Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:12 PM

Strut bar

Does it make a diffirence? can anyone provide a link where i can order a strut bar for my 2000 i30?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:21 PM

If the ones from the maxima's fit.. You should find plenty on Ebay..

If you don't do any aggressive driving and take corners really hard like in Auto-X'ing you don't need it..
Old 10-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Got Projectors?

You won't feel much of a difference. I found that the car feels a little "tighter" during lane changes and such at highway speeds.

And yes, the maxima stb will fit. Just buy the cheapest one you can find on eBay. They all essentially do the same thing.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Armed and Dangerous

You will feel the difference. I can't imagine NOT having one... although I would say that about most my mods.

Its MUCH tighter. Throw on springs, struts, and a rsb to complete the package. After that it will ride on rails.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:43 PM

thanks! i dont have an e-bay account, so was looking for something from a site. Found this on Paradox Systems http://www.paradox-systems.com/produ...products_id=89

is it any good, it's pretty cheap compared to what i've looked at for other cars?

Originally Posted by i30ds
You will feel the difference. I can't imagine NOT having one... although I would say that about most my mods.

Its MUCH tighter. Throw on springs, struts, and a rsb to complete the package. After that it will ride on rails.
What's rsb, rear sway bar....
Old 10-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by i30ish
thanks! i dont have an e-bay account, so was looking for something from a site. Found this on Paradox Systems http://www.paradox-systems.com/produ...products_id=89

is it any good?
Should work just fine.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Got Projectors?

Ride on rails? I think we're being a little optimistic about the A32/A33 chassis..

FWIW, I never noticed much of a difference. This was driving two identical cars (one with STB, and one without) back to back.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Ride on rails? I think we're being a little optimistic about the A32/A33 chassis..

FWIW, I never noticed much of a difference. This was driving two identical cars (one with STB, and one without) back to back.
Rides on rails about the best a FWD can.

With all the stuff I have on, I would say it is the best handling FWD car I have ever driven... more so than my old vigor which had full independent wish bone all the way around.

I remember what my car was like before I put all the suspension stuff on. Pure Jelly. The VLSD, struts and springs showed the most improvement but the fstb and rsb were still critical... rsb more so than fstb, but it is still key to the complete set up.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Got Projectors?

Glad to hear you're satisfied. I always felt my GF's former 4th gen felt much tighter than my A33 (and hers was stock with 15" steelies). She now has a Mazda3 2.3s, and that has to be the best handling FWD car I've driven thus far. I almost hate getting back into my car after driving hers.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:59 AM

My experience with strut bars is that you must really know your car to notice the difference. It will help.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:12 AM

I grabbed on off e-bay for about $45 shipped. It was a cinch to install and I did notice some difference in roll and overall cornering. Most of them can be preloaded but the cheaper ones like I got probably flex too much to make the preloading (tightening up the adjusting bolts to "push" out or pull together the strut towers) effective.

(Stillen makes a real nice looking unit and is probably a better component.)

For installation, all you need is a socket/wrench set big enough to remove the 3 bolts on each strut tower and an open end wrench to adjust the nuts on the brace. Make sure to tighten the strut bolts!

Be aware that some of the mounting collars are well designed enough that they fit perfectly. Others are not and will require that a small bracket on the driver's side strut tower be removed. The bracket is not used for anything and comes off with a Dremel tool easily. Interesting that the same bracket on my '97 was in a different location.

On my 2000, (Limited) the bracket had to be removed. When I sold it, I removed the tower brace and put it on my '97t and no bracket removal was needed. In any case, it is an easy adjustment.

I recommend getting an e-bay account. (Free, convenient and can link to a credit card or checking account for payments.)
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

Either way, it’s only 30 $. I assume it’s not adjustable, how important is it for strut bar to be adjustable? Does anyone know where I can order rear sway bar?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:10 AM

I think you'd want a sway bar adjustable more so than a strut bar, but to answer you more directly. An adjustable strut bar isn't really needed.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:44 AM

49.99 at www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:50 AM

i think the link is wrong, it does not lead anywhere. i searched the site, still can't find it...
Old 11-02-2005, 07:39 AM
大陆弟弟

I guess I'll be the only one paying more $ for the Alutec FSTB from Paradox
Old 11-02-2005, 07:59 AM

I really wanted the Cattman, but had a hard time justifying a $200 strut brace. i ended up going with the OTTO fstb from what is now Sport Compact Only. It was only like $50 and quality/fitment are great.

