Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Infiniti Clock Light replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
WOW, KI30t. That looks awesome!

Do tell where you got those LEDs from. They look like direct drop-in replacements.

One question though, does the light still dim when you adjust the dimmer?

I can’t seem to find the seller of the LEDs that I purchased from. Anyways, you want the T5 or 286 sized LEDs 12v. Just type that into eBay and you will get results.

Meta, yes the clock is still able to dim with the dim switch. Unfortunately, these are not direct drop-in replacements. I had to do some minor modification to them to make them fit.

I made a little write up for anyone else who might want to do the same. (Do at your own risk) You have to forgive me because I’m not real good on terminology for all this stuff.. The pics below should help with the explanation.

First you must modify the T5 LED a little so it can fit into the grey holder. Pry the leads open so they are straight. Then take a pair of needle nose pliers to lightly score then break off the extra plastic below the led. Be sure not to cut or break off the metal leads or resisters inside the led. I can’t stress enough how gentle you need to be when doing this part or you could screw up your LED. You want the extra plastic part that is not needed to slide off the two leads from your LED bulb.

Take out the old burnt bulb. You must remove it from it’s (for lack of a better word) docking station or grey holder. See how I used tweezers to pry open the two metal leads.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Once the old bulb is out, insert the new LED T5 bulb into the grey holder allowing the LED leads to fit through the holes originally used by the OEM bulbs.

Then wrap the LED leads around the grey docking station like so.

Insert the new bulbs back into your clock, and make sure that the LED leads are positioned correctly on the clock’s circuit board, meaning positive to positive and negative to negative. If you’re not sure, I put the LEDs in first then connect the clock to the harness. Put the key into the ignition and turn on the ACC. The LEDs should light up if the polarity is correct. If not, just remove the LEDs from the clock and insert them the other way buy turning them 180 degrees, they should light up now. Then enjoy your new clock that will be brighter and last a lot longer then the “Stealership” bulbs. Hope this helps.

I’m not responsible if anyone messes up anything on their car while trying this. This is only what worked for me. Perform at your own risk. Good Luck
Old 08-21-2006, 09:53 PM

Well done K!!!

I was going to upgrade my LEDs this weekend and post but you beat me to it. Nice LEDs!!!!!. They are definitely brighter than mine and I will probably end up getting those. I guess I went a little old school with my mod as I had to add the resistors separately but the one's you used are built into the base of the bulb.

Compliments on your mod!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Got Projectors?

Very nice write-up.

It looks like you used #74 "bulbs"

Additionally, I seem to have found some (autolumination calls them "neo wedge" bulbs) that look to be direct replacements, though I'm not 100% sure. Maybe you can offer some feedback on this, KI30t?

In any case, I think I might order a few just for the heck of it.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Meta, that is a great find. I wish I had known about that website before I did this mod. It would have made my life a lot easier. Anyways, the LED bulbs on autolumination.com are not direct replacements unless you purchase their "Neo Wedge Base" with them. Otherwise, you would have to do the modification I mentioned in my post above to the new LED light. So in answer to your questions, yes the bulb and base combination together from autolumination should be a direct fit to our application, but I’m not 100% sure of the base size. I'm ordering all new LED bulbs from them for my gauge cluster and AC controls.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Uber-Oakley
Well done K!!!

I was going to upgrade my LEDs this weekend and post but you beat me to it. Nice LEDs!!!!!. They are definitely brighter than mine and I will probably end up getting those. I guess I went a little old school with my mod as I had to add the resistors separately but the one's you used are built into the base of the bulb.

Compliments on your mod!

Thanks Uber. You were my inspiration.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Got Projectors?

I got my neo-wedge LEDs from autolumination today and popped them in.

No pics, but they're definitely brighter, and definitely a DIRECT drop in replacement. Absolutely no modding required.

I used white, to kind of match the color scheme of my head unit and other interior lights (installed 5-led white 194 "bulbs" in the doors at the same time and already have the white Luxeon star LED dome light).

I also bought green clock LEDs, to try out, but ended up liking the white so much I didn't bother putting the green ones in. I'll probably keep them around in case I get bored one day and feel like changing things up.

I also bought some of these:

They're called superstar bulbs and are supposed to be even brighter than the 5-led "bulbs" (by 5 led, I mean the ones with a superflux up top and 4 3mm below it). I've seen people really happy with the output, though I've heard they can also burn out quickly, so we'll see how that goes. I installed them in my license plate lights, and they were definitely brighter than the 5-led "bulbs" I had in there.

All in all a productive 15 minutes. Thanks for the pics KI30t otherwise I wouldn't have known what the original bulbs looked like as I would have never bothered to go in there anyway, LOL.

