep filling it every day. So, we replace the lower lines, and bleed the system.

That night, his alternator craps out. His battery never gats recharged, so he had to recharge the battery every night with a battery charger. The longest he could go was about a day and a half before the car died. So, we replaced the alternator a few days ago.

The car still has the squeeks in the front, a banging b pipe that bangs around on the rear beam piviot over every bump (from a sh!tty install on a muffler from the muffler shop). The auto climate control lights are burnt out, along with the heated seat switches. The antenna, speedo, and CD player still dont work. The engine fan is still unplugged and the trunk leaks in water (which collects in large quantities in the spare tire area and must be drained). The trunk lid itself doest close half the time and will pop up while driving over a large bump, and the driver's side window is extremely slow when going up (on the verge of crapping out)!!!

What will be next?!? That car needs to be painted yellow and have the **** beat out of it with a fuccing hammer!!!

MY GOD!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:17 PM

Dang doods! Get it quiet again and sell to dealer, (disclosing what you know).
Old 10-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Everything since the spec III blowing has occured with in the past year. If it was not for the trouble free ownership experience of that I have with my I30 (only had to replace the KS and the fuel pump in the past 4 years), I would have thought that ALL Infiniti/ Nissan vehicles are crap. This obviously is false and his sh!tty lemon is a scourge on all Nissans.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:05 PM
大陆弟弟

Jeez...sell that ish already!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Got Projectors?

Dear god. I think I would have carmax'd it much earlier and moved on.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM

fix it dont drive it at all and sell it privately
Old 10-28-2005, 08:31 PM

Check the suspension insulation rubber piece see photo

Originally Posted by i30ds
A few days after that front sway bar (or something) starts squeeking over every bump. The problem still remains.
The Insulation rubber piece (The one on top of the maybe torn on the squeeking side see photo below on the left hand side):

SY
sycefiro@yahoo.com
Old 10-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by SYCEFIRO
The Insulation rubber piece (The one on top of the maybe torn on the squeeking side see photo below on the left hand side):

SY
sycefiro@yahoo.com
That stuff was replaced with during the complete suspension rebuild. I'm pretty sure its coming from the front sway bushings, or maybe the tie rod end bushings. Both are extremely cracked worn out.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Normally, I would care less about another man's issues with his vehicle, but he is my friend and I can't leave him twisting in the wind, and he does need my help with this stuff. I'm just getting pissed at the fact that I spend more of my free time fixing his **** box instead of modding my own ride. Hell, Ive had a mevi kit sitting on my work bench for the last 3 weeks, which is just begging to be installed.

I told him to sell the fuccer about half way through this whole mess, but he loves that damned thing so much. He is determined to keep fixing things until all this bullsh!t gets resolved. The only problem is that if you look at the frequency in which problems are occuring, they are cropping up faster than they can get fixed! Its 1 step forward, 2 steps back!

I don't think I've ever seen so many problems happening to a vehicle in a given period of time... not even various american cars I've known. I mean this is Japanese for Gods sake... What the hell is going on?!?
Old 10-29-2005, 12:27 AM

your friend must have pissed someone off. no other explanation!
Old 10-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

I don't think there's much else to go wrong in that car. Your friend must have pissed off the car gods. I can see a lot of the stuff you mentioned happening to a max/i30 at some point in its life, but not in a short period of time.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Guess what... We replaced his alternator on Wedensday and true to the trend, the CEL came on today for the VSS!!! We cleared the codes and with in a few miles it came back on again... looks like one more thing to add to the list!

**** DONT STOP!!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:30 PM

Not to worry, next week it will probably get stolen or wrecked while parked. Hopefully your friend won't be nearby....
Old 10-31-2005, 01:50 PM

Sweet Moses, dude! Any idea how much your homeboy has spent on that car? I wouldn't wish that car on anyone.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:08 PM

all i have to say is... "ouch"
Old 11-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by clayman88
Sweet Moses, dude! Any idea how much your homeboy has spent on that car? I wouldn't wish that car on anyone.
My guess is $6000. D!cking with the transmission makes up probably $4000 of that.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Call it God. Call it fate. Call it karma. I believe that there is a higher power at work here!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 PM

That situation really is $hitty.

To find the squeek, why not saturate the bushings one at a time with WD-40 and see when the squeeking stops?