As far as performance, I felt an immediate difference. It wasn't anything huge, but my car definitely felt more stable and responsive, especially on the highway. My car also seemed to handle bumps better because of the stiffening of the structure.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Driving is the next best thing

I recommend looking at this thread, it traces step by step how I ended up buying OTTO, how I installed it and the difference I felt. The last page is the most interesting. One thing though, somewhere in that thread I said that I had to trim the FSTB brackets, nobody does that and it is not required, but for the best results it's better to cut access metal on the brackets in order for them to sit perfectly and have a maximum contact area.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=429840
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
I recommend looking at this thread, it traces step by step how I ended up buying OTTO, how I installed it and the difference I felt. The last page is the most interesting. One thing though, somewhere in that thread I said that I had to trim the FSTB brackets, nobody does that and it is not required, but for the best results it's better to cut access metal on the brackets in order for them to sit perfectly and have a maximum contact area.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=429840
To be more exact, make sure you read posts #18 and #43
Old 11-02-2005, 08:27 PM

Thanks, what were your exact modifications?

Originally Posted by n3985
I guess I'll be the only one paying more $ for the Alutec FSTB from Paradox
is this what you got? http://www.paradox-systems.com/produ...products_id=29

it's in maxima section, i believe it's the same thing DrKloop has. Did you make any modifications to fit your i30/35?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:31 PM

sorry on bad link just go to www.courtesyparts.com and use front strut brace as the search. Search engines kind of sucks cause if you type in front strut brace maxima it has no results, but it on there for $49.99
Old 11-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 3rd Infiniti
sorry on bad link just go to www.courtesyparts.com and use front strut brace as the search. Search engines kind of sucks cause if you type in front strut brace maxima it has no results, but it on there for $49.99
Thanks, is it the one for 99-2001 Maxima GXE model?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:52 PM
大陆弟弟

it's in maxima section, i believe it's the same thing DrKloop has. Did you make any modifications to fit your i30/35?
I haven't bought it yet, but I e-mailed Paradox and they said it'll fit/
Old 11-03-2005, 01:26 PM

Thanks, what were your exact modifications?
The bracket will not be in a full contact with the strut towers because the surface is not smooth. So I just cut off a small piece of metal of the bracket.

there are four uneven spots on the lower part of this pic. Since FSTB brackets are wider than the stock brackets those uneven spots might not let the bracket to be in a full contact.

On the other side the small piece of metal welded to the strut tower might get in the way so don't hesitate to cut it off also. After everything fits perfectly cover the spots that you cut with some sort of paint, if you don't mind the looks anything that will stay on will work.

it's in maxima section, I believe it's the same thing DrKloop has. Did you make any modifications to fit your i30/35?
It’s not the one I have, I got OTTO

Originally Posted by DrKlop
The bars I considered were: Alutec from Paradox Systems, Stillen, Cattman, Custom Enterprise, ‘ebay’, and otto.

1. Paradox systems seems to be the beefiest of the group, but for some reason I still think that two bolt design is not the best for the car which was designed with three bolts (no offence, d00df00d, I might be wrong, but by getting this bar I am not ganna have that piece of mind that everything is the way it’s supposed to be.)
2. Stillen is a very good bar, many positive responses, but pricy.
3. Cattman, probably the best FSTB, made out of titanium unlike all other bars which are made of aluminum. However, $195 scares me away.
4. Custom Enterprise bar has a respected name, but on picture does not look any different than standard generic bars. Very little information is provided. Never seen anyone who has this bar. Low poll rating at the top of this thread.
5. ebay or generic bars…the thing that makes me stay away from them is the fitment problems. There were many cases there the bar was rubbing over the engine parts not fitting properly etc. They are all different so basically, if you are lucky you might get something as good as Paradox or Cattman for 30 bucks, but if you are not so lucky, you might get something that is very weak and something that needs modification in order to fit under the hood.
6. Otto –popular, good fit and finish, high poll rating at the top of this thread, many positive responses even from those who bough it after they had an ebay bar. According to the picture it looks like the brackets are made out of still. Also one thing that I found out is that it’s a copy of Stillen bar for $60.
a small correction to this quote is that OTTO is a 100% copy of Stillen and the brackets are made of still, also 100% true
Old 11-03-2005, 01:42 PM

One more thing, since I30 is identical to maxima structurally and mechanically you should have no problems installing it. It is different only in visual and comfort departments.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:33 PM

Here are some pics from my installation of strut bar.

Out of the box:

Installed:

…But not without some modification. Had to unscrew the plate with the sensor and twist it out of the way. Shortened the hose as well, because it was creating 90 degree bend, restricting air flow. Installation took around 30 min.

After driving around, I did noticed a slight change. Feels a bit stiffer, overall I’m happy, as happy as I can be with a 30 dollar strut bar.