P.S. You might get the brightest light by doing the method KI30t did his. The reason being that the way he did his has the LED elevated up higher than the original bulb was. Considering the bulbs are so very buried low beneath the actual clock face, I think the closer the light source is to the clock face the brighter it will be. Mine aren't dim, by any means; they're absolutely brighter than the stock bulbs, but I have a feeling you'll get the most out of your light source the higher up it is. The neo-wedge "bulbs" I bought from autolumination are the exact same height as the original bulbs, thus my reasoning.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 AM

P.S. You might get the brightest light by doing the method KI30t did his. The reason being that the way he did his has the LED elevated up higher than the original bulb was. Considering the bulbs are so very buried low beneath the actual clock face, I think the closer the light source is to the clock face the brighter it will be. Mine aren't dim, by any means; they're absolutely brighter than the stock bulbs, but I have a feeling you'll get the most out of your light source the higher up it is. The neo-wedge "bulbs" I bought from autolumination are the exact same height as the original bulbs, thus my reasoning.
I have to agree with you Meta as mine are almost the same height as the OEMs. Still waiting for my shipment of brighter/better LEDs but I came across the same conclusion when I looked at the pics of K in comparison to mine.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM

I got my neo-wedge LEDs from autolumination today and popped them in.

No pics, but they're definitely brighter, and definitely a DIRECT drop in replacement. Absolutely no modding required.

I used white, to kind of match the color scheme of my head unit and other interior lights (installed 5-led white 194 "bulbs" in the doors at the same time and already have the white Luxeon star LED dome light).

I also bought green clock LEDs, to try out, but ended up liking the white so much I didn't bother putting the green ones in. I'll probably keep them around in case I get bored one day and feel like changing things up.

I also bought some of these:

They're called superstar bulbs and are supposed to be even brighter than the 5-led "bulbs" (by 5 led, I mean the ones with a superflux up top and 4 3mm below it). I've seen people really happy with the output, though I've heard they can also burn out quickly, so we'll see how that goes. I installed them in my license plate lights, and they were definitely brighter than the 5-led "bulbs" I had in there.

All in all a productive 15 minutes. Thanks for the pics KI30t otherwise I wouldn't have known what the original bulbs looked like as I would have never bothered to go in there anyway, LOL.

Hey:

Exactly which neo-wedge LEDs did you get for the clock? When I look on the web site there are several sizes of neo-wedge LEDs availabe. Which size fits the clock?
Old 08-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by sascuderi
Hey:

Exactly which neo-wedge LEDs did you get for the clock? When I look on the web site there are several sizes of neo-wedge LEDs availabe. Which size fits the clock?
About 1/3 of the way down the page, they have this description above them:

"Neo - Wedge Instrument Panel Bulbs are 10mm (3/8") diameter x 13mm (1/2") high"

On this page:

http://autolumination.com/74.htm

They're $2.99 each
Old 08-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Thanks!

Just place an order.

One quick question....

Did you have any trouble removing the vent cover to get to the clock? How did you do it so as not to leave tool marks on the dash piece?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uber-Oakley
I have to agree with you Meta as mine are almost the same height as the OEMs. Still waiting for my shipment of brighter/better LEDs but I came across the same conclusion when I looked at the pics of K in comparison to mine.

You both are right. It does seem a little brighter since the bulb sits a little higher and closer to the clock. After about a week of having at night with these bulbs in my clock, I'm like "damn, that is too green." I just ordered some white bulbs from autolumination so I can have a white clock again. I have an idea on how to make my clock even brighter, but I'll keep you all updated when my new bubs arrive and I get a chance to try my idea. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Got Projectors?

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.

If I gave half a damn I'd probably order some EL wire and wrap it around the outside of the clock face. That would create some intense, uniform light.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
I wish my Infiniti had an analog clock.
Tape a timex to your dash
Old 08-27-2006, 09:09 PM

I got my LEDs changed to a wide angle blue. Please forgive me about the poor pic as I loaned out my digital camera and these were taken using my cell.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:41 PM

2 LED not enough? Try Ten...

Today I was bored after work so I thought I would mess with my clock again. I thought the green LEDs in my clock were so ugly so I did some more modding. 2 Leds were not enough so I modded some hyper white wedge bulb LEDs I had laying around. These have 5 mini LEDs on each one. These are my results. My clock looks AMAZING at night and very bright. The light is still not even and uniform, but I have another Idea of how to fix that. I’ll keep you all updated.

I also stuffed two of those 5 LED per bulb lights into my shifter. It is super bright as well.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Got Projectors?

Looks nice and bright, but that almost looks too bright to drive with at night. I would think on long night trips that would kill your eyes.

Does it dim [enough] while still allowing you to see your gauges and all?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:47 PM

Looks nice and bright, but that almost looks too bright to drive with at night. I would think on long night trips that would kill your eyes.

Does it dim [enough] while still allowing you to see your gauges and all?
Yes they can still dim. They don't bother me at all durring night driving.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 PM

Wow. Keeps getting better. For me I think that it would be a little too bright but damn does it look clear.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 PM

Not really new to the org, just new to the I35 section. This info is really appreciated guys. BTW, just for fun, I thought of calling the nearest Infiniti dealer regarding those clock bulbs. I was told it's $22 a piece!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by azrael
Not really new to the org, just new to the I35 section. This info is really appreciated guys. BTW, just for fun, I thought of calling the nearest Infiniti dealer regarding those clock bulbs. I was told it's $22 a piece!
I called them too just before I replaced them with my LEDs and they quoted me the same price. I remember telling the parts guy are you kidding? I kind of chuckled and hung up.