What a good friend you are for putting up with this crap.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 PM

Call it God. Call it fate. Call it karma. I believe that there is a higher power at work here!!!
I think that you and your friend also have to consider the possiblity that neighborhood kids are breaking your shat at night and laughing their asses off while you fix it the next day . you never know....
Old 11-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
That situation really is $hitty.

To find the squeek, why not saturate the bushings one at a time with WD-40 and see when the squeeking stops?

What a good friend you are for putting up with this crap.
I tried that and it didnt work... all the bushings are so badly cracked and split appart.

I think a good lesson here is just because its a black on black 5spd, in excellent shape on the exterior and interior, does not mean you should just "jump" on it...
Old 11-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How many miles are on it? Also, if anyone on here has a carfax account maybe they could grab the vin from you and see what the deal is, my freind jumped on a black on black 5-speed v-8 96 mustang, the motor eventually blew and when it was torn down the guy rebuilding it said "theres no way this thing has 120k on it". My freind bought it from a lady who was the 2nd owner. Turns out when we run the carfax a month ago on it (he sold it to a freind of a freind, and it's currently sitting broken down w/junk tranny in my freinds yard) It was a company vehicle for the first 10k miles!! I'm sure that thing got broken in real nice!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:38 PM

why dont you just keep the car. After you fix everything it'll be like new.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:46 PM

hah it sounds like your freind might have been a victim of odometer fraud, on a low milage example the story would be pretty insane, but it might not be so far-fetched if the mileage is actually 200K+ and you just dont know it
Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
How many miles are on it? Also, if anyone on here has a carfax account maybe they could grab the vin from you and see what the deal is, my freind jumped on a black on black 5-speed v-8 96 mustang, the motor eventually blew and when it was torn down the guy rebuilding it said "theres no way this thing has 120k on it". My freind bought it from a lady who was the 2nd owner. Turns out when we run the carfax a month ago on it (he sold it to a freind of a freind, and it's currently sitting broken down w/junk tranny in my freinds yard) It was a company vehicle for the first 10k miles!! I'm sure that thing got broken in real nice!
The car has 140K on it. Since the speedo is out on it the odometer doesnt work either. It says 134K on it but that was about 6 months ago.

He has requested the complete service record from infiniti so we will know what the vehicle has been through shortly.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
why dont you just keep the car. After you fix everything it'll be like new.
That is basically his reasoning for not giving up yet... I have my doubts as new problems keep popping up fasters than they can be resolved.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Chapman99SE
hah it sounds like your freind might have been a victim of odometer fraud, on a low milage example the story would be pretty insane, but it might not be so far-fetched if the mileage is actually 200K+ and you just dont know it
It is possible. Maybe thats why the whole speedo side of the gauge cluster doesnt work... because it was tampered with.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Your solution is easy-

Send me the Shifter ****, free of charge-

The end.

No but seriously, if anyone has one of those shifter ***** i want it-
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 AM

It is possible. Maybe thats why the whole speedo side of the gauge cluster doesnt work... because it was tampered with.
^^this is true, but i mean is it common now a days for people to do that? I know that in the olden days it was pretty common.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

All 5MT I30s are cursed. Look at Nick's- and mine!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine had a connecting rod decided to leave the engine.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
All 5MT I30s are cursed. Look at Nick's- and mine!
And to think that I converted mine... Oh well, its worth the performance.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by zack342
Yeah but that guy was a dumb @ss that was determined to drive that car into the ground... After his diff bearings went out he was probably like "I'm gonna show this fuccing thing".
Old 11-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by BRUNOJLB
Your solution is easy-

Send me the Shifter ****, free of charge-

The end.

No but seriously, if anyone has one of those shifter ***** i want it-
Why would you want his shifter ****?? THe thing is a piece of ****. Its all worn out and the 5spd logo is has been totally rubbed off.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:32 AM

Why would you want his shifter ****?? THe thing is a piece of ****. Its all worn out and the 5spd logo is has been totally rubbed off.
I think he was kidding.... psycho
Old 11-26-2005, 02:28 PM

I think he wants your Anniversary Maxima Shift ****
Old 11-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
I think he was kidding.... psycho
I am aware. It is apparent that he didnt read the thing other wise he would not have said that.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by SYCEFIRO
I think he wants your Anniversary Maxima Shift ****
Over my dead body.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by zack342

WOW...........mine did the same thing I sold it to a very popular org member and it has continued to give him problems since he replaced the engine. The rod left a 4 inch gash in the bottom of the engine.