Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Sirius Satelite Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:06 PM

Sirius Satelite Radio Installation

(I posted this on the Audio page but nothing so please don't re-route this.)

One of my friends is wondering how hard the installation of a Sirius Satelite radio station would be going into an I30 (with stock bose system).

Is there anything he should watch out for or be aware of? He is also questioning how the radio frequency tune in feed (meaning the dialing into station 87.7 or whatever it is to get the feed from the satelite system through to the speakers) is for this setup.

Are there any extra outputs/inputs on the back of a stock I30 bose set up (so you wouldn't have to do the dial in set up)?

Any feedback on the installation of this system and how it is working out for you is appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys.

-Steve

Yokohama AVS Sport
Budget Y-Pipe, Greddy SP2,
Injen CAI
GC / AGX Setup
Brembo X-drilled & Slotted Rotors / EBC Pads
Clear Bumper with amber
Carbon Fiber Dash, Al. Bezel, Al. Door Insers,
Levoc **** & E-brake (CF)
Phoenix Digital 7.2" TV & PS2
Sony X-plod Flip face to 4 6.5 Infinities
Old 12-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Installation will depend on the model he gets. I have XM so am not familiar with the Sirius equipment. It could be as simple as plugging in to the cigarette lighter or as complicated as wiring into the fuse box and ground. The antenna will need to be routed to the outside. I ran mine into the console, under the rear floor mat to the passenger side, along the rail into the trunk and have it sitting on the trunk lid near the rear window. No issues with receiving a signal there. Many people route to the roof along the window but you have to be careful of leaks.
He will then need to go through the available frequencies to see which one has the least noise. Tune the Sirius box and the FM to the same station and he should hear music.
The Bose system does not have rear inputs, but if he has a cassette player and the cassette adapter, he will get better sound than the FM modulator.
I gave up on both and just added an Alpine XM to my Alpine tuner for clear sound.

Good luck with the install.

Tigger
Old 12-27-2005, 09:15 AM
BK1
Hello

One question. If you buy a separate car unit, and have a plug and play at home does that count as 2 subscriptions? If not, I'll probably buy a car unit because all that jazz that comes with wiring up the plug and play seems to be a PITA.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:49 AM

XM charges per receiver. I assume Sirius does the same.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:24 AM

bump. There's gotta be more out there with info for me.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:17 PM
BK1
Hello

I live in NYC, put it in my car yesterday. I get good reception when I leave the antenna on the dashboard. I pushed it all the way forward towards the vent, and I left a sticky pad under it so it doesn't slip around. The ones they sell at office depot so your telephone doesnt slide around on your dash. It gets staticky sometimes, but thats understandable with all the buildings around. I didn't want to mess around with anything outside of my car, leads to alot of trouble when you park on the street.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by BK1
I live in NYC, put it in my car yesterday. I get good reception when I leave the antenna on the dashboard. I pushed it all the way forward towards the vent, and I left a sticky pad under it so it doesn't slip around. The ones they sell at office depot so your telephone doesnt slide around on your dash. It gets staticky sometimes, but thats understandable with all the buildings around. I didn't want to mess around with anything outside of my car, leads to alot of trouble when you park on the street.
Thanks for the input. Ill advise my friend of your idea of putting the antenna on the dash.

-Steve
Old 12-29-2005, 07:18 AM

I put it in my 02 Max a few days ago. I ran the antenna wire under the passenger side door moldings to the rear deck and placed the antenna there. It doesn't move at all and the reception is great. I also have a home setup for the Sirius and you can use it with the same subscription. I use the FM frequency also and got a lot of interference but swithced stations and now it sounds good....make sure the station you pick has no other signals coming to it as I think that was my problem.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 PM
BK1
Hello

Yeah, make sure you pick a really clear (nothing on it at all) station.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:51 PM

Install is easy....run the antenna to the receiver...and i 3M taped it to the pop out little drawer above the cigarette lighter...

I lose signal a lot though....anyone else have that problem?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:41 AM
BK1
Hello

I guess I don't have that problem alot because there's probably alot of repeaters on the buildings in the city. Maybe you have to put yours outside.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:42 PM

here is mine in my 02. this was a test fit, i mounted the radio a little higher. Ran the power cord, ant thru glovebox to rear deck, station on 88.1 and im done! sirius > XM better sports and HS
Old 01-13-2006, 04:55 AM

OK here's what you need to do. I have had Sirius radio for the last 5 years. You have to put your antenna somewhere that the signal can get to it all the time. You have to remember that the signal isn't like a radio signal that moves in flat horizontal lines with the ground. It is a sattelite signal that is coming straight down from the sky. So that being said the best spots inside the car are in the back dash or on top of the dashboard somewhere. The most optimal location is on the roof or on the trunk lid. The frequency tuner doesn't work for me because down here in Texas there are stations on all of the d**n channels that they chose. So I went out and bought one of those cassettes that have a headphone jack attached. I get the BEST sound out of it. Lastly I have 2 receivers one for me and one for my woman. Sirius charges additional for the second receiver. But I have 5 docking stations for them I have two set up at home one in each car and one in my office at work. There is not an additional charge for the docking stations other than the purchase price the bonus for having 2 receivers his & hers is that I dont have to search for presets when I use her car. I just take my tuner.

Later,
Transporter