Interestingly, I think these bulbs have a TSB on them so if anyone wants the dealership to replace them for "free", check out this link.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-065.htm

Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 PM

What about the Climate control globes?!? I think they are smaller again. Anyone can confirm for me?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:59 PM

Any how toos for the shifter and climate control???
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Holly smokes those LED are HOT, well maybe the terminology now is SICK.....I say cool as hell. Does anyone have picks of the back of the assembly for the air vents?

I still have not taken the time to remove mine to change the light bulbs but from reading this post, the longer I wait, the better it gets.....will plasma bulbs be next!

Chucky.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by 00i30T
Holly smokes those LED are HOT, well maybe the terminology now is SICK.....I say cool as hell. Does anyone have picks of the back of the assembly for the air vents?

I still have not taken the time to remove mine to change the light bulbs but from reading this post, the longer I wait, the better it gets.....will plasma bulbs be next!

Chucky.
Don't wait. Literally takes 5 minutes, maybe less to change the clock lights.

To those wanting to change climate control lights - check the 5th gen forum. I know folks have done that in there and the process/hardware should be virtually identical.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:51 PM

What a coincidence. After reading this post again, I just noticed that my climate control lights are not all there. The temp up down button is totally dead. I actually have an extra climate control unit somewhere in my house. When I find it, I'll experiment with it and see what I can do with LEDs and keep you all updated. Maybe we can come up with another super bright LED MOD LOL , perhaps even another write up…
Old 09-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Junction produce sells the clocks.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any ideas if i've replaced the bulbs with those leds from AUTOLUMINATION but they still won't light up? The clock works fine, but the bulbs still don't light. Is there a fuse somewhere that I don't know about?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:28 PM

maybe its the polarity? i thought mine didnt work also, but then i just turned the LED around and it worked.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:31 PM

Hey i can use those leds for the clock for the climate controls as well????
Old 09-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

DeceptI30n, thanks! That's exactly what I needed to do...now my clock lights are working! Now i just need to wait till tonight to see what they look like!

NOCturnalI30...no, the leds aren't the same for the climate control from what I was able to determine. I had the same problem, clock and climate lights out (one of them, the fan/ambient temp light). I actually got the bulb for the fan control from the dealer, $5.31 I think was the price. Expensive yes, but i just needed the one and wanted it fixed. The funny thing is, the lights for the clock from the dealer are $15 a piece! Almost as if they know the lights will go out often in the clock...
Old 09-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Can I get the OEM style bulbs from say Radio Shack or a Auto Parts store?

Anyone have the details on the part number, volatage, etc?

Thanks.
Chucky.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:45 AM

Great thread! I just ordered my clock bulbs from autolumination. The bulbs I took out have a blue cap on them. I ordered those super white ones. Hopefully, the blue caps wil stil fit. If not I hope the white lights aren't odd compared to the other one son my console/dash...If anyone is thinking about not messing with it, its so simple took 5 minutes to do this (but use soft cloth on top of screedriver or u wil end up with scratches)and I dont have any experience with auto stuff..
Old 09-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by psk79
Great thread! I just ordered my clock bulbs from autolumination. The bulbs I took out have a blue cap on them. I ordered those super white ones. Hopefully, the blue caps wil stil fit. If not I hope the white lights aren't odd compared to the other one son my console/dash...If anyone is thinking about not messing with it, its so simple took 5 minutes to do this (but use soft cloth on top of screedriver or u wil end up with scratches)and I dont have any experience with auto stuff..
I doubt you will need the bulb condoms. I used generic white leds, and like most, they are a bluish-white which matches fairly well.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:34 PM

Thanks teksurv. I think those bulb condoms wont fit on the leds anyway... I will just use the superwhite leds from autolumination?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by psk79
Thanks teksurv. I think those bulb condoms wont fit on the leds anyway... I will just use the superwhite leds from autolumination?
Well, people in this post used them with good results. I had some generics left over from replacing bulbs on my Z. If you do use leds that don't have resistors, get 470 ohm resistors and wire in.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:51 AM

I have no idea whats wrong with my climate control bulbs. The bulb for the Ambient temp, fan controls was dead for a while now. All of a sudden, its working again now. Is this a loose connection ? What kind of bulbs does the climate control uses?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the exact same problem with my clock lights going out and the fan panel cluster lights out as well....

For the Clock Light, how many LED's do I need to purchase?

Thanks...
Old 11-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by underground
I have the exact same problem with my clock lights going out and the fan panel cluster lights out as well....

For the Clock Light, how many LED's do I need to purchase?

Thanks...
Replied to your IM...but you only need 2 for the clock.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replied to your IM...but you only need 2 for the clock.
Thanks man...

Now just need to figure out what to buy for the fan switch console box, as that box does not light up as well?

Quick Reply: Infiniti Clock Light replacement?